Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,397 members, 7,815,867 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 07:44 PM

Intercontinental Lagos - Tallest Hotel In West-Africa - Launched - Travel (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Intercontinental Lagos - Tallest Hotel In West-Africa - Launched (58334 Views)

Gov. Fashola Unveils The Tallest Hotel In West Africa In Lagos (PHOTOS) / World Tallest Hotel Set To Be Opened In Dubai (photos) / The Ritz-carlton Hong Kong: The World's Tallest Hotel (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Intercontinental Lagos - Tallest Hotel In West-Africa - Launched by geeez: 11:28pm On Sep 30, 2013
Chinom:

I'm all for the bolded. I live in Lagos. But please bear in mind that what happens in Lagos has no bearing whatsoever to you and your fellow Yoruba people from Oyo, Osun, Ondo etc. Same way, you cannot ascribe what happens in New York to any particular race, colour or creed of people that inhabit it.
Lagos is bigger that your myopic self. That it happens to be located in SW of Nigeria is insignificant. Afterall, it has to be located somewhere.

I'm from Lagos but its not happening in Lagos alone where IGR has grown from N600m in 1999 to almost N30bn per month

Ogun State has grown its IGR from N730m 2yrs ago to N4bn per month

Osun State has grown its IGR from N300m 3yrs ago to N1.6bn per month

Ekiti currently generates over N1bn per month in IGR

Abia State generates N650m monthly while Anambra does N450m monthly

Osun State for last year had the fourth highest GDP in southern Nigeria after Lagos, Rivers and Oyo

So its not a Lagos thing but the Yoruba progressives at work

And increased IGR is a function of development because its either more companies are opening and producing or you've increased your taxes

The latter cant be true since companies are bound to shut down or relocate if you increase your taxes arbitrarily

5 Likes

Re: Intercontinental Lagos - Tallest Hotel In West-Africa - Launched by Olaone1: 11:36pm On Sep 30, 2013
Rossikk:

That is SIMPLY NOT TRUE.

In many Budget hotels in the US and the UK you would struggle to get WI Fi or even a good dinner. Many 3 star hotels in the UK even lack AC and room service, swimming pools etc. Abeg make we hear something.

You are wrong, bro. In Western countries, you can expect the rooms to be in tip-top condition. You can also expect quality mattress, quality tissue paper, top-class reception, quick response, clean and nice-smelling toilet, and, all in all, a satisfying experience. And, I'm talking about budget hotels. Most of them also have WIFI, though, often, you are asked to pay a token in order to enjoy this service.

In Nigeria, you would struggle to get any of these. The Premier Hotel (although not 5 star) in Ibadan is popular but you would struggle to get tissue paper let alone quality one, functioning AC, no WIFI at all. The baths are dirty and not working. Yet the cheapest room there is 15,500 Naira.
There is one called the Halmod Inn behind Moore Street at Yaba. Nice building architecturally but that's where it ends. No WIFI. The cheapest room there is 12,000 Naira. And, what do you get for this? Nada. I can give you more examples.

And, don't let me talk about their erratic power supply.

Whereas most budget hotels in the UK, for example, charge between 30 - 60 pounds and all these things are always provided and much more.
Re: Intercontinental Lagos - Tallest Hotel In West-Africa - Launched by Nobody: 11:39pm On Sep 30, 2013
@ geez: So Anambra and Abia States-the two commercial centers of the South east, generate only N1.1bn together?! shocked
That's just do sad

2 Likes

Re: Intercontinental Lagos - Tallest Hotel In West-Africa - Launched by Proffdada: 11:46pm On Sep 30, 2013
Tower of Babel
Re: Intercontinental Lagos - Tallest Hotel In West-Africa - Launched by Revolva(m): 11:49pm On Sep 30, 2013
Haaa.......omo well me i am in my own 5 star hotel in Ajegunle....jare..hotel na hotel....sey na to run tins..like ashewo..package..or relax.. short rest....or a hide out from some yeye friends.....intercontinental kor...hisss
Re: Intercontinental Lagos - Tallest Hotel In West-Africa - Launched by Katsumoto: 11:50pm On Sep 30, 2013
AjanleKoko:

I trust you're not referring to the UK 'budget' hotels, where you basically have to be your own concierge undecided
Not Travelodge or Days Hotel sha angry

Hotels in the States are way better.

