Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,106 members, 7,828,865 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 03:21 PM

Our Fathers: Architects Of Doom - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Our Fathers: Architects Of Doom (1517 Views)

"Nigerians Put To Shame Prophets Of Doom On 2015 Election" - Goodluck Jonathan / Polls: Prophets Of Doom Must Apologise To Nigerians – Mark / Meet the Five Architects Of Jonathan’s Defeat. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Our Fathers: Architects Of Doom by buukie(m): 2:26pm On Jun 05, 2006
This is my first time here and I just want people to discuss the topic below.

For me I believe our fathers created the mess we are in even though a lot of people claim we the present generation that is those of us in our 30s and up wards are corrupt with the spate of yahoo scams.

What does the house think?
Re: Our Fathers: Architects Of Doom by pascal(m): 1:02am On Jun 06, 2006
Buukie,

Our fathers were sleeping when their mates were busying building a future they never had for their children and the unborn child.

Have you not heard of “Nigeria having money while the problem is how to spend it” this was a quote from a formal head of state.

When infrastructures were supposed to be build, developmental plans to accommodate the population growth.

Our Father benefited from a well-planned colonial programme of good school, good job, and bumper Agricultural products well-planned road network and name it.

The military came and bastardised all this structured activities that was handed over during the independent. Now we do not values morals and norms any more.

The norm we know now is how to immense wealth and have fat foreign account.

How on earth can one continue to survive when you do not have any background and why should I die for this country called Nigeria? No good school, road, no power, no food, Men we don’t have anything to fall back on. The list is endless
Re: Our Fathers: Architects Of Doom by DaHitler(m): 1:06am On Jun 06, 2006
Pascal, what region did these military men come from? What form of pre-independence colonization did the people from the region that produced illiterate rulers experience?

Answer those questions and you would know why Nigeria is so screwed up.

This country is doomed and I am desperately trying to inform those that can be saved not to play dumb and die for One Nigeria.
Re: Our Fathers: Architects Of Doom by gorociano: 4:46am On Feb 21, 2008
I agree with bukkie totally, the yoruba's have a saying "Eyi ti Iya ba gbon ni Omo Ran" i.e The glory of the former shall surpass that of the former, If nothing do IBB over iraqi oil winfall, den nothing do the 1001 unemployed nigerian bastards out there that are the Kingpin of "yahoo-yahoo", see what we are seeing is just a pelude to the actual film, i dont know what that is but i can bet u it will beat the imagination of everybody
Nigeria has sunken to a new low that i dont know what to use to describe it. i mean the situation where those that are the future leaders are either smoking ganja, doing "yahoo", touting, chasing skirt or cheating even at aptitude tests (i saw it myself, i'm still feeling the shock, ), i have only one more thing to say to the wise,
RUN FOR YOUR DEAR LIFE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ghana, togo or even niger is better off
Re: Our Fathers: Architects Of Doom by Nobody: 7:12am On Feb 21, 2008
buukie:

This is my first time here and I just want people to discuss the topic below.

For me I believe our fathers created the mess we are in even though a lot of people claim we the present generation that is those of us in our 30s and up wards are corrupt with the spate of yahoo scams.

What does the house think?

What do mean by our fathers? My biological father or our past leaders?
Because i cant remember my father embezzling government fund or being a nuisance to Nigeria.
Re: Our Fathers: Architects Of Doom by deor03(m): 9:20am On Feb 21, 2008
nuzo:

What do mean by our fathers? My biological father or our past leaders?
Because i can't remember my father embezzling government fund or being a nuisance to Nigeria.

The answer is obvious.

Our fathers did make a mess of the situation foe 40 years or so BUT the challenge before us is , what legacy do we leave for our own children and grand children. If they made mistakes, are we not doing thesame now!!!! or even worse?
We just have to stop crying over spilt milk and face the challenge of nation building. It's now clear to us that individual money acquisition can't solve the problem.,.,.,. we need to collectively make ourselves comfortable. No matter how much you steal , you will still probably fly on nigerian airlines, travel on nigerian roads, make call on nigerian mobile phones, use nigerian power supply etc
Re: Our Fathers: Architects Of Doom by Nobody: 10:55am On Feb 21, 2008
deor03:

The answer is obvious.

