Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,126 members, 7,814,942 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 12:50 AM

How BIS Works On Blackberry Devices(non BB Take Note) ,,,,....... - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / How BIS Works On Blackberry Devices(non BB Take Note) ,,,,....... (7040 Views)

Mtn Bis Works On Android. / Airtel BIS To Stop Working On Non BB Devices / Airtel BB Plans On Non BB Phones(updated) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How BIS Works On Blackberry Devices(non BB Take Note) ,,,,....... by Obaiyski(m): 10:11pm On Oct 05, 2013
First, let’s understand how BIS data on the old BlackBerry devices work because it will help clarify the grey areas with regards to the BlackBerry 10 plans and other non BB devices.

On the older BlackBerry devices (OS 4 through to 7.1) When you open a web page on your device for example, here is what happens:

Your device’s browser sends a request via a dedicated “channel”/proxy to the BlackBerry server (note that it’s not requesting information directly from the server where the site is hosted but from the BlackBerry server). The Blackberry server then requests for the page you seek from the server where it is hosted, receives the information, formats and compresses it (This compression is key, take note of it, I will explain later) and sends it back to your device and the page is displayed on your screen.

Tip:This explains why if you request “google.com” on the same network with a BlackBerry and another device, the other device returns “google.com.ng” meaning Google’s server knows your request is coming in from Nigeria, while on the BlackBerry, you’ll get “google.co.uk” as a response.

Now besides browsing webpages, the BlackBerry server handles most other things, it re-formats, compresses and pushes your emails (so unlike some other phones, your phone does not have to keep checking the email server and wasting precious data–at some point on other phones, if you got a 50mb email on your email server, 50mb (plus whatever it cost to check if there were new messages) was going to zap from your data plan, didn’t matter if you had no use for the email or not), it does same for your native apps (twitter, Facebook e.t.c) notifications, it handles your BBM, your contacts and calendar sync, security, BlackBerry Protect e.t.c

Tip: the above explains why you get charged when you say go to youtube and start watching videos on some networks (especially the ones that do not offer capped data). A video on the internet (mpeg, mp4 etc) are already compressed formats, so the BlackBerry server does not need to handle that and it doesn’t. You are routed directly to the server hosting the content and your network charges you for the data used.

All these were important innovations in the early days (still are important to an extent today especially in Africa) when data was expensive (not just to the end user but to the provider also) and coverage was spotty at best and mobile technology was still in its infancy. Your current BlackBerry uses 4-6 times less data per task than the average smartphone. (that explains why networks are happy to toss unlimited plans on them, most users use under 200Mb a month). Also, switch your BlackBerry and any other smartphone to 2G only especially in an area where the best you can get is GPRS and try using both, you will get a clearer picture of what I’m trying to get at, or read stories about communication around ground zero immediately after events like 9/11). But over time, things evolve, especially in regards to technology and most especially with regards to mobile technology. Network speeds are now thousands of times faster than they were a few years ago, Network capacity thousands of times larger, data is cheaper, mail servers are now more mobile friendly, websites are now more “responsive” and serve mobile versions, content can be received via apps using less data than a full blown webpage, mobile browsers are smarter, e.t.c.

It has gotten to the point where using a server to compress your content is no longer a necessity, mostly because we now consume richer content by default. E.g. what’s the point of a HD screen if you aren’t seeing HD content? Especially when such content is already pre-compressed and formatted for mobile consumption?

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: How BIS Works On Blackberry Devices(non BB Take Note) ,,,,....... by psalmdave(m): 11:13pm On Oct 05, 2013
Re: How BIS Works On Blackberry Devices(non BB Take Note) ,,,,....... by Mannylex(m): 12:08am On Oct 06, 2013
Good.
Re: How BIS Works On Blackberry Devices(non BB Take Note) ,,,,....... by Nobody: 2:43am On Oct 06, 2013
meaning we can build an app to make it send data via blackberry server?

1 Like

Re: How BIS Works On Blackberry Devices(non BB Take Note) ,,,,....... by Brimmie(m): 3:19am On Oct 06, 2013
This is my thang!! Interesting!!
Re: How BIS Works On Blackberry Devices(non BB Take Note) ,,,,....... by fr3do(m): 3:37am On Oct 06, 2013
Op,so what's the message u're passing down?

Android users are not justified to ask for bb or bb-like plans or they can gain access via bb servers or our ISPs should build special servers for droid users?
Re: How BIS Works On Blackberry Devices(non BB Take Note) ,,,,....... by Obaiyski(m): 6:12am On Oct 06, 2013
Android users are not justified for fairness against BIS plan on their device,the problem is from makers of android os (google) that made it to be a data eater or they could have their dedicated server that wil help 2 compress certain content like BB. Note it that browsing with android is equal to browsing with a PC, they dredge almost the same data. So using BIS on other devices is only a prevelage and it's not guaranted, Ur ISP can terminate it any moment which you already know..

