Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,665 members, 7,955,400 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 03:42 AM

A Night At A Lagos Police Station - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / A Night At A Lagos Police Station (11790 Views)

Crises In Jos, Police Station Burnt - Photos / Army Sacks Police Station In Umuahia / President Jonathan Dancing Orezi's Shoki Last Night At Eko Hotel, Lagos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: A Night At A Lagos Police Station by rali123(f): 1:38pm On Sep 26, 2013
Gracydee: Nigerian police is nothing to write home about. They are just a bunch of useless pple.

Personally I hate anybody wearing that uniform with a passion I can't explain. Infact, I find it very hard to have a little sympathetic feeling when anything bad happens to any of them (including all other law enforcement agencies sef) and at such times I feel I am kinda stonehearted but sincerely no matter how much I try, I don't have any pity for them. Imagine them just arresting people off the road after a hard day's work just to quench their selfish thirst for money.

Only God can help us in this country but this people should know that there's something called Nemesis and that the government is bad, government is not treating us well is not an excuse before God to do bad things.

Seriously u nailed it, this is not just a police thing, it include all other law enforcement agencies in Nigeria. They all need to be flush out of the system, employ new set with adequate training.
Re: A Night At A Lagos Police Station by eluquenson(m): 1:39pm On Sep 26, 2013
Nigeria is a failed state, I can't be a friend to a police, I would rather rear a snake than making a police officer my friend cos they are under spell
Re: A Night At A Lagos Police Station by ezedolar: 1:43pm On Sep 26, 2013
Some times is not good to show a police man that u are poor becos the will use u to count that law
Re: A Night At A Lagos Police Station by HolyHolla(m): 1:46pm On Sep 26, 2013
henrychubayo: What we need now is hiding camera. Its very easy way to catch these bad cops. With Hiding cameras, we could reduce these a bit.

That reminds me. Does anyone know what happened to the CCTV cameras meant to be installed in Abuja and Lagos, for which the FG made budget allocation some 3 years back?
Re: A Night At A Lagos Police Station by Nobody: 1:52pm On Sep 26, 2013

I remember the time I was arrested by the Nigerian Police. I was in SS3. It was during WAEC and I was in a shop outside the school gate waiting for a friend to finish his paper. I didn't have an exam that day so I was on mufti. They came, they saw, they arrested. Even when I produced my student id. My mum had to part with 10k that day. That was when my hatred fot the NPF went to heights hitherto unknown.
Re: A Night At A Lagos Police Station by sandammy(m): 1:52pm On Sep 26, 2013
I don't know which century Nigerians are going to have their freedom from Police Brutality. Just a secondary school holder in police uniform embarrassing a graduate is very pathetic. Like the OP stated, the perpetrator of this shameful act have their target victims. God help us.
Re: A Night At A Lagos Police Station by adanny01(m): 1:54pm On Sep 26, 2013
Police picked up a cousin of mine in front of the gate to his house. He wanted some fresh air so he walked outside in his boxers and vest to the gate to peep at the empty street. He took a leak and was about to go back in when a police van parked. He was bundled in amid his protest that he is at home. He ended up sleeping at the station while no one was aware what happened. He had no phone on him at the time of his arrest so couldnt call. He was released in the morning with no cloths and no transport to go home. He was lucky his dads office was close by so he went there and took his dads car home.
Re: A Night At A Lagos Police Station by desgiezd(m): 1:54pm On Sep 26, 2013
The Police is your friend!!

But I know who my friends are.
Re: A Night At A Lagos Police Station by royale442(m): 1:56pm On Sep 26, 2013
sweet-tease:
^^^am appalled that you felt appalled, it's not right but it happens a lot. When i was in secondary sch i saw a case where they parked somewhere and were arrestn innocent young men that were unfortunate enough to pass there at that time, and they were flinging the ID cards of those who cared to show them into the gutter and pushing them into the police van. The last time this kind of news shocked me was on Dec 24th 2009 when i witnessed a scene where a policeman walked up to a youngman in front of i and my friends and said "you are under arrest" for no just cause, searched him, found nothng but wanted to arrest him all the same, it was the uproar that saved the innocent guy that day, and am sure his colleagues around were doing the same.

News like this causes a sting in my heart but don't catch me by surprise.
I'm also appalled that you are appalled that he is appalled.

