Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,843 members, 7,810,253 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 02:30 AM

Fashion Sketches - Fashion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Fashion / Fashion Sketches (3108 Views)

My Fashion Sketches/illustration / Fashion Sketches And Nigerian Fashions Designs / My Fashion Sketches (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Fashion Sketches by gongo88: 5:20am On Sep 23, 2013
Hello everyone, pls I usually make fashion sketches in my sparetime, and I currently have over 250 sketches. What do u advice I do with them?

1 Like

Re: Fashion Sketches by trendyME(f): 6:36am On Sep 23, 2013
gongo88: Hello everyone, pls I usually make fashion sketches in my sparetime, and I currently have over 250 sketches. What do u advice I do with them?
Go to a fashion school for formal training then when you're there and they decide to give you a project, use some of your designs or show your fashion tutor. He'll/she'll know what to do. Good Luck. do
Re: Fashion Sketches by k2fight: 5:47am On Sep 28, 2013
Fashion Sketching for Untrained Artists Industry shortcuts enable you to coax creative visions out .The Boston Ballet perform is something that refreshes and inspires me .

For More Info On Jiu Jitsu Gear check out K2 Fight Gear Website
Re: Fashion Sketches by Onegai(f): 8:59am On Sep 28, 2013
Cool. Now, this answer is for anyone interested, not just the OP.
I've got some questions for you: are your sketches in colour, do you show back and front view, any proportion to your drawings?
Next set of questions: when you sketch, do you think about fabric options, finishings, patterns, how you're going to cut and fit to which body type, what type of person are you trying to dress (Tiwa Savage, Genevieve or Tonto Dike)?

The answers to each set of questions will guide a bit to showing whether you're a fashion illustrator or a designer. Both are different careers.

Next, if you're serious about it, you need to go to Art school (a good uni that teaches textile design, like Enugu, UNN, Zaria or Yabatech) in Nigeria or a Design school abroad (Ghana has a very good uni for this). I haven't met any graduate of fashion school in Naija who knows much, sadly. Your foundation and technique must be good, because you're competing with the likes of E.A.T, Deola Sagoe, Nouva couture, Jewel by Lisa and co.

Finally, do your research. You should know every designer in the major fashion countried (USA, UK, France, Italy, Japan and Brazil). Then refine your research to those whose work you admire. And when I mean designer, I mean Couture and Ready to Wear, not high street fashion.

I've given you all these hints. Now, it's upto you to find out more, because your determination should make you do all the research in the world , and come back and pepper me with informed questions. Or you can go the Naija route and say "thanks, now tell me which website are you talking about, what's the name of the school, which designer, give me this and that". Which is to say, you expect everything handed to you on a plate, without you doing work.

Good luck, and I hope you surprise me with some great questions smiley

4 Likes

Re: Fashion Sketches by mekuilis(m): 1:13pm On Oct 05, 2013
Hi Onegai...your post shows you have an indepth knowledge when it comes to fashion. Please I will like you to assist me on something very important...thanks. Please will you be kind enough to drop your contact so I could reach you. My mail address is dmekuilis@yahoo.com
Re: Fashion Sketches by Adeebiwa09(m): 1:25pm On Oct 05, 2013
Nt only u meikuilis, me 2 my email s adeebiwa09@gmail.com. Infact d wat d OP said is d same tin i v. V nt bin able 2 go n learn tailor cos of skul and sme oda tins. Then, i use to hear abt seling one's designs
Re: Fashion Sketches by Onegai(f): 7:23pm On Oct 05, 2013
Hi guys, I do know something about Fashion and Art and Entertainment. However, why don't we answer our questions online here on this forum, as I'm not comfortable giving out my email address, as I use it for mostly work purposes and your emails may get lost in the pile of work stuff I normally get. What can I help you with?

1 Like

Re: Fashion Sketches by mekuilis(m): 10:51pm On Oct 07, 2013
I understand Onegai.. Please am trying to put up a platform through which up and coming designers can be able to showcase their skills,get refined by meeting professionals and also get an opportunity to get to the top of their 'game'....tanx.
Re: Fashion Sketches by Adeebiwa09(m): 12:12pm On Oct 08, 2013
Onegai 4 starter wuld want 2 knw abt colours of recent got 2 knw abt nude colour and metalics. So let do colours pics wuld b highly apreciated
Re: Fashion Sketches by Onegai(f): 8:06pm On Oct 08, 2013
What you're talking about is organizing a fashion event, so you need to be business-oriented and know the people involved in those kind of things. That takes networking. Are you attending high-profile fashion events? You should be.

And to the 2nd question about metallics and nud-e colours, you should check online and do your research on colours, what is trendy, what are classic colours and colours for appropriate seasons and events.
Re: Fashion Sketches by mekuilis(m): 9:27am On Oct 09, 2013
You are on point Onegai...truth is,I don't have a strong network to pull this off. Reading your post,I was thinking you might know people who might be interested and help me pull this off...tanx alot.
Re: Fashion Sketches by Onegai(f): 6:16am On Oct 10, 2013
Please refer back to my original post: it's up to you to find out those people who those people are and network with them. Go knock on their doors till one gives you an opportunity, and if not, create your opportunity. Everyone is out there creating their chances, no-one will give you their spot on a plate. Please do the hardwork. Goodluck.
Re: Fashion Sketches by mekuilis(m): 6:29am On Oct 11, 2013
Aight....Thanks Onegai. See you at the top.

