Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,089 members, 7,835,662 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 01:07 PM

Wordpress Host Migration - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / Wordpress Host Migration (1160 Views)

$1/month VPS - Dedicated IP - Cpanel @ $10.95 - Free Migration / Trudigits: My Best Nigerian Web Host Ever / I Need A Reliable And Affordable Host For Joomla And Wordpress. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Wordpress Host Migration by adewasco2k(m): 11:31pm On Sep 26, 2013
I designed a site using wordpress for a law campaign, I did a whole lot of work to have the who list of the Law of the federation paginated alphabetically and other cool things.

I received a message from the host company (Web4Africa) that they will be migrating the site to a new host for better performance over the weekend.

I then tried to check the site immediately (mostly. I dnt visit the site because I have handed it over to the client) then the site was offline, I didn't panic since the said they will be migrating it.

Just tonight I recalled and decided to check the site and what came up was the install file, http://mysite.com/install.php asking for informations like site name and username and password, I was surprise, (anybosy could have done that).

Before filling that I then logged into the cpanel to make sure the files are still intact, and I suppose they were. So I filled in the info and was taken to the dashboard, but now the site is just empty, all post/pages/menu/widgets gone.

Installed plugins still there, installed theme still there but all post and pages gone.

Opened a ticket but yet to receive a reply, just want to hear from wordpress gurus, what might has gone wrong.

The Law firm is planing a big event to come up December which was why they needed the site and jezz! I just. Dnt have must time to start all over again, aint there anyway I can retrieve them?

The database on phpmyadmin looks empty.

Thanks
Re: Wordpress Host Migration by Nobody: 11:38pm On Sep 26, 2013
If the database on your phpmyadmin seems to be empty that means your files has been lost. Even if you check the scripts you installed on your domain via your cpanel or ftp client software.it will be showing there.
Just start all over again,and don't believe that anybody can do something about these
Re: Wordpress Host Migration by adewasco2k(m): 11:44pm On Sep 26, 2013
mikketech: If the database on your phpmyadmin seems to be empty that means your files has been lost. Even if you check the scripts you installed on your domain via your cpanel or ftp client software.it will be showing there.
Just start all over again,and don't believe that anybody can do something about these

seriously i know the truth just cant deal with it, my hope was if ever it is possible that the migration was not completed, if there is any chance of my files still on there old server, just may be sad
Re: Wordpress Host Migration by realugee: 12:00am On Sep 27, 2013
There's still hope. The Issue here is that your Database is missing. There's a possibility your database is backed up with your web host (Web 4 Africa). If they don't have a copy of it, then you have to start again, and I'll give you one advice, never use them again.

If your web host is migrating to another server it is very wrong of them to loose your files. Anyway, that's the issue with Nigerian Web hosts. I don't expect that from Web 4 Africa sha... I use a Nigerian web host too... for those planning to crucify me, I just don't feel they are good enough.

Just wait till they reply you and here what they have to say, they can't just misplace your database files like that. Not for their standard...
Re: Wordpress Host Migration by adewasco2k(m): 12:02am On Sep 27, 2013
This will be my very last attempt to patronize any local hosting company, BTW i think i just found a database backup i made while the work was till going on, may be i can start from there. #SoPissed
Re: Wordpress Host Migration by adewasco2k(m): 12:06am On Sep 27, 2013
real_ugee: There's still hope. The Issue here is that your Database is missing. There's a possibility your database is backed up with your web host (Web 4 Africa). If they don't have a copy of it, then you have to start again, and I'll give you one advice, never use them again.

If your web host is migrating to another server it is very wrong of them to loose your files. Anyway, that's the issue with Nigerian Web hosts. I don't expect that from Web 4 Africa sha... I use a Nigerian web host too... for those planning to crucify me, I just don't feel they are good enough.

Just wait till they reply you and here what they have to say, they can't just misplace your database files like that. Not for their standard...

Thanks bro, that is also my stand, i am also waiting to hear from them before i start, myabe they have good news, so back, my database is so empty right now, how on earth? why didnt they even ask me to backup.

I am super pissed, just going to waste my precious time all over again while other valuable projects stay idle, NEVER EVER trying any of those Naija or Africa what so ever hosting company again. Jezzzzzz.....imagine for more than an hour no reply
Re: Wordpress Host Migration by realugee: 12:12am On Sep 27, 2013
adewasco2k: This will be my very last attempt to patronize any local hosting company, BTW i think i just found a database backup i made while the work was till going on, may be i can start from there. #SoPissed

Try restoring the database backup. Do you know hot do it? There are still some good web hosting companies in Nigeria though, all you have to do is make sure you backup your stuff yourself, so that whne they mess up, you'll move on.

I just want to say this again, any reasonable web host would backup before migrating to another server. When my host was migrating, me to another server in order to give me Cloudflare, we had some issues, although my site was down for some time, they restored my stuff back to the old server and my site was up again, while they were trying to figure out what to do.

Don't ask me about my host. I don't want them to get popular, so they won't start messing up like web4africa... africa my foot.
Re: Wordpress Host Migration by Nobody: 5:21pm On Sep 27, 2013
adewasco2k:

seriously i know the truth just cant deal with it, my hope was if ever it is possible that the migration was not completed, if there is any chance of my files still on there old server, just may be sad

Nigerian host I guess?
Re: Wordpress Host Migration by adewasco2k(m): 9:54pm On Sep 27, 2013
mikketech:

Nigerian host I guess?

More like i nigerian host Nigerian/Ghanian Hosting Company
Re: Wordpress Host Migration by adewasco2k(m): 9:56pm On Sep 27, 2013
Thanks guys, i was so so lucky i didnt even know i did a recent backup of the site, imported the backup and everything is fine now, that saved me alot of work.

Guys dont ever forget to do a backup of you projects often....i just took my time to backup all sites at my care

(1) (Reply)

I Need One On One Tutor In Web Design And Development Urgently / Start Your Own Domain And Web Hosting Company For FREEĀ» Information Thread / Earn More Money On Your Blog By Creating Your Own Products

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.