Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,487 members, 7,954,875 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 11:27 AM

Nigerians Executed In Indonesia - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Nigerians Executed In Indonesia (4044 Views)

18 Nigerians To Be Executed In Indonesia Today (monday, 04, 2013) / Nigerians Executed In Indonesia / Nigerians Executed In Indonesia (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerians Executed In Indonesia by landis(m): 11:47am On Jun 27, 2008
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asia-pacific/7477101.stm

Two Nigerian convicts have been executed in Indonesia, seven years after being caught trying to smuggle heroin into the country.

Samuel Okoye and Hansen Nwaolisa were executed by firing squad in the early hours of Friday, officials said.

The executions were timed to mark the UN anti-drugs day, Indonesia's anti-narcotics agency reportedly said.

Drug traffickers are often sentenced to death in Indonesia, but the penalty has not been carried out since 2004.

The two men, aged 37 and 40, have been held at a high-security prison on Nusakambangan island, central Java, since their conviction for trying to smuggle some 7kg (16lb) of heroin into Indonesia.

"A firing squad of 12 people executed them in an outdoor area some 3km [2 miles] away from their prison," provincial prisons chief Bambang Winahyo told AFP news agency.

The two had made pleas for clemency to the president in 2004, but they were turned down.

Let see what FG would do about this.

We should immediately cut all ties with INDONESIA

We should send travel warning to Nigerians: If you have Nigerian passport, don't go INDONESIA.

We should set-up 'NGO', and use this as proxy to do all the dirty war.

We should place SANCTION on them and bully all AFRICAN countries to follow; they need our money, banks etc.

We should have ENEMY ACT' bill, and put such country on the LIST

We should have PARENT/FRIEND LIABILITY bill; parents/friends are also partly responsible. It becomes criminal offence if you know your friend is doing this and you don't report it.

We must put these COUNTRIES under consistent pressure.
grin cheesy grin

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Executed In Indonesia by Bolarge(m): 11:59am On Jun 27, 2008
landis:

We should send travel warning to Nigerians: If you have Nigerian passport, don't go INDONESIA.

We should place SANCTION on them and bully all AFRICAN countries to follow; they need our money, banks etc.

We should have PARENT/FRIEND LIABILITY bill; parents/friends are also partly responsible. It becomes criminal offence if you know your friend is doing this and you don't report it.

grin cheesy grin

Arrant nonsense. No disrespect intended.
If they were accorded the appropriate punitive measures as stipulated by the Indonesian constitution, then so be it.
Re: Nigerians Executed In Indonesia by landis(m): 12:30pm On Jun 27, 2008
Bolarge:

Arrant nonsense. No disrespect intended.
If they were accorded the appropriate punitive measures as stipulated by the Indonesian constitution, then so be it.

did you read BOLD in my quote?

You think if these guys are EU/US would dare such??

The australian girl was freed. so what constitution.

grin cheesy grin

It would be harder to come across anyone in Australia who does not know about Schapelle Corby, the 27-year-old convicted, and sentenced to 20 years, by an Indonesian court for smuggling drugs into Bali in her boogie board bag
Re: Nigerians Executed In Indonesia by Bolarge(m): 12:34pm On Jun 27, 2008
I still stand by my statement:
Clemency in any case will then be the sole prerogative of the Indonesian government not a right.
Re: Nigerians Executed In Indonesia by noetic(m): 12:39pm On Jun 27, 2008
Bolarge:

Clemency in any case will then be the sole prerogative of the Indonesian government not a right.
seconded

And only a responsible nigerian government can diplomatically appeal to the ego of the indonesians.
Re: Nigerians Executed In Indonesia by globalaid(m): 1:05pm On Jun 27, 2008
what are you talking about, it is time we started respect other people constitution and their ways of life, nobody force them there they know the implication before venturing there.
Re: Nigerians Executed In Indonesia by landis(m): 1:10pm On Jun 27, 2008
what are you talking about,  it is time we started respect other people constitution and their ways of life, nobody force them there they know the implication before venturing there.

