Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,055 members, 7,818,163 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 09:16 AM

1.8m Lagosians Travel By Water Monthly – LASWA - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 1.8m Lagosians Travel By Water Monthly – LASWA (5668 Views)

How Ojo Boat Mishap Occured – LASWA Boss / Gani Adams Reveals That 85% Of Lagosians Want Jonathan / Agbaje Promises Free Internet Access To Lagosians If He Wins (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

1.8m Lagosians Travel By Water Monthly – LASWA by Ayekotoo(m): 3:46pm On Sep 27, 2013
Lagos – The Lagos State Waterways Authority (LASWA) on Friday said that an average of 1.8 million passengers now travel by water monthly around the state, up from the 1.5 million recorded as at June.
The Managing Director of LASWA, Mr Adeyinka Marinho, told reporters in Lagos that the increase in patronage was because more people.were getting aware of the boat operators and found them as a way to avoid the heavy traffic on Lagos roads.

“LASWA has been working hard with a lot of its operators; we have increased awareness on the waterways and we have more operators and vessels,’’ he said.
According to him, 117 vessels are being operated by 47 operators on the waterways, and more are being expected.

“We have now reached a stage where we have been able to move about 1.8 million people per month, and if you look at our figures, they are still rising,” Marinho said.
The managing director said that many people were opting for the waterways to get to their destinations in good time.

“The movement from Lagos Island to Ikorodu takes about 25 minutes; it takes the same time to get to Ojo. So, more people are getting aware that they can get to their destinations safely and quicker by water.

“The fresh air they get makes them feel much more comfortable; there are no exhaust fumes on the water and we have been able to increase our security patrols with the use of our own water guards.

“These guards superintend each of those jetties, making sure people comply with our safety requirements.
“By so doing, we have been able to drastically reduce waterway incidents,’’ he said.(NAN)

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2013/09/1-8m-now-travel-water-monthly-lagos-laswa/

1 Like

Re: 1.8m Lagosians Travel By Water Monthly – LASWA by Ayekotoo(m): 3:53pm On Sep 27, 2013
The Lagos State Waterways Authority is not looking back in its bid to make the state’s waters a veritable avenue for transportation, writes Demola Ojo

If you live in Lagos, then any piece of news that has to do with improving the chaotic traffic situation in one of the world’s fastest growing cities is bound to be of interest. One of such good news came three weeks ago when the Lagos State Waterways Authority published an invitation for Expression of Interest (EOI) for the operation and management of ferry terminals in a couple of national dailies.

This piece of information indicates progress in the plan of the government to encourage water transportation in a state where 22 percent of its physical environment is made up of lagoons and other water bodies.
Many citizens including this writer have over time lamented the fact that the waterways in the state are grossly underutilized. And considering the fact that Lagos is projected to be the third largest city in the world with a population of around 25 million in about 10 years, the traffic situation is bound to get worse if drastic measures are not taken.

The state government seems to have realised this as it embarks on multiple ways to ease the current gridlock, which are synonymous with Nigeria’s commercial nerve-centre. Recently, there was news that a company signed a 30- year franchise agreement to operate cable cars across the metropolis. And possibly top on the list of projects meant to ease transportation in Lagos is the much-vaunted Lagos light rail project, another plan that shows the state government realises the enormity of the task ahead.

http://www.thisdaylive.com/articles/for-laswa-water-transportation-is-it/144852/
Re: 1.8m Lagosians Travel By Water Monthly – LASWA by Ayekotoo(m): 3:59pm On Sep 27, 2013
from infrastructure to revenue generation to Education to Agriculture to security to Micro-finance institution to Judiciary to Budget planning to Urban planning to ICT to Transportation to Healthcare to many more.

3 Likes

Re: 1.8m Lagosians Travel By Water Monthly – LASWA by agbameta: 4:15pm On Sep 27, 2013
Re: 1.8m Lagosians Travel By Water Monthly – LASWA by agbameta: 4:18pm On Sep 27, 2013
Re: 1.8m Lagosians Travel By Water Monthly – LASWA by desgiezd(m): 4:31pm On Sep 27, 2013
The waterways are a way of getting to one's destination faster but the charges by the boat operators are too exploitative. The government needs to speedily complete its ferries and put them to use quickly so that more people will travel across the waterways at more affordable rates.

