Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,843 members, 7,810,254 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 02:44 AM

Things Mohammad And Jesus Have In Common - Islam for Muslims (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / Things Mohammad And Jesus Have In Common (8340 Views)

What Islam Really Teaches About Allah And Jesus / Differences Between Muhammad And Jesus / Is Mohammad Really The Last Prophet From The Biblical God? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Things Mohammad And Jesus Have In Common by TayoD(m): 1:05am On Jul 02, 2006
Logical,

Can you provide us with the source of the information that Mohammed married an 8 year old girl? And why is that source now suspect? What makes these other sources you quoted more acceptable than the one that gave the world the age of 8?
I hope we won't get a new information now telling us Mohammed's first wife was not actually decades older than he was.
Re: Things Mohammad And Jesus Have In Common by Nobody: 2:31am On Jul 02, 2006
Logical:

According to the Qur'an, hadith means 'story', 'news', 'report' or 'narration' [/b]and it is used in the Qur'an a number of times in these senses. In practice, the word hadith, to most people calling themselves Muslim, means the [b]reported [/b]sayings and practices of the Prophet. The operative word here is[b] 'reported'. The Hadith literature was collected by word of mouth, about 250 years after the death of the Prophet. The Hadiths – as the Hadith literature is commonly called – can be classified roughly in four categories:

1. What the Prophet said.

2. What the Prophet did.

3. What the Prophet silently approved of, in others.

4. Hadiths which give descriptions of what the Prophet was like.

In a more precise way, A historical account of, how it was like, during the prophet's time.

It helps if put in right context with the chain of narrations that support a specific report, in giving us the glimpse of the nature and enviroment, besides how the life of the first muslims was like, and hence sometimes can be used in making decisions based on the contextual refrences.

Much of Islam will remain mere abstract concepts without Hadith. Muslims would never know how to pray, fast, pay zakah, or make pilgrimage without the illustration found in Hadith, for these acts of worship remain as abstract imperatives in the Qur’an. So I think that answers your question.

@ logical

pls help me here i am getting confused. Hadith is a "story", "narrative" and therefore not as reliable as the quran especially as regards the story concerning mohammed and his 6 yr old wife right?
The quran is an abstract text (according to you) and the hadith is actually where you get much of your acts of worship such as prayer and fasting as you claimed "Much of Islam will remain mere abstract concepts without Hadith. Muslims would never know how to pray, fast, pay zakah, or make pilgrimage without the illustration found in Hadith, for these acts of worship remain as abstract imperatives in the Qur’an."

If that is true then what is the significance of the quran since it is just a collection of "mere abstract texts"?
why would it be appropriate to use the hadith in some situations e.g prayer and fasting and then innapropriate to quote it as a reliable source when it comes to the "deeds" of the prophet e.g his marriage?
Re: Things Mohammad And Jesus Have In Common by Logical(m): 5:41am On Jul 02, 2006
TayoD:

Logical,

Can you provide us with the source of the information that Muhammad married an 8 year old girl? And why is that source now suspect? What makes these other sources you quoted more acceptable than the one that gave the world the age of 8?
I hope we won't get a new information now telling us Muhammad's first wife was not actually decades older than he was.

@TayoD
Well maybe you might want to direct that question to the person that started the accusation?
All sources of the hadith are suspects, thats where for every hadith there must be a check on its chain of narrations.

davidylan:

@ logical
If that is true then what is the significance of the quran since it is just a collection of "mere abstract texts"?
why would it be appropriate to use the hadith in some situations e.g prayer and fasting and then innapropriate to quote it as a reliable source when it comes to the "deeds" of the prophet e.g his marriage?

It's not just mere abstract's David, its a message from God. When I said much of Islam would be mere abstract without the hadith. You might want to ask, what the "much of Islam" was? So I was talking about some activities such as Prayers for example. In the Quran it says Pray(perform salat), but the precise guide of how prayers(salat) was done by the prophet, or is supposed to be done is not there, so based on the hadiths account from different first sources, more of a rich tradition, you can refer to the context and chain of narrations to support that account, on how it was exactly done, or supposed to be done.

So the Hadith is not appropriate in one condition and inappropriate in another condition. We muslims only approve a message of the hadith if the chain of narrations all support the account of that message.

All hadith's are questionable, every muslim knows that. hence a proof is needed based on the context and chain of narrations, because of its nature.

Anybody can just wake up and said, he heared the prophet said something or people said something. But how many first source report of that account do we have, to support that report? Thats what we muslims call a chain of narration.
Re: Things Mohammad And Jesus Have In Common by Nobody: 8:30pm On Jul 02, 2006
thanks logical,

u just helped me make up my mind. If there was ever any doubt at all it is now cleared, i for one do not want to be a part of a religion were "much of it" is mere abstract terms, "all hadith" is questionable and depends on a "chain of narration" for proof of validity and clearly based niot really on what "god" says but on the "rich traditions" and "how it was done by the prophet"!
Re: Things Mohammad And Jesus Have In Common by TayoD(m): 10:09pm On Jul 02, 2006
@Logical,

From my understanding, the Qu'ran wasn't written down by Mohammed because he was an illiterate. If that is so, I assume that his recitations must have been recorded by the very same people around him who wrote down the 'Hadiths".

