Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,532 members, 7,816,298 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 09:05 AM

Can This Be Abuja ? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Can This Be Abuja ? (5452 Views)

Fuel Scarcity: Could This Be Abuja? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Can This Be Abuja ? by pastorking(m): 6:29pm On Jun 26, 2008
Can this be Abuja ? A Canadian friend i met in South Africa earlier this year will be my guest here in Nigeria by next month, July. He is really excited about the trip (His first ever to Nigeria) that he is already researching a lot about the country. He sent me these pictures as some of the places he will like to visit. He says the place is Abuja. I don't really know how, and from where he got these pictures from; but can Nigeria really be this fine ?

Re: Can This Be Abuja ? by BigB11(m): 6:32pm On Jun 26, 2008
why not?
Re: Can This Be Abuja ? by tpia: 8:25pm On Jun 26, 2008
I think we should leave Abuja (and the fine places in Nigeria) for foreigners to appreciate and buy.

many Nigerians only want to see Nigerian slums- those are the only places where they can feel comfortable, it seems. They're not used to luxury and have no chance of living a good life inside Nigeria.

If you're Nigerian ( especially one living outside the country), abeg, these photos no be Abuja oh. Na Nairobi kenya and South Africa.
Re: Can This Be Abuja ? by Kobojunkie: 8:40pm On Jun 26, 2008
@Poster, I have never really been in most of Abuja so I can not verify.
Re: Can This Be Abuja ? by CARUSO(m): 8:45pm On Jun 26, 2008
big deal?!!!
Re: Can This Be Abuja ? by BigB11(m): 9:07pm On Jun 26, 2008
big deal?!!!
I guess, couple of tall buildings and constant power supply on every other Tuesday night is good enough to entice Nigerians to come back home and foreigners to come to visit.
Re: Can This Be Abuja ? by Nobody: 9:12pm On Jun 26, 2008
the first picture is definitely Abuja. That building is one i've seen before.
Re: Can This Be Abuja ? by SkyBlue1: 9:58pm On Jun 26, 2008
Guys of course they are both Abuja. In the second picture is the National Ecumencial centre (church) and in the background you can see the for NNPC towers. And no, i don't live in Abuja
Re: Can This Be Abuja ? by ono(m): 10:18pm On Jun 26, 2008
Damn!! And you want militants to lay down their arms?? Where did all damned rulers in this country get the money to build such a place? Why on earth should a place like Abuja be that beautiful and and my Warri and PHC look like shanties??

I support the militants blowing up everything to shreds and fragments - including the damned Abuja!!! If they can find their way to Abuja to plant a nuclear bomb, let them do so. I'm so angry. Shit!!!!
Re: Can This Be Abuja ? by Nobody: 10:21pm On Jun 26, 2008
ono:

Damn!! And you want militants to lay down their arms?? Where did all damned rulers in this country get the money to build such a place? Why on earth should a place like Abuja be that beautiful and and my Warri and PHC look like shanties??

I support the militants blowing up everything to shreds and fragments - including the damned Abuja!!! If they can find their way to Abuja to plant a nuclear bomb, let them do so. I'm so angry. Shit!!!!

you're not the only one angry. Go see ABTI university, you'd think twice about condemning those millitants.
Re: Can This Be Abuja ? by ono(m): 10:33pm On Jun 26, 2008
Brother mi, I have seen the school. Someone brought some handbills with comprehensive description of the school to my office. I honestly think we need to blow up the whole country. We need to clearly sit down somewhere neutral and decide how this country should be governed.

I support the fight against injustice on the part of the militants . . . . . .let them blow up everything!!!

Why should I go to my village, and all I see as dividends of oil and gas production over the past 40 years is some burning gas flare stack!!! God punish all the evil beings in this entity called Nigeria. Woe unto their generations after them!!!!
Re: Can This Be Abuja ? by SkyBlue1: 10:34pm On Jun 26, 2008
@davidylan and ono you still want to have this arguement on this thread? smiley Yes it is really disgusting that although there is corruption everywhere in Nigeria in the case of Abuja the capital city some of the money allocated to projects was actually used in executing those projects, right? While in the case of Port Harcourt etc all the money allocated by past governors was actually used to enrich themselves and fund terrorism, and yet Peter Odili is walking free governors and Abuja and federal government is the main problem abi? LOL quite amusing. Calabar is meant to be the cleanest city in Nigeria and has good roads and some notable projects, please do tell, isn't calabar in what part of the country is calabar in? Why must we continue to ignore what is in front of us and then go and blame someone else? If it is not cowardice ui don't even know what elese to call it. When Peter odili was in Port Harcourt what did these "freedom fighters" do? Nigeria
Re: Can This Be Abuja ? by Nobody: 10:36pm On Jun 26, 2008
Sky Blue:

@davidylan and ono you still want to have this arguement on this thread? smiley Yes it is really disgusting that although there is corruption everywhere in Nigeria in the case of Abuja the capital city some of the money allocated to projects was actually used in executing those projects, right? While in the case of Port Harcourt etc all the money allocated by past governors was actually used to enrich themselves and fund terrorism, and yet Peter Odili is walking free governors and Abuja and federal government is the main problem abi? LOL quite amusing. Calabar is meant to be the cleanest city in Nigeria and has good roads and some notable projects, please do tell, isn't calabar in what part of the country is calabar in?

Someone made a cogent point earlier . . . WHY ARE THE GOVERNORS OF THE NIGER DELTA AREA HELD TO HIGHER ACCOUNTABILITY? What have the other governors done with essentially the same allocations?
Re: Can This Be Abuja ? by ono(m): 10:40pm On Jun 26, 2008
And people help me tell this blue boy to bring up a picture of Calabar town and compare it to what we have in Abuja. I don't want some fancy Tinapa picture ( I could as well bring the Bonny LNG recreational facilities and Shell RA pic from PHC to show). Show what we have with the common people.

Within the spate of just 15-years, Abuja has become one of the fastest growing cities in the world . . . . within that time frame, nothing tangible was done to better the lot of the Niger Delta people.
Re: Can This Be Abuja ? by SkyBlue1: 10:45pm On Jun 26, 2008
Ok, let us forget first of all that the Niger Delta gets the highest allocation for a sec. Who is making the noise that his/her state is not being developed? What part of the country is making the most noise? Is it not the Niger Delta? So since this noise has been made then you now have to ask and try and find logic in the fact that for a group that so desperately wants to see development come to the area why are these militants not holding their leaders more accountable? The money allocated to development is used by your governor to enrich himself (do you actually know how rich Peter Odili is?) and then you ignore all of that and go and blame the federal government? Then who are these militants terrorising? Is it not their fellow people? This topic has been discussed in more detail in other threads that were assigned the topic so i won't keep repeating myself. All i can say is that such reasoning is either cowardice to actually stand up to the main people responsible (i.e. the people allocated money who steal it) or its just people being mischevious. And what you said is not quite true, the people of the Niger Delta don't hold their leaders to higher accountability, they let them do as they please. It is others who after hearing all this noise of under development that begin to wonder why those leaders in that area who always have the most money are not the ones being held responsible and rightly so. So you want to go and hold federal government responsible for your governor chopping money that he has "assigned" for building roads? And then now complain that money assigned for building roads in calabar is actually used to build roads? *sigh*, i just don't know anymore for Nigeria.
Re: Can This Be Abuja ? by SkyBlue1: 10:51pm On Jun 26, 2008
@ono, you don't have to agree with me and i have been in this arguement a bit too much and keep making thesame point so i am going to leave you guys to fight among yourselves or draw what ever conclusion you will. If you want to keep directing anger towards the federal government while the state governors of that region continue to kill their own people, terrorise their residents and just practise blatant broad daylight robbery then that is up to you, i am not going to frustrate myself any longer with responses. Yes it is the job of the federal government to build roads and schools in each state in the country as well as provide jobs in each state, the state governors are actually there to loot and rightly so, right? have a nice day.
Re: Can This Be Abuja ? by Nobody: 11:34pm On Jun 26, 2008
I thought these guys would have blown up so many places as they threatened earlier (third mainland inclusive) grin

Some blind patriots will quickly use the same words they've been using for sometime now - "what did ND governors do with the allocation?" We quickly forget that these guys were not elected by the people and most notably; they were there for only 8 years. One will now ask; what was done for the ND before the coming of Odili and co.?

A lot of Nigerians seem not to know when and how these armed militancy started in ND. It all started in full force when the Niger delta youths were paid 100 naira each to go and march under a scorching sun for Abacha in Abuja. Majority of these Niger delta youths refused going back thinking they've landed in "oyibo" man country. But on realizing that they were still in the damned country and that it was their oil that built a moderate Abuja within a short time; they headed back to the polluted creeks and silently waited for a suitable time to vent out their frustration with arms. Behold, 1999 was a perfect time to break the gate of hell. tongue
Re: Can This Be Abuja ? by superman(m): 12:25am On Jun 27, 2008
coming through

i think before blowing up things as you wish to think, those political monkies might have 1 or 2 question to answer. for those that built or building house in nigeria just like my papa done you can imagine how far $1,000,000 will go in property development in nigeria.