Paying N600.00 from Ikorodu to V/I is on the high side and a lot of people desirous of avoiding the terrible traffic on our roads find such water fares unaffordable.
Re: 1.8m Lagosians Travel By Water Monthly – LASWA by stebell(m): 4:42pm On Sep 27, 2013
@ OP, I jus like de place yu state "Fresh Air" in ur piece. So yu peeps in Lagos know hw/when to feel Fresh Air.
Long Live #Team Fresh Air#
Long Live Naija

Goodluck to yu all till 2019.

1 Like

Re: 1.8m Lagosians Travel By Water Monthly – LASWA by geeez: 5:02pm On Sep 27, 2013
God bless Lagos

God bless Yorubaland

Up next, the rail lines

1 Like

Re: 1.8m Lagosians Travel By Water Monthly – LASWA by emiye(m): 7:36pm On Sep 27, 2013
Wonderful news, frontpage material
Re: 1.8m Lagosians Travel By Water Monthly – LASWA by sEyi6: 8:23pm On Sep 27, 2013
agbameta:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tjRNE-f9QQM&feature=youtu.be

Nice clip. There is nothing as good as building those water vehicles ourselves in Nigeria.
Re: 1.8m Lagosians Travel By Water Monthly – LASWA by akintun: 8:31pm On Sep 27, 2013
desgiezd: The waterways are a way of getting to one's destination faster but the charges by the boat operators are too exploitative. The government needs to speedily complete its ferries and put them to use quickly so that more people will travel across the waterways at more affordable rates.

Paying N600.00 from Ikorodu to V/I is on the high side and a lot of people desirous of avoiding the terrible traffic on our roads find such water fares unaffordable.

600 naira from Ikorodu to VI is very affordable. Infact it is at par with d road transport.

1 Like

Re: 1.8m Lagosians Travel By Water Monthly – LASWA by Nobody: 11:16am On Sep 28, 2013
SW again? angry
Re: 1.8m Lagosians Travel By Water Monthly – LASWA by phaphyz05(m): 11:20am On Sep 28, 2013
And how does dis stop ASUU strike *goes to n fro whistling*
Re: 1.8m Lagosians Travel By Water Monthly – LASWA by Lilchilz(m): 11:22am On Sep 28, 2013
In a chemistry class, the teacher asked the
students
to name the atmospheric gases:
musa: oxygen.
Teacher: Good. Chidi: Nitrogen.
Teacher: That's my boy!!!! Kemi: Hydrogen.
Teacher: Wonderful!!!!!! ! Akpos: Tear gas.
Teacher: Akpos, you have one more chance,
else
you will be punished.
Akpos thinks hard and says: Fabregas

4 Likes

Re: 1.8m Lagosians Travel By Water Monthly – LASWA by Nobody: 11:28am On Sep 28, 2013
Lil chilz: In a chemistry class, the teacher asked the
students
to name the atmospheric gases:
musa: oxygen.
Teacher: Good. Chidi: Nitrogen.
Teacher: That's my boy!!!! Kemi: Hydrogen.
Teacher: Wonderful!!!!!! ! Akpos: Tear gas.
Teacher: Akpos, you have one more chance,
else
you will be punished.
Akpos thinks hard and says: Fabregas
lwkm
Re: 1.8m Lagosians Travel By Water Monthly – LASWA by taharqa: 11:30am On Sep 28, 2013
Good... These are d sort of things one loves to hear: DEVELOPMENTS
Re: 1.8m Lagosians Travel By Water Monthly – LASWA by ifyalways(f): 11:37am On Sep 28, 2013
akintun:

600 naira from Ikorodu to VI is very affordable. Infact it is at par with d road transport.
na lie oh
Obalende to Ikorodu is less than 200N.my staff plies that route daily.
Re: 1.8m Lagosians Travel By Water Monthly – LASWA by IGBOCHAMPION: 11:38am On Sep 28, 2013
agbameta:

That pic reminds me of the Dark Knight movie.
Re: 1.8m Lagosians Travel By Water Monthly – LASWA by dridowu: 12:12pm On Sep 28, 2013
Lagos island to Ikorodu in 25minutes, dat sound good. Ok sha d number will soon increase cos i will join d terrain soon.
Eko oni bajeeeeee
Re: 1.8m Lagosians Travel By Water Monthly – LASWA by Nobody: 12:52pm On Sep 28, 2013
nice initiative from good and focus government with development oriented programs, the man is faithful in small things, if giving opportunity for bigger thing, he will surely do more, wish fashola will become Nigeria president from 2015 just for 4 years, Nigeria will turn to New York in Africa.
Re: 1.8m Lagosians Travel By Water Monthly – LASWA by GenWOJUOLA(m): 12:58pm On Sep 28, 2013
Kk, in an M*F*M way There so many marine powers in lagos

1 Like

Re: 1.8m Lagosians Travel By Water Monthly – LASWA by drnoel: 1:02pm On Sep 28, 2013
I was expecting this. Thank God but then i am just thinking how many top nuts in Lagos would travel via this means?
Re: 1.8m Lagosians Travel By Water Monthly – LASWA by Coldblooded(m): 1:11pm On Sep 28, 2013
I know water transport is costly cos I experienced it during my NYSC.Good Development.

But Are the passengers provided with life jackets?
Re: 1.8m Lagosians Travel By Water Monthly – LASWA by emiye(m): 1:17pm On Sep 28, 2013
Cold blooded: I know water transport is costly cos I experienced it during my NYSC.Good Development.

Are you that lazy? If you cant read, at least you should be able to look at the pictures.

1 Like

Re: 1.8m Lagosians Travel By Water Monthly – LASWA by Omogbhollahorn(m): 1:24pm On Sep 28, 2013
desgiezd: The waterways are a way of getting to one's destination faster but the charges by the boat operators are too exploitative. The government needs to speedily complete its ferries and put them to use quickly so that more people will travel across the waterways at more affordable rates.

i think say na only me they pay am too o that fair is bleeping expensive
Re: 1.8m Lagosians Travel By Water Monthly – LASWA by Peachlane: 1:27pm On Sep 28, 2013
Have they started moving goods?
Re: 1.8m Lagosians Travel By Water Monthly – LASWA by Randerl: 2:31pm On Sep 28, 2013
Yhes the next is the mono rail project.

TribalEAST: SW again? angry
Re: 1.8m Lagosians Travel By Water Monthly – LASWA by Brimmie(m): 2:37pm On Sep 28, 2013
Nice!! South West Kole Ever Baje! cheesy cheesy
Re: 1.8m Lagosians Travel By Water Monthly – LASWA by Brimmie(m): 2:38pm On Sep 28, 2013
Randerl: Yhes. Jhump in front of the next on coming truck.

He was being sarcastic!! Omo Odua Ni!
Re: 1.8m Lagosians Travel By Water Monthly – LASWA by Randerl: 2:45pm On Sep 28, 2013
è joo, e ma binu.mo robi pe omo ila oorun ni.

Brimmie:

He was being sarcastic!! Omo Odua Ni!
Re: 1.8m Lagosians Travel By Water Monthly – LASWA by madamoringo(f): 2:57pm On Sep 28, 2013
Cold blooded: I know water transport is costly cos I experienced it during my NYSC.Good Development.

Are you blind or ignorant? Do you think every passenger is supposed to bring his own on board? grin grin grin
Re: 1.8m Lagosians Travel By Water Monthly – LASWA by TheMan3: 5:52pm On Sep 28, 2013
ifyalways: na lie oh
Obalende to Ikorodu is less than 200N.my staff plies that route daily.
I dont know were u got that figure from, I regularly ply that route by boat, ebuteru cms jetty to ikorodu is 500. Adax jetty VI to ikorodu is 600.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Breaking News..jimi Agbaje Defeated Ambode In Lagos Governorship Election Debate / EXCLUSIVE: Adamu Muazu Bundled Out Of PDP Governors’ Meeting / The Black Jihad Flag Of The Kano Emirate

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.