Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,225 members, 7,815,282 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 10:13 AM

I Wish I'm A Nigerian - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / I Wish I'm A Nigerian (807 Views)

I'm A Child Of Destiny- Chioma Ajunwa / Samuel Osei Kuffour: I'm A Nigerian From Sagamu / I Wish Football Never Existed! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Wish I'm A Nigerian by smile4kenn(m): 6:35am On Jun 30, 2008
As political differences threaten to wipe Zimbabwe out of the good books of international donors, Benjani Mwaruwari, one of the finest footballers to come from that country, has regretted why God allowed his roots to stem from there.

Speaking in Warri at the weekend when the Manchester City player came to partake in a testimonial match played in honour of former Super Eagles’ captain, Austin Jay Jay Okocha, Benjani said he would have loved to be a Nigerian so as to be part of the Eagles that would play in South Africa at the 2010 World Cup.

He also expressed regrets over the inability of Okocha to win the African Footballer of the Year award and called on young Nigerian players to emulate the humbled spirit in Okocha if they hope to excel in their chosen career.
"I would have loved to be a Nigerian," Benjani began. "Talents abound in this country that would have catapulted my international status as a footballer to a higher height.

"Nigeria is a country I have admired since I became a professional player and I will stop at nothing in supporting her quest to conquer the world in the nearest future. There are so many good footballers in Nigeria, who can build solid national teams at the flip of a finger compared to my country were we literally go on our knees, begging players to don our national colours."

The Man City player continued: "For me, it is a thing of joy to be in the country to have a direct feeling of Nigerian and other African stars as we gather to honour Okocha, who is my very good friend and brother, and in days of come, I will keep the memories of this occasion in my collection for my children to see how to celebrate success.

"I only have one regret for Okocha and his career which has officially come to an end. That is the inability of the midfield maestro not to have been decorated as African Footballer of the Year in his playing days despite winning awards like the BBC Sportsman of the Year among others. But for me, in spite of this shortcoming, Okocha remains a shining light, which other youths in Africa must continue to emulate. He is my hero and brother. And I will continue to relieve the memories that brought us together as long as I live."

On 2010 World Cup in South Africa, Benjani said: "Nigeria can win the World Cup in 2010 if proper planning and commitment are made on the part of the players and their coaches. The number of players Nigeria has in foreign lands is enough to do the magic for the team and the whole of Africa. The players play every week in tough leagues across Europe, Asia and even in Africa, so one cannot say they are redundant.

"People have continued to ask which country is likely to win the World Cup for Africa and when, but I would always tip Nigeria as our beacon of hope. I am not saying this out of sentiments because I have carefully watched several national teams in Africa and have spotted Nigeria as a more determined side.
"The 2010 World Cup in South Africa must be a good ground for an African country to win the World Cup, and I want to urge CAF and other football bodies to give maximum support to Nigeria to achieve this feat for Africa.

"I was, however, disappointed by the ouster of Nigeria at the last Nations Cup by a 10-man Ghanaian team. I had given the match to Nigeria even before the kick off, but I was shocked when the Nigerian players failed to live up to their ratings.
"I am, however, glad that an indigenous coach is now in charge of Super Eagles. I strongly believe that after his reorganisation of the team something good will definitely come their way.

"But I have a confession to make. It has been a long kept secret in my mind. Nigeria has been a surprise to me and my sporting career. The time Clemens Westerhof was contracted to coach our national team in Zimbabwe after his short spell with a club in South Africa, we were already cruising on a high frequency to qualify for the football event at the Olympics then. I was in that squad, but we were humiliated 5–1 in Lagos by the Nigerian team.

"That bitter pill has yet to settle in my stomach because I saw the opportunity then as a way for us to kick start our international recognition in football, but Nigeria shattered my dreams. I have since forgiven Nigeria and that is why I am out to support the country in whichever manner I can."
In the same vein, Super Eagles’ skipper, Nwankwo Kanu, said that Okocha and in fact, other great stars, who had retired graciously from the national team should be recognised by the Nigeria Football Association (NFA) as a way of encouraging younger ones who take such players as their role models.
He berated the myopic vision of the NFA at grabbing good opportunities like the Okocha Testimonial Match to showcase their plans about lifting the standard of football in the land.

"It is unfortunate that Okocha, who is one of our great sons, could be relegated to the background by the NFA. If not for the foresight of the Delta State Football Association and the government of Dr Emmanuel Uduaghan, we would not have had the opportunity to witness an occasion like this."
Kanu added: "I hope in years to come, our football authorities will start to take priorities on issues like honouring our heroes."
Re: I Wish I'm A Nigerian by smile4kenn(m): 6:36am On Jun 30, 2008
I felt Nigerian again reading this article, what ya'll think?
Re: I Wish I'm A Nigerian by tosinadeda: 8:56am On Jun 30, 2008
e no hard now

140,000,000 + 1
thats not too much grin
Re: I Wish I'm A Nigerian by ofurufu(m): 10:41am On Jun 30, 2008
Good talk from Benjani. Being a Nigerian would have surely helped his career more,I also believe. But even without being a Nigerian, he is highly rated and,as far as I'm concerned, ranks in the same class with Yakubu & Martins. He may not be skilful,but very powerful,hardworking and committed.What he did in Portsmouth and now doing in Man City shows he is truly a Nigeria-class player. If he had been a Nigerian he may not have been our automatic NO 9, but he would have surely given Martins and Yak a run for the standing 9 shirt,and who knows his commitment than these players could have won him the coveted place!!!

Take heart Benjani,it's a pity Zimbabwe can never qualify for World cup, at least for now. So keep supporting Nigeria!!!!!
Re: I Wish I'm A Nigerian by davidif: 9:18pm On Jun 30, 2008
chai, i feeeeeeeeeeeel soooooooooooo incredibly sorry for him and his country, what a shame, my fellow Nigerians, let's keep praying for that country named Zimbabwe. Don't worry mr. Benji, nothing is permanent, one day mugabe would die just like Lamidi Adedibu and things would eventually get better.
Re: I Wish I'm A Nigerian by smile4kenn(m): 7:32am On Jul 01, 2008
I love his style of football and i feel for him too

(1) (Reply)

BREAKING NEWS: Rodgers Unveiled As New Liverpool Maneger. / Nigeria Team Discribed As Mediocre Squad (good For Nothing) / Chelsea And Man U Fans Must See This

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.