Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,156 members, 7,835,854 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 04:17 PM

What Is So Special About Mona Lisa? - Art, Graphics & Video (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Art, Graphics & Video / What Is So Special About Mona Lisa? (32150 Views)

Epson 900series:what's Special About This Latest Generation Large Format Printer / Conversation Wit Mona Lisa (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Is So Special About Mona Lisa? by UjSizzle(f): 10:16am On Sep 29, 2013
Monalisa
Amon, L'isa= Egyptian gods for male and female sexuality.

It's said that the painting was named after these gods, cos it looks both masculine and feminine at the same time.

I think the uniqueness of it lies in the fact that no one knows for certain who 'it' is that was used for the portrait, or what Da Vinci was thinking when he drew it.
And that weird smirk on it's face looks like it's saying "Yeah lets watch you figure me out" tongue

2 Likes

Re: What Is So Special About Mona Lisa? by Willgates(m): 10:16am On Sep 29, 2013
Na virgin Mary una Dey call monalisa?

#MKPO ABA O
Re: What Is So Special About Mona Lisa? by bighead1(m): 10:16am On Sep 29, 2013
Re: What Is So Special About Mona Lisa? by AreaFada2: 10:21am On Sep 29, 2013
@Poster. Have you seen the original painting at the Louvre Museum?

It's really quite impressive.

I think it is the fact that she depicts several human emotions, depending on the angle you view her face from.

And above all, Westerners value their own art and culture while we Africans indulge in tribalism against each other. And see where it has got us so far.
Re: What Is So Special About Mona Lisa? by tuagbo: 10:22am On Sep 29, 2013
The "Mona Lisa" is a painting by Leonardo da Vinci which he was trying to pass the message that a human being isn't complete without having male AND female traits.The picture is a combination of a man AND a woman.The right side represents a man(that was the attire men wore in that era) and the left side represents a woman.
Re: What Is So Special About Mona Lisa? by druid06(m): 10:26am On Sep 29, 2013
uj_sizzle: Monalisa
Amon, L'isa= Egyptian gods for male and female sexuality.

It's said that the painting was named after these gods, cos it looks both masculine and feminine at the same time.

I think the uniqueness of it lies in the fact that no one knows for certain who 'it' is that was used for the portrait, or what Da Vinci was thinking when he drew it.
And that weird smirk on it's face looks like it's saying "Yeah lets watch you figure me out" tongue

This is correct. I'm sure you culled this from a website. You're not this smart.

1 Like

Re: What Is So Special About Mona Lisa? by Ichel: 10:26am On Sep 29, 2013
D special tin about Monalisa is dat she is d daughter of Chinda.
On a serious note, i tink its d way it was painted, d life dat was given to it, d browles smirk, and d person dat was painted
Re: What Is So Special About Mona Lisa? by chestersmith: 10:31am On Sep 29, 2013
Nipeks: People say it is the technique he used, the way he painted the eyes, the way she smiles blah blah blah but me I think the portrait is over hyped. There are portraits that are more perfect than perfect than Mona Lisa but didn't get that much recognition. The value of an art is directly proportional to its publicity whether beautiful not. This is the same for other form of art like music.

[size=25pt]BECAUSE THATS MARY MACDALENE, THE WIFE OF JESUS CHRIST. THE HOLY GODESS. PAINTED BY DA VINCI. THE OGA ON TOP WANTED TO CONCEAL THIS SHE EXISTED THATS WHY IT WAS PAINTED AS MONA LISA.

[/size]

end time stuffs.
Re: What Is So Special About Mona Lisa? by Nobody: 10:32am On Sep 29, 2013
4reigningqueen: I think it represents "having pains in your heart yet having a smilling face!" in short, suffering and smilling! I hope am right.
Re: What Is So Special About Mona Lisa? by Nobody: 10:34am On Sep 29, 2013

3 Likes

Re: What Is So Special About Mona Lisa? by Nobody: 10:34am On Sep 29, 2013
Menolisa is mary magdaline, the wife of jesus.

google is your friend.
Re: What Is So Special About Mona Lisa? by ckamal: 10:35am On Sep 29, 2013
Monalisa. Was painted with a sperm

1 Like

Re: What Is So Special About Mona Lisa? by ojeffo: 10:36am On Sep 29, 2013
spywareczar: Who is monalisa?? undecided (a typical nairalander question grin)
She is d daughter of Chinda..she is a nollywood actress
With so much Tozo on her body
Re: What Is So Special About Mona Lisa? by nickz(m): 10:36am On Sep 29, 2013
I prefer'the last supper'painting

1 Like

Re: What Is So Special About Mona Lisa? by pankere(m): 10:39am On Sep 29, 2013
One school of thought which was backed by several documentaries is tht the Mona Lisa is actually a portrait of Da Vinci himself.HE PAINTED HIMSELF IN A FEMALE FORM.here is a pix to explain

Re: What Is So Special About Mona Lisa? by joseph1832(m): 10:40am On Sep 29, 2013
I believe it's because of the fact that it was one of Da vinci's greatest work.

