Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,316 members, 7,815,577 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 02:46 PM

Blackberry : The Final Fall - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Blackberry : The Final Fall (2832 Views)

Whatsapp Is Giving Blackberry The Final Death Punch / Could This Be The Final Design Of Apple "Iphone 6"? / Will BBM For Android & IOS Be The Final End Of Blackberry In Nigeria?? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Blackberry : The Final Fall by iker: 12:05am On Sep 29, 2013
It seems BlackBerry has finally admitted defeat and given up on the race by selling their shares to Fairfax Financial Holding. A shock to some, and a predictable outcome for others, it was obvious that BlackBerry was heading on a one way road to economic hell. But what truly brought about this eventual decay that forced BlackBerry to forfeit and sell off to Fairfax Financial Holding for $4.7 billion? Various small aspects and some fatal miscalculations, to be precise. Let's have a look!
Disheartening Operating System

Before we kick anything off, let's make one thing clear; as much as we depend on the hardware for a smartphone to work efficiently, it is far more necessary to have an operating system in place that acts as a central nervous centre, allowing every hardware component to communicate with each other and give us a satisfied user experience. Nokia with its ever-faithful Symbian OS ran their fleet of mobile phones for years without any hassle. Apple's iOS did the same for its iPhone and Google's Android too mastered it after few upgrades.

While every biggie out there was busy polishing their creation, BlackBerry were leisurely blinding their operating system from any technical advancement and innovation, citing it wasn't necessary to fix something that wasn't broken. They had no idea how horribly mistaken they were. Android and iOS finally exploded in the market and soon gobbled BlackBerry's market share which soon dropped down to a measly 3%. A major upgrade was needed and BlackBerry introduced the BB 10 to the masses. Unfortunately, they were a little too late for the party as Android and iOS had the cake, and ate it too.

Equally Disheartening Hardware

While Samsung and Apple were locking horns to one-up each other in terms of their technical prowess, launching one heavy-weight (actually quite thin on the contrary) device after another to show how much of 'technology' they could cram on your palm, BlackBerry was being the Paris Hilton for press and randomly popping out at every social outing and giving a glimpse of hopeful talent before getting drunk and passing out in public. Yes, that clunky soapbox you held in the name of a mobile phone is what BlackBerry was known to produce. Barely capable of withstanding it's surrounding and having an affinity to conk off at the worst of times; BlackBerry's handsets were known to spread irrational fears among its users. This too, was followed by a rectification when BlackBerry finally launched a noteworthy smartphone in the form of BlackBerry Z10. It was smart in all the right sense and complimented the all new operating system, the BlackBerry 10 perfectly well. It also showed BlackBerry in new light, when they finally shed the typical QWERTY keypad design for a full-touch interface. We thought BlackBerry had finally arrived. We were horribly wrong, again.

The Downright Mortifying Pricing

BlackBerry were always known to flaunt a hefty price tag for their handsets. For the outdated hardware and software that came bundled, the prices were outrageous, and yet people stuck back, all for the sake of having a secure communication line for mailing and instant messaging. Even with dwindling sales figures and migrating clientele, BlackBerry stuck to their pricing, and did the same for their torchbearer, the BlackBerry Z10. A phone that had all the potential to take things forward for BlackBerry, the Z10 was priced at an absurdly high rate of Rs. 42,000/-! Taking the hardware and price into consideration, a customer could get the all-powerful Samsung Galaxy S4 in the same price that was equipped with more firepower and housed Android as an OS.

Poor pricing proved to be one of the vital elements that lead to their eventual downfall. The Z10 was the perfect example, and rather than rectifying it, BlackBerry found itself launching two more smartphones, the Q5 and the Q10. Both handsets based on its signature QWERTY layout, the phones were meant to be BlackBerry's second grace, and yet again, the poor pricing led it another wave of failure sweeping them off.

