Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,749 members, 7,817,076 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 03:24 AM

Things You Should Remove From Your CV Now - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Things You Should Remove From Your CV Now (751 Views)

Yay!! Push Cv Just Congratulated Me!!! / Send Your CV NOW!!! / Send Your CV NOW!!! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Things You Should Remove From Your CV Now by mrinfo(m): 3:16pm On Sep 25, 2013
It only takes and employer or a recruiter about 30 seconds to scan through your CV/resume before deciding whether it is worth keeping aside or taking a longer and closer look at. It has been established that in addition to the design and layout (degree to which your CV is arranged and pleasing to the eye) the most important thing that attracts the glancing employer to take a closer look at your CV is the content.

During that 30 seconds you don’t want the employer seeing things that will mostly kill off your chances of getting a deeper look-in and possible consideration. You don’t want irrelevant messages and content in your CV because the more irrelevant information you leave there the more unlikely it is that your CV will hold the attention of the employer. And what you ideally want is for the employer/recruiter to be held by your CV and make him shortlist your application for possible future interviews. That in effect is the work of your CV. To make your CV achieve its mission here are things you should set about removing from your CV now.

1. Photos

I cannot, for the life of me, understand what purpose a picture of your smiling (or even sober) face will do for you in your CV. Unless you are applying for a job where physical attractiveness is of high importance or applying for a modelling gig I don’t see why you should paste photos of yourself or any other thing for that matter on your CV.

I still come across CVs where the owners can’t just do away with their portraits on it. It profits you nothing and depending on whom you sent your CV to might even cost you a chance to be considered. What you want is for the employer to see your work accomplishments and compelling information on why you are a good fit for the job not for him to admire your looks on your CV!

2. Unnecessary Personal Information

While drawing up your CV or talking to friends they may advise you add all sorts of information to your CV including religious affiliation (who cares what you worship) and even personal passions that have no bearing whatsoever to your professional/career goals or even to the job you are pursuing.

Revealing too much personal information will open the doors of discrimination against you even as many of the information do not have any relation to your ability on the job. Including too many useless personal information will tend to only make your CV longer and not necessarily better.

However there are some personal information that you might include because they have some relevance to the job you’re applying for. For instance if you are applying for a Regional Sales Manager job with a Tennis ball manufacturer and you are an avid tennis player it is perfectly sound to include your hobby of tennis. If you are applying to an NGO mentioning your volunteering experience will surely put your CV in a good light.

The key is to think through each information before including it. Does it make any improvement for your case? Will including that personal information (possibly about your religion, political affiliation etc) open up discriminatory doors against you?

Here are a couple of useless personal information we see in candidates’ CVs:

- “I’m father to three wonderful children and divorced.”
- “I have political sympathy for ABC party.”

3. Reasons for Leaving Your Former Job

If you have worked before there are chances that you may have left your one or two former jobs in a way you’d prefer not to have happened.

You are under no obligation to reveal why you left a previous job. If it comes up in an interview, address the question honestly. But you certainly don’t have to volunteer this information up front. You should never include ‘reasons for leaving your former job’ on your CV. You only tackle the issue when asked during interviews.

More: http://blog.ngcareers.com/2150/5-things-you-should-remove-from-your-cv-right-now/

(1) (Reply)

Plssss When Is The 2014 Nigerian Airforce Recruitment Form Coming Out? / ACCA -beginner / Jewelry Making Made Fun And Easy.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.