When Superman sat talking about these nigerian political monkies you think this a joke, so niger delta hold your governor responsible first, then the federal government if yal real

i remember what obj claimed to use to build the national stadium in abuja nearly one billion dollars compared with what was used to built national staduim over here in england maybe less 200 million dollars

those political monkies think think they are clever. they got a lot to learn from the chinese.
Re: Can This Be Abuja ? by debosky(m): 12:35am On Jun 27, 2008
superman:

coming through

i think before blowing up things as you wish to think, those political monkies might have 1 or 2 question to answer. for those that built or building house in nigeria just like my papa done you can imagine how far $1,000,000 will go in property development in nigeria.

When Superman sat talking about these nigerian political monkies you think this a joke, so niger delta hold your governor responsible first, then the federal government if yal real

i remember what obj claimed to use to build the national stadium in abuja nearly one billion dollars compared with what was used to built national staduim over here in england maybe less 200 million dollars

those political monkies think think they are clever. they got a lot to learn from the chinese.

Can you take it easy with your falsehoods?

The national stadium in the UK (Wembley) cost 757 million POUNDS, the Abuja stadium on the other hand cost $360 million. Stick to the facts/figures you know and don't mislead in making your point.
Re: Can This Be Abuja ? by superman(m): 1:29am On Jun 27, 2008
na u sabi!!

superman has spoken! beleive whatever 419 figure u wana believe

no love for those aso monkies! nonesense

grin
Re: Can This Be Abuja ? by samir101ng(m): 2:33am On Jun 27, 2008
Hello guys, quite a hot topic you got there. I have a few questions which i would be grateful if someone can further clarify. Why is it that the Northern States which receive far more less than their oil producing brothers get to have more social infrastructures in place ? Also, i have not never heard of any big shot governor from the oil states being brought to order by his people ? Nigeria operates a federal system of government. you just can't expect federal govt to come and do all the projects for your state when your governor and local govt chairmen are sitting down quitely munching down your money. These oil companies settle a lot of these tribal elders and village chiefs so as to dissuade the youths in the area from attacknig their facilities but the youths have never for once seen through this web of deceit. Abuja is the seat of the federal govt and therefore enjoys special priviledges above all other states.
Re: Can This Be Abuja ? by Kobojunkie: 2:37am On Jun 27, 2008
samir101ng:

Hello guys, quite a hot topic you got there. I have a few questions which i would be grateful if someone can further clarify. Why is it that the Northern States which receive far more less than their oil producing brothers get to have more social infrastructures in place ? Also, i have not never heard of any big shot governor from the oil states being brought to order by his people ? Nigeria operates a federal system of government. you just can't expect federal govt to come and do all the projects for your state when your governor and local govt chairmen are sitting down quitely munching down your money. These oil companies settle a lot of these tribal elders and village chiefs so as to dissuade the youths in the area from attacknig their facilities but the youths have never for once seen through this web of deceit. Abuja is the seat of the federal govt and therefore enjoys special priviledges above all other states.

we expect the federal government to make sure to hold the state governors accountable for every dime of the budget approved each year. So, if Yar adua approves 1 billion for Delta state, Yar adua's job includes making sure that money is used what it was appropriated for, or we all hold him responsible. I know in a perfect system it should be the people focusing on the state governors but in Nigeria, since president controls most of it, the it is president to be held responsible for it all.
Re: Can This Be Abuja ? by Nobody: 2:52am On Jun 27, 2008
samir101ng:

Hello guys, quite a hot topic you got there. I have a few questions which i would be grateful if someone can further clarify. Why is it that the Northern States which receive far more less than their oil producing brothers get to have more social infrastructures in place?

Answer me the following questions:
1. How much do the northern states contribute to the national purse?
2. WHY are northern states entitled to allocations they do nothing to generate?

Where are the "social infrastructure" in the north? Why is the north rock bottom in terms of electricity (i lived 1 yr in Adamawa and it was beyond pathetic), education, health, capital investment, banking and finance . . . despite all the undeserved allocation?

samir101ng:

Also, i have not never heard of any big shot governor from the oil states being brought to order by his people?

Have you brought thieves like Abdusalam and Babangida to order? Why were you all campaigning to have murderers like Al Mustapha released from prison?

samir101ng:

Nigeria operates a federal system of government.

