Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,330 members, 7,826,310 topics. Date: Monday, 13 May 2024 at 12:33 PM

National Conference Must Preceed A Referendum - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / National Conference Must Preceed A Referendum (455 Views)

About OEAS And Their Call For A Referendum / Nigeria: Should Pro-biafrans Hold A Referendum? - Ibtimes.uk / Lawyers: Can The UN Force A Referendum On Nigeria? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

National Conference Must Preceed A Referendum by geeez: 9:20pm On Oct 05, 2013
Personally I like the Swiss system of government which is participatory

In Switzerland, as it seems, the government, is the people of the country which aptly answers the questions of her diversity

However, I have some reservations operating the same model in Nigeria because I'm not sure ordinary folks here can match the political sophistication and economic wizardry of ordinary Swiss nationals

I'm somewhat on the fence regarding the constitution of a National Conference

A lot will have to do with how the representatives are selected and what the agenda for their deliberations are

The national assembly as it is currently constituted is a Sovereign National Conference, supposedly representing the people and if the National Conference is going to be put together the same way the NASS is, then we won't have achieved anything with the supposed congregation of people to discuss our political and economic future

If we will go by the way of tribes, the question will be how many people will represent each tribe? Do we have a credible census of all tribes in Nigeria? Will the number of representatives from each tribe be a function of their perceived population? In any case, there will be serious contentions before the first sitting

If we go by pressure groups, there will be serious imbalances as the Yorubas, of which I'm part, unarguably have the highest number of pressure groups in the country. From Afenifere, to Gani and Fasheun's OPC factions, to the OYC etc. Once again, this may cause an imbalance

However, if I was to propose a model, I will advocate for a team of people with impeccable pedigree, to go around the country and meet with various interests, pressure groups and tribes at typical townhall meetings which will be televised live. Different tribes and groups will make their submissions and all these submissions will be collated. Obviously, there will be contentious issues and I will advocate that every contentious issue, be categorized and subject to a referendum. Every issue raised, should categorized and voted on by the inhabitants of the geographical location known as Nigeria today. Issues from self-determination, to the system of government, to the practice of religion and even the revenue sharing formula. It may be painstaking conducting a referendum but I think it is extremely essential, to address any imbalance in the composition of members of the conference.

At the end of the day, the referendum should be binding and whatever the majority of the inhabitants of the land want should apply

1 Like

Re: National Conference Must Preceed A Referendum by Nobody: 9:45pm On Oct 05, 2013
D hausa/fulani dont want any of such because dey hav a strangle hold on dis country. Dey benefit frm dis fraudulent set-up nd dont want anything to change; dey are born to rule while other Nigerians are born to sit and watch.

(1) (Reply)

Malawi President Dissolves Cabinet: Stolen Loots Under Beds And Inside Cars / How Many Committees Does A Government Need? / Video-extortion In Onitsha By Nigeria Police

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.