Da vinci's vitruvian man follows suit, no thanks to Dan Brown and his conspiracy theory.

1 Like

Re: What Is So Special About Mona Lisa? by Ichel: 10:40am On Sep 29, 2013
chestersmith:

[size=25pt]BECAUSE THATS MARY MACDALENE, THE WIFE OF JESUS CHRIST. THE HOLY GODESS. PAINTED BY DA VINCI. THE OGA ON TOP WANTED TO CONCEAL THIS SHE EXISTED THATS WHY IT WAS PAINTED AS MONA LISA.

[/size]

end time stuffs.
where d heck did u get dis ur theory from. D painting was done many years after the death of d Mary, so how could that be she. Too much of Dan Brown work aint good for you dude

1 Like

Re: What Is So Special About Mona Lisa? by Consultville(m): 10:42am On Sep 29, 2013
Looking at Mona Lisa as a whole one might not be able to figure-out its perfection. But breaking the picture into image fragements you will see an high sense of in-depth thinking and perfection

First, who is the woman pictured in the "Mona Lisa"? Some people speculate she was actually male, while others have suggested she represents the ideal of womanhood. Today, it is commonly believed she was Lisa Gherardini, the wife of Florentine silk merchant Francesco del Giocondo, a friend of the artist. The portrait was commissioned around 1503, but the Giocondos never took possession of it. Da Vinci kept the painting until his death. It eventually became the property of King Francois I of France. Passed down through the French court, the "Mona Lisa" has spent the majority of its life hanging in palaces and museums [source: http://www.louvre.fr/selections].

From an artistic standpoint, the "Mona Lisa" represented a new formula both for da Vinci and 16th-century portrait painting. Because the artist used a technique called sfumato, meaning "vanish" or "evaporate," the subject of the painting, with her glowing skin, appears almost real. Critics agree, the Mona Lisa also conveys a powerful sense of harmony both in her features and against the background, a result of da Vinci's understanding of anatomy and his ability to calculate perspective mathematically [source: http://www.pbs.org/treasuresoftheworld/a_nav/mona_nav/mnav_level_1/3technique_monafrm.html].

However, it's Mona Lisa's enigmatic smile and gaze that has most intrigued her many admirers. The facial expression in the painting seems to suggest happiness, but that can change depending on how it is viewed. Again, this was an intentional device used by da Vinci who used his understanding of anatomy, light and perspective to create a "dynamic" facial expression, rather than a static one [source: http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn18019-mona-lisas-smile-a-mystery-no-more.html#.Ukf1Wj_Bymk].

6 Likes

Re: What Is So Special About Mona Lisa? by Nobody: 10:43am On Sep 29, 2013
yuncka: She realy evolved more dan d others, daz all.
funny pictures! grin
Re: What Is So Special About Mona Lisa? by Nobody: 10:45am On Sep 29, 2013
tuagbo: The "Mona Lisa" is a painting by Leonardo da Vinci which he was trying to pass the message that a human being isn't complete without having male AND female traits.The picture is a combination of a man AND a woman.The right side represents a man(that was the attire men wore in that era) and the left side represents a woman.
you're very correct!! cool
Re: What Is So Special About Mona Lisa? by wordcat(m): 10:47am On Sep 29, 2013
[quote
author=bernonpoint]for me the painting is so unique especially if u
read the Dan Vinci Code. . . . Anything worth doing is worth well.
I heard it took him like 5 years to design the mouth alone[/quote];

The op is talking about the painting not about Da Vinci code. And saying dat it took him 5yrs to design the mouth alone shows dat he didn't knw what he was doing.

