Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,320 members, 7,815,622 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 03:26 PM

Apostle Peter And The Pope - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Apostle Peter And The Pope (1108 Views)

Certificate Saga: Apostle Suleiman's 2015 Prophecies: See No 47- / Full Text Of Apostle Suleman's Prophesies For 2014 / Apostle Peter And The Principle Of Inclusivity Via Exclusivity Or The Remnant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Apostle Peter And The Pope by Nobody: 3:49am On Sep 24, 2013
Fellas, I've been pondering lately about the connection Apostle Peter has with the Pope but I seem not to have found any. All I see is a big difference. Your opinions about this matter will be highly appreciated. The things I need enlightment about are:
1) Why is/are the Pope(s) treated with pompousity, given tittles such as Vicar of Jesus Christ, Successor to the Prince of the Apostles, Supreme Pontiff of the Universal Church, e.t.c, given the honours assigned to a head of State while Peter (supposesdly the first pope and bishop of Rome) was treated like a mere fisherman that he was? Remember what Peter did at Acts 10: 25, 26?
2) Is the Pope Peter's descendant? If so, how?
3) Why was Rome, Italy chosen as the sit of the Pope and not Jerusalem? Was it chosen by Apostle Peter? If so, why, since it wasn't stated in the Bible that he was in Rome?
4) Why should the Pope have primacy, claiming to be Peter's successor? Remember that the other apostles NEVER treated Peter with primacy, if they do, they wouldn't have disputed about who is the greatest among them (Luke 22: 24-26).
5) Since Christ is the head of the church, does he need successors since he lives forever and ever?
6) Why didn't (one of) the (past) Pope object to inhuman killings of about 20,000 men, women & children carried out by the Catholic crusaders on the Albigenses (a.k.a Cathari) and also the driving away of Muslims and Jews from Spain?
7) During the medieval times, the Pope sold indulgences. Why should that be since even Jesus Christ drove away traders from the temple in Jerusalem?
Why? Why?? Why Should we believe in the Pope at all?
Re: Apostle Peter And The Pope by italo: 7:27am On Sep 24, 2013
If you are convinced that Pope Francis is the successor of St. Peter who is the Vicar of Christ on earth...who Christ gave "the keys to the kingdom of heaven..." will you become Catholic...or will you look for other excuses to justify your current position?

My guess is you will do the latter...so why should anyone bother?
Re: Apostle Peter And The Pope by Nobody: 9:06am On Sep 24, 2013
Interesting... I was wondering how the pope really became Peter's successor and how Rome became the headquarters of the Church.
Re: Apostle Peter And The Pope by Nobody: 9:13am On Sep 24, 2013
italo: If you are convinced that Pope Francis is the successor of St. Peter who is the Vicar of Christ on earth...who Christ gave "the keys to the kingdom of heaven..." will you become Catholic...or will you look for other excuses to justify your current position?

My guess is you will do the latter...so why should anyone bother?
that's no answer to my question. I NEED ANSWERS !!!
Re: Apostle Peter And The Pope by Enigma(m): 9:20am On Sep 24, 2013
The apostle Peter was never a "pope" anything! The Roman Catholics are simply spreading propaganda and falsehoods!

And for people pondering these things with honesty, consider:

- Was or was Peter not "bishop" in Jerusalem? That's where he started out afterall!
- Was Peter ever Bishop of Jerusalem? This one helps us to start seeing the problems with the monarchical 'Bishop of X town' business!
- Was Peter ever Bishop in Antioch? We know he was in Antioch.
- Was Peter ever Bishop of Antioch? Again we know he was in Antioch and that he was there before going to Rome, if indeed he went to Rome?

More questions:

- When was Peter in Rome?
- Who ordained him "Bishop of Rome"?
- How was he ordained/appointed Bishop of Rome?
- Was the apostle Paul also bishop in Rome?

Even more:

When Paul wrote the book of Romans, how come he did not mention Peter?
Was he writing to a flock over which Peter was already "bishop"?