The Last Straw

There was still hope for Blackberry to make amends and cash in on its final card, its prized possession, the BlackBerry Messenger, or the BBM. A secured means to contact anyone in the world after acquiring their PIN number, BBM soon became a rage internationally with teenagers purchasing BlackBerry for the sole reason of using the instant messaging service. BlackBerry's safest bet, the BBM finally found its worthy match in the form of instant messaging apps like WhatsApp, etc. that could be hosted for free on any operating system, and connected via the internet seamlessly. BlackBerry should have had an intuition of the Instant messaging enigma, and should have launched BBM for Android and iOS few years ago and cemented their feet in the market, and yet they failed at doing so. This proved to be the final straw in the fight and finally BlackBerry backed down and admitted defeat.

There could have been various saving graces for BlackBerry; the right upgrade at the right time, lower pricing, introduction of BBM for Android and iPhone among various other things. BlackBerry failed, and so did its legacy for being one of the top contenders in the smartphone market.

http://www.mensxp.com/technology/smart-phones/20502-blackberry-the-final-fall.html

Re: Blackberry : The Final Fall by flawless911(m): 7:14am On Sep 29, 2013
Nice Write Up OP... But from this writeup, people preferred samsung because u could get more value for your money than if u bought a Z10... Well, Tecno Phantom A+ gives u same value as a Samsung Galaxy S4 but at a lesser price-tag.. So y do people hate Tecno?? Well, i guess that shows that most Nigerians prefer companies that ignores them (Blackberry,Samsung) and inflates their prices to a company that actually focuses on them (Tecno)... I know that this article is not based on the Nigerian market cos Bread'n'Beans Blackberry was still selling strongly here, so i guess these overhyped companies don't even take y'all into consideration.. So keep hyping your Sammy/Lumia/BreadnBeans while i flex my Tecno L3

Tho' dis is y i kinda like those Xperia/HTC boys.. Dem no dey hype dia products.. Unlike these hustlas that use Asha fones to type rubbish claiming Galaxy S2 (Dem no born dem well to say S4) is beta dan A+.. Imagine, how can a dualcore(S2) b better dan a quadcore(A+)

iRepTeamTecno

We Came, We Saw n now We're taking HOSTAGES (BB Down, Nokia Down).. If e pain u too much, go your backyard go open phone company

Peace cool
Re: Blackberry : The Final Fall by timpaker(m): 7:42am On Sep 29, 2013
Its just do sad. Few years ago BB was a phone almost every body wanna have. I also remember when Obama wanted to get a BB and it was debated by legislators. The phone was a big deal especially in Nigeria. But they never followed the market demand. The Q10 and Q5 should have been released few years ago
Imagine BB just releasing a phone with front (dual) camera for video calling or Skyping and Instagram in 2013
Re: Blackberry : The Final Fall by Ziggyzito(m): 9:50am On Sep 29, 2013
flawless911: Nice Write Up OP... But from this writeup, people preferred samsung because u could get more value for your money than if u bought a Z10... Well, Tecno Phantom A+ gives u same value as a Samsung Galaxy S4 but at a lesser price-tag.. So y do people hate Tecno?? Well, i guess that shows that most Nigerians prefer companies that ignores them (Blackberry,Samsung) and inflates their prices to a company that actually focuses on them (Tecno)... I know that this article is not based on the Nigerian market cos Bread'n'Beans Blackberry was still selling strongly here, so i guess these overhyped companies don't even take y'all into consideration.. So keep hyping your Sammy/Lumia/BreadnBeans while i flex my Tecno L3

Tho' dis is y i kinda like those Xperia/HTC boys.. Dem no dey hype dia products.. Unlike these hustlas that use Asha fones to type rubbish claiming Galaxy S2 (Dem no born dem well to say S4) is beta dan A+.. Imagine, how can a dualcore(S2) b better dan a quadcore(A+)

iRepTeamTecno

We Came, We Saw n now We're taking HOSTAGES (BB Down, Nokia Down).. If e pain u too much, go your backyard go open phone company

Peace cool
its a taboo to compare a TeCHNO phone with a samsung product... Talkless of the s4... when your A+ starts doing the air gestures, eye tracking , etc you reply... and besides.. does your Techno have a 2nd hand value?

