Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,939 members, 7,817,750 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 06:34 PM

A Teaching Presented On Law And Grace. Please Read And Learn/comment - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / A Teaching Presented On Law And Grace. Please Read And Learn/comment (1151 Views)

Law and Grace: The Great Reconciliation. / Breaking Gods Law And The Mark Of The Beast...... / Is Freewill A Teaching Or Point Passed Across By The Bible? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

A Teaching Presented On Law And Grace. Please Read And Learn/comment by alexleo(m): 1:21pm On Sep 25, 2013
Here is a teaching on law and grace as presented by my church. Pls go through it, learn or comment for our learning. Its quite a long one but I decided to break it in parts for easy reading. God bless you.

“Ye worship ye know not what: we know what we worship: for salvation is of the Jews” [John:4:22]). Jesus spoke the words that every Jew zealously believed; for many centuries ago the promise had been given to faithful Abraham by the Lord, “In thee shall all families of the earth be blessed” [Genesis:12:3]).

Covenant at Sinai
The nation of Israel was the direct result and partial fulfilment of that promise to Abraham. At Mount Sinai, God outlined His Covenant with the Children of Israel; and they, in turn, endorsed the Covenant wholeheartedly as Moses related it to them. Stated in a simplified form, the great and wonderful call of God to the Children of Israel meant that God desired the Israelites to be a holy nation and a kingdom of priests -– a peculiar treasure unto God. They were to be messengers of God’s Covenant and evangelise, or win, the world and bring all men into God’s Covenant. God revealed Himself to the Children of Israel in an unmistakable and unforgettable way. He gave them the Ten Commandments, written with the finger of God upon the tables of stone, and certain laws, which Moses wrote in a book. God made the Israelites the custodians and guardians of these oracles of God, and marked the Children of Israel as the family and means whereby the Abrahamic Covenant would be finally fulfilled to the whole world through the birth of the Messiah.
Re: A Teaching Presented On Law And Grace. Please Read And Learn/comment by alexleo(m): 1:23pm On Sep 25, 2013
The Purpose of the Law
The Law was beautiful and glorious because it pointed to the perfect Sacrifice to come, the Lord Jesus Christ. God intended that the Law should be educational in nature to the Children of Israel -– not that the Law in itself could bring salvation. “Wherefore the law was our schoolmaster to bring us unto Christ, that we might be justified by faith” [Galatians:3:24]). “For the law having a shadow of good things to come, and not the very image of the things, can never with those sacrifices which they offered year by year continually make the comers thereunto perfect. . . . For it is not possible that the blood of bulls and of goats should take away sins” [Hebrews:10:1], [Hebrews:10:4]).

Truly there were some outstanding examples of righteous men under the Law -– men who were saved and sanctified; but their righteousness stemmed not from the works of the Law but from their faith in God and obedience to His Word. “Time would fail me to tell of Gideon, and of Barak, and of Samson, and of Jephthah; of David also, and Samuel, and of the prophets: who through faith subdued kingdoms, wrought righteousness, obtained promises, stopped the mouths of lions, . . . these all, having obtained a good report through faith, received not the promise: God having provided some better thing for us, that they without us should not be made perfect” [Hebrews:11:32-33], [Hebrews:11:39];[Hebrews:11:40]).
Re: A Teaching Presented On Law And Grace. Please Read And Learn/comment by alexleo(m): 1:24pm On Sep 25, 2013
The Dispensation of Grace
The “better thing” that God provided for us is the Gospel of Jesus Christ. Time and again the Scriptures foretold the day in which the Lord would open the door of grace to the whole world. “Behold, thou shalt call a nation that thou knowest not, and nations that knew not thee shall run unto thee because of the LORD thy God, and for the Holy One of Israel; for he hath glorified thee” [Isaiah:55:5]).

The birth of Jesus Christ, the Messiah, marked the beginning of a new dispensation in God’s dealings with men-– the dispensation of Grace. The time had come when all limits were swept away, all bounds of nationality were passed over, and God’s grace was carried directly unto all men. Jesus said to the woman of Samaria: “The hour cometh, when ye shall neither in this mountain, nor yet at Jerusalem, worship the Father. . . . But the hour cometh, and now is, when the true worshippers shall worship the Father in spirit and in truth: for the Father seeketh such to worship him” [John:4:21], [John:4:23]). No longer was there any need for the earthly priesthood; no more did acceptable worship depend upon the centralised Temple ceremony; no more was animal sacrifice or ritual needed to gain the approval of God and the forgiveness of sins. The honest heart, in any country, can come to God with faith in Jesus Christ and true repentance of sins and receive the witness in his heart that his prayer has been heard and his sins forgiven.
Re: A Teaching Presented On Law And Grace. Please Read And Learn/comment by alexleo(m): 1:25pm On Sep 25, 2013
New Covenant
God established the new Covenant to fulfil the old Covenant, having planned the new Covenant from the foundation of the earth. The great price of the new Covenant was that which led the Lord out to Calvary’s cross and caused Him to be crucified there, that through the Blood that was shed, through His life surrendered and yielded up, a Covenant could be made -– not only with the Jews but with all mankind individually -– by which they might be reconciled to God.