Our fathers did make a mess of the situation foe 40 years or so BUT the challenge before us is , what legacy do we leave for our own children and grand children. If they made mistakes, are we not doing thesame now!!!! or even worse?
We just have to stop crying over spilt milk and face the challenge of nation building. It's now clear to us that individual money acquisition can't solve the problem.,.,.,. we need to collectively make ourselves comfortable. No matter how much you steal , you will still probably fly on nigerian airlines, travel on nigerian roads, make call on nigerian mobile phones, use nigerian power supply etc

I'm all for nation biulding even though it's not a must.
But using fathers where you are suppose to be using rulers or leaders is where i disagree with you.

Once again, my father was not one of the architects of doom you are talking about here.
Dont generalize if you are commenting out of experience.
Re: Our Fathers: Architects Of Doom by Ibime(m): 1:22pm On Feb 21, 2008
The fact is that Nigeria should have remained a British colony for the next 200 years until we get a system of government in place which regulates itself. We got independence too early, while we are still consumed by tribal feuding and 'big man' mentality. We should have waited until we were truly ready to govern ourselves. Our freedom fighters were fresh graduates from grad school who knew nothing about running countries, banks or economic systems. It is one thing to know book. It is another thing to have practical experience and for that practical experience to reach critical mass, at which point we can govern ourselves. Azikiwe, Balewa and the rest should be ashamed of themselves for the catastrophe they have brought upon us. Thousands of us die everyday, if not from bad road, then poor health services or polluted water, police brutality or armed robbers etc. We all have to admit that Nigeria is a failed state. Only God can help us now. The change in Nigeria over the past 20 - 30 years is too dramatic. No other country has gone from relative wealth to poverty as quickly as we have. I remember buying things with Kobo only 18 years ago. Now even 100 Naira is worthless.
Re: Our Fathers: Architects Of Doom by clemcykul(f): 1:51pm On Feb 21, 2008
hmmm
Re: Our Fathers: Architects Of Doom by davidif: 8:06am On Feb 24, 2008
the poster has a point, adedibu was a thug hired by AWO back in the 60's and look how powerful he has become that he can hold an entire state ransom in fact, the ex-president (uncle sege) even commands his respect.
Re: Our Fathers: Architects Of Doom by Nobody: 11:49am On Feb 24, 2008
Ibime:

The fact is that Nigeria should have remained a British colony for the next 200 years until we get a system of government in place which regulates itself. We got independence too early, while we are still consumed by tribal feuding and 'big man' mentality. We should have waited until we were truly ready to govern ourselves. Our freedom fighters were fresh graduates from grad school who knew nothing about running countries, banks or economic systems. It is one thing to know book. It is another thing to have practical experience and for that practical experience to reach critical mass, at which point we can govern ourselves. Azikiwe, Balewa and the rest should be ashamed of themselves for the catastrophe they have brought upon us. Thousands of us die everyday, if not from bad road, then poor health services or polluted water, police brutality or armed robbers etc. We all have to admit that Nigeria is a failed state. Only God can help us now. The change in Nigeria over the past 20 - 30 years is too dramatic. No other country has gone from relative wealth to poverty as quickly as we have. I remember buying things with Kobo only 18 years ago. Now even 100 Naira is worthless.

Why beat around the bush? You think its all about experience?
Confidently say that the black man is intellectually inferior to the white man.
Re: Our Fathers: Architects Of Doom by Ibime(m): 2:36pm On Feb 24, 2008
Nuzo, you are a fool! - I will not even answer your stupid allegation.

Do you ever start a business without learning about it first?

We Nigerians have never run a country before so why shouldn't we first learn before we start running our own country?

Abi are we doing a good job of it?

Go and ask your Granmother whether she prefers living in Nigeria of 1959 or Nigeria of 2008.

It is not a racial thing. I am more pro-black than anyone. But I believe in patience and good application of wisdom not rabblerousing.
Re: Our Fathers: Architects Of Doom by Nobody: 4:25pm On Feb 24, 2008
Ibime:

Nuzo, you are a fool! - I will not even answer your stupid allegation.

We Nigerians have never run a country before so why shouldn't we first learn before we start running our own country?

Abi are we doing a good job of it?

Go and ask your Granmother whether she prefers living in Nigeria of 1959 or Nigeria of 2008.

It is not a racial thing. I am more pro-black than anyone. But I believe in patience and good application of wisdom not rabblerousing.

Read your first post again and see that i just interpreted what you were not bold enough to say, and all you did was to call on my grandmother.
If not so, then i wonder what you meant by saying that we should have allowed the white man to keep ruling us for 200 more years.