When Paul was writing letters from Rome during his detention, how come he never indicated that Peter too was in Rome?

smiley
Re: Apostle Peter And The Pope by italo: 10:02am On Sep 24, 2013
Leo Adewale:
that's no answer to my question. I NEED ANSWERS !!!

Are you sure you want answers? Havent you already made up your mind...and no "answers" can make you change your mind?

An evil generation seeks for a sign!

Maybe you should tell us and yourself the whereabouts of the "keys of the kingdom of God" that Jesus gave Peter.
Re: Apostle Peter And The Pope by kenjudy(m): 10:23am On Sep 24, 2013
And tomorrow people like u op will continue to either blame God or wonder why he allowed dangote to be soo rich while u wallow in poverty. U no go use ur time for something better and leave other people alone? As if u really want answers to criticism.
Re: Apostle Peter And The Pope by Enigma(m): 10:30am On Sep 24, 2013
Leo Adewale: Fellas, I've been pondering lately about the connection Apostle Peter has with the Pope but I seem not to have found any. All I see is a big difference. Your opinions about this matter will be highly appreciated.

There are big big big differences. Huge! smiley

Leo Adewale: The things I need enlightment about are:
1) Why is/are the Pope(s) treated with pompousity, given tittles such as Vicar of Jesus Christ, Successor to the Prince of the Apostles, Supreme Pontiff of the Universal Church, e.t.c, given the honours assigned to a head of State while Peter (supposesdly the first pope and bishop of Rome) was treated like a mere fisherman that he was? Remember what Peter did at Acts 10: 25, 26?

You see am! Peter referred to himself as a fellow elder when speaking to other elders and when speaking to other Christians, he called them people of like precious faith. Of course you do not see any of the pompous rubbish associated with Roman Catholic "popes". What is more the "popes" gave themselves those nonsense titles in the quest for power both over state governments and other Christians!

Leo Adewale: 2) Is the Pope Peter's descendant? If so, how?

I think you mean "successor"; I will say No, or not particularly, or not necessarily. And when the time is right I will be willing to address that specific matter of "apostolic succession". smiley

Leo Adewale: 3) Why was Rome, Italy chosen as the sit of the Pope and not Jerusalem? Was it chosen by Apostle Peter? If so, why, since it wasn't stated in the Bible that he was in Rome?

Politics, economics and circumstance. The canons of the ecumenical councils especially canon 28 of the Council of Chalcedon and canon 3 (I think) of the Council of Constantinople let us know that one or even the major reason is simply because Rome was the capital of the empire until Constantinople started to challenge later on.

Leo Adewale: 4) Why should the Pope have primacy, claiming to be Peter's successor? Remember that the other apostles NEVER treated Peter with primacy, if they do, they wouldn't have disputed about who is the greatest among them (Luke 22: 24-26).

The Roman Catholic claim of primacy is a fraudulent nonsense. Actually, other Churches were/are even willing to grant Rome a "primacy of honour" but even that is not enough for the Roman Catholics who are actually contradicting Jesus Christ in their claim of "primacy"!

Leo Adewale: 5) Since Christ is the head of the church, does he need successors since he lives forever and ever?

Christ IS and will always be the Head of the Church. What He has given us are shepherds and administrators in the form of the apostles, prophets, evangelists, pastors and teachers. smiley

Leo Adewale: 6) Why didn't (one of) the (past) Pope object to inhuman killings of about 20,000 men, women & children carried out by the Catholic crusaders on the Albigenses (a.k.a Cathari) and also the driving away of Muslims and Jews from Spain?

I will let Roman Catholics answer this one. However, I will point out that historically some of their so called "popes" were sooooo bad that even some Roman Catholics called them anti-Christs!

Leo Adewale: 7) During the medieval times, the Pope sold indulgences. Why should that be since even Jesus Christ drove away traders from the temple in Jerusalem?

Historically, they not only sold indulgences. They were actually selling and buying the papacy itself! wink

Leo Adewale: Why? Why?? Why Should we believe in the Pope at all?

No reason. It is not necessary and it is not even Christ-like.

smiley
Re: Apostle Peter And The Pope by italo: 10:43am On Sep 24, 2013
@ Leo Adewale,

I believe you are satisfied now.

