Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,740 members, 7,817,042 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 12:33 AM

Abubakar Tafawa Balewa 1st Independence Day Speech & Pictures - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Abubakar Tafawa Balewa 1st Independence Day Speech & Pictures (23631 Views)

Remaining Possessions Of Tafawa Balewa At His Tomb. Photos / First President To Drag Nigeria To OIC Conference (speech + Pictures) / Orji's Speech & Pictures From Made-in-abia Exhibition (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Abubakar Tafawa Balewa 1st Independence Day Speech & Pictures by Consultville(m): 10:18pm On Sep 30, 2013
Full Text of Speech Delivered by Sir Abubakar Tafawa Balewa, at Nigeria's Independence Ceremony, October 1st, 1960

On Saturday, October 1, 1960, Nigeria became an independent nation. What follows is Sir Abubakar Tafawa Balewa's speech delivered at Tafawa Balewa Square in Lagos at the Independence Ceremony.

Today is Independence Day. The first of October 1960 is a date to which for two years every Nigerian has been eagerly looking forward. At last, our great day has arrived, and Nigeria is now indeed an independent sovereign nation.
Words cannot adequately express my joy and pride at being the Nigerian citizen privileged to accept from Her Royal Highness these Constitutional Instruments which are the symbols of Nigeria’s Independence. It is a unique privilege which I shall remember forever, and it gives me strength and courage as I dedicate my life to the service of our country.

This is a wonderful day, and it is all the more wonderful because we have awaited it with increasing impatience, compelled to watch one country after another overtaking us on the road when we had so nearly reached our goal. But now we have acquired our rightful status, and I feel sure that history will show that the building of our nation proceeded at the wisest pace: it has been thorough, and Nigeria now stands well- built upon firm foundations.
Today’s ceremony marks the culmination of a process which began fifteen years ago and has now reached a happy and successful conclusion. It is with justifiable pride that we claim the achievement of our Independence to be unparalleled in the annals of history. Each step of our constitutional advance has been purposefully and peacefully planned with full and open consultation, not only between representatives of all the various interests in Nigeria but in harmonious cooperation with the administering power which has today relinquished its authority.

At the time when our constitutional development entered upon its final phase, the emphasis was largely upon self-government. We, the elected representatives of the people of Nigeria, concentrated on proving that we were fully capable of managing our own affairs both internally and as a nation. However, we were not to be allowed the selfish luxury of focusing our interest on our own homes. In these days of rapid communications we cannot live in isolation, apart from the rest of the world, even if we wished to do so. All too soon it has become evident that for us Independence implies a great deal more than self-government. This great country, which has now emerged without bitterness or bloodshed, finds that she must at once be ready to deal with grave international issues.

This fact has of recent months been unhappily emphasized by the startling events which have occurred in this continent. I shall not labour the point but it would be unrealistic not to draw attention first to the awe-inspiring task confronting us at the very start of our nationhood. When this day in October 1960 was chosen for our Independence it seemed that we were destined to move with quiet dignity to place on the world stage. Recent events have changed the scene beyond recognition, so that we find ourselves today being tested to the utmost We are called upon immediately to show that our claims to responsible government are well-founded, and having been accepted as an indepedent state we must at once play an active part in maintaining the peace of the world and in preserving civilisation. I promise you, we shall not fail for want of determination.

And we come to this task better-equipped than many. For this, I pay tribute to the manner in which successive British Governments have gradually transferred the burden of responsibility to our shoulders. The assistance and unfailing encouragement which we have received from each Secretary of State for the Colonies and their intense personal interest in our development has immeasurably lightened that burden.

All our friends in the Colonial Office must today be proud of their handiwork and in the knowledge that they have helped to lay the foundations of a lasting friendship between our two nations. I have indeed every confidence that, based on the happy experience of a successful partnership, our future relations with the United Kingdom will be more cordial than ever, bound together, as we shall be in the Commonwealth, by a common allegiance to Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth, whom today we proudly acclaim as Queen of Nigeria and Head of the Commonwealth.

Time will not permit the individual mention of all those friends, many of them Nigerians, whose selfless labours have contributed to our Independence. Some have not lived to see the fulfilment of their hopes—on them be peace—but nevertheless they are remembered here, and the names of buildings and streets and roads and bridges throughout the country recall to our minds their achievements, some of them on a national scale. Others confined, perhaps, to a small area in one Division, are more humble but of equal value in the sum-total.