2 Likes

Re: A Night At A Lagos Police Station by otokx(m): 1:57pm On Sep 26, 2013
It happens everywhere in Nigeria and we call it - "i no dey, i no dey na 5 thousand", the police use it to raise money for some themselves, in our area though they target guys who smoke marijuana and smell of such at the time of arrest, they also target guys who plait hair and wear ear rings, they also target guys who hang around "short time" hotels and small time drinking joints and snooker bars. Its usually done in the dark from hours like 9pm. It is always good to dress responsibly and move around with a form of identification. As the writer said it happens in the not so rich areas.
Re: A Night At A Lagos Police Station by Jjc2000(m): 2:05pm On Sep 26, 2013
Police is your friend and bail is free. GBAM..
Re: A Night At A Lagos Police Station by ayanfeeledumare(m): 2:07pm On Sep 26, 2013
At the front of Idimu Police Station where another Area Police Commander is situated is a beehive at night for police officers who create illegal road block in order to carry out their so called stop and search of vehicles, and collect money from commercial bus drivers. I thought the IG has cancelled all road blocks on our roads. Idimu Police Station Officer seem to be more than the IG. I no say one day na one day.
Re: A Night At A Lagos Police Station by cashkid: 2:18pm On Sep 26, 2013
that is why i can never a pity a policeman weneva i hear bad things happening to them. they are set of senseless disgruntled element.
Re: A Night At A Lagos Police Station by ebiye55(m): 2:22pm On Sep 26, 2013
Okija_juju: Well since this happens alot.. My advise is for people to get smart.. Start covertly getting names of the officers arresting you, get the plate number of the patrol car, get the name and location of the station and call a lawyer..

If you can safely record the incident (emphasis on safely), do so and use it as evidence.

The police is not above the law.. Because people fold their arms and do nothing but rather pay the 'bail' or more like bribe (cos the police does not have the power to set or grant bail), thats why tonight, somewhere in Nigeria, another innocent Nigerian would face this exact situation..

Okija, God bless you wella! Though I find this whole lullaby to be fictional, its a lesson for everybody

1. Never leave home without a form (valid one) of identity

2. Never respond to police officers in vanacular esp when you are on your right

3. Don't be quick to respond to their questions

4. Gra gra no dey always pay, be cool-confident& collected

5.Always let your family/friends/neighbours know of your whereabouts especially if you're going to be out late

Feel free to add your own ideas, guys!

My one kobo!

1 Like

Re: A Night At A Lagos Police Station by patholaw: 2:27pm On Sep 26, 2013
Ayomax: same thing happened to me. 4yrs ago, i went to deposit some money inside the bank around 12pm ooo, neva knew policemen were waitin 4 me. dey blocked me with their bus n asked me to identify myself which i did n i showed them school ID, tht was not enough 4 them, those idiot took my phn frm me n searched 2ru my phn contract unlikely 4 me, they saw 2 international numbers, they used it to pin me down tht i am a yahoo boi n i must follow them to the station,dey ordered me at gun point to enter the bus, i saw 5 innocent nigerians inside the bus already with their sad faces, those policemen also made several arrests along the way.. dey took us to AREA G (Ogba) this was around 1pm i tried fighting 4 my right until i received one very HOT slap 4rm one of them, dey forced me to remove my cloth n stay under the sun for fighting 4 my right. i stayed there till 5pm when i called my mum to bail me out.
i almost faced same tin at ikeja under bridge...but in my case dey didnt see any international number....they just left me after i told them who my dad waz....
Re: A Night At A Lagos Police Station by eluquenson(m): 2:29pm On Sep 26, 2013
HolyHolla:

That reminds me. Does anyone know what happened to the CCTV cameras meant to be installed in Abuja and Lagos, for which the FG made budget allocation some 3 years back?

That's a timely reminder, infact they mounted one cctv in front of my office here at Broad street, bt I can tell you categorically, its not working since they put it there, am sure they just put it there for people to see not for the camera to see.
Nigerian govt has failed the populace, may be Things should Fall apart joor.
Re: A Night At A Lagos Police Station by ebiye55(m): 2:32pm On Sep 26, 2013
ayanfeeledumare: At the front of Idimu Police Station where another Area Police Commander is situated is a beehive at night for police officers who create illegal road block in order to carry out their so called stop and search of vehicles, and collect money from commercial bus drivers. I thought the IG has cancelled all road blocks on our roads. Idimu Police Station Officer seem to be more than the IG. I no say one day na one day.

