Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,464 members, 7,823,083 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 11:41 PM

Presidency May Cancel Nigerian Immigration Service Recruitment - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Presidency May Cancel Nigerian Immigration Service Recruitment (3855 Views)

Online Registration Process For Nigerian Immigration Service Recruitment 2013 / Nigeria Immigration Service Recruiting For 2013/2014 - How True? / Nigerian Immigration Service Recruitment 2011 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Presidency May Cancel Nigerian Immigration Service Recruitment by buragidi(m): 1:14pm On Sep 27, 2013
The current recruitment excercise into the Nigerian Immigration Service (NIS) is mostly likely to be canceled next week by President Goodluck Jonathan based on the controversy and public outcry against the N1,000 processing charges being collected from each applicant. Even though the Service claims that the amount charged for scratch cards is paid to their recruitment Consultants, the National Association of Unemployed Youth have put a serious resistance against the Charges. Apart from writing a petition to the Presidency and National Assembly against the charge, the President of the Association, Solomon Adodo and his Publicity Secretary appeared on 99.5fm Nigerian info (talk, news and sport station) yesterday evening on Kimberly Nwachukwu's show and articulated the bitterness of the unemployed against the charge. According to Mr. Solomon, it is the height of wickedness from the government to ask the unemployed to pay money to apply for job. He stated further that the sum of N1,000 charged appear immaterial (even though it is still a huge sum to some job seekers with no source of income) but when the sum is multiplied by the number of the unemployed, it translates into billions of Naira. According to him, the number of unemployed is put at 40million. If say 5% applied and pay N1,000 each, immigration would have raised a sum of N2 billion from the unemployed. He beleived this is extortion. He clarified further that even if the fund is for the consultant, it is like issuing the Consultant a blank cheque to raise billions of Naira from the 40million unemployed Nigerians. He stated further that the cost of recruitment consulting should be the responsibility of the employers and not that of the job seeker. In his words "if this administraton could dole out billions of Naira to the Niger-delta millitants who are nothing but criminals and proposed to dole out even more to the Boko-Haram members in the north for carrying out arms against the State, would it be out of tune for government to pay the consultants fee for recruiting the unemployed Nigerians? What the unemployed is facing in this Country is enough to make him take up arms. This is some one who has acquired education and good skills, yet has no job. Many are homeless and beg to feed but still remain law abiding citizens in the midst of their plights, yet all the government could think about is to look for ways to extort money from these set of people in the name of providing jobs. This is unfair and unacceptale. We shall use everything at our disposal, including the law, to stop it". Many Nigerians phoned-in and passionatelly condemned the charge. It was really a very heated discussion as Nigerians vented their anger against what many described height of inhumanity by people who enjoyed free education and selected jobs during their days. A twist was eventually brought into the discussion when the Special Adviser to President Jonathan on Job creation, Josephine Washima called-in to hear her views on the matter. She started by commending the President and the publicity Secretary (who she claims to be well-known to her) for their passion and commitment to the course of the unemployed youth. She stated further that her submissions on the matter is the insider's (government) view as she speaks on her authority as the SA to Mr. President. She mentioned that it is against the Nigeria labour law for any would-be employer to charge potential employee any money under any guise even befor the employment contract. She said as such, the presidency have met and decided to stop the recruitment excercise in the Nigeria Immigration Services. She further said anyone who has paid in any Bank for the excercise would have his/her money refunded. According to her, the official announcement would be made next week on resumption from independence public holiday. She stressed further that the arguement of some of the recruting government Institution is that they do not have budget for recruitment in the year but have staff needs. She also said that not only government should be blame for this extortion but also Banks that are used as conduit pipe to collect this money. She mentioned further that it is not solely a leadership problem but a societal decadence as she mentioned a case of a syndicate in the eastern part of the country which opened Account in a Bank in the name of Head of Service of Federation to siphon money from unsuspecting job seekers. She enjoined all Nigerians to report similar cases to the government. In his closing remarks, Mr. Solomon, while descibing the SA's view as victory for the unemployed expressed his gratitude to the her for the hope she has brought for the unemployed. He was however quick to point out that there is no sense scrapping the recruitment as millionns of Nigerians need job but only that they should not be made to pay any charge while the recruitment itself should be free, fair and devoid of god-fatherism