That Covenant was for the purpose of bridging the gulf that was made by sin, which separated man from God. The only means by which it could be bridged was the price that Jesus paid, the Blood He shed, the offering He gave, the Atonement He made by which humanity might be reconciled to God. It is a wonderful thing that God has made provision by which man can overcome sin and be restored to Him; and, above all, can have love planted in the heart -– love toward God, love toward man. The law of love is the new law under the dispensation of Grace.
Re: A Teaching Presented On Law And Grace. Please Read And Learn/comment by alexleo(m): 1:27pm On Sep 25, 2013
Law and Grace
The Law was very stringent in its demand for obedience. “Whosoever shall keep the whole law, and yet offend in one point, he is guilty of all” [James:2:10]). “thou shalt not” was the basis of the Law’s commandments, and the Children of Israel learned through the commandments that sin was exceedingly sinful [Romans:7:13]). Do or die was the spirit of the Law.

“As Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, even so must the Son of man be lifted up” that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have eternal life” [John:3:14-15]). The dying Children of Israel looked upon the brazen serpent in the wilderness and lived. In like manner, dying sinners may look to the crucified Son of God and find life; therefore, look and live are watchwords of the Gospel. “Behold the Lamb of God, which taketh away the sin of the world” [John:1:29]).

Many of the precepts of the Laws, as high as they are, fall short of the standard set up by Jesus. The Law was a shadow of good things to come, but when the full light of the Gospel in Jesus Christ shone forth, the shadow disappeared. The Law said, “Eye for eye, tooth for tooth”; but Jesus commanded, “Whosoever shall smite thee on thy right cheek, turn to him the other also” [Matthew:5:39]). The Law said, “Thou shalt not commit adultery”; but Jesus lifted the standard higher: “I say unto you, That whosoever looketh on a woman to lust after her hath committed adultery with her already in his heart” [Matthew:5:28]). “Ye have heard that it was said by them of old time, Thou shalt not kill; and whosoever shall kill shall be in danger of the judgment: but I say unto you, That whosoever is angry with his brother without a cause shall be in danger of the judgement: and whosoever shall say to his brother, Raca, shall be in danger of the council: but whosoever shall say, Thou fool, shall be in danger of hell fire” [Matthew:5:21-22]).

A careful study of the Scriptures will reveal that the Ten Commandments of the Old Testament are reaffirmed in the New Testament on a higher plane than in the Old Testament, with the notable exception of the Fourth Commandment. Nowhere in the New Testament is the commandment concerning the Jewish Sabbath reaffirme
Re: A Teaching Presented On Law And Grace. Please Read And Learn/comment by alexleo(m): 1:29pm On Sep 25, 2013
Controversy
It was often hard for the Israelites to realize that their God was no respecter of persons. Many of the Pharisees, and also some of the converts to Christianity in the apostolic days, clung to the idea that salvation was of and for the Jews alone. They looked upon the people of the Gentile nations as heathen, without hope in this world or in the world to come, unless they became Jews and subscribed to Israel’s Law. “There rose up certain of the sect of the Pharisees which believed, saying, That it was needful to circumcise them, and to command them to keep the law of Moses” [Acts:15:5]).

Paul and Barnabas, chief ambassadors of the Gospel to the Gentiles, could not countenance such teaching for a moment, for they had seen multitudes of Gentiles come directly to God in sincere repentance and receive transformation of life in answer to their prayers. The question was taken to Jerusalem, that the Apostles and elders there might settle the matter.

The Guiding Spirit
The Apostles and elders, guided by the Holy Ghost, realized that the Law had been fulfilled in Christ and was no longer in force. “We have heard, that certain which went out from us have troubled you with words, subverting your souls, saying, Ye must be circumcised, and keep the law: to whom we gave no such commandment: . . . We have sent therefore Judas and Silas, who shall also tell you the same things by mouth. For it seemed good to the Holy Ghost, and to us, to lay upon you no greater burden than these necessary things; that ye abstain from meats offered to idols, and from blood, and from things strangled, and from fornication” [Acts:15:24], [Acts:15:27-29]). They ruled that there was no necessity for circumcision. No mention was made of keeping the holy days, the new moons, or the Sabbath Days; nor was there any mention of eating or of not eating meats, except abstinence from meats offered to idols.

“Let no man therefore judge you in meat, or in drink, or in respect of an holyday, or of the new moon, or of the Sabbath days: which are a shadow of things to come; but the body is of Christ” [Colossians:2:16-17]). “One man esteemeth one day above another: another esteemeth every day alike. Let every man be fully persuaded in his own mind. He that regardeth the day, regardeth it unto the Lord; and he that regardeth not the day, to the Lord he doth not regard it. He that eateth, eateth to the Lord, for he giveth God thanks; and he that eateth not, to the Lord he eateth not, and giveth God thanks” [Romans:14:5-6]). “Now we are delivered from the law, that being dead wherein we were held; that we should serve in newness of spirit, and not in the oldness of the letter” [Romans:7:6]). These are but a few of many passages of Scripture that show how irrevocably the Truth in Jesus Christ has replaced the Law of Moses.

