Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,366 members, 7,815,784 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 06:18 PM

Who Runs The Lagos Economy? - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Who Runs The Lagos Economy? (6092 Views)

Igbos And Lagos Economy / Lagos Economy Rated Above Ghana, UK - Fashola / Africa's New Biggest City Is Lagos - & Economy To Outweigh Johannesburg By 2015 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Who Runs The Lagos Economy? by cashkid18(m): 11:44pm On Oct 17, 2013
i had a bad dream n i can nt slip again..plz i nid an advice to mak me go bak to sleep
Re: Who Runs The Lagos Economy? by Nobody: 11:47pm On Oct 17, 2013
Who told you that the UBA heads are Ika?

And what makes you think that Jim Ovia or Nduka Obiagena don't Identify as Igbo? grin

Have you met them to know this for a fact? cheesy

mugumugu:

With internet and online news outlet, newspapers have become redundant.
I take it that ika people are ibo in ur head? figment of your imagination.
If not you won't include zenith and UBA in ur list.
Hakeem Bello Osagie would soon be ibo with this people encroachment.
the people don't want to be ibo and they don't claim ibo.

Same for nduka obaigbena and thisday.

List ibo owned companies with people from ebonyi, anambra, Enugu, imo and abia.
is that too hard to ask for?
kaish.
Re: Who Runs The Lagos Economy? by ifyalways(f): 11:48pm On Oct 17, 2013
nnenna.1:

The starter of this thread is a Yoruba trying to undermine Igbo contribution to Lagos.

Not that I disagree with you...I'd rather Igbo investments be situated in the East rather than be in a place where they are apparently unappreciated or undermined (going by the purpose of this thread).
We can ignore them trolls,yes?
Let them ccook and feast alone. They'll get bored when no one attends their sour party. wink

Odunharry,You want some amala and ewedu? abi na the triplet wey i wan give Musiwa dey trip you?
Thou shalt not covet the Oba's Olori. cheesy

1 Like

Re: Who Runs The Lagos Economy? by Nobody: 11:54pm On Oct 17, 2013
nnenna.1:
Who told you that the UBA heads are Ika?

And what makes you think that Jim Ovia or Nduka Obiagena don't Identify as Igbo? grin

Have you met them to know this for a fact? cheesy

Do you see them running around with ibo.
u just like claiming people who don't claim u.

Ika and Ndokwa is less than 2million strong and it nigerdelta.
why not tell us about the "ownership" of the 30+ million strong ibo from Enugu, imo, abia, anambra and ebonyi?
Re: Who Runs The Lagos Economy? by Nobody: 11:58pm On Oct 17, 2013
What if I said yes, based on my own personal knowledge?

Well let me end it here. cheesy

mugumugu:

why not tell us about the "ownership" of the 30+ million strong ibo from Enugu, imo, abia, anambra and ebonyi?
Re: Who Runs The Lagos Economy? by Nobody: 12:00am On Oct 18, 2013
nnenna.1:
What if I said yes, based on my own personal knowledge?

Well let me end it here. cheesy

they don't want to be ibo.
only Oshimili is ibo.
Re: Who Runs The Lagos Economy? by Nobody: 12:01am On Oct 18, 2013
By the way the other banks, multinationals, oil and gas companies, pharmaceuticals, and health and media companies I listed mean nothing?

Wow wow wow.

*exits*

mugumugu:

Re: Who Runs The Lagos Economy? by neversaynever(m): 1:04am On Oct 18, 2013
Wow, another "na we get lagos" by igbos. I'm just suprised that in this age some people still term a city in Nigeria as "no man's land". Shior, at least let lagos produce an igbo local government chairman or better still igbo governor, then we'll know what's up.
Re: Who Runs The Lagos Economy? by IGBOSON1: 1:33am On Oct 18, 2013
never_say_never: Wow, another "na we get lagos" by igbos. I'm just suprised that in this age some people still term a city in Nigeria as "no man's land". Shior, at least let lagos produce an igbo local government chairman or better still igbo governor, then we'll know what's up.

^^^Learn to shut up when you have nothing to say! Direct your angst at the bigot that opened the thread!