You wanted "answers." You've got "answers."

God bless you.
Re: Apostle Peter And The Pope by Nobody: 1:02pm On Sep 24, 2013
@italo, no be fight oo. U actually didn't answered my questions, yet u issued beef to the person who did. I would have love 2 hear ur opinion.

@Enigma, thanks jare. Ur answers are highy appreciated.
Re: Apostle Peter And The Pope by Nobody: 1:06pm On Sep 24, 2013
italo: @ Leo Adewale,

God bless you.

God bless you.

God bless you.

God bless you.

i think most times it is better to ignore this morons.The tone of his "questions" did not even look like onee who is sincerely looking for answers.I justvread it and deceided to pres the ignore button.It is not everyone whom you engage in an argument.
Re: Apostle Peter And The Pope by woky: 1:21pm On Sep 24, 2013
chukwudi44:

I justvread it and deceided to pres the ignore button.
same here..
Re: Apostle Peter And The Pope by italo: 1:34pm On Sep 24, 2013
Leo Adewale: @italo, no be fight oo. U actually didn't answered my questions, yet u issued beef to the person who did. I would have love 2 hear ur opinion.

What did I say that suggested any "fight" or "beef?"

There is no need for my opinion.

You wanted "answers" and you've got "answers."

You should be satisfied by now.

If you are not satisfied with the answers, then...

God bless you and keep you.

May God continue to give you "answers."
Re: Apostle Peter And The Pope by woky: 2:49pm On Sep 24, 2013
italo:

What did I say that suggested any "fight" or "beef?"

There is no need for my opinion.

You wanted "answers" and you've got "answers."

You should be satisfied by now.

If you are not satisfied with the answers, then...

God bless you and keep you.

May God continue to give you "answers."
smiling*
Re: Apostle Peter And The Pope by kenjudy(m): 7:52am On Sep 29, 2013
Enigma:

There are big big big differences. Huge! smiley

You see am! Peter referred to himself as a fellow elder when speaking to other elders and when speaking to other Christians, he called them people of like precious faith. Of course you do not see any of the pompous rubbish associated with Roman Catholic "popes". What is more the "popes" gave themselves those nonsense titles in the quest for power both over state governments and other Christians!

I think you mean "successor"; I will say No, or not particularly, or not necessarily. And when the time is right I will be willing to address that specific matter of "apostolic succession". smiley

Politics, economics and circumstance. The canons of the ecumenical councils especially canon 28 of the Council of Chalcedon and canon 3 (I think) of the Council of Constantinople let us know that one or even the major reason is simply because Rome was the capital of the empire until Constantinople started to challenge later on.

The Roman Catholic claim of primacy is a fraudulent nonsense. Actually, other Churches were/are even willing to grant Rome a "primacy of honour" but even that is not enough for the Roman Catholics who are actually contradicting Jesus Christ in their claim of "primacy"!

Christ IS and will always be the Head of the Church. What He has given us are shepherds and administrators in the form of the apostles, prophets, evangelists, pastors and teachers. smiley

I will let Roman Catholics answer this one. However, I will point out that historically some of their so called "popes" were sooooo bad that even some Roman Catholics called them anti-Christs!

Historically, they not only sold indulgences. They were actually selling and buying the papacy itself! wink

No reason. It is not necessary and it is not even Christ-like.

smiley

Chai! See vexation ooo! My guy sorry u hear. Maybe na RCC kill ur grand papa, come paralize ur papa join. I no blame u, I blame ur thieving pastors for brainwashing all of una. God bless ur hustle shaa. Wetin u dey find for my mouth, u no go everly see am. Boko haram like u!
Re: Apostle Peter And The Pope by Enigma(m): 7:59am On Sep 29, 2013
Obviously your "Church" does not teach you manners! On top of that you also have no home training!