and why was the australian girl not KILLED?

yeah.

so that right of clemency does not apply when its BLACKMAN??
Re: Nigerians Executed In Indonesia by blacksta(m): 1:16pm On Jun 27, 2008
Any government will choose to give clemency depending on the severity of the offence but on this case it is the death penalty. You do the crime means you are going serve the term when caught
Re: Nigerians Executed In Indonesia by noetic(m): 1:21pm On Jun 27, 2008
landis:

so that right of clemency does not apply when its BLACKMAN??

stop being nepotical and racist.

y should a blackman carry drugs to a whiteman's land?
Re: Nigerians Executed In Indonesia by landis(m): 1:53pm On Jun 27, 2008
blacksta:

Any government will choose to give clemency depending on the severity of the offence but on this case it is the death penalty. You do the crime means you are going serve the term when caught

AGREED but why is the Aussie Girl not killed but the naija were killed for same offence?

It would be harder to come across anyone in Australia who does not know about Schapelle Corby, the 27-year-old convicted, and sentenced to 20 years, by an Indonesian court for smuggling drugs into Bali in her boogie board bag

y should a blackman carry drugs to a whiteman's land?

last time I check, Indonesia is in ASIA.

As you treat yourself , so would others treat you. If Aussie Govt use all means to put pressure on the Indonesians, I see no reason, we cant apply same measures.
Re: Nigerians Executed In Indonesia by noetic(m): 1:56pm On Jun 27, 2008
landis:

As you treat yourself , so would others treat you. If Aussie Govt use all means to put pressure on the Indonesians, I see no reason, [b]we [/b]can't apply same measures.

good point. and who is we?. is it not yaradua?
Re: Nigerians Executed In Indonesia by blacksta(m): 3:36pm On Jun 27, 2008
landis:

AGREED but why is the Aussie Girl not killed but the naija were killed for same offence?

As you treat yourself , so would others treat you. If Aussie Govt use all means to put pressure on the Indonesians, I see no reason, we can't apply same measures.

landis:

No doubt . please bear in mind where have two diferent scenarios here the aussie was a drug user and she was caught with smaller quantity for personal use while the nigeria men were drug peddlers another name Barons - selling drugs to enrich themeselves
Re: Nigerians Executed In Indonesia by Kobojunkie: 6:03pm On Jun 27, 2008
Not all indonesians are white for those trying to claim race has a role to play in here. And it would do us good to compare this to the number of indonesians, men and women, executed each year under the same laws. Even Singapore is brutal.
Re: Nigerians Executed In Indonesia by tpia: 6:15pm On Jun 27, 2008
landis:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asia-pacific/7477101.stm

grin cheesy grin

The two people were executed and you see it as a joking matter? Na wa for you oh. undecided undecided undecided

anyway, the Nigerian govt appealed for clemency in may this year, to no avail.

http://odili.net/news/source/2008/may/31/5.html

THE Federal Government has appealed to the Republic ofIndonesia to temper justice with mercy and halt the planned execution of two Nigerians held on allegation of drug trafficking in that country.

As at press time, the names of the two Nigerians were not made available.

The government made the appeal in Abuja yesterday when the Indonesian Ambassador, Nurhadi Djazuli, paid an official visit on the Minister of Foreign Affairs, Chief Ojo Madueke.

Madueke said Nigeria condemns any form of law breaking by its citizens anywhere in the world but called on the government of Indonesia to

Commute the charges and give room for their rehabilitation back home in Nigeria.

While stating that Nigeria was not in a position to pass comment or judgment on any country that imposes the death penalty on drug trafficking, Maduekwe appealed to the Indonesian President to

commute the sentences in the spirit of the over 50 years of diplomatic relations between the two countries.

The minister used the opportunity to also admonish Nigerians living in other countries to obey the laws of their host countries, stressing: "If you go to countries that have death sentence for drug trafficking, you have to realise that you don't violate the laws of these countries".