Who settled the question? “It seemed good to the Holy Ghost, and to us.” The Spirit of God moved upon the hearts of the councilmen -– they were of one accord -– and inspired the verdict that God had ordained from the foundation of the world.
END.
Re: A Teaching Presented On Law And Grace. Please Read And Learn/comment by psalmsen(m): 1:51pm On Sep 25, 2013
Lord jesus let ur law guide me and follow me in all my life. AMEN.
Re: A Teaching Presented On Law And Grace. Please Read And Learn/comment by Candour(m): 3:15pm On Sep 25, 2013
Eph 2:15
'Having abolished in his flesh the enmity, even the law of commandments contained in ordinances; for to make in himself of twain one new man, so making peace'

The law that made Isreal special and different from Gentiles has been abolished. In its place, the law of love reigns supreme and Love is that which seeks its neighbors highest good . All the law is fulfilled when you love God and love your neighbor, so says our Lord and you can truly do this by the working of the Holy Spirit.

@alexleo, God bless you
Re: A Teaching Presented On Law And Grace. Please Read And Learn/comment by alexleo(m): 8:06pm On Sep 25, 2013
@Candour,
Thanks and God bless you.
Re: A Teaching Presented On Law And Grace. Please Read And Learn/comment by Goshen360(m): 3:25am On Sep 26, 2013
Lemme register myself for this course. I will fully participate. I have read the article or teaching by your church and I can say, it's truth mixed with errors. I do not say this to discredit your church but so we can look at it together and make corrections because, it can go a long way.

I should contribute fully line-by-line on Thursday or Friday to point out the errors from scriptures. I will be back.
Re: A Teaching Presented On Law And Grace. Please Read And Learn/comment by alexleo(m): 5:04am On Sep 26, 2013
Goshen360: Lemme register myself for this course. I will fully participate. I have read the article or teaching by your church and I can say, it's truth mixed with errors. I do not say this to discredit your church but so we can look at it together and make corrections because, it can go a long way.

I should contribute fully line-by-line on Thursday or Friday to point out the errors from scriptures. I will be back.

You are welcome my brother. We are all learning for perfection. That's why I posted this teaching here for us to learn or comment/make any observation. No church/person knows it all. God bless you.
Re: A Teaching Presented On Law And Grace. Please Read And Learn/comment by Willzkid(m): 8:37am On Sep 26, 2013
which church do u worship in alex?
Re: A Teaching Presented On Law And Grace. Please Read And Learn/comment by alexleo(m): 12:39pm On Sep 26, 2013
Willzkid: which church do u worship in alex?

The Apostolic Faith Church.
Re: A Teaching Presented On Law And Grace. Please Read And Learn/comment by made2fit(f): 8:30pm On Sep 26, 2013
Nice! And to think you got this from church. Lucky ya! smiley Mine is always encouraging us all the time. Pretty tiring if you ask me. Sometimes one desires the meat of the word. undecided anyway, waiting for Goshen for a more extensive study as promised. Thanks.
Re: A Teaching Presented On Law And Grace. Please Read And Learn/comment by Goshen360(m): 3:17am On Sep 27, 2013
alexleo: Here is a teaching on law and grace as presented by my church. Pls go through it, learn or comment for our learning. Its quite a long one but I decided to break it in parts for easy reading. God bless you.

“Ye worship ye know not what: we know what we worship: for salvation is of the Jews” [John:4:22]). Jesus spoke the words that every Jew zealously believed; for many centuries ago the promise had been given to faithful Abraham by the Lord, “In thee shall all families of the earth be blessed” [Genesis:12:3]).

Covenant at Sinai
The nation of Israel was the direct result and partial fulfilment of that promise to Abraham. At Mount Sinai, God outlined His Covenant with the Children of Israel; and they, in turn, endorsed the Covenant wholeheartedly as Moses related it to them. Stated in a simplified form, the great and wonderful call of God to the Children of Israel meant that God desired the Israelites to be a holy nation and a kingdom of priests -– a peculiar treasure unto God. They were to be messengers of God’s Covenant and evangelise, or win, the world and bring all men into God’s Covenant. God revealed Himself to the Children of Israel in an unmistakable and unforgettable way. He gave them the Ten Commandments, written with the finger of God upon the tables of stone, and certain laws, which Moses wrote in a book. God made the Israelites the custodians and guardians of these oracles of God, and marked the Children of Israel as the family and means whereby the Abrahamic Covenant would be finally fulfilled to the whole world through the birth of the Messiah.

I'll like to get into the 'meat' of the word and present an indepth systematic teaching on this subject because I understand it perfectly. This is not to boast but if I boast, I boast in the LORD that I know the Lord and his word through His Spirit.

First, this might be a little lengthy but I will try make it brief.