If Igbos were to start getting actively involved in the 'local' politics of Lagos (like the Hausa/Fulani are doing in Plateau state), you'd be the first to complain and say 'these 'Igbos' sef and their expansionist tendencies'!

2 Likes

Re: Who Runs The Lagos Economy? by neversaynever(m): 2:40am On Oct 18, 2013
IGBO-SON:

^^^Learn to shut up when you have nothing to say! Direct your angst at the bigot that opened the thread!

If Igbos were to start getting actively involved in the 'local' politics of Lagos (like the Hausa/Fulani are doing in Plateau state), you'd be the first to complain and say 'these 'Igbos' sef and their expansionist tendencies'!

And you learn to criticize constructively. We both know what the OP was aiming at by creating this thread. My point is: No place in today's Nigeria is 'no man's land'.
Re: Who Runs The Lagos Economy? by cjrane: 4:49am On Oct 18, 2013
TribalEAST: Over the years, i've heard southeasterners claim that they run the economy in lagos and that if they should pull out of the state the economy will collapse in no time. To buttress their claim, they field markets like ladipo, aspamda, alaba international etc.

An economy consists of three sectors: the primary, secondary and tertiary sectors. The above markets fall in the primary sector category, which is also shared by other tribes in nigeria. Multinationals like Lever bros, smithkline beecham, nestle, cardbury's, manufacturing industries, banks, shopping malls, telecommunications, media(TV, Newspapers, radio, internet) etc all fall in the secondary sector while the tertiary sector is controlled by the government of the state which provides a larger part of transportation, education, security, import and export, tax, agricultural etc.

A well reasoning nigerian would know that without a state government with good governance, the secondary sector wont deam such a state fit to invest in and without the secondary sector (a sector that employs majority of graduates and attracts people to a particular location) the primary sector would hardly exist or thrive to survive leaving people to find such a state to be with less opportunity, a good reason why people migrate to greener pastures.

Sentiments apart...eko o ni baje o!

That was really funny!

1 Like

Re: Who Runs The Lagos Economy? by DuduNegro: 5:40am On Oct 18, 2013
Ikengawo: i find it funny that most non igbo believe most igbo are traders because they see so many. traders = young poor igbo men. In other tribes this class of people are agberos, beggars, and thieves. Every company and sector you've listed is packed with ndigbo + the ones they themselves own and have started.

Igbos like to throw spaghetti on the wall and see if it sticks.

Ikengawo and nenna are throwing non sticky spaghettis right now.

Do you know what it means to own the controlling shares of a multi-national?

The controlling shares of all the multinationals named up there are owned by Yorubas. Thank God for Baba Awo. Back when Ikeja, Ilupeju, Agege, Oshodi were all under the Western Government, Baba had sealed the future for Yorubas...........we see it also in Oodua Corp, WEMA, Cocoa House and many other businesses incorporated to move Yoruba forward.

Do you imagine Unilever ever closing business in Nigeria, or Nestle or Guinness?

Yorubas work smart and we make our money even smarter.

2 Likes

Re: Who Runs The Lagos Economy? by Kingspin(m): 8:27am On Oct 18, 2013
Why Nigeria is using one seaport and by the way which Nigerian is more business minded.
To make things worse, the
freight charged for using the
eastern ports was hiked.
Stakeholders who spoke to
Vanguard in Port Harcourt
recently alleged that these measures were deliberate
because the Government
wanted to give undue
advantage to the western
ports. Operator’s perspective: The Managing Director of Ports &
Terminal Operators (Nigeria)
Limited, the concessionaire to
the premier seaport in Port-
Harcourt, Mrs Lizzie Ovbude
enumerated some of the constraints the concessionaires
are grappling with. She said, “I
know that when NPA was still
the master sea dock, to
improve traffic in the eastern
flank, NPA had to give about 30 percent discount. That was
some years back, before the
concessioning. They gave about 30 percent
discount to vessels that are
willing to come to the eastern
ports. That was a kind of
encouragement to enable
vessels to come to this part of the country. But after the
concessioning, there has been
no such encouragement.” She alleged that there is a
conspiracy by ship owners to
stifle the operations of the
ports in Port-Harcourt.
Re: Who Runs The Lagos Economy? by Kingspin(m): 9:01am On Oct 18, 2013

