Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,161,330 members, 7,846,462 topics. Date: Friday, 31 May 2024 at 04:41 PM

Jay-z: "I Learnt Business Skills Selling Crack Cocaine" - Celebrities - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / Jay-z: "I Learnt Business Skills Selling Crack Cocaine" (1119 Views)

'crack Cocaine Has Taken Over Lagos' - Davido's Hype Man Specialspesh Cries Out / Basketmouth Shares Very Hilarious Photo That Will Crack You Up / Baba Suwe Excretes 16 Pellets Of Cocaine, Cries Like Baby (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Jay-z: "I Learnt Business Skills Selling Crack Cocaine" by 9jaflave: 7:54pm On Oct 01, 2013
http://9jaflave..com/2013/10/jay-z-i-learnt-business-skills-selling-crack-cocaine.html

43 year old hip hop mogul Jay Z (Shawn Carter), one of the richest men in the music industry, has admitted he got his business skills from drug dealing. He said selling crack cocaine on the streets of New York during the 1980s gave him the skills to succeed later in life.

'I know about budgets. I was a drug dealer.' To be in a drug deal, you need to know what you can spend, what you need to re-up. Or if you want to start some sort of barbershop or car wash—those were the businesses back then. Things you can get in easily to get out of [that] life.'

Jay Z has never hidden his past as a drug dealer before he found fame and fortune as a rapper, and then a music producer. I'd say he's lucky to get out of dealing in drugs alive.

He told Vanity Fair magazine he was part of the crack cocaine epidemic that blighted the streets of New York and was responsible for hundreds of deaths. Jay Z said he now regrets being part of the drug problem but said at the time he was only thinking about the money.

Jay Z says that his mother knew he was dealing drugs as a teenager, “but we never really had those conversations. We just pretty much ignored it. But she knew. All the mothers knew. It sounds like ‘How could you let your son . . . ’ but I'm telling you, it was normal.”

While he was growing up, Jay Z says they did the best they could to make ends meet:
“We were living in a tough situation, but my mother managed; she juggled. Sometimes we'd pay the light bill, sometimes we paid the phone, sometimes the gas went off. We weren't starving—we were eating, we were O.K. But it was things like you didn't want to be embarrassed when you went to school; you didn't want to have dirty sneakers or wear the same clothes over again.”

Jay Z says, “crack was everywhere—it was inescapable. There wasn't any place you could go for isolation or a break. You go in the hallway; [there are] crackheads in the hallway. You look out in the puddles on the curbs—crack vials are littered in the side of the curbs. You could smell it in the hallways, that putrid smell; I can't explain it, but it’s still in my mind when I think about it.”

Jay Z tells Vanity Fair he sold crack but never used it, and when asked if he ever felt guilty about contributing to what was becoming an epidemic, he says:

'Not until later, when I realised the effects on the community,' he said. 'I started looking at the community on the whole, but in the beginning no.
'I was thinking about surviving. I was thinking about improving my situation. I was thinking about buying clothes.'

Jay Z, real name Shawn Carter, started his career as a rapper before becoming one of the most influential forces in hip hop music. In 2008 he married Beyonce and the couple have an 18-month-old child Blue Ivy. The pair are the richest couple in the music business with an estimated fortune of more than $750million between them.

Jay Z told the October issue of the magazine that the most important plan a drug dealer can have is to get out of the business.

'You have to have an exit strategy, because your window(for dealing drugs) is very small. You're going to get locked up or you're going to die.'

On a happier note, Jay Z revealed his daughter has become his biggest cheerleader after hearing his latest album Magna Carta... Holy Grail.

'She loves all the songs. She plays a song and she goes, "More, Daddy, more... Daddy song." She’s my biggest fan,' he said. 'If no one bought the Magna Carta [album], the fact that she loves it so much, it gives me the greatest joy.
'And that’s not like a cliché. I'm really serious. She’s genuine, she’s honest, because she doesn't know it makes me happy. She just wants to hear it.'
Admitting 'of course' he pursued Beyonce, Jay maintains he would have charmed her even if he had been working a 'normal job' and not been a famous hip hop star.

'If I'm as cool as I am, yes. But she’s a charming Southern girl, you know, she’s not impressed... But I would have definitely had to be this cool.'

He also confirms that the line on his latest album: 'She was a good girl ’til she knew me' is about his wife. When quizzed if she is no longer a 'good girl', Jay-Z responds: 'Nah. She’s gangsta now.' Kindly drop comments on 9jaFlave too grin

http://9jaflave..com/2013/10/jay-z-i-learnt-business-skills-selling-crack-cocaine.html

Re: Jay-z: "I Learnt Business Skills Selling Crack Cocaine" by tellwisdom: 11:07pm On Oct 01, 2013
undecided
Re: Jay-z: "I Learnt Business Skills Selling Crack Cocaine" by Adex097: 11:46pm On Oct 01, 2013
I LOVE JAY Z !!!!! grin
Re: Jay-z: "I Learnt Business Skills Selling Crack Cocaine" by Beezally(f): 8:07am On Oct 02, 2013
ℓ̊ love u guys
Who said beyonce wasn't preggy
That baby is jayz
Re: Jay-z: "I Learnt Business Skills Selling Crack Cocaine" by HezronLorraine(m): 8:35am On Oct 02, 2013
Everyone has a past that is either ugly or good.
Re: Jay-z: "I Learnt Business Skills Selling Crack Cocaine" by HezronLorraine(m): 8:37am On Oct 02, 2013
Beezally: ℓ̊ love u guys
Who said beyonce wasn't preggy
That baby is jayz
google surrogacy.there are chances someone else carried the baby for her.it was her egg obviously,but if the rumours be through,someone else carried her child.

(1) (Reply)

I Dont Allow Movie Producers Sleep With Actress- Emeka Ike / Kanye Defends Bringing Jesus Look-alike On Stage / 2face Is Indomitable In The Nigerian Music Industry

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.