2 Likes

Re: Blackberry : The Final Fall by Nobody: 9:58am On Sep 29, 2013
Could nt read it. Blackberry topics are becoming boring
Re: Blackberry : The Final Fall by flawless911(m): 10:29pm On Sep 29, 2013
Ziggyzito: its a taboo to compare a TeCHNO phone with a samsung product... Talkless of the s4... when your A+ starts doing the air gestures, eye tracking , etc you reply... and besides.. does your Techno have a 2nd hand value?
My Tecno L3 does dat u uninformed little one, talkless of its bigbrothers d Tecno Phantoms.. Do your research n get ur facts straight b4 quotin me kk?? SmH
Re: Blackberry : The Final Fall by dahmylolah(m): 10:44pm On Sep 29, 2013
flawless911: My Tecno L3 does dat u uninformed little one, talkless of its bigbrothers d Tecno Phantoms.. Do your research n get ur facts straight b4 quotin me kk?? SmH
Ur techno fone does kinni....... Air gesture abi smart track abi which.... Guyyyyy.... Jejely manage ur techno.... Na werrin ur money fit buy be that... Rubbish.... Not saying techno is not good o... Buh abeg.... Siddon park somewhere... Like comparing a camry to the s class..... Both cars get u to ur destination Buh...... (fill in the blanks... I know u aren't stupeed cheesy grin cheesy cheesy grin)

2 Likes

Re: Blackberry : The Final Fall by flawless911(m): 11:11pm On Sep 29, 2013
dahmylolah:
Ur techno fone does kinni....... Air gesture abi smart track abi which.... Guyyyyy.... Jejely manage ur techno.... Na werrin ur money fit buy be that... Rubbish.... Not saying techno is not good o... Buh abeg.... Siddon park somewhere... Like comparing a camry to the s class..... Both cars get u to ur destination Buh...... (fill in the blanks... I know u aren't stupeed cheesy grin cheesy cheesy grin)
Kid, those "fancy" shit are just APPS dat can b downloaded FREE online incase u didnt knw.. My L3 is 4.1.1 jellybean but i use Galaxy S4's 4.2.2 stock camera app on it.. Goto d Phantom A+ threads n u'll see bois flexin Galaxy S4 roms on dia phantoms.. Now next tym u quote me GET UR FACTS STRAIGHT

1 Like

Re: Blackberry : The Final Fall by physise(m): 11:12pm On Sep 29, 2013
kids everywhere hw much tecno n other brands dey pay una to dey argue like dis.
Re: Blackberry : The Final Fall by Defaramade(m): 11:31pm On Sep 29, 2013
physise: kids everywhere hw much tecno n other brands dey pay una to dey argue like dis.
No mind them
Re: Blackberry : The Final Fall by dahmylolah(m): 1:06am On Sep 30, 2013
flawless911: Kid, those "fancy" shit are just APPS dat can b downloaded FREE online incase u didnt knw.. My L3 is 4.1.1 jellybean but i use Galaxy S4's 4.2.2 stock camera app on it.. Goto d Phantom A+ threads n u'll see bois flexin Galaxy S4 roms on dia phantoms.. Now next tym u quote me GET UR FACTS STRAIGHT
Dude.... I get it... U are a techno lover... Jeez.. Let's have room to breathe.... Buh FYI... U running mods on ur Chinese ish doesn't mean shi would work dude... Imagine... Ur mod rom get smart stay.... Air view... I go bend finish.... And u have the guts to call em fancy... When u actually have ordinary usb on the go... (see I had to write it out course u might neva have heard it grin) ... And the whole nine yards working... Get baq to me... QED... And that's a wrap folks.. Enjoy ur fone dude.. #shikena @physice... I see u Jare... Correct sumbories wink

2 Likes

Re: Blackberry : The Final Fall by ibietela2(m): 3:00am On Sep 30, 2013
Ziggyzito: its a taboo to compare a TeCHNO phone with a samsung product... Talkless of the s4... when your A+ starts doing the air gestures, eye tracking , etc you reply... and besides.. does your Techno have a 2nd hand value?