1 Like

Re: How BIS Works On Blackberry Devices(non BB Take Note) ,,,,....... by Obaiyski(m): 6:13am On Oct 06, 2013
fr3do: Op,so what's the message u're passing down?

Android users are not justified to ask for bb or bb-like plans or they can gain access via bb servers or our ISPs should build special servers for droid users?
Re: How BIS Works On Blackberry Devices(non BB Take Note) ,,,,....... by Obaiyski(m): 6:15am On Oct 06, 2013
Hope you got me well.
Re: How BIS Works On Blackberry Devices(non BB Take Note) ,,,,....... by Daarsenic: 6:57am On Oct 06, 2013
my question is this, does blackberry phones as identity that differentiate them from other smartphone with communicating over Internet
Re: How BIS Works On Blackberry Devices(non BB Take Note) ,,,,....... by Obaiyski(m): 7:05am On Oct 06, 2013
Daarsenic: my question is this, does blackberry phones as identity that differentiate them from other smartphone with communicating over Internet
Nwanne all this depends on blackberry os and packaging
Re: How BIS Works On Blackberry Devices(non BB Take Note) ,,,,....... by Nobody: 7:59am On Oct 06, 2013
I have a feeling that this message was sponsored by Airtel. You haven't convinced me well enough to abandon your cheaper bis plan for a less effective and more expensive data plan on my android device.
Re: How BIS Works On Blackberry Devices(non BB Take Note) ,,,,....... by ajasa4link: 8:39am On Oct 06, 2013
[quote author=Obaiyski][/quote]oga this is ur second topic on this issue and am feeling u are doing a PR job for the network providers( don't tell me u are just a concerned Nigeria who felt the urge to educate android users)... All this u are saying about blackberry servers,compressing data,dedicated server..etc we already know. But u guys keep complaining the cost of doing business in Nigeria is high due to power problems and insecurity, yet u fail to explain to us how these network providers (particularly mtn) have their Nigerian branch making more profit than other branches elsewhere ....instead of using millions of naira to sponsor useless shows and organizing promos we didn't ask for, they should use the money to subsidize their internet plans if they are really expensive. AT least offering 1gb for 1,500 to android users can still be considered fair in this case. ...I've said enough!

1 Like

Re: How BIS Works On Blackberry Devices(non BB Take Note) ,,,,....... by hyuga(m): 9:20am On Oct 06, 2013
ajasa, 1500 for 1gb ké? if bb can be getting 3gb for 1000 then that 2gb shud be given to Us for 1k. that's fair. then about BB compressing data, I don't think that's why operators give them d high data usage. how many bb user there download high content? most are hypnotized by d bbm which sends and receives very low data. if u meet some BB user, u will see that d 3gb isn't enough for them. so operators should keep giving bb users d 3gb and increase ours to 2gb for 1k. we wud be so happy and I will be grateful
Re: How BIS Works On Blackberry Devices(non BB Take Note) ,,,,....... by ajasa4link: 11:10am On Oct 06, 2013
hyuga: ajasa, 1500 for 1gb ké? if bb can be getting 3gb for 1000 then that 2gb shud be given to Us for 1k. that's fair. then about BB compressing data, I don't think that's why operators give them d high data usage. how many bb user there download high content? most are hypnotized by d bbm which sends and receives very low data. if u meet some BB user, u will see that d 3gb isn't enough for them. so operators should keep giving bb users d 3gb and increase ours to 2gb for 1k. we wud be so happy and I will be grateful
Oga read the op's initial post again, he already gave reasons why bb users enjoy 3gb and android users cannot.. I agree with him on that based on d reason that bb servers compressing data and Google having no servers to do that for android. So, enjoying the same privilege as bb users will be unfair, however what I don't agree with is network providers offering paltry 200mb to android users for 1k. Hence my suggestion of 1gb for 1,500 or 1,000...