I have had an encounter with them, they stopped me, asked me to drive beside the fence of the station(not inside). They checked all my vehicle particulars and DL and said my DL was fake! All because the issuing state was LAGOS and the code at the back began with RV (rivers state)

My response to him [OGA, anywhere you want make we go, I ready my licence no be fake!] The guy fear!!! grin
Re: A Night At A Lagos Police Station by roosebolton: 2:41pm On Sep 26, 2013
Sad tale.. what is even sadder is the fact that this abuse thrives in a community where illiteracy is high. If they is anything that can be learned from this account, its the value an enlightened citizenry brings to a community. OP was able to secure the release of his neighbor just because he stood his ground (by insisting he would see the DPO as is right demands) at the same time others were paying to release their own people. The only way one can halt the abusive tendencies of police is through education. Its almost impossible to enforce a right u don't even know exist
Re: A Night At A Lagos Police Station by Pattey(m): 2:42pm On Sep 26, 2013
malele: And people will tell me division won't stop all these madness one sees in nigeria.

cODE! . . . Did you think @ all before typing this?
Re: A Night At A Lagos Police Station by wakabout(m): 2:55pm On Sep 26, 2013
I'm unhappy with the OP for hiding the identity of the police station. What purpose has your narration served now? What or who are u afraid of? Or who are u protecting? Evil persists when good men fail to do something. Next time, disclose the station, date and time. Otherwise, simply keep it to yourself.
Re: A Night At A Lagos Police Station by Aadeyinka(m): 2:55pm On Sep 26, 2013
stexsy: i just hate those guys wit passion..
stexsy: i just hate those guys wit passion..
[quote author=stexsy]i just hate those guys wit passion. Nigerian police are just too useless, they ride innocient citizen, similar thing almost happen to me, i immediately bail myself out but i curse them deep down inside me before given out the forceful money, shame on them
Re: A Night At A Lagos Police Station by Ayomax(m): 3:02pm On Sep 26, 2013
DO WE HAVE ANY POLICE MAN/WOMAN ON NAIRALAND TO PLZ COMMENT ON THIS. LET HEAR FROM THEM ALSO grin
Re: A Night At A Lagos Police Station by sweettease(f): 3:08pm On Sep 26, 2013
emmysenior:

grin grin grin [size=13pt] So, you are shocked and disappointed cos the writer felt the same way and not cos of the attitude of the Nigeria policemen.

Nairalanders, una no go kill person ooo... grin grin grin[/size]
Did you border to read the rest of my post or seeing two 'appalled' excited you so much that you culdnt resist the urge to quote me. He was appalled that such stil happens and am actually appalled that he didn't know cos its still very common!

royale442: I'm also appalled that you are appalled that he is appalled.
Lmao, this appalled don dey too much o
Re: A Night At A Lagos Police Station by raqueal(f): 3:12pm On Sep 26, 2013
My experience with the Police:

Two plain clothed policemen came after I and my friend, on a sunny tuesday while we walked into our compound. They were polite and asked us to come in for questioning concerning an investigation about a hit that was carried out the previous night. Hit ke? we were confused because we didn't know how it concerned us. After so much talk, we went with them but they changed it for us at the police station. We saw quite a number of neighbors and hall mates behind the counter and were ordered to sit with them.

I refused because the charge was that i and my friend knew the where about of a "wanted student/ criminal/ suspect" because i and a bunch of other hall mates helped him move his stuff into a car the previously day, when he moved out of the same premises we all occupied. Akoba adaba olorun ma je ka ri ke. It was then i knew that they had no leads and made random arrests .

I was threatened to be shot, cuffed and locked up and i went all legal on them. Thank God for the few times i had seen my father in action. I used that knowledge to confuse them and threatened to walk out. The D.P.O disturbed by the noise showed up and asked what it was all about. He asked if i knew where the guy lived and i told him that i had no idea, he then told me that i was free to go. Shoulders high, i walked out and sat under the nearest tree my entire body shaking. All this while, my friend timidly went behind the counter. I left her there, called her parents and bought her food. She spent 2 nights there on additional trumped up charges. The rest were released on 20k bail each.
Re: A Night At A Lagos Police Station by crissmac: 3:12pm On Sep 26, 2013
this type of thing happens everywhere. it leaves a very bitter taste in the mouth of those unlucky to experience it. but it should be noted that, if you are a victim, a radical and tact display of boldness or courage can help a lot.
it rily hurts cuz the Police only display their might on innocent people but never seem to be around in crisis situations (armed robbery/terror attacks).

1 Like

Re: A Night At A Lagos Police Station by rhames(m): 4:11pm On Sep 26, 2013
Nigerian Extortion Force.

1 Like

Re: A Night At A Lagos Police Station by Hero10001: 4:47pm On Sep 26, 2013
There is a Country,
anybody that's got balls to commit crime get paid..