kaish.
Whether your hatred for the igbos is hereditary or inborn you better allow your soul to rest in peace. An average igbo man and women is a business minded person and strongly they are self made people who struggle on their own individually. They dnt need multi companies esp the ones owned by foreigners what drives economy of any country is sole proprietorship business. And for your information the igbos dnt believe in one man squad or richest man in the economy. So when you talk about business generally in Nigeria igbos first and the rest. Remeber the popular say that every 5 Nigerian you meet in any business activities 3 is an igbo man. Neither would i resign like NPC boss, Festus.

2 Likes

Re: Who Runs The Lagos Economy? by Nobody: 10:08am On Oct 18, 2013
dayokanu: What Dangote companies alone contribute to the economy of Lagos is more than what any Ibo headed company contribute

And We havent heard hausas own lagos or Hausa claim Lagos is No mans land
This should be post of the year. When do we hear hausas screaming that they own Lagos or control its affairs? And their investments run into trillions. I mean what the fcck is wrong with these akpu people?
No class, no culture, no civility. Just joro jaara jo. Ah ah, wetin sef!

1 Like

Re: Who Runs The Lagos Economy? by Nobody: 10:11am On Oct 18, 2013
fresh_dude: This should be post of the year. When do we hear hausas screaming that they own Lagos or control its affairs? And their investments run into trillions. I mean what the fcck is wrong with these akpu people?
No class, no culture, no civility. Just joro jaara jo. Ah ah, wetin sef!

Truth is people that knows Lagos hardly take them serious for a second....it's in their DNA to act that way.....humility is not wired in them.

Abdul Samad Rabiu, Aliko Dangote and Gen TY Danjuma investments in Lagos far out weight the combined Ibo investment in the whole of SW.

You never see their people making noise that they own Lagos nor show about the extent of their investments in Lagos.

I don't bother about them....just laugh off their naïveté and stupidity at the same time.

2 Likes

Re: Who Runs The Lagos Economy? by igbeke: 11:16am On Oct 18, 2013
Randerl: grin to awon bros dey 4d bottom of d ladder for the economy. Ordinary traders.
U are d stup!d one here for bn tribalistic.
believe it or not, an igbo man is d best thing to ever happen to nigeria.
they are traders, yes; but with open mindedness unlike some others. But who told u dey are only traders? if u dont know, today in Nigeria;
* dey are d most educated
* dey are d most creative
* do we hav any tecnology of our own in nigeria? if der is, den an igbo man is d brain behind it.
* in sports, dey are d most achieved for nigeria.
* in entertainment, dey are just up there.
we used to hear of NAFDAC in d news every now and den. but wat sudenly happened to it after Madam Dora Akuyili left?
wat abt our apex bank, it has been merry-go-rounding since sanusi took over from Prof Soludo.
Hav u ever heard of madam Oby Ezekwesili? go and read d profile of our Minister of ministers, the minister of finance.
d list cud go on and on.
tell dat person who has achived more dan dese heros and heroines.
This is not meant to undermind d contributions of other tribes.
@ d topic, no one in his right sense can underestimate d contribution of d Igbos to d economy of Lagos state and d country at large. Whether we admit it or not, even Lsgos state govt do away wit igbo's contribution
One more thing, I am not an Igbo, so no one shud "criticize" me unduly.

2 Likes

Re: Who Runs The Lagos Economy? by Nobody: 11:23am On Oct 18, 2013
^^^@Igbeke is a liar. Confirm ibo man
Re: Who Runs The Lagos Economy? by Kingspin(m): 11:27am On Oct 18, 2013
ilugunboy:

Truth is people that knows Lagos hardly take them serious for a second....it's in their DNA to act that way.....humility is not wired in them.

Abdul Samad Rabiu, Aliko Dangote and Gen TY Danjuma investments in Lagos far out weight the combined Ibo investment in the whole of SW.

You never see their people making noise that they own Lagos nor show about the extent of their investments in Lagos.