Bros thats not accurate

Hotels in Europe are better than hotels in the states. Hotels in the States are similar to the airports there, dowdy looking. Europe always trumps the States when it comes to quality.
Re: Intercontinental Lagos - Tallest Hotel In West-Africa - Launched by Olaone1: 11:54pm On Sep 30, 2013
AjanleKoko:

I trust you're not referring to the UK 'budget' hotels, where you basically have to be your own concierge undecided

Yes bro, I meant UK budget hotels. Premier Inn, Ibis, etc.

At Etap, you can even get rooms as cheap as 26 pounds and the rooms are not bad grin grin. Although, you have to pay a pound in order to use their Internet. And, a free cuppa sef grin
Re: Intercontinental Lagos - Tallest Hotel In West-Africa - Launched by Olaone1: 11:55pm On Sep 30, 2013
Katsumoto:

Bros thats not accurate

Hotels in Europe are better than hotels in the states. Hotels in the States are similar to the airports there, dowdy looking. Europe always trumps the States when it comes to quality.

grin grin
Thanks jare. Europe rules
Re: Intercontinental Lagos - Tallest Hotel In West-Africa - Launched by Olaone1: 11:58pm On Sep 30, 2013
Even some B&B in the UK are better than Naija huge hotels in terms of services
Re: Intercontinental Lagos - Tallest Hotel In West-Africa - Launched by dazzy4real(m): 12:04am On Oct 01, 2013
a hotel was built and created jobs for 650 pipul, why question why the hotel of #30b gives only 650 jobs, pls create urs n lets see. stop the condemnation and give credits

1 Like

Re: Intercontinental Lagos - Tallest Hotel In West-Africa - Launched by Nobody: 12:05am On Oct 01, 2013
Katsumoto:

Bros thats not accurate

Sadly, I have to agree with you. The airports here in the U.S. are inferior to those of not only Western Europe, but even in the Middle East and the Asia-Pacific region. Though I would say just a handful of US airports (Cincinnati, Denver and San Francisco) are up to European standards.
Re: Intercontinental Lagos - Tallest Hotel In West-Africa - Launched by kenjudy(m): 12:10am On Oct 01, 2013
Gbawe:

You guys demonstrate why Africa has not reached the level it should be at. You are educated yet cannot seek solutions let alone deliver it. It is the ability for local minds to deliver local solutions that set societies apart worldwide. With Africa, local minds seem ill-equipped and incapable of delivering solutions and we see why with your utterances above. Instead of constituting yourselves into the solutions providers of your Country, so that you can deliver Hotels like this to address hospitality demands and make yourselves wealthy in the process, you are all busy displaying crass ignorance, pettiness and an obsession with discussing inanities instead of ideas.

It is the Intercontinental Hotel group that is behind this. If you know who they are, what they do and what they have achieved, you would not be making the regrettably ignorant statements above. This is the private capital of one of the biggest hotel groups in the world behind this and I suggest you folks educate yourselves. Even bad belle against anyone/anything should not prompt this level of ignorance and abysmally stymied world-view if the Nigerian education system produces solutions providers who gain inspiration and guidance from commendable achievements.

http://www.ihgplc.com/index.asp?pageid=2

Mr. Lecturer we don hear. Dem be god, dem get better everytin. Don't forget u're also one of us whether u like it or not. Anybody go just open mouth insult naija becos say una just learn small english from oyibo man. Anuofia!

1 Like

Re: Intercontinental Lagos - Tallest Hotel In West-Africa - Launched by Olaone1: 12:15am On Oct 01, 2013
AjanleKoko:

And, you would agree with me the word "concierge" is foreign as far as naija is concerned. Dunno about hotels like Hilton in Naija sha.

In naija, they just want to help with your luggage/bag when you are not leprous.
It's my bag, let me hold it jare.
Re: Intercontinental Lagos - Tallest Hotel In West-Africa - Launched by barackohandso(m): 12:41am On Oct 01, 2013
Chai!

Just imagine. A 5-star hotel was launched by Lagos state governor, and instead of celebrations, opinions and discussions on how this affects or improve the region/state/country, what y'all doing is starting your e-tribal war again. Na wah for this 'Na we get, no be you get lagos palaver' oh. Make una kill una selves on top this Lagos issue na, come see who go get am. Mtchew

Nonsense and ingredients
Re: Intercontinental Lagos - Tallest Hotel In West-Africa - Launched by Abrantie: 1:01am On Oct 01, 2013
Look at that cheap looking building you call 5 star. Come to Movenpick Ambassador Hotel in Accra, then you shall bow down.

http://www.moevenpick-hotels.com/accra
Re: Intercontinental Lagos - Tallest Hotel In West-Africa - Launched by Guk: 1:05am On Oct 01, 2013
Alakeogun: Another TINUBU project to siphone lagos State. Another revenue collection scheme

Aided by the Igbos as its an Igbo man that practically owns the hotel

I dont know some are just too lazy to do a small google research than come over to Nairaland to peddle rumours
Re: Intercontinental Lagos - Tallest Hotel In West-Africa - Launched by AnOlderAmerican(m): 1:21am On Oct 01, 2013
There are 5 kinds of hotels in my country.