2. Israel is physical and literal but it conveys a 'spiritual' truth and a 'spiritual' Israel, which is the church of Christ. Hence, Israel is part of the church and NOT the literal church by itself, it's a NATION. Israel is a 'type and shadow' of the true 'spiritual' church, the body of Christ.

3. Your church taught that the Abrahamic covenant is the blessing to the whole world by Christ. That is correct!!! However, where the teaching erred was the bring of the Law to the people of Israel. If God is to establish the Abraham covenant to the whole world through Christ, it therefore means the Abraham covenant is NOT and NEVER based on the Law, that is, rules, regulations, dos and don'ts.

4. Under 'dispensation' teachings. One dispensation doesn't termination until another goes into effect. Just as, one covenant doesn't take effect until one is terminated. So, we can say, until the New Covenant took effect, the Old was still in force. In the same way, the Abrahamic covenant, a 'foreshadow' of the covenant of Grace is still in force before the Law was given or the covenant of the Law went into effect. Therefore, before Israel was given the Law, the Abrahamic covenant was still in force BUT it wasn't God who changed the covenant from that of Abrahamic into the law BUT the Israelites themselves did - God NEVER originally intended the Law for Israel but for them to live by Grace.

follow me closely, I'm about to unveil a mystery here... cheesy
Re: A Teaching Presented On Law And Grace. Please Read And Learn/comment by Goshen360(m): 3:40am On Sep 27, 2013
Since Israel is a 'type and shadow' of the church, in the same way, manner and truth, God never intended the church to live by LAWS, rules, regulations and ordinances etc but by Grace (unmerited and undeserved goodness and favour of God). The Law was given by Moses, Grace and truth came by Jesus, meaning, Christ didn't come to give us MORE Laws but Grace and truth. I will unveil how it all started, with the Israel and many of the New Testament church\believers are still into same error as Israel, doing same thing thinking God intended the Law for them.

Let's get into the word now,

This is my argument: The Law, which began 430 years after the covenant [concerning the coming Messiah], does not and cannot annul the covenant previously established (ratified) by God, so as to abolish the promise and make it void.

Galatians 3:17, Amplified Bible (AMP)

The verse makes it clear that a covenant was in force BEFORE the Law covenant or Sinai or Mosaic covenant came into effect. That covenant is the Abrahamic covenant - a covenant based on foreshadow of Grace + faith.

Now, the scripture make it clear also that Abraham wasn't obeying any law officially to receive the promise and Grace of God because there wasn't any officially given or written law to obey, in the next verse of same Galatians 3.

18 For if the inheritance [of the promise depends on observing] the Law [as these false teachers would like you to believe], it no longer [depends] on the promise; however, God gave it to Abraham [as a free gift solely] by virtue of His promise

19 What then was the purpose of the Law? It was added [later on, after the promise, to disclose and expose to men their guilt] because of transgressions and [to make men more conscious of the sinfulness] of sin; and it was intended to be in effect until the Seed (the Descendant, the Heir) should come, to and concerning Whom the promise had been made. And it [the Law] was arranged and ordained and appointed through the instrumentality of angels [and was given] by the hand (in the person) of a go-between [Moses, an intermediary person between God and man]

So, if Israel is the direct result of the promise or Abrahamic covenant, what Paul was teaching in Galatians is, God never intended the people of Israel to live or be given the law by the virtue of his promises to Abraham. But like I said, it was the children of Israel themselves that changed from or demanded the law - covenants of doing works and performance. How?

to be continue . . .
Re: A Teaching Presented On Law And Grace. Please Read And Learn/comment by Goshen360(m): 4:05am On Sep 27, 2013
God remembered His covenant with Abraham and GRACIOUSLY brought the children of Israel out of Egypt. They didn't DO anything for God to deliver them. They didn't OBEY any law for God to do this, bring them out of Egypt. It was all God's effort and Grace based on His promises and covenant with Abraham.

BEFORE the Law was given, the ten commandments inclusive; NONE of the children of Israel died.They murmured, complained, sinned, rebellious etc BUT they NEVER died, BEFORE the law was given. Why? Because the Abrahamic covenant was still in force - a foreshadow of the covenant of Grace (unmerited and undeserved favour) + faith. They didn't DO (which is a demand of the LAW) anything for God to open the red sea, feed them with manna from heaven, lead them with pillar of fire and cloud, give them water from the rock etc. They didn't obey any law, it was all based on God's favour because they were still under the Abrahamic covenant, the law had not in enforced yet at all these time the Gracious acts of God is operating.

The children of Israel DEMANDED the LAW by themselves - meaning they demanded God NOT to do anything for them based on His Gracious acts according to the Abrahamic covenant BUT that God should do things for them based on their WORKS.