Apparently you wouldnt know the difference between a unitary and federal system of government.

samir101ng:

you just can't expect federal govt to come and do all the projects for your state when your governor and local govt chairmen are sitting down quitely munching down your money.

which is exactly what your own governors do every month. Chew gworro for 30 days and rush to Abuja for allocation on the last day of the month. Where are the industries in the north? Where are the groundnut pyramids? where are your banks? where is your stock exchange? why is Dangote in Lagos? Where are your investment zones?

What do you produce in your states?

samir101ng:

Abuja is the seat of the federal govt and therefore enjoys special priviledges above all other states.

Niger Delta is the seat of 95% of national revenue . . . it CLEARLY MUST enjoy certain priviledges that intellectually lazy states like Gombe are not entitled to.
Re: Can This Be Abuja ? by Akolawole(m): 2:57am On Jun 27, 2008
God bless you Debo

What is the purpose of Forums for God sake?

Congrat on your Moderatorship?

That might be compelling me to visit there.

keep it up Bro.
Re: Can This Be Abuja ? by pastorking(m): 9:37am On Jun 27, 2008
But have we really establish the fact that this pictures are Abuja pics. I think we need to confirm this first.
Re: Can This Be Abuja ? by ono(m): 9:45am On Jun 27, 2008
samir101ng:

What's all these mumbo jumbo, Samanja? Even if Abuja is the seat of African government, where is it stated in ''our'' (their) damned constitution that because a place is the capital of the country, it should be far ahead in terms of development compared to the areas where the resources funding the development of the capital seat comes from?

I repeat this: I support wholeheartedly the bombing of all choice places across the country, starting with Abuja. I also support the crippling of oil exploitation and exploration activities until such a time that everyone (I mean the ethnic nationalities making up the entity called Nigeria) decides it's high time we left deceitfulness, crass misrepresentation of facts and sheer devilment on the part of the leaders of the lousy, lazy majority ethnic groups in the country, and face the challenges before us with a clear and resolute sense of responsibility.

Until then, like Nuzo said, let the Gates of Hell brake loose - and unleash Hell's Fury on Nigeria!!!
Re: Can This Be Abuja ? by dayokanu(m): 10:16am On Jun 27, 2008
We quickly forget that these guys were not elected by the people and most notably; they were there for only 8 years. One will now ask; what was done for the ND before the coming of Odili and co.?

If Odili, Ibori and Alams were not elected by the people . The same system elected Donald Duke, Fashola and other govs who perform in their states so that is no excuse.

Why are Cross River people not complaining because they felt the impact of the allocation given to their state govt unlike in those state where the Governor loots them dry and the next thing is to blame yar'Adua.

Actually some places in the north are worse than the creeks. but they are not complaining

Between May to October 2007, all the North Eastern states of Nigeria (Borno, Yobe, Bauchi, Gombe, Adamawa and taraba) got a total of 67billion Naira as allocation while Rivers State alone got 73billion within this period So what is the screaming about.

When Alams after looting their money in Bayelsa and escaped from the U.K dressed as a woman See the celebration in Bayelsa Yet they would claim Yar'Adua is the problem.
Re: Can This Be Abuja ? by dayokanu(m): 10:17am On Jun 27, 2008
Between May to October 2007, all the North Eastern states of Nigeria (Borno, Yobe, Bauchi, Gombe, Adamawa and taraba) got a total of 67billion Naira as allocation while Rivers State alone got 73billion within this period So what is the screaming about.

Error: Rivers got 93billion
Re: Can This Be Abuja ? by ono(m): 10:30am On Jun 27, 2008
You need to give me the monthly allocation to Abuja - (forget it's the capital of Hell) . . . . . . . . . . . .for producing next to nothing.
Re: Can This Be Abuja ? by dayokanu(m): 10:48am On Jun 27, 2008
What do they produce in Washington D.C ? for its beauty
Re: Can This Be Abuja ? by ono(m): 11:17am On Jun 27, 2008
And is Washington DC much developed as[b] Houston, Los Angeles, New York, Detroit, Boston[/b] ?

American-Nigerians, abeg, make una helep us. Is DC much developed than the cities stated above?
Re: Can This Be Abuja ? by SkyBlue1: 11:24am On Jun 27, 2008
@ono is it the federal government in America that develops New York, Houston, California, etc? This line of arguement is just something i can't even comprehend. Should people not be ashamed that they can't develop their own states? It is like a dissection into the Nigerian psyche, passing blame and cowardly avoiding confrontation with the monster starring you in the face. Let the militants go and capture Odili and co then i might begin to see them as a bit more than the bunch of hooligans and criminals that they are.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

In Nigeria We (the Followers) Are More Corrupt Than Our Leaders. / The Truth Behind The Killings In Obrikom / SS/SE Unity - No More “divide And Rule”

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.