I don't bother about them....just laugh off their naïveté and stupidity at the same time.
The igbos dnt have any superpowers or superhumans but collective men and women that are hardworking. Even though some of them you mentiond were politically made rich. Most of them touched oil, stole, passed and made it through the oil. Who are the owners of these oil blocks? Is a question cos 40yrs in power gave them the advantage and thats has been the injustices done to the oil states especially after the war. A policy of the winner takes it all which is gradually changing hand after 40yrs and they're not happy and are busy today fighting to retain injustice.They should have use their brain though like Bill Gates and the richest man in SouthAfrica who is into financial business to be mighty richer. Mind you it small business aka sole proprietorship businesses that turn around of any nation's economy. And assignment pls go and ask your economics teacher first, becos I dnt believe in monopoly. So take it easy the money is not yours or mine by the way. Note: We want an economy were so many winners would emerge at the end.

1 Like

Re: Who Runs The Lagos Economy? by igbeke: 11:37am On Oct 18, 2013
Segeggs: ^^^@Igbeke is a liar. Confirm ibo man
if u must kno, I am SS.
is dat settled?
so can u prove my claims wrong concerning d Igbos?
Re: Who Runs The Lagos Economy? by Nobody: 11:55am On Oct 18, 2013
Kingspin:
The igbos dnt have any superpowers or superhumans but collective men and women that are hardworking. Even though some of them you mentiond were politically made rich. Most of them touched oil, stole, passed and made it through the oil. Who are the owners of these oil blocks? Is a question cos 40yrs in power gave them the advantage and thats has been the injustices done to the oil states especially after the war. A policy of the winner takes it all which is gradually changing hand after 40yrs and they're not happy and fighting to retain injustice.They should have use their brain though like Bill Gates and the richest man in SouthAfrica who is into financial business to be mighty richer. Mind you it small business aka sole proprietorship businesses that turn around of any nation's economy. And assignment pls go and ask your economics teacher first, becos I dnt believe in monopoly. So take it easy the money is not yours or mine by the way. Note: We want an economy were so many winners would emerge at the end.

You missed the point entirely .....I am not questioning how they made their money. My point is with all the riches of these men from other parts of Nigeria but have made Lagos home, how come they are not shouting on the roof top about how they are the one controlling the economy of Lagos or that Lagos is a no man land.

Am sure their stakes in Lagos should ordinarily put them in good stead to boast far more than Ibos if there should be any reason whatsoever to do such.

Moral of my story. The Ibos in Lagos should be humble like other people that have been making Lagos a city that never sleep.
Re: Who Runs The Lagos Economy? by Nobody: 12:05pm On Oct 18, 2013
igbeke:
if u must kno, I am SS.
is dat settled?
so can u prove my claims wrong concerning d Igbos?
the op and several people on this thread have proved it wrong already.
Re: Who Runs The Lagos Economy? by Nobody: 12:10pm On Oct 18, 2013
ilugunboy:

You missed the point entirely .....I am not questioning how they made their money. My point is with all the riches of these men from other parts of Nigeria but have made Lagos home, how come they are not shouting on the roof top about how they are the one controlling the economy of Lagos or that Lagos is a no man land.

Am sure their stakes in Lagos should ordinarily put them in good stead to boast far more than Ibos if there should be any reason whatsoever to do such.

Moral of my story. The Ibos in Lagos should be humble like other people that have been making Lagos a city that never sleep.
They aren't exactly a logical lot. Watch him come back and prove you wrong on an idea you never even broached. They are experts at strawman arguments, the lot.
Re: Who Runs The Lagos Economy? by Odunharry(m): 12:18pm On Oct 18, 2013
ifyalways: We can ignore them trolls,yes?
Let them ccook and feast alone. They'll get bored when no one attends their sour party. wink

Odunharry,You want some amala and ewedu? abi na the triplet wey i wan give Musiwa dey trip you?
Thou shalt not covet the Oba's Olori. cheesy
im d Oba...d Areonakankanfo
Re: Who Runs The Lagos Economy? by kettykin: 11:16am On Jan 05, 2014

kaish.