2 Likes

Re: Presidency May Cancel Nigerian Immigration Service Recruitment by TUNFOL: 1:51pm On Sep 27, 2013
Hmmm. Na wa oooo. This country is just a joke. I said it the very 1st time that it is corruption. Hw can u collect money fromm people who have no means of livelihood and no b say the job na sure banker after u don pay oooo. Rich stealing from the poor. I mod, put am for front page so that people will stop making payment. It is a fraud. Dem suppose investigate the people behind it
Re: Presidency May Cancel Nigerian Immigration Service Recruitment by fijiano202(m): 2:08pm On Sep 27, 2013
This is goodnews for nigerian youths,thank God for this,i hope she actually comes thru cos societal decadence starts from individuals
Re: Presidency May Cancel Nigerian Immigration Service Recruitment by SaintChukz(m): 12:45am On Sep 28, 2013
Clueless Bunch...Very Insensitive government. Just hear what that Josephine of a thing is saying that "it is not solely a leadership problem" then why can't the entire causes of this decadence be laid bare once and for all?
Re: Presidency May Cancel Nigerian Immigration Service Recruitment by mobiss(m): 10:22pm On Sep 28, 2013
keeping my fingers crossed till then. So what happens to those who have paid d 1k? But,wait OP your source please wink
Re: Presidency May Cancel Nigerian Immigration Service Recruitment by blessed4ril(f): 2:58pm On Sep 29, 2013
Hmmmm!

Seriously observing!
Re: Presidency May Cancel Nigerian Immigration Service Recruitment by ejiykzazi2007(m): 11:50pm On Sep 29, 2013
If dis is true, its a welcome dev. But 1st, wots d source pls, hope dat association is not lokin for cheap publicity. Also where were they when d military that normally take d lion share of d national budget advertised dia jobs and charged *2 of wot Immigration charged nd dis military even take more less dan eva immigration has taken. For navy last year, I had it was 2 per State but millions applied nd paid ova 2500. But I heard Immigration wud recruit ova 5000. Am not tryin to justify d charge frm unemployed youths cos its incredible but d association shud as well say somtin about odas, even d current airforce dat charged 2850.

2 Likes

Re: Presidency May Cancel Nigerian Immigration Service Recruitment by Dollarjunkie: 8:09am On Sep 30, 2013
What of airforce? Their own is 2500 plus 350 bank charges totaling 2,850.
Re: Presidency May Cancel Nigerian Immigration Service Recruitment by engrsyer(m): 8:40am On Sep 30, 2013
How am I not sure if this statement is just to deceive us in other to calm the tension because I no longer trust our leaders again until I see it happen live to the ordinary citizens like me and u. Well time will tell. Shebi we don enter d next week she talk and tomorrow is independence day? We r watching how honorable u r to ur words unless u r a coward. kiss
Re: Presidency May Cancel Nigerian Immigration Service Recruitment by olumuyiolaoluwa: 1:54pm On Oct 01, 2013
Just Sojourned, ... wat`s goin on here?
Re: Presidency May Cancel Nigerian Immigration Service Recruitment by ednut1(m): 2:57pm On Oct 01, 2013
I jst dey looku nd laffu, bloody savages
Re: Presidency May Cancel Nigerian Immigration Service Recruitment by olamisegbe(m): 8:45am On Oct 08, 2013
What do we do now, when millions of people have already paid, they should have informed job seekers not to apply for the job right from the outset. Well, let continue with this and stop any other one.
Re: Presidency May Cancel Nigerian Immigration Service Recruitment by mafara: 7:47am On Nov 29, 2013
How can you call for the cancellation of Immigration Recruitment after 1000 fee have been reflected into their account. This is exactly the problem of our leaders you are calling for the cancel not for the sake of Unemployed youths, but for the sake of ur pocket to get ur own share. People have to think twice what about Air Force & Army that are collecting 2,850.00 Abdulmutallib Abubakar, Talata Mafara, Zamfara State.

(1) (Reply)

Latest Teaching Jobs In Port Harcourt At Chokhmah International Academy / Help Me Thank Jehova. Just Got A Good Job / 5 Hot Skills That Got Me My First Million Naira - I am Ready to Show You How.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.