I got hooked too on three different occasions.
They beat nonsense for my bodi..
It is a common thing to get hooked by those eediots in Lagos. Esp in Agege, Ogba, ikeja etc.
Re: A Night At A Lagos Police Station by KriTic24A: 4:55pm On Sep 26, 2013
SLIDE waxie: that's is the point!
It happens everywhere!

Is police now a Lagos thing?
We all knw diverse people with diverse ethnicity are being posted to any state by the feds as a police officer!

i dnt get the point of the adjective- Lagos.
This is the Nigerian police. Lagos dnt own a police station, so is any other state.

i biliv we're not trying to say Fashola is the one asking them to extort people?

Do you still remember that police escalated the Boko Haram that Nigeria is saddled with today??

The people at the top will pretend they didn't hear us talk....

One person, i say only ONE PERSON started the Arab Spring....

Just about two weeks ago, a coporal shot and KILLED an ASP....

A day will come all of us will be pushed to that level where staying alive will not mean anything to us and there will be consequences...

If you are one of the ''TOPPERS'', a word should be enough for you....

Put the excesses of YOUR police in check now before it is too late...

You or your family might be the next to be consumed by your police because these so-called police are definitely not the people's police...

I talk my own now ooo..
Re: A Night At A Lagos Police Station by Godspikin: 5:45pm On Sep 26, 2013
This is not fiction, it is a common occurence in Lagos. I remember my experience with these thieves called police at Allen junction in 2010. I was just coming out of a bank, skye bank precisely, then this young man approached me and asked me to identify myself, I had no I.d card on me but because I had noticed he was aware I had some money on me, I actually had just withdrawn #20,000, so I said y shuld I do that, he said he is a police officer and I was under arrest. I was boiling inside but had to take it cool, he asked me and my friend who had gone with me, cos we were actually going,tobuy a suit to come over to their Vehicle which he called Area sumtin, I folowed him, he searched us and found money on me, he then searched ma fone and found some emails and a draft message I had planned to send to the governor of my state protesting his non payment of bursaries, the police man lauhed,hysterivally and said this is treason... I was mad.... Ba3 low....
Re: A Night At A Lagos Police Station by rhazur(m): 6:04pm On Sep 26, 2013
newgroom: Even though this is a common happenstance in Lagos, Nigeria, I can swear on top of Seun's girlfriend that this is entirely fictional, a superstory!

Wetin this one dey talk!!!
Re: A Night At A Lagos Police Station by rhazur(m): 6:09pm On Sep 26, 2013
Godspikin: This is not fiction, it is a common occurence in Lagos. I remember my experience with these thieves called police at Allen junction in 2010. I was just coming out of a bank, skye bank precisely, then this young man approached me and asked me to identify myself, I had no I.d card on me but because I had noticed he was aware I had some money on me, I actually had just withdrawn #20,000, so I said y shuld I do that, he said he is a police officer and I was under arrest. I was boiling inside but had to take it cool, he asked me and my friend who had gone with me, cos we were actually going,tobuy a suit to come over to their Vehicle which he called Area sumtin, I folowed him, he searched us and found money on me, he then searched ma fone and found some emails and a draft message I had planned to send to the governor of my state protesting his non payment of bursaries, the police man lauhed,hysterivally and said this is treason... I was mad.... Ba3 low....

Fabu of lyf......... grin
Godspikin: This is not fiction, it is a common occurence in Lagos. I remember my experience with these thieves called police at Allen junction in 2010. I was just coming out of a bank, skye bank precisely, then this young man approached me and asked me to identify myself, I had no I.d card on me but because I had noticed he was aware I had some money on me, I actually had just withdrawn #20,000, so I said y shuld I do that, he said he is a police officer and I was under arrest. I was boiling inside but had to take it cool, he asked me and my friend who had gone with me, cos we were actually going,tobuy a suit to come over to their Vehicle which he called Area sumtin, I folowed him, he searched us and found money on me, he then searched ma fone and found some emails and a draft message I had planned to send to the governor of my state protesting his non payment of bursaries, the police man lauhed,hysterivally and said this is treason... I was mad.... Ba3 low....

Fabu of lyf......... grin
Re: A Night At A Lagos Police Station by InvertedHammer: 8:10pm On Sep 26, 2013
..."-Ember" months thing...Xmas is nigh!

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

PDP Rejects Soremekun As Ondo INEC Chief, Alleges Plot To Rig Elections / We Are Targeting Zero Import Bill For Food Consumption – Buhari / Imo House Of Assembly Suspends 27 LGAs Chairmen

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.