How many of that feature are you using??
Re: Blackberry : The Final Fall by ibietela2(m): 3:03am On Sep 30, 2013
BB killed it's self with his own hands
Re: Blackberry : The Final Fall by Osyxcel(m): 6:31am On Sep 30, 2013
On the sideline watching in 1920x1080 cool

grin grin grin
Re: Blackberry : The Final Fall by texazzpete(m): 7:33am On Sep 30, 2013
flawless911: Kid, those "fancy" shit are just APPS dat can b downloaded FREE online incase u didnt knw.. My L3 is 4.1.1 jellybean but i use Galaxy S4's 4.2.2 stock camera app on it.. Goto d Phantom A+ threads n u'll see bois flexin Galaxy S4 roms on dia phantoms.. Now next tym u quote me GET UR FACTS STRAIGHT

My friend, do not let the devil use you. Refrain from lies... Show me where Phantom A+ users are using Galaxy S4 Roms as you claim.

I'm not sure the inferiority complex many of you techno users have that you insist on comparing with the likes of the S4. There's no contest. The Phantom is pretty good value, but it is inferior hardware and software to the S4.

Inferior Camera, inferior screen, inferior build quality, inferior battery, inferior ram, CPU, GPU. Plus you are NOT guaranteed updates.

1 Like

Re: Blackberry : The Final Fall by physise(m): 7:38am On Sep 30, 2013
texazzpete:

My friend, do not let the devil use you. Refrain from lies... Show me where Phantom A+ users are using Galaxy S4 Roms as you claim.

I'm not sure the inferiority complex many of you techno users have that you insist on comparing with the likes of the S4. There's no contest. The Phantom is pretty good value, but it is inferior hardware and software to the S4.

Inferior Camera, inferior screen, inferior build quality, inferior battery, inferior ram, CPU, GPU. Plus you are NOT guaranteed updates.

guy d custom rom dey a+ thread
Re: Blackberry : The Final Fall by krugar07(m): 9:09am On Sep 30, 2013
this thread was and still is about bb. i dont knw what just made that lowlife to bring tecno and samsung into this. the inferiority filled fanboy just keeps ranting like a school girl!!!!
Re: Blackberry : The Final Fall by physise(m): 9:11am On Sep 30, 2013
krugar07: this thread was and still is about bb. i dont knw what just made that lowlife to bring tecno and samsung into this. the inferiority filled fanboy just keeps ranting like a school girl!!!!
I just tire for all dis tecno fans deir wahala too much
Re: Blackberry : The Final Fall by Nobody: 9:29am On Sep 30, 2013
TECNO.. every where u go
Re: Blackberry : The Final Fall by TweetMajor(m): 9:43am On Sep 30, 2013
ibietela2:

these technocrats Will never know their boundaries. Comparing s4 to phantom or whatever you call it is like comparing Adam to Eve, Obama to Jonathan, Ronaldo to Torres.
See with your eyes and not your pockets and you'd know the difference is clear!!!.

1 Like

Re: Blackberry : The Final Fall by krugar07(m): 9:56am On Sep 30, 2013
TweetMajor:
these technocrats Will never know their boundaries. Comparing s4 to phantom or whatever you call it is like comparing Adam to Eve, Obama to Jonathan, Ronaldo to Torres.
See with your eyes and not your pockets and you'd know the difference is clear!!!.
u got it wrong. its like comparing 'pure water' to 'ragolis spring bottled water' and we all know who the purewater is.
Re: Blackberry : The Final Fall by Nobody: 9:59am On Sep 30, 2013
krugar07: u got it wrong. its like comparing 'pure water' to 'ragolis spring bottled water' and we all know who the purewater is.
U GOT IT WRONGgrin grin.