1 Like

Re: Fashion Sketches by gongo88: 2:28pm On Oct 11, 2013
Please I can upload some pictures of my sketches so that u know what I am talking about.
Re: Fashion Sketches by trendyME(f): 9:08am On Oct 16, 2013
Hey Onegal I've been trying to look for a fashion university but its so hard to find any. They are mostly 6 months programmes in Nigeria.can you reccommend any fashion university
Re: Fashion Sketches by trendyME(f): 9:09am On Oct 16, 2013
Where can I find a fashion sketch book in Nigeria. Because I use a sketchpad but I need a sketchbook with a croquois
Re: Fashion Sketches by Onegai(f): 10:07am On Oct 16, 2013
trendyME: Hey Onegal I've been trying to look for a fashion university but its so hard to find any. They are mostly 6 months programmes in Nigeria.can you reccommend any fashion university

I don't know any fashion schools in Nigeria that I would trust myself to go to. If you read my original post carefully, I mentioned universities/tech schools in Nigeria whom I felt offered a good foundation course in Art and Textiles, I've met their alumni and they ended up going to learn how to sew and design on their own after that. Some came out good and others cames out fantastic (and popular). FIT and CSM are in the US and the UK. Do your research and figure out what would work out best for you, staying in Nigeria and studying or going abroad to school.
I find myself wanting to buy things from abroad, but then realised the greatest artists used what was around them to create Beauty. If you cannot buy something, make it or make another thing work for you. Wetin dey for Sokoto, e dey for shokoto.

1 Like

Re: Fashion Sketches by trendyME(f): 4:18pm On Oct 16, 2013
Thanks a lot
Re: Fashion Sketches by lechiffre: 1:22am On Oct 17, 2013
gongo88: Hello everyone, pls I usually make fashion sketches in my sparetime, and I currently have over 250 sketches. What do u advice I do with them?

Perhaps you could make money with these sketchesOf course, you are not talking about that big giant fashion industries right now, that could happen may be some time later when you have enough experiences.
For now, suffice it to say that you aim for the smaller fish first. And for this, you could direct your sketches to any of those clothing vendors in and or around your city. Either you show them your collections or creations to get them printed for some t-shirts or you may ask the vendors’ owner to let you draw some designs for their new products.
You may, of course, try to contact the various different online clothing vendors as well and send them some samples of your drawings just to let them know of what you are capable of making or how your creativity could help them increasing their own sales. And who knows from these smaller experiences of having a direct contact with the real fashion markets, slowly but surely you have actually been paving your own way to enter some real big fashion industries, right?
This was brought to you courtesy of koboheights.
Welcome to koboheights mobile. Koboheights is an online combination of an e-consultancy and an e-library,we provide advisory services concerning how to convert your interests, talent and passion into earning avenues
To illustrate:
If you have an interest in music all you have to do is apply for our kobolane e-course which is free we shall provide, learning articles followed by question answers session with our consultants, employment opportunities , showcase products at discounted prices of course whether you purchase these products or not is at your own discretion etc.
We have managed to help people through different aspects of life . Please check out our e-course topics
EMPLOYMENT:
-Guide to Become an Advertising Copywriter 
- Guide to Become a Book Editor 
- Guide to Become a Book Publisher
- Guide to Become a Business Consultant 
- Guide to Become a Human Resources Professional
- Guide to Become a Real Estate Agent
-Guide to getting employed  
BUSINESS:
-Online researcher
- Guide to Become a Bakery Owner 
- Guide to Become a Bar Owner 
- Guide to Become a Bookstore Owner 
- Guide to Become a Cleaning Business Owner
- Guide to Become a Gift Basket Business Owner 
- Guide to Become a Gift Shop Owner 
Guide to Become a Restaurant Owner 
Guide to Become a Social Entrepreneur
 ENTERTAINMENT
-Guide to become a radio broadcast journalist
- Guide to Become a Freelance Writer 
- Guide to Become a Movie Reviewer 
- Guide to Become a Mystery Writer
-Guide to Become a Pop Star
-Guide to Become a Published Writer
- Guide to Become a Recording Artist
-Guide to Become a Songwriter 
-Guide to Become a Stand-Up Comic
-Guide to Become a Screenwriter
LOVE:
- Guide to Become a Matchmaker 
-  Guide to Become a Motivational Speaker 
-Guide to Become a Romance Writer 
- How to start a wedding photography business
Note however that these courses don't attract any charges so feel free to go through them
Re: Fashion Sketches by Onegai(f): 8:57am On Oct 17, 2013
To the OP, go online, buy a fashion magazine. Find the contact of a small but good designer or a stylist. Send them an email or call. Tell them you want to intern with them, for free. Yes, I said for free. You want knowledge, you have to pay for it somehow. Eventually one will reply and say come in. Go and work your butt off. That will give you experience and contacts.
Carry out the steps I listed in my first post whilst doing this. The main problem I see with interns/interviewees is that they show up for a meeting unprepared. So do your research, because believe me, someone else will go there, know when the designer/stylist started their business, know their esthetic, know about what is going on globally, bring out coloured sketches (and even some ideas on what fabrics to use) and be eager to work. And will get a job. Not all of them will reply your email or text or call, but you just need one "yes".

The last reply before this was a good one. However, if I own an online store or any business, I will resist taking on someone with no experience and no idea of delivering business orders. Which is what you are right now. Now, you can still go ahead, apply and try learning on the job. It's upto you decide how you want to mold your future.

(1) (Reply)

Splendid Fashion! New Ankara Styles / Tips On Rocking Agbada And Lookign Fab In It (must Read) / Learn How To Tie Wrapper (wrap Style) For Free

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.