3 And Moses went up to God, and the Lord called to him out of the mountain, Say this to the house of Jacob and tell the Israelites:

4 You have seen what I did to the Egyptians, and how I bore you on eagles’ wings and brought you to Myself.

5 Now therefore, if you will obey My voice in truth and keep My covenant, then you shall be My own peculiar possession and treasure from among and above all peoples; for all the earth is Mine.
Exodus 19

Follow the conversation in the Spirit!!! In verse 4, It was God's gracious effort that is speaking that did all that was done for the Israelites. In verse 5, God demanded the obey His VOICE, NOT LAWS because in Exodus 19, the Law had not being given yet. God also demanded they keep His Covenant. Which covenant? Many people do not study deeply will think it is talking about the covenant of the law here, NO! It was still the covenant with Abraham that is still in force here and that's the intention of God here - to keep and follow on with the Abrahamic covenant, not to be 'under the law'. Alas, the big change came!!!

to be continue . . .

1 Like

Re: A Teaching Presented On Law And Grace. Please Read And Learn/comment by Goshen360(m): 4:39am On Sep 27, 2013
19 What then was the purpose of the Law? It was added [later on, after the promise, to disclose and expose to men their guilt] because of transgressions and [to make men more conscious of the sinfulness] of sin; and it was intended to be in effect until the Seed (the Descendant, the Heir) should come, to and concerning Whom the promise had been made. And it [the Law] was arranged and ordained and appointed through the instrumentality of angels [and was given] by the hand (in the person) of a go-between [Moses, an intermediary person between God and man]

Paul the Apostle said, the LAW was ADDED...later on, after the promise, to disclose and expose to men their guilt because of transgressions and to make men more conscious of the sinfulness of sin.. Ladies and Gentlemen, what was their guilt? What was their transgression? that added the law to them? Please go back to the conversation in Exodus 19, now verse 7-8

7 So Moses called for the elders of the people and told them all these words which the Lord commanded him. 8 And all the people answered together, and said, All that the Lord has spoken we will do. And Moses reported the words of the people to the Lord.

Why would Moses 'report' their words to the Lord? In the Hebrew syntax, the way the people answered, it portrayed arrogance and self efforts. It denotes God should not do anything for them based on His Gracious acts as in verse 4 but that God should bless and favour them based on their WORKS, that DOING something which is basically what the law demands. That's why Paul called it WORKS of the LAW because the law demands DOING and the people said they will DO...in an arrogance manner, self efforts and self righteousness. They are saying, God, henceforth, don't deal with us based of Abrahamic covenant but based on OUR DOINGS and our PERFOMANCES.

Then God gave the Law, the 10 commandments in Exodus 20 because of this GUILT and TRANSGRESSION of the people. Then Paul called these 10 commandments MINISTRY OF DEATH. What does this mean? When Israel demanded or changed from Abrahamic covenant to the Law covenant, things changed. In Exodus 14:11; 15:23-25 and 16:3, the children of Israel complained and murmured BUT didn't die BUT after the covenant was changed from Abrahamic to the Law, they complain the same complain in Numbers 21:5-6 AND THEY DIED!!! This is because a different covenant (of the Law and Law dispensation) was in force now.

Okay, I just laid a foundation for my contribution. I will follow-up with these understanding to point out the errors as taught in your church and we will do a corrective surgery here.
Re: A Teaching Presented On Law And Grace. Please Read And Learn/comment by alexleo(m): 9:36am On Sep 27, 2013
Following. Will coment when you are done.
Re: A Teaching Presented On Law And Grace. Please Read And Learn/comment by MostHigh: 11:58am On Sep 27, 2013
Yashua Ibn joseph obeyed the law to the end as is testified by scripture.

Paul whome the lawless ones hide behind obeyed the law to the end as is testified by scripture.

So where do you grace only individuals stand??

Just a bunch of jokers. smiley

2 Likes

Re: A Teaching Presented On Law And Grace. Please Read And Learn/comment by PastorOluT(m): 12:08pm On Sep 27, 2013
MostHigh: Yashua Ibn joseph obeyed the law to the end as is testified by scripture.

Paul whome the lawless ones hide behind obeyed the law to the end as is testified by scripture.

So where do you grace only individuals stand??

Just a bunch of jokers. smiley
I still dont get it, pls just tell me what u understand by the old n new covenant, for I think that will help?
Re: A Teaching Presented On Law And Grace. Please Read And Learn/comment by Goshen360(m): 1:06am On Sep 28, 2013
alexleo: The Purpose of the Law

1. The Law was beautiful and glorious because it pointed to the perfect Sacrifice to come, the Lord Jesus Christ.

2. God intended that the Law should be educational in nature to the Children of Israel -– not that the Law in itself could bring salvation.

“Wherefore the law was our schoolmaster to bring us unto Christ, that we might be justified by faith” [Galatians:3:24]). “For the law having a shadow of good things to come, and not the very image of the things, can never with those sacrifices which they offered year by year continually make the comers thereunto perfect. . . . For it is not possible that the blood of bulls and of goats should take away sins” [Hebrews:10:1], [Hebrews:10:4]).

