Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,196 members, 7,818,655 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 08:56 PM

VERY URGENTLY: Please, How Can I Know If A Laptop Has Been Formatted Before? - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / VERY URGENTLY: Please, How Can I Know If A Laptop Has Been Formatted Before? (3343 Views)

Which Laptop Has The Best Battery Life? / How To Know If Your Laptop Is Refurbish / Urgent! I Formatted My Laptop! Can I Ever Recover The Files?! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

VERY URGENTLY: Please, How Can I Know If A Laptop Has Been Formatted Before? by sunsas(m): 4:18pm On Oct 05, 2013
i want to buy a laptop and don't know how to check if a laptop is an original. please, is there any way through which someone can check if an HP laptop an original? Also, how do i check to know if a laptop has been formatted before?
Re: VERY URGENTLY: Please, How Can I Know If A Laptop Has Been Formatted Before? by ITbomb(m): 4:47pm On Oct 05, 2013
Branded Laptops like HP most time have two partitions , one for backup copy of the OS n another as the main storage .
Formatted HD may have only one partition . Drive C.
Re: VERY URGENTLY: Please, How Can I Know If A Laptop Has Been Formatted Before? by Jetland(m): 10:05pm On Oct 06, 2013
thanks, my oga @ d top. but the one i want to buy is fairly use. so i don't know i can verify if it has been formatted before or if it is an original or counterfeit
Re: VERY URGENTLY: Please, How Can I Know If A Laptop Has Been Formatted Before? by Jetland(m): 10:05pm On Oct 06, 2013
thanks, my oga @ d top. but the one i want to buy is fairly use. so i don't know i can verify if it has been formatted before or if it is an original or counterfeit.
Re: VERY URGENTLY: Please, How Can I Know If A Laptop Has Been Formatted Before? by Jetland(m): 10:15pm On Oct 06, 2013
@Doncrust, do you know you are evulistic? not only that, do you know that, evu anakaviri odahihu?
Re: VERY URGENTLY: Please, How Can I Know If A Laptop Has Been Formatted Before? by chimeluiz: 2:31pm On Oct 09, 2013
@DonCrust
What u did is very wrong. It wasn't even a stupid question.
U niid 4giveness of sins cheesy
The way to noe if it hasn't been formatted is to check under the laptop for the windows stamp of genuineness. There u wld see the product key.
Go to the start/windows button and right click on my computer, click properties then scroll to the buttom of the page. The product I'd there should be exactly the same as that on the windows stamp under the laptop.
If not the laptop has already been formatted before. smiley
Re: VERY URGENTLY: Please, How Can I Know If A Laptop Has Been Formatted Before? by chux76(m): 7:00pm On Oct 09, 2013
@OP...Some laptops come with factory reset(My Lenovo Thinkpad T510 for e.g),which makes it possible to return aka "format" the laptop and return it to its factory state,in this case,the Laptop is as if it just left the factory stables,with no need to install any drivers or what nots..with also the windows activation key/code INTACT...and the recovery/back up partition stays intact. So I'd say it would be a very tricky situation to tell if such Laptop has been formatted before.
One way to check(although not conclusive) is to add up the back-up/recovery disk size plus the drive C: size and subtract from the original HDD size,(remember the OS on the laptops eats up some disk space too)..If the remainder is larger than 28GB,then know the Laptop has been formatted once or severally. But like I said this experiment is inconclusive.
Hope this helps

(1) (Reply)

Hp Folio Laptop For Sale / ✈✳✅2016 GOLD Edition HP Pavilion 15inch TOUCHScreen Core i5 2TB HDD 8GB For 165k / USA Used Dell Latitude E5440 Nvidia 2gb Dedicated 8GB RAM Core i5

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.