Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,702 members, 7,809,666 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 12:45 PM

Please! My Camry 1998 Ac, Help! - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Please! My Camry 1998 Ac, Help! (1448 Views)

My Camry 2008 A/c / Rattling Sound On My Camry With 2AZFE Engine / My Camry 99 V6 Emits Black Smoke Pls Help (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Please! My Camry 1998 Ac, Help! by winzy(m): 11:35am On Oct 01, 2013
My Camry 1998 Produces Foul smell whenever i switch the AC on, smells like a dead rat or something, i have washed the engine but still persists, any suggestion and help will be appreciated..... Thanks in advance! Sorry for ma previous mistake, I don't know the rules, pls...can you help now?
Re: Please! My Camry 1998 Ac, Help! by Ikenna351(m): 11:57am On Oct 01, 2013
winzy: MY CAMRY 1998 PRODUCES FOUL SMELL WHENEVER I SWITCH THE AC ON, SMELLS LIKE A DEAD RAT OR SOMETHING, I HAVE WASHED THE ENGINE BUT STILL PERSISTS, ANY SUGGESTION AND HELP WILL BE APPRECIATED..... THANKS IN ADVANCE.

Please, modify your post. It violates the rule 11 of the forum. I will be forced to enforce the rule next time I visit this thread. Thanks.

Moderator.

3 Likes

Re: Please! My Camry 1998 Ac, Help! by Nobody: 12:03pm On Oct 01, 2013
Ikenna351:

Please, modify your post. It violates the rule 11 of the forum. I will be forced to enforce the rule next time I visit this thread. Thanks.

Moderator.

Seconded!
Re: Please! My Camry 1998 Ac, Help! by winzy(m): 2:02pm On Oct 01, 2013
am sorry, whats rule 11? pls
Re: Please! My Camry 1998 Ac, Help! by Nobody: 2:16pm On Oct 01, 2013
winzy: am sorry, whats rule 11? pls

Seems like you are a newbie, well, we have rules and regulations guiding how we do things on Nairaland, just like God's 10 commandment to Israel thru Moses but ours is Oga Seun's Nairaland 21 commandments to ALL nairaland members (you and I) which is effected by Moderators and Spambots.

The rule 11 states. "Don't create distracting posts e.g.
posts in giant fonts or ALL CAPS or with
silly gifs." Which you infringed upon.
Re: Please! My Camry 1998 Ac, Help! by ziccoit: 2:24pm On Oct 01, 2013
winzy: am sorry, whats rule 11? pls

11. Don't create distracting posts
e.g. posts in giant fonts or ALL
CAPS or with silly gifs.
Re: Please! My Camry 1998 Ac, Help! by Ikenna351(m): 8:31pm On Oct 01, 2013
Op,

The smell is likely coming from your AC evaporator. That's the only AC component i can think of that could cause that. Probably, caused by bacteria that formed on the evaporator.

I don't know if the problem is peculiar to Toyota, but i do know i have not experienced it in any of my Peugeots or heard of such issue in Peugeots. I could be wrong, though. But i have read a lot of similar complaints from other brands.

The best way of removing the odour is to bring out and wash the evaporator off the car. But trust me, evaporator is not something you would want to tamper with.

But i believe if the car has auto climate control and you have been making use of it, this problem wouldn't have started, i think. As long as air is passing through the fins of the evaporator, it will always remain with, if the pollen filter is clean and doing it's work. My windows dont come down. The blower is always on. When weather is cold enough, i use the outside air and switch off the compressor. When the outside temperature gets hotter, the compressor comes on. I don't recall the last time i have cleaned inside my cars, since the windows are permanently closed/up, that is, no room for dust to enter inside the car.

Anyway, if you have some bacteria spray killer or something of that nature, spray into the face vents on the dashboard. Also, get to the engine, pull out the pollen filter, switch on the blower (AC or compressor off) and spray in the whatever you have that can kill bacteria, while the blower is on. It will suck the spray and push them onto the AC evaporator.

If it's smells like freon, you should know. In that case, the AC will stop chilling when the gas gets low.