3. Truly there were some outstanding examples of righteous men under the Law -– men who were saved and sanctified; but their righteousness stemmed not from the works of the Law but from their faith in God and obedience to His Word. “Time would fail me to tell of Gideon, and of Barak, and of Samson, and of Jephthah; of David also, and Samuel, and of the prophets: who through faith subdued kingdoms, wrought righteousness, obtained promises, stopped the mouths of lions, . . . these all, having obtained a good report through faith, received not the promise: God having provided some better thing for us, that they without us should not be made perfect” [Hebrews:11:32-33], [Hebrews:11:39];[Hebrews:11:40]).

I will respond to this in the numbering order. I'm tired at the time of replying to this thread so I will not quote scriptures as such.

1. Yes, the law was beautiful and glorious but the new covenant is much more glorious and better. Now, that Christ that the law hides, had come, we longer need the law. It had fulfilled it purpose from the divine angle, not from the angle of Israelites but they thought they could DO something for God, that keep laws, but they can't.

2. God never intended the law for Israel. They demanded it just like many Christians today are still demanding to keep the law, rules and regulations instead of resting in the finished works of Christ, what God had done through Christ. Truly, the Law cannot saved and doesn't deliver the promised covenant.

3. There's is righteousness of the Law and their is a righteousness which is by faith. These men, though walked in faith but still could not receive the promise - Christ + the Holy Spirit because the finished works of Christ have not come and be completed yet.
Re: A Teaching Presented On Law And Grace. Please Read And Learn/comment by Goshen360(m): 1:21am On Sep 28, 2013
alexleo: The Dispensation of Grace

1. The “better thing” that God provided for us is the Gospel of Jesus Christ.

2. The birth of Jesus Christ, the Messiah, marked the beginning of a new dispensation in God’s dealings with men-– the dispensation of Grace. The time had come when all limits were swept away, all bounds of nationality were passed over, and God’s grace was carried directly unto all men. Jesus said to the woman of Samaria: “The hour cometh, when ye shall neither in this mountain, nor yet at Jerusalem, worship the Father. . . . But the hour cometh, and now is, when the true worshippers shall worship the Father in spirit and in truth: for the Father seeketh such to worship him” [John:4:21], [John:4:23]).

3. No longer was there any need for the earthly priesthood; no more did acceptable worship depend upon the centralised Temple ceremony; no more was animal sacrifice or ritual needed to gain the approval of God and the forgiveness of sins. The honest heart, in any country, can come to God with faith in Jesus Christ and true repentance of sins and receive the witness in his heart that his prayer has been heard and his sins forgiven.

1. The better things God promised was Christ Himself and the Holy Spirit. However, the gospel of Christ came because the testator must write his will and testament before his death and so, that will and testament will be in force after the death of such testator.

2. #2 is completely not correct. It was the death of Christ that enforced the dispensation of Grace under the New covenant. That's why the revelation of his death and finished works was revealed to the Apostles, especially Paul.

3. At this point, If there's no any need for any earthly priesthood, then don't you think there should also be not any need to tithing to a earthly priesthood nor any physical or centralized temple? This is my issue with us in the body of Christ, we can't pick some things from the law and hold on to it while we say others are done away with. The tithe was given to the Levites as officiating in the physical temple, the temple destroyed and the priesthood gone, why shouldn't the tithe also be gone? Just think about that!!! Tithing is part of the law and if the law is done away with, it means tithe is done away with the law.
Re: A Teaching Presented On Law And Grace. Please Read And Learn/comment by Goshen360(m): 1:31am On Sep 28, 2013
alexleo: New Covenant

1. God established the new Covenant to fulfil the old Covenant, having planned the new Covenant from the foundation of the earth. The great price of the new Covenant was that which led the Lord out to Calvary’s cross and caused Him to be crucified there, that through the Blood that was shed, through His life surrendered and yielded up, a Covenant could be made -– not only with the Jews but with all mankind individually -– by which they might be reconciled to God.

2. That Covenant was for the purpose of bridging the gulf that was made by sin, which separated man from God. The only means by which it could be bridged was the price that Jesus paid, the Blood He shed, the offering He gave, the Atonement He made by which humanity might be reconciled to God. It is a wonderful thing that God has made provision by which man can overcome sin and be restored to Him; and, above all, can have love planted in the heart -– love toward God, love toward man. The law of love is the new law under the dispensation of Grace.

1. This is a very big error sir. The New Covenant is NOT and NEVER to fulfill the Old Covenant. The New Covenant was to fulfill the Abrahamic covenant. The Old is completely and distinctively different from the Old. Hebrews 8:7-9 with emphasis on verse 8.

2. Point #1 and #2 are saying two different things. Point #2 is okay but to add, LOVE is a commandment under the New, just like the 10 is a commandement under the Old. Love is not LAW. Christians have a law in Christ, it is called LAW of the Spirit of Life...in Christ. That is, when we are led and guided by the Holy Spirit, we are a LAW unto ourselves but not the LAW of Moses.
Re: A Teaching Presented On Law And Grace. Please Read And Learn/comment by Goshen360(m): 1:43am On Sep 28, 2013
alexleo: Law and Grace

1. The Law was very stringent in its demand for obedience. “Whosoever shall keep the whole law, and yet offend in one point, he is guilty of all” [James:2:10]). “thou shalt not” was the basis of the Law’s commandments, and the Children of Israel learned through the commandments that sin was exceedingly sinful [Romans:7:13]). Do or die was the spirit of the Law.

