Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,745 members, 7,820,570 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 05:19 PM

Benefits Of ASUU Strike To State Universities - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Benefits Of ASUU Strike To State Universities (3231 Views)

State Universities With The Best Infrastructures And Facilities- Pictures / Uniben Pulls Out Of ASUU Strike / Universities Pull Out Of ASUU Strike 2013 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Benefits Of ASUU Strike To State Universities by desertboom(m): 8:00pm On Sep 28, 2013
Happy sunday to all Nairalanders.

I studied in one of Nigeria state Universities, I know what is obtainable in many State Universities;
State Universities across the country are;
Poorly funded
Poor salary structure to both Academics and Non-Academic staffs
Poor Infrastructure, eg class room, lab etc.

I also know that many Federal Universities are lacking these aforementioned things.

The only benefits State Universities enjoy from the federal is;
ETF Intervention projects
NDDC Intervention projects (only in Niger Delta states)

Please, if you know of any other benefits kindly add to the list.

Thus, my question; why must State Universities join ASUU strike? Please, I ask again why must State Universities join ASUU strike?

Will State Universities benefit from the huge amount ASUU are fighting for?
If all ASUU demands are met, will ASUU extend the generosity to its State Universities counterpart?
Will the State Universities witness Federal Government presence?

Please, can a knowledgeable person enlighten me?

During my second year in the University the entire South-Eastern State Universities were shut down for more than 6 months because of poor funding from the state Governors and till today nothing much has been done.

My question remains; why must State Universities join ASUU on strike? What does State Universities stand to gain?
Is it because it is tag ''University'' thereby compelling them to join?

What does State Universities stand to gain? Since most of the funding comes from the state Government.

Someone has got to enlighten me.
Thanks as I await replies. . .

3 Likes

Re: Benefits Of ASUU Strike To State Universities by keyke(f): 10:22pm On Sep 28, 2013
it has been bafflin me 4 long naw, i rili wan 2 knw o
Re: Benefits Of ASUU Strike To State Universities by Sirkris(m): 7:31am On Sep 29, 2013
apart from ETF, they gain nothing. when for instance, a state university lecturers are agitating for increased wages, will these federal university join? the answer is no. the reason is because all state have different allocation from federation account and there internal generated revenues varies according to the resources they have, so we can expect national ASUU to join in agitating for unilateral allowance for states university. if you ask the state university lecturers, they will tell you it's sympathy strike.
Re: Benefits Of ASUU Strike To State Universities by sapientia1(m): 7:43am On Sep 29, 2013
They surely receive part of the payments, state universities r state owned but that doesn't mean they aren't Nigerian own, recently, Benue state governor G.Suswan said Benue state university received 950million as part of the 100billion FG gave to ASUU months ago, n he urged the school authorities to resume ASAP. In state universities, they've also got ASUU members in every chapter, e.g AAUA, OOU etc....in my own opinion, the can share out of the money bt they can also pull out if the state govt mounts pressure on them
Re: Benefits Of ASUU Strike To State Universities by 01mcfadden(m): 7:47am On Sep 29, 2013
I heard Aaua received 1.02billion out of the 100billion federal government released.
Re: Benefits Of ASUU Strike To State Universities by destino24(m): 7:59am On Sep 29, 2013
Re: Benefits Of ASUU Strike To State Universities by desertboom(m): 12:52pm On Sep 29, 2013
sapientia1: They surely receive part of the payments, state universities r state owned but that doesn't mean they aren't Nigerian own, recently, Benue state governor G.Suswan said Benue state university received 950million as part of the 100billion FG gave to ASUU months ago, n he urged the school authorities to resume ASAP. In state universities, they've also got ASUU members in every chapter, e.g AAUA, OOU etc....in my own opinion, the can share out of the money bt they can also pull out if the state govt mounts pressure on them
950 million is close to a Billion Naira. Does the same reflect in all State Universities? I ask because some state universities are like shanty
Re: Benefits Of ASUU Strike To State Universities by ibkonis(m): 7:52am On Sep 30, 2013
The President says he does not control the resources of the states and wondered why lecturers in state universities are on strike over a matter that has to do with the centre.ASUU should consider the sincerity in government and realise his government is not ready to close down other departments of government in other to solve the problems overnight.
Jonathan alleges that some of the government officials that negotiated 2009 agreement with ASUU were not competent and asks for a holistic resolution of the problem in the universities.The president says there are certain things in the 2009 agreement with ASUU that are difficult to implement. “This particular issue is beyond the 2009 agreement.”Jonathan alleges that politics has crept into ASUU’s strike and demands.
We can’t change the problems in the university overnight. We are using funds from other agencies to intervene in the problems in the tertiary institutions. Government is taking inventories in the universities, photographs and video clips. He says his administration is first to do that.ASUU strike is very unfortunate, Jonathan says of the ongoing strike. He says his administration has set up a technical committee to audit the situation in the universities

(1) (Reply)

See The List Of Top 10 Best Universitites In Nigeria 2015 / Photos Of Different Ways Students Indulge In Examination Malpractices / List Of Documents You Need For Any School Registration.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.