1 Like

Re: How BIS Works On Blackberry Devices(non BB Take Note) ,,,,....... by Obaiyski(m): 11:13am On Oct 06, 2013
ajasa4link: oga this is ur second topic on this issue and am feeling u are doing a PR job for the network providers( don't tell me u are just a concerned Nigeria who felt the urge to educate android users)... All this u are saying about blackberry servers,compressing data,dedicated server..etc we already know. But u guys keep complaining the cost of doing business in Nigeria is high due to power problems and insecurity, yet u fail to explain to us how these network providers (particularly mtn) have their Nigerian branch making more profit than other branches elsewhere ....instead of using millions of naira to sponsor useless shows and organizing promos we didn't ask for, they should use the money to subsidize their internet plans if they are really expensive. AT least offering 1gb for 1,500 to android users can still be considered fair in this case. ...I've said enough!
Its like you people are not getting me wright, first let put it this way( Let assume that Isp's have 100% subscribers that subscribed for BB unlimited capped 3gigg, from my findings and research out of that 100% bb users 80% will not be able to use up to 200mb of their data before expiring date,some 50mb.100mb as the case may be because of blackberry data compression technology due to their OS,out of that 3gigg they use only 200mb now the remaining 2.8gigg will go back to the Isp's when it got expired. Where the remaining 20% will be the one to bypass or even use more than 200mb even to the finishing point.) Now solve the statistic to see why BB subscription looks as it's not exorbitant. Now if android users are giving unlimited data plan like their BB counterparts what will it capped with and how much will it be knowingly well how android or other devices sucks data(The BB unlimited 3gigg will do android for only one week without penny remaining). From this who is to blame ,is it the high cost of internet in our country or our Isp's or is the the people that build our device operating system since blackberry have made their own, let them also come up with such technology. SADASTAND

2 Likes

Re: How BIS Works On Blackberry Devices(non BB Take Note) ,,,,....... by Obaiyski(m): 11:17am On Oct 06, 2013
ajasa4link:
Oga read the op's initial post again, he already gave reasons why bb users enjoy 3gb and android users cannot.. I agree with him on that based on d reason that bb servers compressing data and Google having no servers to do that for android. So, enjoying the same privilege as bb users will be unfair, however what I don't agree with is network providers offering paltry 200mb to android users for 1k. Hence my suggestion of 1gb for 1,500 or 1,000...
Thank you my brother you reason well and you know book as well. The topic is very straight..Period
Re: How BIS Works On Blackberry Devices(non BB Take Note) ,,,,....... by ajasa4link: 11:35am On Oct 06, 2013
Obaiyski: Its like you people are not getting me wright, first let put it this way( Let assume that Isp's have 100% subscribers that subscribed for BB unlimited capped 3gigg, from my findings and research out of that 100% bb users 80% will not be able to use up to 200mb of their data before expiring date,some 50mb.100mb as the case may be because of blackberry data compression technology due to their OS,out of that 3gigg they use only 200mb now the remaining 2.8gigg will go back to the Isp's when it got expired. Where the remaining 20% will be the one to bypass or even use more than 200mb even to the finishing point.) Now solve the statistic to see why BB subscription looks as it's not exorbitant. Now if android users are giving unlimited data plan like their BB counterparts what will it capped with and how much will it be knowingly well how android or other devices sucks data(The BB unlimited 3gigg will do android for only one week without penny remaining). From this who is to blame ,is it the high cost of internet in our country or our Isp's or is the the people that build our device operating system since blackberry have made their own, let them also come up with such technology. SADASTAND
why are u repeating urself all over again? I already aknowledge ur points in my earlier reply ,but u didn't address any of the issues i raised in mine...mtn ,airtel,glo and etisalat will not go bankrupt if they offer 1gb for 1k to android users... Nobody will think of cheats after that. failure to do that,cheats will keep resurfacing and they will be on the losing end. I once used 5gb and 4.5gb as cheat within a month for free courtesy of cheats because the network providers failed to listen to voice of reason
Re: How BIS Works On Blackberry Devices(non BB Take Note) ,,,,....... by Obaiyski(m): 11:45am On Oct 06, 2013
ajasa4link:
why are u repeating urself all over again? I already aknowledge ur points in my earlier reply ,but u didn't address any of the issues i raised in mine...mtn ,airtel,glo and etisalat will not go bankrupt if they offer 1gb for 1k to android users... Nobody will think of cheats after that. failure to do that,cheats will keep resurfacing and they will be on the losing end. I once used 5gb and 4.5gb as cheat within a month for free courtesy of cheats because the network providers failed to listen to voice of reason
ok, I hear you.. May be people should stars protesting...
Re: How BIS Works On Blackberry Devices(non BB Take Note) ,,,,....... by francis247(m): 1:22pm On Oct 06, 2013
This is exactly what I've been saying. Instead of crying wolf to the network providers about the heavy charges on data compared to blackberry users by Android users, the complaints should be channelled to Google, the owner of the Android OS to make available Android servers to carry half the load just like BB has done. No doubt it will be difficult to achieve seeing that the OS maker is different from the phone maker unlike Blackberry, not to mention the fact that even Apple which has the same phone/OS owner and is much more expensive than Android does not have such on ground yet.