2. Many of the precepts of the Laws, as high as they are, fall short of the standard set up by Jesus. The Law was a shadow of good things to come, but when the full light of the Gospel in Jesus Christ shone forth, the shadow disappeared. The Law said, “Eye for eye, tooth for tooth”; but Jesus commanded, “Whosoever shall smite thee on thy right cheek, turn to him the other also” [Matthew:5:39]). The Law said, “Thou shalt not commit adultery”; but Jesus lifted the standard higher: “I say unto you, That whosoever looketh on a woman to lust after her hath committed adultery with her already in his heart” [Matthew:5:28]). “Ye have heard that it was said by them of old time, Thou shalt not kill; and whosoever shall kill shall be in danger of the judgment: but I say unto you, That whosoever is angry with his brother without a cause shall be in danger of the judgement: and whosoever shall say to his brother, Raca, shall be in danger of the council: but whosoever shall say, Thou fool, shall be in danger of hell fire” [Matthew:5:21-22]).

3. A careful study of the Scriptures will reveal that the Ten Commandments of the Old Testament are reaffirmed in the New Testament on a higher plane than in the Old Testament, with the notable exception of the Fourth Commandment. Nowhere in the New Testament is the commandment concerning the Jewish Sabbath reaffirme

Point #1 and your point #3 are contradictory. If you must keep the law, you must keep the whole but sabbath is part of the 10. You cannot break sabbath and say you keep the rest. You actually breaking all according to point #1. What does this mean? Some of the 10 commandment resurfaced in the New Covenant doesn't say so because the law said so. By the Spirit's guidance, you don't commit adultery, steal, murder etc. You don't need the law to tell you that under the New Covenant, the Spirit does that. The Law only helps you know what sin is but cannot help you stop sinning. Another thing I want to point out here is, the 10 commandments is not different from other commandments neither is it special. The law of Moses is taken and ONE and whole. There's nowhere in scripture where disctinction or special preference was given to the 10 than the rest.

2. Jesus wasn't raising standards of the law because the existing laws, men could not keep it. Why would Jesus then be raising the standard of the law then? What Jesus was doing is, treating the root of the cause for adultery - which is the inner man or the heart. If your heart is right, there wont be such lusting. So, the Apostles revealed what Jesus was saying - sin, when it is conceived will give birth to LUST. etc.
Re: A Teaching Presented On Law And Grace. Please Read And Learn/comment by Goshen360(m): 1:55am On Sep 28, 2013
alexleo: Controversy

1. It was often hard for the Israelites to realize that their God was no respecter of persons. Many of the Pharisees, and also some of the converts to Christianity in the apostolic days, clung to the idea that salvation was of and for the Jews alone. They looked upon the people of the Gentile nations as heathen, without hope in this world or in the world to come, unless they became Jews and subscribed to Israel’s Law. “There rose up certain of the sect of the Pharisees which believed, saying, That it was needful to circumcise them, and to command them to keep the law of Moses” [Acts:15:5]).

2. The Guiding Spirit
The Apostles and elders, guided by the Holy Ghost, realized that the Law had been fulfilled in Christ and was no longer in force. “We have heard, that certain which went out from us have troubled you with words, subverting your souls, saying, Ye must be circumcised, and keep the law: to whom we gave no such commandment: . . . We have sent therefore Judas and Silas, who shall also tell you the same things by mouth. For it seemed good to the Holy Ghost, and to us, to lay upon you no greater burden than these necessary things; that ye abstain from meats offered to idols, and from blood, and from things strangled, and from fornication” [Acts:15:24], [Acts:15:27-29]). They ruled that there was no necessity for circumcision. No mention was made of keeping the holy days, the new moons, or the Sabbath Days; nor was there any mention of eating or of not eating meats, except abstinence from meats offered to idols.

1. Salvation is of the Jews truly but that was BEFORE the Cross. The Cross, death and resurrection of Christ that began the New Covenant is the difference. That's the revelation and victory of the finished works that Christians are to believe in. It's all done by Christ.

2. The Law had been fulfilled, why are many Christians still trying to keep what has been fulfilled or done by Christ? That's trying to resurrect the works of the law and do the law against or keep it by ourselves. Then such Christians are saying, the finished works is not enough, and such are fallen from Grace.

Grace be multiplied unto all. The End. We can continue our discussion thereafter now.
Re: A Teaching Presented On Law And Grace. Please Read And Learn/comment by Alwaystrue(f): 6:26am On Sep 28, 2013
Hebrews 9:16-17
16 For where a testament is, there must also of necessity be the death of the testator.
17 For a testament is of force after men are dead: otherwise it is of no strength at all while the testator liveth.