It is a poor reflection on your parents and on your "Church" and its "Priests/Fathers" and disgraceful "popes"; in fact some of your church's "popes" have been the most vile, disgusting and disgraceful human beings to ever pretend to be Christians. wink

smiley
Re: Apostle Peter And The Pope by italo: 4:38pm On Sep 29, 2013
Veni, Sancte Spíritus, reple tuórum corda fidélium, et tui amóris in eis ignem accénde.
Re: Apostle Peter And The Pope by Nobody: 6:16pm On Oct 01, 2013
italo: Veni, Sancte Spíritus, reple tuórum corda fidélium, et tui amóris in eis ignem accénde.
please translate....
Re: Apostle Peter And The Pope by italo: 7:11pm On Oct 01, 2013
Leo Adewale: please translate....

Come, Holy Spirit, fill the hearts of Thy faithful and enkindle in them the fire of Thy love.

(The full prayer continues)

V. Send forth Thy Spirit and they shall be created.
R. And Thou shalt renew the face of the earth.

Let us pray. O God, Who didst instruct the hearts of the faithful by the light of the Holy Spirit, grant us in the same Spirit to be truly wise, and ever to rejoice in His consolation. Through Christ our Lord.

Amen.
Re: Apostle Peter And The Pope by woky: 10:00pm On Oct 01, 2013
italo:

Come, Holy Spirit, fill the hearts of Thy faithful and enkindle in them the fire of Thy love.

(The full prayer continues)

V. Send forth Thy Spirit and they shall be created.
R. And Thou shalt renew the face of the earth.

Let us pray. O God, Who didst instruct the hearts of the faithful by the light of the Holy Spirit, grant us in the same Spirit to be truly wise, and ever to rejoice in His consolation. Through Christ our Lord.

Amen.
and thou o lord shall open my lips
Re: Apostle Peter And The Pope by freeradical(m): 12:11pm On Oct 02, 2013
And my tongue shall announce thy praise!
Re: Apostle Peter And The Pope by freeradical(m): 12:23pm On Oct 02, 2013
Leo Adewale: Fellas, I've been pondering lately about the connection Apostle Peter has with the Pope but I seem not to have found any. All I see is a big difference. Your opinions about this matter will be highly appreciated. The things I need enlightment about are:
2) Is the Pope Peter's descendant? If so, how?
3) Why was Rome, Italy chosen as the sit of the Pope and not Jerusalem? Was it chosen by Apostle Peter? If so, why, since it wasn't stated in the Bible that he was in Rome?
4) Why should the Pope have primacy, claiming to be Peter's successor? Remember that the other apostles NEVER treated Peter with primacy, if they do, they wouldn't have disputed about who is the greatest among them (Luke 22: 24-26).
5) Since Christ is the head of the church, does he need successors since he lives forever and ever?
6) Why didn't (one of) the (past) Pope object to inhuman killings of about 20,000 men, women & children carried out by the Catholic crusaders on the Albigenses (a.k.a Cathari) and also the driving away of Muslims and Jews from Spain?
7) During the medieval times, the Pope sold indulgences. Why should that be since even Jesus Christ drove away traders from the temple in Jerusalem?
Why? Why?? Why Should we believe in the Pope at all?
Mr. Leo Adewale. You obviously started dis thread to ridicule the Holy Roman Catholic Church and its very wise of the catholic brethren to ignore you but lemme indulge myself to tell you that the very xtianity u profess was handed down to you by d same Church you scorn. Whether u hate d Church or love it, it will take nothing from d glory of d Church for the Church is guided by d holy spirit. U only speak out of ur very limited knowledge of things u know virtually nothing about. The Church has outlived greater evils and challenges and ur attack on d papacy is like throwing a feather on a raging rhino. It won't feel a thing.
Seek ye d truth and d truth will set u free. Not d lies propagated by your pastors. Oops u even do hav a pastor (spiritual head) I thot u said Christ is d head of d Church. How come u have deacons, pastors, bishops and GOs but for d Catholic Church to hav a Vicar has become such a bad thing. Ask d holy spirit to teach u things u dnt understand man.

(1) (Reply)

5 Reasons Why Many Christian Girls Remain Single / Ghosts In Solid Form / All Souls' Day!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 84
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.