Today, we have with us representatives of those who have made Nigeria: Representatives of the Regional Governments, of former Central Governments, of the Missionary Societies, and of the Banking and Commercial enterprises, and members, both past and present, of the Public Service. We welcome you, and we rejoice that you have been able to come and share in our celebrations. We wish that it could have been possible for all of those whom you represent to be here today: Many, I know, will be disappointed to be absent, but if they are listening to me now, I say to them: ‘Thank you on behalf of my Thank you for your devoted service which helped build up Nigeria into a nation. Today we are reaping the harvest which you sowed, and the quality of the harvest is equalled only by our gratitude to you. May God bless you all.

This is an occasion when our hearts are filled with conflicting emotions: we are, indeed, proud to have achieved our independence, and proud that our efforts should have contributed to this happy event. But do not mistake our pride for arrogance. It is tempered by feelings of sincere gratitude to all who have shared in the task of developing Nigeria politically, socially and economically. We are grateful to the British officers whom we have known, first as masters, and then as leaders, and finally as partners, but always as friends. And there have been countless missionaries who have laboured unceasingly in the cause of education and to whom we owe many of our medical services. We are grateful also to those who have brought modern methods of banking and of commerce, and new industries. I wish to pay tribute to all of these people and to declare our everlasting admiration of their devotion to duty.

And, finally, I must express our gratitude to Her Royal Highness the Princess Alexandra of Kent for personally bringing to us these symbols of our freedom, and especially for delivering the gracious message from Her Majesty The Queen. And so, with the words ‘God Save Our Queen’, I open a new chapter in the history of Nigeria, and of the Commonwealth, and indeed of the world.

Sources:

Sir Abubakar Tafawa Balewa, Mr. Prime Minister: A Selection of Speeches Made by Alhaji the Right Honourable Sir Abubakar Tafawa Balewa, K.B.E., M.P., Prime Minister of the Federal Republic of Nigeria (Apapa: Nigerian National Press, Ltd., 1964).

11 Likes

Re: Abubakar Tafawa Balewa 1st Independence Day Speech & Pictures by bigt2(m): 10:35pm On Sep 30, 2013
Independence; we have much to celebrate and yet not much to celebrate! Hmmmmmmmmmmmm, End time tins!

1 Like

Re: Abubakar Tafawa Balewa 1st Independence Day Speech & Pictures by wasak(m): 10:47pm On Sep 30, 2013
hmmmn...those girls in school uniform back then are now great grandmas... time time time
Re: Abubakar Tafawa Balewa 1st Independence Day Speech & Pictures by Consultville(m): 10:53pm On Sep 30, 2013
wasak: hmmmn...those girls in school uniform back then are now great grandmas... time time time

na true talk o

Re: Abubakar Tafawa Balewa 1st Independence Day Speech & Pictures by SBJoji(m): 11:06pm On Sep 30, 2013
I wish I was alive back den
Re: Abubakar Tafawa Balewa 1st Independence Day Speech & Pictures by assu2013(m): 11:30pm On Sep 30, 2013
Men see speech that time wooo I beg can our mistake president make such speech I did nt think with d chat of yesterday.let's try n vote a president nt miss road gej

4 Likes

Re: Abubakar Tafawa Balewa 1st Independence Day Speech & Pictures by Nobody: 12:37am On Oct 01, 2013
assu2013: if I call u fool it wil look as if I say something good to someone more than fool lik u,u shal be happy he wear a compelete african dress n be happy wit d best speech u hav seen in ur life n ur generation born n unborn
Another fool deceived by the phrase "one nigeria" The same phrase that has continued to put your kinsmen to their early grave since 1960undecided
Re: Abubakar Tafawa Balewa 1st Independence Day Speech & Pictures by Nobody: 9:15am On Oct 01, 2013
53 years ago, Nigeria became independent from Britain.

53 years on,Millions of Nigerians continue to run back to Britain to live.

Where we better off in the Colonial Era?

3 Likes

Re: Abubakar Tafawa Balewa 1st Independence Day Speech & Pictures by Nipules(m): 9:16am On Oct 01, 2013
Excuse me, but was this thread brought to front page on 1st october, 2012?
Re: Abubakar Tafawa Balewa 1st Independence Day Speech & Pictures by Oziddy: 9:17am On Oct 01, 2013
one Nigeria, we believe, we live, we survive. i love my country.

2 Likes

Re: Abubakar Tafawa Balewa 1st Independence Day Speech & Pictures by Nipules(m): 9:17am On Oct 01, 2013
jackbauerspower: 53 years ago, Nigeria became independent from Britain.

53 years on,Millions of Nigerians continue to run back to Britain to live.