1 Like

Re: How BIS Works On Blackberry Devices(non BB Take Note) ,,,,....... by tunday4real(m): 2:27pm On Dec 02, 2013
my question. is does our network. operator buys data from an ISP.?or generate their own data themselves.if not they should make data for android users affordable.otherwise I suggest Google should give us an android dedicated server e.g android. net.or better still embark on a protest March to their Nigerian office in ikoyi.
I rest my case..... Courrrrrrrttttttt.
Re: How BIS Works On Blackberry Devices(non BB Take Note) ,,,,....... by Kamaye(m): 8:04am On Dec 03, 2013
I agree with your points here but please OP can you explain why countries like Ghana, South Africa, Tanzania etc are offering 1gb of data for as low as $3 (N500)? http://www.itwebafrica.com/network/272-south-africa/231390-sa-has-africas-cheapest-postpaid-data-prices
Re: How BIS Works On Blackberry Devices(non BB Take Note) ,,,,....... by wunmi2odun(m): 12:22pm On Jul 24, 2014
francis247: This is exactly what I've been saying. Instead of crying wolf to the network providers about the heavy charges on data compared to blackberry users by Android users, the complaints should be channelled to Google, the owner of the Android OS to make available Android servers to carry half the load just like BB has done. No doubt it will be difficult to achieve seeing that the OS maker is different from the phone maker unlike Blackberry, not to mention the fact that even Apple which has the same phone/OS owner and is much more expensive than Android does not have such on ground yet.
I can assure you that Google would not even listen to you if you lunch such complain to them. most Americans use android devices and they don't complain of data because they get enough data bundles at cheaper and affordable rate from their isp. So now tell me, if the Americans do not lunch a complain to Google, do you think Google would ever want to listen to we Nigerians? from my own point of view, I think we android users should all come together and raise a complain to our dear NCC to talk to our stingy network providers in Nigeria to be fair with us and give us a more affordable data bundles. I think I have said enough.

#TeamAndroid grin
Re: How BIS Works On Blackberry Devices(non BB Take Note) ,,,,....... by allenadeola(m): 4:19pm On Jul 31, 2014
You have made a very wonderful post. This indeed is an eye opener. I believe our local network providers can help ease the sting of this high internet fees by following the suggestions of some great minds on this thread ; 2GB for 1000 naira is a fair deal to all concerned. Glo, MTN, Etisalat and AIRTEL should think of providing affordable internet rather than sponsoring all those damn shows that is aimed at putting smile on a single face or those adverts- some of them are cool though...... I'm out!
Obaiyski: Its like you people are not getting me wright, first let put it this way( Let assume that Isp's have 100% subscribers that subscribed for BB unlimited capped 3gigg, from my findings and research out of that 100% bb users 80% will not be able to use up to 200mb of their data before expiring date,some 50mb.100mb as the case may be because of blackberry data compression technology due to their OS,out of that 3gigg they use only 200mb now the remaining 2.8gigg will go back to the Isp's when it got expired. Where the remaining 20% will be the one to bypass or even use more than 200mb even to the finishing point.) Now solve the statistic to see why BB subscription looks as it's not exorbitant. Now if android users are giving unlimited data plan like their BB counterparts what will it capped with and how much will it be knowingly well how android or other devices sucks data(The BB unlimited 3gigg will do android for only one week without penny remaining). From this who is to blame ,is it the high cost of internet in our country or our Isp's or is the the people that build our device operating system since blackberry have made their own, let them also come up with such technology. SADASTAND

1 Like

Re: How BIS Works On Blackberry Devices(non BB Take Note) ,,,,....... by keandre: 6:56pm On Dec 12, 2014
Re: How BIS Works On Blackberry Devices(non BB Take Note) ,,,,....... by threadstone(m): 6:10pm On Dec 14, 2014
ajasa4link:

So to teach them a lesson, u resorted to using cheats? Wonderful! With this ideology, believe me if data became 500 you'll still find a way to bypass it.

I keep saying this its not by force to use android. You can only pay for what you can afford. Simple.
A lot of ppl stuck to symbian and java phones while blackberry sub was N5k and nobody raised hell then. With time sub wld be competitive, at least your darling airtel started with N1000 for 100mb
Re: How BIS Works On Blackberry Devices(non BB Take Note) ,,,,....... by Jedix(m): 8:22pm On Dec 14, 2014
Get mb Cheat here

(1) (Reply)

My Infinix Note 5 Review After One Week / Samsung A30 Vs Huawei Y9 2019 / Solution To Downloading From Rapidshare

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.