He noted that there has been a breakdown of family values leading to the collapse of morals in the traditional and religious systems.

Maduekwe disclosed that the ministry was collaborating with other stakeholders with cognate experience to embark on a sensitization workshop to educate Nigerians on the dangers of engaging in unwholesome activities in foreign countries.

The workshop will be used to appeal to Nigerians to always be law abiding when they travel out of the country.

He challenged leaders at all community levels to address the issues of drug trafficking, prostitution and financial fraud.

Though knowing Landis and other bad belle people like him on nairaland, they're probably popping champagne in celebration of the execution. undecided undecided
Re: Nigerians Executed In Indonesia by RedHotChic(f): 10:46pm On Jun 27, 2008
The two people were executed and you see it as a joking matter?
It's not a laughing matter but if they were guilty, so be it.
Re: Nigerians Executed In Indonesia by tpia: 3:49pm On Jun 28, 2008
RedHotChic:

It's not a laughing matter but if they were guilty, so be it.

what if you went to Indonesia with your boyfriend, and he planted drugs in your suitcase which were then discovered by officials? Would you still support the death penalty for offenders?

watch Bridget Jones-The edge of reason. It does happen in real life as well.

I dont think the executions were simply to deter crime. I feel there's a political undertone to all this.
Re: Nigerians Executed In Indonesia by darfur(m): 6:57pm On Jun 28, 2008
australian girl freed

nigerians executed. . .

someone said their offence is different, can the person show me the indonesian law(s) that says if the quantity is small or for personal use there will be different punishments? was the girl freed? or her sentence commuted? if she was freed good for her, but the naijans might have at least had their sentence reduced to life imprisonment.

well, it's all the same pattern. no disrespect for indonesian laws, but the pattern here may not really be about skin color but that of ''reasonable'' country vs 'yeye country' . xenophobia in SA attacked people from certain type of countries. hmmm

i'm not sure it is necessary for me to write about the culpability of the 2 guys. it is incontrovertible. no debate.

however i must note the difference in treatment based on the ''color'' of their passports. if we ''arrange'' our country well, we get better respect and when we beg for our citizens abroad, we may be listenned to.

advice to nigerians travelling. with your passport and skin color, you are already guilty of an imaginary offence. so we must go the extra mile to show we are honest travellers all the time.

may their souls rest in peace. and may other nigerians learn from their lesson
Re: Nigerians Executed In Indonesia by RedHotChic(f): 7:40am On Jun 29, 2008
australian girl freed

nigerians executed. . .

someone said their offence is different, can the person show me the indonesian law(s) that says if the quantity is small or for personal use there will be different punishments? was the girl freed? or her sentence commuted? if she was freed good for her, but the naijans might have at least had their sentence reduced to life imprisonment.
Probably. They have similar laws here in the US. Your punishment is dependent on the quantity you are carrying. There may not be any capital punishment for drug offenses in the US but those that were busted with a commercial quantity usually go in for a long time.
Re: Nigerians Executed In Indonesia by Nobody: 9:49pm On Jun 29, 2008
darfur:

australian girl freed

nigerians executed. . .

well, it's all the same pattern. no disrespect for indonesian laws, but the pattern here may not really be about skin color but that of ''reasonable'' country vs 'yeye country' . xenophobia in SA attacked people from certain type of countries. hmmm

i'm not sure it is necessary for me to write about the culpability of the 2 guys. it is incontrovertible. no debate.

however i must note the difference in treatment based on the ''color'' of their passports. if we ''arrange'' our country well, we get better respect and when we beg for our citizens abroad, we may be listenned to.
advice to nigerians travelling. with your passport and skin color, you are already guilty of an imaginary offence. so we must go the extra mile to show we are honest travellers all the time.

may their souls rest in peace. and may other nigerians learn from their lesson

True.
Re: Nigerians Executed In Indonesia by Nobody: 10:23am On Jun 30, 2008
Why take the risk of smuggling drugs in to a country whose stand on drug peddling is crystal clear? It's about time we stop using racism as an excuse because it's not a good one. If you know you're not wanted somewhere, don't go there or better still, obey their laws! After all, they say those who are not wanted in a gathering should not start songs! They killed two thais in 2004, some Australians are still on death row. . . me think Nigerians should be responsible for their indiscriminate acts once in a while and stop heaping blames on the government!