ITS LIKE COMPARING TOPSQUARD AND CHAMPAIGN ..

WE ALL KNOW WHO D TOPSQUARD IS...
Re: Blackberry : The Final Fall by Dabss(m): 10:55am On Sep 30, 2013
dahmylolah:
Dude.... I get it... U are a techno lover... Jeez.. Let's have room to breathe.... Buh FYI... U running mods on ur Chinese ish doesn't mean shi would work dude... Imagine... Ur mod rom get smart stay.... Air view... I go bend finish.... And u have the guts to call em fancy... When u actually have ordinary usb on the go... (see I had to write it out course u might neva have heard it grin) ... And the whole nine yards working... Get baq to me... QED... And that's a wrap folks.. Enjoy ur fone dude.. #shikena @physice... I see u Jare... Correct sumbories wink
dude, u are just wasting your time. Most of them haven't even seen the gs4 physically, all they know about the s4 is what they read from gsmarena.
If the rom gives u all the features of the phone then I guess my s3 should be water resistant now.. since I am running an xperia z rom.

1 Like

Re: Blackberry : The Final Fall by flawless911(m): 11:42am On Sep 30, 2013
physise: guy d custom rom dey a+ thread
U get tym to reply to d learna
Re: Blackberry : The Final Fall by Nobody: 11:43am On Sep 30, 2013
Da_b¤§§.:
dude, u are just wasting your time. Most of them haven't even seen the gs4 physically, all they know about the s4 is what they read from gsmarena.
If the rom gives u all the features of the phone then I guess my s3 should be water resistant now.. since I am running an xperia z rom.

hey bro. can you help me flash the rom on my s3?
Re: Blackberry : The Final Fall by Dabss(m): 1:31pm On Sep 30, 2013
ollah1:

hey bro. can you help me flash the rom on my s3?
no problem. the name of the rom is xperianZe.
Re: Blackberry : The Final Fall by Nobody: 4:24pm On Sep 30, 2013
Da_b¤§§.:
no problem. the name of the rom is xperianZe.

how do i meet you so you can help me get it done pls?
Re: Blackberry : The Final Fall by Dabss(m): 5:32pm On Sep 30, 2013
ollah1:

how do i meet you so you can help me get it done pls?
u don't need to meet me. Search for the rom, download it and I will guide u on how to flash it.
Re: Blackberry : The Final Fall by Ziggyzito(m): 9:27pm On Sep 30, 2013
ibietela2:

that screenshot should shut you up smiley

Re: Blackberry : The Final Fall by Ziggyzito(m): 9:29pm On Sep 30, 2013
ibietela2:

this screenshot should shut you up smiley

Re: Blackberry : The Final Fall by Ziggyzito(m): 9:32pm On Sep 30, 2013
shett!! Are you a learned person? How can you say you can download custom made s4 apps onto another device? Forget that krap called custom rom..

1 Like

Re: Blackberry : The Final Fall by Ziggyzito(m): 9:35pm On Sep 30, 2013
flawless911: My Tecno L3 does dat u uninformed little one, talkless of its bigbrothers d Tecno Phantoms.. Do your research n get ur facts straight b4 quotin me kk?? SmH
you speak like an uneducated foool... buy your phone from the shop, open it and start using the same features your gadd damn l3 does without you going extra miles of putting a custom rom of an s4... wonder why I'm arguing with this kinda person

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Samsung Galaxy S5 Mini - Price & Spec / Huawei Nexus 6P Full Specifications & Price - Google Nexus / Get More With Whatsapp Bot

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.