1. The fleabag usually rents rooms by hours, not family friendly although you will find children of welfare recipients at times temporarily living there until government sponsored housing becomes available. Shower, telephone and TV.

2. The budget hotel for travelers usually barebones, cable TV, shower, airconditioning, and a coffee maker. Sometimes a continental breakfast is offered in the office area. Prices 49.00 - 60.00 a night average

3. The upper scale budget which offers swimming pools, game rooms, restaurant on premise or nearby, Jacuzzi, airconditioning,
wifi, HBO, free movies, adult films, irons and ironing board, flat screen tv, rooms with balconies, and laundry service.

80.00-120.00

4. Deluxe Hotel offers 250 Thread Count Sheets; Accessible; Air Conditioning; Alarm Radio; Balcony; Bath Slippers; Bathrobe; Bidet; Black-Out Curtains; Complimentary Beverage Stocked Bars, amenities featured in guestrooms include hair dryers, coffee/tea makers, and complimentary newspapers. Guestrooms have LC televisions with premium TV channels and pay movies. Business-friendly amenities include multi-line phones, desks, and direct-dial phones. Bars, restaurants, gift shops, lounges, conference centers, ball rooms, fitness centers, valet parking, outdoors and indoors pools, gardens, etc,...130.00-230.00 per night

5. Super Deluxe Obscene Luxury insane prices 400.00 -2, 000 a night. My son works at one 4 miles from my house, this summer's guest were Oprah Winfrey, Tina Fey, and Chris Christie.

1 Like

Re: Intercontinental Lagos - Tallest Hotel In West-Africa - Launched by bebechuks: 1:30am On Oct 01, 2013
Wonderful

1 Like

Re: Intercontinental Lagos - Tallest Hotel In West-Africa - Launched by IYANGBALI: 2:26am On Oct 01, 2013
TribalEAST: SW again? angry
yes oooooo,baba God na ni
Re: Intercontinental Lagos - Tallest Hotel In West-Africa - Launched by emmabest2000(m): 3:18am On Oct 01, 2013
solapex:

The tallest hotel in West Africa, Intercontinental Lagos, built at a cost of N30 billion, was unveiled in Lagos yesterday.

The hotel located at Kofo Abayomi Street, Victoria Island, Lagos, Southwest Nigeria is a 23-storey building containing 358 rooms and 37 suites and a Presidential suite.

The Intercontinental Lagos, a subsidiary of the Intercontinental Hotel Group, IHG, is owned by the Milan Group.

Chairman, Milan Group, Ramesh Valechha said the hotel would change the landscape of Lagos and boost the hospitality industry in the state.

He disclosed that Memorandum of Understanding for the project was signed on 31 March, 2004 while it took two years to complete the design work before the conceptualisation of the project began.

He stated that the Lagos State Government, Skye Bank and Wema Bank were supportive of the project.

Valechha disclosed the building of the hotel cost over N30 billion while 650 jobs were created for Nigerians.

Regional General Manager, IHG, Africa, Karl Hala said the hotel is the leading hotel in Nigeria, saying the group had 170 Intercontinental Hotels in 60 countries of the world.

He described the unveiling of the hotel in Lagos as a significant milestone in the hospitality industry, adding that the group also had 20 Intercontinental Hotels in Africa and that the hotel was the only 5-star hotel in Nigeria.

Chief Executive Officer, Design Group, Bayo Odunlami said it took lots of challenging moment in the design and conceptualization of the project, saying he was happy that the group overcame the hurdles.

http://pmnewsnigeria.com/2013/09/29/fashola-unveils-west-africas-tallest-hotel-in-lagos/