Where we better off in the Colonial Era?
dude don vex deactivate his account. Lmao
Re: Abubakar Tafawa Balewa 1st Independence Day Speech & Pictures by Nobody: 9:18am On Oct 01, 2013
Nipules: dude don vex deactivate his account. Lmao

Dammit...So my name still dey show? angry
Re: Abubakar Tafawa Balewa 1st Independence Day Speech & Pictures by Bams95: 9:19am On Oct 01, 2013
Space booked.
Re: Abubakar Tafawa Balewa 1st Independence Day Speech & Pictures by ichommy(m): 9:21am On Oct 01, 2013
Wow, Nice.
Re: Abubakar Tafawa Balewa 1st Independence Day Speech & Pictures by coolestboy(m): 9:23am On Oct 01, 2013
I love my country NIGERIA.
Like diz post if u believe in NIGERIA.

6 Likes

Re: Abubakar Tafawa Balewa 1st Independence Day Speech & Pictures by dridowu: 9:23am On Oct 01, 2013
That was when Nigeria is still UNITED by heart and mouth.
Now Nigeria is UNITED only by mouth not by heart.
God bless founding Fathers of Nigeria.
God bless Nigeria
Re: Abubakar Tafawa Balewa 1st Independence Day Speech & Pictures by Nobody: 9:23am On Oct 01, 2013
This is on FP but the one GEJ spoke today is still lying in obscurity? Okay O.
Re: Abubakar Tafawa Balewa 1st Independence Day Speech & Pictures by demolaxy: 9:23am On Oct 01, 2013
Compare his speech to now. All of them have been clueless. Goodluck just wasted his time. How can he have the heart to celebrate when people are dying. People will keep dying, don't get me wrong but more are dying because of him and his nonchalance plus an I don't care attitude.
Anyway, God bless Nigeria.

Check My Signature.

1 Like

Re: Abubakar Tafawa Balewa 1st Independence Day Speech & Pictures by juman(m): 9:25am On Oct 01, 2013
And, finally, I must express our gratitude to Her Royal Highness the Princess Alexandra of Kent for personally bringing to us these symbols of our freedom, and especially for delivering the gracious message from Her Majesty The Queen. And so, with the words ‘God Save Our Queen’, I open a new chapter in the history of Nigeria, and of the Commonwealth, and indeed of the world.

God Save Our Queen.
Re: Abubakar Tafawa Balewa 1st Independence Day Speech & Pictures by JABB(m): 9:28am On Oct 01, 2013
grin grin
SB Joji: I wish I was alive back den
grin
SB Joji: I wish I was alive back den
That means you are dead now.

1 Like

Re: Abubakar Tafawa Balewa 1st Independence Day Speech & Pictures by abduldope(m): 9:29am On Oct 01, 2013
wasted Nation
Re: Abubakar Tafawa Balewa 1st Independence Day Speech & Pictures by Judolisco(m): 9:30am On Oct 01, 2013
9ja 4 life love dis country no matter wat
Re: Abubakar Tafawa Balewa 1st Independence Day Speech & Pictures by Nobody: 9:31am On Oct 01, 2013
assu2013: Men see speech that time wooo I beg can our mistake president make such speech I did nt think with d chat of yesterday.let's try n vote a president nt miss road gej
Abeg, toss your prejudice in the bin. Despite the claim of "independence " See how his speech is riddled with syncophancy to the Brits and their Queen.
Apart from the portion about looking forward and planning this day for long, There is no single phrase in this speech that made me nod my head with feeling..The speech is quite bland..

2 Likes

Re: Abubakar Tafawa Balewa 1st Independence Day Speech & Pictures by Mikkyhandy(m): 9:32am On Oct 01, 2013
I cant even say if I'm happy or sad for the Independent.....
Re: Abubakar Tafawa Balewa 1st Independence Day Speech & Pictures by Nobody: 9:32am On Oct 01, 2013
We had good leaders until....
Re: Abubakar Tafawa Balewa 1st Independence Day Speech & Pictures by bola4dprec(m): 9:33am On Oct 01, 2013
Idi Amin: Just look at how my first prime minister dressed like a fulani herdsmen in an important occasion like that. Aboki is indeed a disgrace to this nation. GEJ, abeg divide Naija. Enough of all these boko h*aram people in this country undecided
As prime minister, Tafawa Balewa developed a favorable reputation in international circles. He was considered a pro-Western leader he never involved in fraud or embezzlement in view of this allow him to dress the way he likes you can never force him to dress like Americans because they never embraced our culture

13 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

Boko-Haram: Jonathan Spent N2.2bn On Prayers / IPOB Are Bringing Embarrasment To The Igbo Race. / It Is Wrong To Lump Middle Belt With The North ―ASOMBEN Chairman

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.