Flagrant display of wickedness, religious fanaticism, lies, voodooism, witchcraft, cultism, corruption, greed, materialism, bitterness, which you have in one way or the other displayed are reasons Nigeria will never progress for now.
Some will even see the amalgamation that took place in 1916 as the major reason.

Keep cool and get real. cool
Re: Our Fathers: Architects Of Doom by Nobody: 4:35pm On Feb 24, 2008
Ibime:

After 47 years of learning a business, one is expected to be grand professional if there is any phrase like that. That is not the case of "Nigeria".
Re: Our Fathers: Architects Of Doom by lucabrasi(m): 7:17pm On Feb 24, 2008
hi all,kinda new on nairaland and just chippin in my two pennies worth,think the whole nigeria experiment was designed to fail right from the beginning by the colonial masters,the same divide and rule that was used in other former colonies was used in nigeria and its not in the interest of the western world for nigeria as rich as we are to be united all the so called politicians and military men did was take advantage of the situation, like fela anikulapo said in one of his old songs the white men chose greedy and gullible nigerians/businessmen like abiola and co,gave them some money and they in turn bled the country dry, thats why the pat utomi s and co will never get a chance.there are so many stuffs going on and so many dirty and unimaginable stuffs these guys are doing to hold on to power and i dnt mean just the political horse trading but realli fetish n diabolical stuffs
Re: Our Fathers: Architects Of Doom by Ibime(m): 8:14pm On Feb 24, 2008
Trust me Nuzo, it takes more than 47 years to learn how to run a country properly. It is not the government that runs a country, it is the people. Do you know how many centuries of feudalism and corruption they had in Europe, China, Japan etc before they came successful? You don't just put 200 + tribes together and then give them independence after only 46 years (1914 - 1960). It will take them another 300 years before they learn to live together as a nation. It takes centuries to learn democracy and to overcome tribalism and feudalism. Face facts, we were not ready for independence when we got it! When the people learn how to respect the rule of law and learn how to govern honestly and fairly (at every level of government and civil service), with proper checks and balances in place against corruption, nepotism and tribalism, then we can have independence.

BTW, if you say we should be grand professionals in running a country after 47 years, then maybe YOU are implying that we are inferior. So don't put any words in my mouth. The fact is that with the few handfuls of graduates that we had at independence, we were not ready to run our country. Full stop!
Re: Our Fathers: Architects Of Doom by lucabrasi(m): 10:20pm On May 25, 2011
and they are still pushing us deeper and deeper in that hole,leaders in the western world are running their countries responsibly because they know they are holding it in trust for the future generation but our fathers and great grandfathers are running the country as if the world wll end in their time
Re: Our Fathers: Architects Of Doom by PeeDaVinci: 11:00pm On May 25, 2011
you cant be more right, they did a lot of things right e.g. fighting for our independence, however, they didnt extol virtues such as hardwork, innovation and they promoted distrust, they were not futuristic in their plans, they only care about here and now,
however, i am more worried about the current generation , for every one thing our fathers got wrong, we are getting ten wrong, without any form of apology, we are worse than them, and i am scared to imagine the kind of nigeria my kids will live in
Re: Our Fathers: Architects Of Doom by ShangoThor(m): 11:31pm On May 25, 2011
I'd like to add 2 crucial points to this thread

a. The system of governance, constitution and rules that were negotiated by the constituent 'ethnic polities' that led to independence is not what we have ended up with. It is important to note that they would have ensured balance, objectivity and fair play in the system.

b. When I was a kid I remember watching the film about Idi Amin, 'Raid on Entebe'.During this period in the 80's the Naira was stronger than the USD $, and I remember discussing the film with some school mates and we argued that it could never happen in Nigeria because we were too sophisticated for any form of authoritarian dictatorship to take root and simply cannibalize the economy. Well I was wrong, very wrong. When SAP was implemented into the Nigerian economy, there were huge winners but the vast majority of Nigerian citizens were condemned to a life of perpetual poverty.

The system has and is producing some warped results and we cannot fix the status quo because there are 'non-compatriots' that will not allow it. The bar has been set so low, and we are content with exceptionally low standards.

I do hold my fathers 'generation' responsible.
Re: Our Fathers: Architects Of Doom by ShangoThor(m): 9:28pm On Dec 26, 2011
bump

(1) (Reply)

What Tribes Have No Chance Of Ever Having One Of Their Own Become President? / Cut Off Mark For Civil Service Exam Is 40%. Nigeria Is A Joke / Nigerian To Be Poland's First Black Lawmaker

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.