Who say NIGERIA is not moving forward ? grin
Re: Intercontinental Lagos - Tallest Hotel In West-Africa - Launched by born2boink(m): 3:47am On Oct 01, 2013
I always thought hotel I meant for sex with partner until I grow up.
Re: Intercontinental Lagos - Tallest Hotel In West-Africa - Launched by Anvaller: 4:41am On Oct 01, 2013
bakynes: Many Haters of Lagos on this thread (My Eastern brothers sorry). As for those saying this hotel isn't the only 5-star hotel, Nigeria doesn't have any 5-star hotel from International rating nt even Transcorp hIlton Abuja,Sheraton hotel lagos,Orientals hotel lagos,protea hotel lagos,Eko hotels etc. As for the ones in the UK I was priviledge to stay a night in a 5-star hotel called Grovesnor Hotel off Hyde park,London and I most say the service was fantastic u are treated like a king or Queen (seriously). So its nt only abt the edifice,the service matters too. Eko o ni bajeeeeeeeeee

Look dude, the likes of transcorp and sheratons u mentioned are ranked 4 stars. Now if u slept in any of them and then sleep in Grovesnor that u called 5 star and compare the services, U can't measure a significant difference in quality, I just don't agree with u. Hotel star ranking is sometimes ambiguous and even controversial. More like University ranking or FIFA ranking. 1 of 2 hotels of the same quality of service might be ranked higher than the other just because it has bigger building and and overlooks the sea. If hotel ranking is majorly based on quality of service, it will not be difficult for many hotels to achieve 5 star status. That is the fact.
Re: Intercontinental Lagos - Tallest Hotel In West-Africa - Launched by philogos4: 5:01am On Oct 01, 2013
The cheapest room will be how much (Not 4 the poor)
Re: Intercontinental Lagos - Tallest Hotel In West-Africa - Launched by musiwa1l: 5:05am On Oct 01, 2013
geeez, what nonsense IGR are you talking about. Their IGR have not grow, they are just telling lies about IGR to get elected. if lagos IGR is 20billion.

does this look like the igr have grew. this is lagos schools, if the IGR have grew then people should be arrested for stealing money. Eko Atlantic is not own by lagos, it is own by a private company.

Gilbert Chagoury is the owner of eko altantic

http://www.chagourygroup.com/real-estate/eko-atlantic/

1 Like

Re: Intercontinental Lagos - Tallest Hotel In West-Africa - Launched by Xriss: 5:22am On Oct 01, 2013
Gbawe:

You guys demonstrate why Africa has not reached the level it should be at. You are educated yet cannot seek solutions let alone deliver it. It is the ability for local minds to deliver local solutions that set societies apart worldwide. With Africa, local minds seem ill-equipped and incapable of delivering solutions and we see why with your utterances above. Instead of constituting yourselves into the solutions providers of your Country, so that you can deliver Hotels like this to address hospitality demands and make yourselves wealthy in the process, you are all busy displaying crass ignorance, pettiness and an obsession with discussing inanities instead of ideas.

It is the Intercontinental Hotel group that is behind this. If you know who they are, what they do and what they have achieved, you would not be making the regrettably ignorant statements above. This is the private capital of one of the biggest hotel groups in the world behind this and I suggest you folks educate yourselves. Even bad belle against anyone/anything should not prompt this level of ignorance and abysmally stymied world-view if the Nigerian education system produces solutions providers who gain inspiration and guidance from commendable achievements.

http://www.ihgplc.com/index.asp?pageid=2

Someone asks 2 valid questions then misses his way and you use about 75% of your response to insult him and the remaining part to address where he got it wrong but ignored the valid questions.....YOUR RESPONSE MIRRORS A BIG PROBLEM WITH THE NIGERIAN SOCIETY.

Why not stick to the issues raised and when it is off point you make it known and probably take a brief sublime hit at him, but in all your rant you also expose your own short comings.

Your response suggests you are someone who generates more problems rather than one who provides any solutions.
Re: Intercontinental Lagos - Tallest Hotel In West-Africa - Launched by badmeat(m): 5:34am On Oct 01, 2013
Nice one!that hotel go sweet to carry fine babes go!grin
Re: Intercontinental Lagos - Tallest Hotel In West-Africa - Launched by iHustle(m): 6:08am On Oct 01, 2013
Rossikk: It is not the only five star hotel in Nigeria.

My guy, there is no five star hotel in Nigeria. Even Nicon Hilton is not five star. Ask any expert in the hospitality industry.
Re: Intercontinental Lagos - Tallest Hotel In West-Africa - Launched by manny4life(m): 6:16am On Oct 01, 2013
That's good.. more business to Lagos

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Italian Man Shares A Picture He Took With His Family In Onitsha In 1977-Pictures / Cow Causes Accident In Abuja, Nigeria’s Capital City / Passenger Forgets Money In Uyo In Keke Napep In Akwa Ibom State. Photo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.