The Old Convenant took effect on the Israelites ONLY AFTER the sacrifice of blood. But before the convenant took effect God had to give His laws, statutes and judgements (ordinances) FIRST. The blood of the bulls and sheep simply SEALED the bond.

But because the people could not fulfil their part and infact did so much evil, God has to send His Son Jesus Christ to avert the imminent curse on the earth.
Malachi 4:5-6
5 Behold, I will send you Elijah the prophet before the coming of the great and dreadful day of the Lord:
6 And he shall turn the heart of the fathers to the children, and the heart of the children to their fathers, lest I come and smite the earth with a curse.

And the word of God in Malachi was fulfilled below when Jesus was speaking of John the Baptist, who had come to prepare the way.
Matthew 11:14 And if ye will receive it, this is Elias, which was for to come.

And Jesus finally came, born of a woman, under the law (Galatians 4:4) to redeem those under the law as seen by some of the deliverances from devils miracles He did.
So THE WORD OF GOD BECAME FLESH.
John 1:14,17
And the WORD WAS MADE FLESH, and dwelt among us, (and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,) FULL OF GRACE AND TRUTH
17 For the law was given by Moses, but grace and truth came by Jesus Christ

Ephesians 2:15 Having abolished IN HIS FLESH the ENMITY, even the law of commandments contained in ordinances ; for to make in himself of twain one new man, so making peace

Colossians 2:14 Blotting out the handwriting of ordinances that was against us, which was contrary to us, AND took it out of the way, nailing it to his cross

It was while Jesus was IN THE FLESH that He abolished the law of commandments CONTAINED in ordinances (Exodus chapter 21-24)that was causing enmity between Jews and Gentiles....Read the story of the Samaritan woman for example in John 4, and the commission to take the gospel to the end of the earth (totally different from just Israel alone). Also read Matthew 5 and see where He was abolishing the judgements for going against those ordinances. e.g. Eye for eye etc. It was at His death that he TOTALLY TOOK IT OUT OF THE WAY by nailing it to the cross being a sacrifice for sins. The 10 commandments were not the ordinances. Jesus was even very angry when the traditions of men were put over the law of God. Tithe and offerings were already before the law and are not the ordinances often misconstrues in Malachi 3:7 as that scripture is not talking about Malachi 3:8....verse 7 was already answered in verse 7.

That is why scriptures says: Jesus is the end of the law FOR righteousness to them that believe (Romans 10:4) because the righteousness of the law is fulfilled in us when we walk in the Spirit (Romans 8:3-4) and you believe in Christ by believing His words (John 5:24) as well as the finished work on the cross. (John 19:30)

Why? Because all Jesus did and said while He was IN THE Flesh was THE TESTAMENT (THE TRUTH AND GRACE) which was only SEALED at His death by BLOOD. Hence the NEW CONVENANT!

Matthew 26:28 for this is my blood, which confirms the covenant between God and his people. It is poured out as a sacrifice to forgive the sins of many

To read more on this and also the transfiguration, continue in https://www.nairaland.com/1455684/what-seem-difference-between-old#18398498
Re: A Teaching Presented On Law And Grace. Please Read And Learn/comment by PastorOluT(m): 7:06am On Sep 28, 2013
Goshen360: Lemme register myself for this course. I will fully participate. I have read the article or teaching by your church and I can say, it's truth mixed with errors. I do not say this to discredit your church but so we can look at it together and make corrections because, it can go a long way.

Good morning bro, hope ur night was ok?
Would u need u to come do some exposition on the thread 'what would Heaven be like' Thanks
Re: A Teaching Presented On Law And Grace. Please Read And Learn/comment by MostHigh: 10:05am On Sep 28, 2013
Goshen360:

1. Salvation is of the Jews truly but that was BEFORE the Cross. The Cross, death and resurrection of Christ that began the New Covenant is the difference. That's the revelation and victory of the finished works that Christians are to believe in. It's all done by Christ.

2. The Law had been fulfilled, why are many Christians still trying to keep what has been fulfilled or done by Christ? That's trying to resurrect the works of the law and do the law against or keep it by ourselves. Then such Christians are saying, the finished works is not enough, and such are fallen from Grace.

Grace be multiplied unto all. The End. We can continue our discussion thereafter now.

So all prophesies regarding Israel and the kingdom age are false

You say Isreal is not reborn, but instead the christopagan beast shall prevail.

Folly.

Salvation cometh from Yehuda forevermore for the scepter shall not pass from between his feet. smiley

And even the promise of the land is given unto joseph and by extension Ephraim [/b]and [b]Manasseh and ultimately Samaria

How does your christopagan traditions reconcile with these truths

The economic, civil, agricultural, legal and spiritual framework of the future messenaic kingdom is based upon the torah and this is confirmed everywhere within scripture, you cannot hide the truth.grin

Stop teaching this your death

Stop trying to change the customs and traditions of the most high God, that job is for the little horn.wink

2 Likes

(1) (Reply)

How Science Backs The Bible's Best Stories / 5 Superpowers You Didn't Know Your Body Was Hiding From You / Wonderful Word Of Mighty God

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 129
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.