1 Like

Re: What Is So Special About Mona Lisa? by adecharly(m): 10:48am On Sep 29, 2013
The Mona Lisa ( La Gioconda or La
Joconde ) is a half-length portrait of a woman
by the Italian artist Leonardo da Vinci, which
has been acclaimed as "the best known, the most
visited, the most written about, the most sung
about, the most parodied work of art in the
world."
The painting, thought to be a portrait of Lisa
Gherardini, the wife of Francesco del
Giocondo, is in oil on a white Lombardy poplar
panel , and is believed to have been painted
between 1503 and 1506, although Leonardo may
have continued working on it as late as 1517. It
was acquired by King Francis I of France and
is now the property of the French Republic , on
permanent display at The Louvre museum in
Paris since 1797.
The ambiguity of the subject's expression, which is frequently described as enigmatic, the monumentality of the composition, the subtle modeling of forms and the
atmospheric illusionism were novel qualities that
have contributed to the continuing fascination and
study of the work
Title and subject
Main article: Lisa del Giocondo
The title of the painting that is known in English
as Mona Lisa stems from a description by
Renaissance art historian Giorgio Vasari , who
wrote " Leonardo undertook to paint, for
Francesco del Giocondo, the portrait of
Mona Lisa, his wife ."
Mona in Italian
is a polite form of address originating as ma
donna —similar to Ma’am , Madam , or my
lady in English. This became madonna, and
its contraction mona . The title of the painting,
though traditionally spelled "Mona" (as used by
Vasari), is also commonly spelled in modern
Italian as Monna Lisa , but this is rare in
English.
Vasari's account of the Mona Lisa comes from
his biography of Leonardo published in 1550, 31
years after the artist's death, and which has long
been the best known source of information on the
provenance of the work and identity of the sitter.
Leonardo's assistant Salaì , at his death in 1525,
owned a portrait which in his personal papers
was named la Gioconda , a painting bequeathed
to him by Leonardo. That Leonardo painted such
a work, and its date, were confirmed in 2005
when a scholar at Heidelberg University
discovered a margin note in a volume written by
Roman philosopher Cicero printed in 1477. The
margin note had been written by Leonardo's
contemporary Agostino Vespucci , and likened
Leonardo to renowned Greek painter Apelles,
who is mentioned in the text. The note states
that Leonardo was at that time working on a
painting of Lisa del Giocondo, and is dated
October 1503.
A margin note by Agostino Vespucci
( visible at right) discovered in a book at
Heidelberg University , dating to 1503, states
that Leonardo was working on a portrait of
Lisa del Giocondo.
The sitter, Lisa del Giocondo, was a
member of the Gherardini family of Florence
and Tuscany , and the wife of wealthy
Florentine silk merchant Francesco del
Giocondo. The painting is thought to have
been commissioned for their new home, and to
celebrate the birth of their second son, Andrea.
The Italian name for the painting, La
Gioconda, means "jocund" ("happy" or "jovial"wink,
or literally "the jocund one", a pun on the
feminine form of the sitter's married name
Giocondo . In French, the title La
Joconde has the same meaning.
Over the years there have been several
alternative views among scholars as to the subject
of the painting. Some have argued that Lisa del
Giocondo was the subject of a different portrait,
identifying at least four other paintings as the
Mona Lisa referred to by Vasari.
Several other individuals have been proposed as
the subject of the painting. Isabella of
Aragon , Cecilia Gallerani, Costanza
d'Avalos, Duchess of Francavilla, Isabella
d'Este , Pacifica Brandano or Brandino,
Isabela Gualanda, Caterina Sforza , —even
Salaì and Leonardo himself— are all among the
list of posited models portrayed in the painting.
Currently, the consensus of art historians
is that the painting depicts Lisa del Giocondo,
which has always been the traditional view.

from Wikimedia.
Re: What Is So Special About Mona Lisa? by JABB(m): 10:49am On Sep 29, 2013
End Times Mona Lisa Things!
Re: What Is So Special About Mona Lisa? by joseph1832(m): 10:49am On Sep 29, 2013
berem: funny pictures! grin
it's quite funny the way people seem to make caricature of almost everything they come across.
Re: What Is So Special About Mona Lisa? by criuze(m): 10:52am On Sep 29, 2013
its because the paint was mixed by a black african, probably the chief painter of the ancient Benin royal court, and if you look well at the face, you discern two dimensions of emotional states. so the mystry now becomes that both black and white are beatiful. Warning : Nigeria made conspiracy theory.

1 Like

Re: What Is So Special About Mona Lisa? by Nobody: 10:52am On Sep 29, 2013
Wait let me consult the oracle
Re: What Is So Special About Mona Lisa? by myners007: 10:54am On Sep 29, 2013
Most Nigerians are blinded to the beauty of classic art works.Monalisa painting is world famous because of the dual mood it depicts. if you are angry and you look at the portrait,it will give you that smile that will cheer u up. But when your are over excited or ur joyful mood is activated, looking at the portrait will attract a slight stern look from it that will help u check ur excessive excited mood. So whenever you see the Monalisa portrait"jst watch out for the way it will change your mood

1 Like

Re: What Is So Special About Mona Lisa? by djibola(m): 10:54am On Sep 29, 2013
the monalisa is just like any other painting;all unique in their own ways.there are several arguments as to why it is unarguably the most popular painting in the world bt the most valid one(i think) is that the personality of the painter-leonardo da vinci is wat made it popular.Google leonardo da vinci,see if u wont be impressed... . . ...
Re: What Is So Special About Mona Lisa? by ceejayluv(m): 10:57am On Sep 29, 2013
Ms_Steph: I always use to think d same about dis painting. And d price for the original fit buy u house nd furnish the house
It'll build a housing estate and furnish same....
Re: What Is So Special About Mona Lisa? by badmeat(m): 11:13am On Sep 29, 2013
She is special!she is the great grand mother of MONALISA chinda!grin
Re: What Is So Special About Mona Lisa? by roxell120(m): 11:21am On Sep 29, 2013
epitone of beauty and great work of art
Re: What Is So Special About Mona Lisa? by Nobody: 11:21am On Sep 29, 2013
What what what what what what what what what what what what what what what what what what what what what what what what what what what what what what what what what what what what what what what what what what what what what what what what what what what what what what what what what what what what what what what what what what what what what what is is is is is is is is is is is is is is is is is is this this this this this this this this this this this this this

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Nairalander Uses Toothpick To Make Crazy Art And Portrait / Pencil Works By My 14 Year Old Borther / Drawing & Painting Of An 8-Year-Old Boy (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.