If what they have documented in the hadith (which should be what they've observed with their eyes) is supposed to be taken with a pinch of salt, why then should I rely on what they wrote down and compiled as the Qu'ran. Was the same Qu'ran proof-read by Mohammed? Or was different sources compared and one of them picked? Or was there an harmonisation of all the various writings? All of these questions are begging for answers, and I will appreciate a truthful response from your person.

@TayoD
Well maybe you might want to direct that question to the person that started the accusation?
All sources of the hadith are suspects, thats where for every hadith there must be a check on its chain of narrations.
I am not interested in the valiodity or otherwise of the Qu'ran, much less the hadith. The basis of my faith lies entirely within the Bible, and it is the validity of the Bible that is of any importance to me. On the other hand, the hadith is one of the foundations of your faith and the onus is on you to find its validity. As an extension, you owe it to yourself also to discover the Gospels that Mohammed validated in the Qu'ran. The process is very simple. Just find the Bibles and the manuscripts that constituted what was known as the Bible during Mohammed's days. Compare them to the Bible of today and see if any corroborates Mohammed's claims as laid out in the Qu'ran.

The ball is in your court.
Re: Things Mohammad And Jesus Have In Common by Gwaine(m): 10:37pm On Jul 02, 2006
TayoD:

As an extension, you owe it to yourself also to discover the Gospels that Muhammad validated in the Qu'ran. The process is very simple. Just find the Bibles and the manuscripts that constituted what was known as the Bible during Muhammad's days. Compare them to the Bible of today and see if any corroborates Muhammad's claims as laid out in the Qu'ran.

That's always been my point - long before Muhammad was born, the Bible was already in circulation with
everything we read in it as essentially as found in the Bible today:

¤ Jesus Christ is the Son of God and He is Lord _ Mark 1:1.

¤ Jesus Christ was crucified, died and rose again_Mark 14-16.

¤ In both the OT and NT the Messiah is called "God" - Isaiah 9:6 and John 1:1.

All these were already well known and preached from the very earliest days of Christianity - even before
Paul was commissioned as an apostle! A few centuries later, an Arab from the Quraish tribe receives some
'visions/revelations' purporting that he has been sent as the last prophet by the same God who 'sent down'
the Gospel to Jesus. And yet, while the Qur'an was first "confirming" the same Gospel that called Jesus the
Christ "the Son of God", Muhammad was busy seeking ways to deny what he said he had received from the
angel and by 'revelation'!
Re: Things Mohammad And Jesus Have In Common by Nobody: 11:52pm On Jul 02, 2006
Logical keeps shooting himself in the foot!

@TayoD

So the Hadith is not appropriate in one condition and inappropriate in another condition. We muslims only approve a message of the hadith if the chain of narrations all support the account of that message.

All hadith's are questionable, every muslim knows that. hence a proof is needed based on the context and chain of narrations, because of its nature.

YET!!!!!

Much of Islam will remain mere abstract concepts without Hadith. Muslims would never know how to pray, fast, pay zakah, or make pilgrimage without the illustration found in Hadith, for these acts of worship remain as abstract imperatives in the Qur’an. So I think that answers your question.

How can the hadith, as questionable as you say it sounds be the basis for your acts of worship?
Re: Things Mohammad And Jesus Have In Common by Logical(m): 11:53pm On Jul 02, 2006
davidylan:

thanks logical,

u just helped me make up my mind. If there was ever any doubt at all it is now cleared, i for one do not want to be a part of a religion were "much of it" is mere abstract terms, "all hadith" is questionable and depends on a "chain of narration" for proof of validity and clearly based niot really on what "god" says but on the "rich traditions" and "how it was done by the prophet"!

All I can say is huuuuuuuuuuuuh?
TayoD:

@Logical,

From my understanding, the Qu'ran wasn't written down by Muhammad because he was an illiterate. If that is so, I assume that his recitations must have been recorded by the very same people around him who wrote down the 'Hadiths".

The recordings of the hadith started 250years after the death of the prophet by Islamic scholars and philosophers, I taught I mentioned that before? Or you just choose to turn a blind eye to that fact again smiley

@TayoD , Have you validated the bible? What acceptable human standards did you use to validate it? I for one, have validated many Islamic preachings using the human standard of logic, a gift of God to man.

@Gwaine,
I have learnt something by reading all of your posts in the religion section, and that thing is, I am better of not arguing with you smiley. This is because from what I have discovered, you don't reason beyond what you have been taught or fed with. You don't see beyond the circle of quoting and quoting what the bible says, even though you perfectly know, that the bible is only approved by christians as a valid document.

