Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,749 members, 7,817,071 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 03:00 AM

New Documentary Film To Celebrate Baba sala - TV/Movies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / New Documentary Film To Celebrate Baba sala (560 Views)

Beverly Osu Strips To Celebrate Task Victory On Big Brother Africa / Welcome To The 2013 I-represent Documentary Film Festival From March 21-24 / 9ja Documentary Film Shown at Al Jazeera Film Festival (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

New Documentary Film To Celebrate Baba sala by omolomolarinero: 9:18am On Sep 28, 2013
http://whatsupibadan.com/2013/09/27/new-documentary-film-to-celebrate-baba-sala/

A new film, which aims at celebrating the life and works of seasoned comedian and actor, Moses Olaiya, aka Baba Sala, is in the pipeline, writes CHUX OHAI

Ace comedian and actor, Moses  Olaiya, aka Baba Sala, is one man that many Nigerians will not forget in a hurry. At the peak of career, he was so popular that even  the  late Chief Obafemi Awolowo had to skip his schedule to meet him.

Baba Sala was awarded the Member of the Order of Niger in appreciation of his enormous contributions to the development of the entertainment industry in the country.

Now in his late 70s, one would have expected the man, who was once described as the founder of modern Nigerian comedy, to retire quietly. But our correspondent gathered that he spends his time shuttling between Ilesha, his hometown, and Ibadan or travelling to the United States and United Kingdom on business trips.

Although Baba Sala runs a branch of the Cherubim and Seraphim Church in Ilesha, his numerous fans may not have seen the last of him on the lighted screen yet. Three years ago, he played the lead role in a movie produced in Yoruba language by one of his sons, Olanrewaju Adejumo. Titled Jaiye Ku, the movie was released and premiered in Lagos in the same year.

Before then, in 2009, Baba Sala was among five Nigerians who were honoured during a special edition of Who wants to be a millionaire?, the popular TV game show sponsored by MTN, for their positive impact towards the development of the country.  He was rewarded with N1m.

Read More

In an interview with our correspondent on Monday, Olanrewaju says that, contrary to expectations, his father did not invest the cash prize on any business venture.

“As soon as he received the money, he invited all his children and other relatives and shared the money among them. My father is like that. He believes in sharing,” he says, adding that it was a demonstration of his father’s fabled generosity.

Lanre, as he is fondly called by his friends and relations, is one of the few among the ace comedian’s 51 children that have followed his footsteps by embracing the arts and entertainment. The others are Emmanuel, who is a member of the National Troupe of Nigeria; Abiodun, who works with the Broadcasting Corporation of Oyo State; Muyiwa, the manager of Baba Sala Entertainment; and Oyindamola, an actress and g0spel singer.

Lanre is currently working on a documentary film on the life and works of Baba Sala. The film is aimed at preserving the legacy of the man whose career as an actor, comedian, singer and musician has significantly impacted on the society.

“My father has not been celebrated enough. I think he deserves it, especially at this point in his life. Apart from being a very generous man, he has directly contributed to the success of many people. I have decided to shoot this documentary myself. It is the only way I can honour him and preserve his legacy. There is no point waiting till he departs this world before celebrating him. I want Nigerians to appreciate his contributions to the entertainment industry in this country,” he says.

The work-in-progress is the product of a joint effort between Lanre and White Dove Entertainment.

In February, Mnet requested and got the rights to run Lanre’s Jaiye Ku on its Africa Magic movie channel. But the producer claims that though he was paid a substantial sum of money, he has not seen the film on Africa Magic.

“When I asked why, I was told that the movie was being packaged for the next Muslim Ileya Festival,” Lanre says.

Also not long ago, Lanre signed another deal with Mnet to produce 13 episodes of a new TV comedy titled Mr. Patois that will hit the airwaves soon.

“We are already on location in Lagos. Some of the scenes will be shot at the popular Shoprite shopping mall on Victoria Island,” he says, describing it as a production that will eventually re-define the concept of television comedy.

(1) (Reply)

Fela's Song On Jimmy Kimmel Live / Amazing Talents In Nigeria Got Talent At Lagos Audition.imagine 9yrs Old Drummer / The Molues Revolt - Thriller By 3d Motion Pics Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.