I can't think of any other thing that could cause that. Let's hope others have better solution(s). Good luck.

Ikenna.
Re: Please! My Camry 1998 Ac, Help! by cardoctor(m): 12:03am On Oct 02, 2013
winzy: My Camry 1998 Produces Foul smell whenever i switch the AC on, smells like a dead rat or something, i have washed the engine but still persists, any suggestion and help will be appreciated..... Thanks in advance! Sorry for ma previous mistake, I don't know the rules, pls...can you help now?

Aside from Ikenna's suggestions, you may probably be really dealing with a rodent that got trapped inside your ac blower motor and died as a result of possible contact with the blower motor fan blades or grille (I have seen that happen before).

Rodents, especially rats, would find their way into nooks and crannies of your car engine and vents to build nests and it would be of no surprise to me if one has actually done that. That smell is very distinct and unmistakable and if you think it is then it may actually be.

You could simply start by removing your glove box cover and gain access to the blower motor and its housing to see if anything foreign or strange may be there. A bit of a tricky job but if it proves too difficult then I would advise that you contact an ac technician nearest to you to investigate further.

Car-Doctor.
Re: Please! My Camry 1998 Ac, Help! by winzy(m): 11:05am On Oct 03, 2013
thanks, IK...sorry about this but where is the pollen filter located, google is not helping...
Ikenna351: Op,

The smell is likely coming from your AC evaporator. That's the only AC component i can think of that could cause that. Probably, caused by bacteria that formed on the evaporator.

I don't know if the problem is peculiar to Toyota, but i do know i have not experienced it in any of my Peugeots or heard of such issue in Peugeots. I could be wrong, though. But i have read a lot of similar complaints from other brands.

The best way of removing the odour is to bring out and wash the evaporator off the car. But trust me, evaporator is not something you would want to tamper with.

But i believe if the car has auto climate control and you have been making use of it, this problem wouldn't have started, i think. As long as air is passing through the fins of the evaporator, it will always remain with, if the pollen filter is clean and doing it's work. My windows dont come down. The blower is always on. When weather is cold enough, i use the outside air and switch off the compressor. When the outside temperature gets hotter, the compressor comes on. I don't recall the last time i have cleaned inside my cars, since the windows are permanently closed/up, that is, no room for dust to enter inside the car.

Anyway, if you have some bacteria spray killer or something of that nature, spray into the face vents on the dashboard. Also, get to the engine, pull out the pollen filter, switch on the blower (AC or compressor off) and spray in the whatever you have that can kill bacteria, while the blower is on. It will suck the spray and push them onto the AC evaporator.

If it's smells like freon, you should know. In that case, the AC will stop chilling when the gas gets low.

I can't think of any other thing that could cause that. Let's hope others have better solution(s). Good luck.

Ikenna.
Re: Please! My Camry 1998 Ac, Help! by winzy(m): 11:11am On Oct 03, 2013
aii, thanks, dr... can i do that by myself? do i have to remove it entirely?
car-doctor:

Aside from Ikenna's suggestions, you may probably be really dealing with a rodent that got trapped inside your ac blower motor and died as a result of possible contact with the blower motor fan blades or grille (I have seen that happen before).

Rodents, especially rats, would find their way into nooks and crannies of your car engine and vents to build nests and it would be of no surprise to me if one has actually done that. That smell is very distinct and unmistakable and if you think it is then it may actually be.

You could simply start by removing your glove box cover and gain access to the blower motor and its housing to see if anything foreign or strange may be there. A bit of a tricky job but if it proves too difficult then I would advise that you contact an ac technician nearest to you to investigate further.

Car-Doctor.
Re: Please! My Camry 1998 Ac, Help! by winzy(m): 12:31pm On Oct 06, 2013
Thanks people! It has been ratified, a rat died in my car's evaporator, it has been ratified and gas refilled but another problem came up, the car ac light is blinking, d ac chills and goes off...dunno what the problem is now, thanks in a nticipation

(1) (Reply)

Mercedez Benz Nigeria Police Car / 2004 Honda Accord Rear Wheel Wobbles / ECU Replacement And Finding A Programer

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.