Is chukwuma Nzeogwu Ika or Igbo

2 Likes

Re: Who Runs The Lagos Economy? by BishopJuice: 11:21am On Jan 05, 2014
TribalEAST: Over the years, i've heard southeasterners claim that they run the economy in lagos and that if they should pull out of the state the economy will collapse in no time. To buttress their claim, they field markets like ladipo, aspamda, alaba international etc.

An economy consists of three sectors: the primary, secondary and tertiary sectors. The above markets fall in the primary sector category, which is also shared by other tribes in nigeria. Multinationals like Lever bros, smithkline beecham, nestle, cardbury's, manufacturing industries, banks, shopping malls, telecommunications, media(TV, Newspapers, radio, internet) etc all fall in the secondary sector while the tertiary sector is controlled by the government of the state which provides a larger part of transportation, education, security, import and export, tax, agricultural etc.

A well reasoning nigerian would know that without a state government with good governance, the secondary sector wont deam such a state fit to invest in and without the secondary sector (a sector that employs majority of graduates and attracts people to a particular location) the primary sector would hardly exist or thrive to survive leaving people to find such a state to be with less opportunity, a good reason why people migrate to greener pastures.

Sentiments apart...eko o ni baje o!

Theifnibu obviously!

Since he owns virtually all of Lagos

1 Like

Re: Who Runs The Lagos Economy? by macjive01: 6:22pm On Jan 05, 2014
[size=18pt]IBAKA DEEPWATER SEAPORT [/size]
Re: Who Runs The Lagos Economy? by Nobody: 7:04pm On Jan 05, 2014
macjive01: [size=18pt]IBAKA DEEPWATER SEAPORT [/size]
pipe dream
Re: Who Runs The Lagos Economy? by Afanna1: 7:06pm On Jan 05, 2014
Nollywood contribute a lot to nigeria GDP,we all know nollywood is run by Igbos. Auto business ,Electronics and anything buy and sell in Nigeria is mostly run by igbos.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Who Runs The Lagos Economy? by Nobody: 7:13pm On Jan 05, 2014
#Afanna:
Nollywood contribute a lot to nigeria GDP,we all know nollywood is run by Igbos. Auto business ,Electronics and anything buy and sell in Nigeria is mostly run by igbos.
another dreamer. With samsung, lg, sony etc all opening their outlets in nigeria likewise mega malls, do you think anyone would want to patronise your fake products anymore?

An igbo man sells sonNY instead of SONy.
Re: Who Runs The Lagos Economy? by Nobody: 7:20pm On Jan 05, 2014
Unrepentant and ret@ded bigot.
You went to school because your mom use to work as a cleaner and domestic washer to those Igbos.
Swear that your dad didnt work as a gateman and driver to any of those roadside Igbos.
The evil they did to you was by employing your parents so that you will be useful in life,dont hate brother its nobody's fault that the Igbos chose to be traders while your uncles chose to be extortionists via alayes and agberos.
When thier containers land your cousins will become jobbers and offloaders yet they have stayed in the same environment for a very long time and never find it wise to set up a business of similar nature.
Wise up,tell your folks that there is no future in living off Igbo traders peanuts and egunjes.
You people owns the land,why cant it feed you people,strangers,visitors are coming from far and near within few years they are already successful but your folks will chose to man all the entrance and exits of Alaba,Ladipo,Apapa,ASPAMDA,Mandilas,Otigba etc doing what ''extorting N5,N10,N20,N50" from every container that passed through thier ways.They dont even eat the crumbs that fall off the traders table because an importer made N5m and gave you N120 as gatefee,your greeting like you havnt seen money in your life,after 2weeks your still greeting for a token of N120 from someone that made N5m from a single transaction.....my brother Devil is dancing Skelewu with your destiny.
Wake up and smell the coffe,your people are just lazy, gullible and myopic...believe it or dont.
NB;Not an abuse but an advice,complements of the season

2 Likes

Re: Who Runs The Lagos Economy? by macjive01: 8:32pm On Jan 05, 2014
macjive01: [size=18pt]IBAKA DEEPWATER SEAPORT [/size]

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

The Missing $20billion Dollars / Tabansi Udene - Son Of A Popular Late Igwe Leads Biafrans In Protest(pic) / Check Out Difference Between Nigeria And Rwanda Currency (pictures)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.