Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,741 members, 7,820,549 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 05:01 PM

Samsung Cheats Again In Note 3 Benchmarks - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Samsung Cheats Again In Note 3 Benchmarks (1589 Views)

A Thread For Benchmarks... / Iphone 5 Most Powerful Phone Out, Beats Galaxy S III - Anandtech Benchmarks / 3d Graphics Benchmarks: Iphone Vs N95 Vs P1i Vs Dell Axim X51v (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Samsung Cheats Again In Note 3 Benchmarks by Dabss(m): 6:26am On Oct 02, 2013
The Samsung Galaxy S4 was caught ramping up its GPU clock speed when running a benchmark, so naturally the Galaxy Note 3 was under suspicion too. Thanks to some excellent detective work by Ars Technica, now we have a confirmation.
The Samsung Galaxy Note 3 N9005 (the Snapdragon 800) version was tested against the LG G2 (same chipset) and it came out well ahead, even though the internals are identical.
Using a CPU monitor, Ars found out that certain benchmarks are detected and the CPU is put on full throttle – all four cores run at 2.26GHz all the time. When a non-benchmark app is run, when the app is idling three cores are off and the fourth one is at 300MHz.

To get around the issue a special version of Geekbench 3 was created – since benchmark detection depends on the app’s package name, Ars renamed the package and the CPU showed its regular “three cores off, other one at 300MHz” idle behavior. The list of benchmarks that are treated specially also includes, GFXBench, Benchmark Pi, Linpack, Quadrant and other popular titles.

And while the CPU monitor doesn’t catch it, there’s more going on than can be explained by disabling the idle mode of the processor. Geekbench 3 scores are 20% higher with the artificial boost, while Linpack (also a renamed version) showed a whopping 50% difference. Without the boost, the benchmarks are around the LG G2 scores, where you would expect them to be. In all fairness the Note 3 does have some advantage remaining, only it’s not as big as initial tests suggest. Source code for the Note 3 also refers to “LCD frame rate adjustment,” so the GPU might be getting boosted too.

While it’s not 100% clear what the boosting involves, by the looks of it Samsung targets benchmarks specifically – if Samsung had included some games, we might take this as a special optimization, but with just benchmarks it seems like trying to cheat.

Samsung again! Have they got no shame?

Read the complete analysis here.
Http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2013/10/galaxy-note-3s-benchmarking-adjustments-inflate-scores-by-up-to-20/
Re: Samsung Cheats Again In Note 3 Benchmarks by zizky(m): 6:38am On Oct 02, 2013
Hmmmmmm
Re: Samsung Cheats Again In Note 3 Benchmarks by Nobody: 7:27am On Oct 02, 2013
DOES THIS MAKE THE NOTE 3 ANY LESS SUPERIOR??

HELL NO..
Re: Samsung Cheats Again In Note 3 Benchmarks by krugar07(m): 7:40am On Oct 02, 2013
would you buy a device because its topping the benchmark tables?-NO, This wont reduce the sales of the SGN3. And besides this doesnt concern nigeria, as we are getting the exynos varient.
Re: Samsung Cheats Again In Note 3 Benchmarks by physise(m): 8:00am On Oct 02, 2013
still
Team Samsung
Re: Samsung Cheats Again In Note 3 Benchmarks by Dabss(m): 8:17am On Oct 02, 2013
deejay_harry1: DOES THIS MAKE THE NOTE 3 ANY LESS SUPERIOR??

HELL NO..
what about ethics, fairness? They don't mean nothing to you?
Re: Samsung Cheats Again In Note 3 Benchmarks by Nobody: 8:43am On Oct 02, 2013
Da_b¤§§.:
what about ethics, fairness? They don't mean nothing to you?
ABEG , COMMOT WIT THT..

A PHAB WITH SUPER SPEED, VERY GOOD MULTI TASKING ABILITY..

WELL ENDOWED PPI...

AND SUPPORT FROM BOTH MANUFACTURER AND XDA....

I GO COM STOP PURCHASE COX OF ANTUTU SCORES??

YES ANTUTU HELPS ALOT, BUT THT THEY CHEATED THEIR SCORES ON ANTUTU, DOSNT MAKE D PHONE ANY LESS SUPERIOR...

CHEATING HAS ALWAYS BEEN WITHIN ALL HUMANS...
Re: Samsung Cheats Again In Note 3 Benchmarks by Osyxcel(m): 10:06am On Oct 02, 2013
Well, it doesn't reduce the fact that Note 3 is a beast...
Re: Samsung Cheats Again In Note 3 Benchmarks by JeffreyJamez(m): 10:34am On Oct 02, 2013
Benchmark or not.....NOTE 3 is a beast!!!! Shikina!!! Best smartphone out there right now #myopinion.... Now how to save 115k now to get this phone...
Re: Samsung Cheats Again In Note 3 Benchmarks by ibietela2(m): 2:57pm On Oct 02, 2013
JeffreyJamez: Benchmark or not.....NOTE 3 is a beast!!!! Shikina!!! Best smartphone out there right now #myopinion.... Now how to save 115k now to get this phone...

I know a keep way
Re: Samsung Cheats Again In Note 3 Benchmarks by walcolm(m): 3:33pm On Oct 02, 2013
@OP,

i don't get your point....a cheat is when a manufacturer ramps up the capability of its test device beyond what would be sold to the general public just to ace a test. example of a pure cheat was when Nokia tried to ace the camera test by using a DXLR camera to take pictures and claimed they were taking by the Nokia 920 back in 2012

what has happened here is Samsung saying, if benchmark tests want to know what my hardware can do, i tell the hardware to go at full throttle so the benchmarks can test the hardware to its full potential.

my customers can also choose to go full throttle when the hardware is in their hands since the test hardware is the same as the one that will be commercially available but i will also cater to my regular 'Joe' customers who don't need the full power all the time by making my device smart enough to turn off power that is not required

analogy...if you buy a grand prix grade sports car for your wife to use for school runs and grocery shopping, that doesn't mean another person who has the need for speed can't take that same vehicle and crank it up to 300km/h....its one and the same hardware and Samsung will be foolish not to optimize the device to intelligently manage its resources on a needs basis

2 Likes

Re: Samsung Cheats Again In Note 3 Benchmarks by krugar07(m): 4:31pm On Oct 02, 2013
now i see or rather am not seeing what i am supposed to see. shocked
Re: Samsung Cheats Again In Note 3 Benchmarks by Nobody: 6:26pm On Oct 02, 2013
Iphone is still twice better than andriods when it comes to cpu and gpu power
Re: Samsung Cheats Again In Note 3 Benchmarks by Nobody: 6:43pm On Oct 02, 2013
runzlord: Iphone is still twice better than andriods when it comes to cpu and gpu power
NIgga HIGH ON ABA WEED
Re: Samsung Cheats Again In Note 3 Benchmarks by Nobody: 5:56pm On Oct 03, 2013
deejay_harry1: NIgga HIGH ON ABA WEED
should we bet?
Re: Samsung Cheats Again In Note 3 Benchmarks by physise(m): 6:47pm On Oct 03, 2013
runzlord: Iphone is still twice better than andriods when it comes to cpu and gpu power
true and os optimization

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

FIFA 14 Installation Error on Android / Bb Z30 / Etisalat 3gb!!! How I Got My N1000 Back.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.