RedHotChic:

Probably. They have similar laws here in the US. Your punishment is dependent on the quantity you are carrying. There may not be any capital punishment for drug offenses in the US but those that were busted with a commercial quantity usually go in for a long time.

You're right, I think the punishment is proportional to the quantity, not sure but looks like it.

landis:

Why were the two Thai guys executed in 2004?

The Aussie girl that made headlines was caught trying to smuggle weed into Indonesia and she got  over 10 years with hard labor. . .  Had she brought in Cocaine or Heroine, she would probably have been given the death penalty. Another one is the Aussie girl arrested with the Bali nine, me think she got 13 years or so.

If at all there’s a racist undertone to the executions, my advice is: stay away from countries that give death penalty for drug trafficking!

Just for for the the record, I am strongly against death penalty!!!
Re: Nigerians Executed In Indonesia by Mustay(m): 10:25am On Jun 30, 2008
@ CANDY WHAT ELSE CAN i SAY?

Study the rules before going to a country please!

Ignorance is no excuse under the law
Re: Nigerians Executed In Indonesia by darfur(m): 3:21pm On Jul 01, 2008
candy:

my advice is: stay away from countries that give death penalty for drug trafficking!

Just for for the the record, I am strongly against death penalty!!!

after watching saddam's execution on youtube, i'm not sure i favour the death penalty anymore.

by the way candy, good advice. keep away from countries that give death penalty for drug trafficking . . .

better advice . . . keep away from drugs (usage or trafficking)

__________darfur cool
Re: Nigerians Executed In Indonesia by faoni572(m): 9:45am On Jul 15, 2008
Why take the risk of smuggling drugs in to a country whose stand on drug peddling is crystal clear? It's about time we stop using racism as an excuse because it's not a good one. If you know you're not wanted somewhere, don't go there or better still, obey their laws! After all, they say those who are not wanted in a gathering should not start songs! They killed two thais in 2004, some Australians are still on death row. . . me think Nigerians should be responsible for their indiscriminate acts once in a while and stop heaping blames on the government!

Respect the rules of the country you are going to save yourself from any problems.
Re: Nigerians Executed In Indonesia by RichyBlacK(m): 11:00am On Jul 15, 2008
I've always been against the death penalty. But, sometimes I wonder what my fellow Nigerians are looking for in clearly racist countries in Asia. Many Asians are extremely racist towards blacks! It is only when the oyinbo man show them pepper that they begin to review their position.
Re: Nigerians Executed In Indonesia by lucabrasi(m): 11:48pm On Jul 16, 2008
blacksta:

No doubt . please bear in mind where have two diferent scenarios here the aussie was a drug user and she was caught with smaller quantity for personal use while the nigeria men were drug peddlers another name Barons - selling drugs to enrich themeselves
apart from that ,to add to your comment,there is something called "criminal profiling" before a country anywhere in the world will grant clemency,they will look at the any preceding cases of similar offence from the country in question,an aussie drug mule to indonasia is not a regular occurence , so the girl will be more believable even if she knowingly did commit the offnce,while an average nigerian who even was not aware will have a very hard time convincing not just the indonesians but anyone at all that he is innocent,so i think theres little the government could have done under the circumstances
@poster
we dont need to boycott indonesia e.tc like the b.a issue because they are two totally diffrent issues for the reason i have given above

(1) (Reply)

Why Do Blacks Disrespect Ben Carson? / Oscar Pristorius Murder Scene Bloody Photos Surface (graphic) / Longest Sniper Kill Ever, Canadian Soldier Kill ISIS Fighter From 2.1mile Away

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.