What are you trying to achieve? Let me guess , are you trying to push Christianity down my throat cheesy , I hope not smiley

@Davidlyan
The hadith is not the basis of Islamic belief, do you really understand the difference between tradition and doctrine?

When I say much of islam, I was reffering to the tenets of islams, otherwise known as pillars (The profession of faith in Allah , salat, zakat, ramadhan, hajj) maybe that is more explanatory, because its more of practice not necessarily a doctrine, and therefore requires a traditional documentation to guide in achieving that particular practice properly.
Re: Things Mohammad And Jesus Have In Common by Nobody: 12:03am On Jul 03, 2006
@ logical

All I can say is huuuuuuuuuuuuh?
Well you haven't made much sense in most of your disjointed posts.

@TayoD , Have you validated the bible? What acceptable human standards did you use to validate it? I for one, have validated many Islamic preachings using the human standard of logic, a gift of God to man.
Sorry, that's where the line is drawn between the bible and the quran. Your quran NEEDS to be validated by using "human standard of logic" which you laughably pass off as a "gift of God to man". Sorry, even traditionalists and hindus can use "human standard of logic" to validate their own practices, it does not make islam any different.

As for the bible: Here is what it has to say;
Job 11:7 Canst thou by searching find out God? canst thou find out the Almighty unto perfection?
Isaiah 55:8 For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith the LORD.
Isaiah 55: 9 For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts.
2 Timothy 3: 16All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:
17That the man of God may be perfect, thoroughly furnished unto all good works
Re: Things Mohammad And Jesus Have In Common by Logical(m): 12:07am On Jul 03, 2006
davidylan:

@ logical
Well you haven't made much sense in most of your disjointed posts.
Sorry, that's where the line is drawn between the bible and the quran. Your quran NEEDS to be validated by using "human standard of logic" which you laughably pass off as a "gift of God to man". Sorry, even traditionalists and hindus can use "human standard of logic" to validate their own practices, it does not make islam any different.

Interesting didn't know that, maybe you might want to quote one of those tradionalists or hindus doctrine that is quiet logical, because I havent come across any, and hence I don't agree. Would really appreciate it. smiley
Re: Things Mohammad And Jesus Have In Common by Nobody: 12:08am On Jul 03, 2006
@ logical

@Davidlyan
The hadith is not the basis of Islamic belief, do you really understand the difference between tradition and doctrine?

When I say much of islam, I was reffering to the tenets of islams, otherwise known as pillars (The profession of faith in Allah , salat, zakat, ramadhan, hajj) maybe that is more explanatory, because its more of practice not necessarily a doctrine, and therefore requires a traditional documentation to guide in achieving that particular practice properly.

I perfectly understand the difference between "traditions" and "doctrines". Islam is a religion based on the traditions of men and here is what the bible has to say:

Mark 7:8
For laying aside the commandment of God, ye hold the tradition of men, as the washing of pots and cups: and many other such like things ye do.

Colossians 2:8
Beware lest any man spoil you through philosophy and vain deceit, after the tradition of men, after the rudiments of the world, and not after Christ.
Re: Things Mohammad And Jesus Have In Common by Logical(m): 12:12am On Jul 03, 2006
davidylan:

@ logical

I perfectly understand the difference between "traditions" and "doctrines". Islam is a religion based on the traditions of men and here is what the bible has to say:

Mark 7:8
For laying aside the commandment of God, ye hold the tradition of men, as the washing of pots and cups: and many other such like things ye do.

Colossians 2:8
Beware lest any man spoil you through philosophy and vain deceit, after the tradition of men, after the rudiments of the world, and not after Christ.

Hmm, the bible says, the bible says. Islam is a religion based on tradition, rather I would say that, Islam is a tradition of itself not a tradition of man.

Misinterpretations can turn it, into the tradition of man, but untill then , it remains the tradition of itself. So let me guess you are not a catholic?
Re: Things Mohammad And Jesus Have In Common by Nobody: 12:12am On Jul 03, 2006
Logical:

Interesting didn't know that, maybe you might want to quote one of those tradionalists or hindus doctrine that is quiet logical, because I havent come across any, and hence I don't agree. Would really appreciate it. smiley

You can't come across what you have not researched. Any rational human being can rationalise anything on the earth. The power of logic is not the sole preserve of islam. With the numerous contradictions in the quran, it is amazing some still find it "logical" for a 50 yr old marrying a 6 yr old does not in any way connote rational logic.
Re: Things Mohammad And Jesus Have In Common by Logical(m): 12:14am On Jul 03, 2006
davidylan:

You can't come across what you have not researched. Any rational human being can rationalise anything on the earth. The power of logic is not the sole preserve of islam. With the numerous contradictions in the quran, it is amazing some still find it "logical" for a 50 yr old marrying a 6 yr old does not in any way connote rational logic.

There you go again accusing without a proof? This is more the reason why, I wanted to stop arguing with you, because it is a total waste of time. You keep accusing and accusing, without any proof. And you claim to stand for the truth?
Re: Things Mohammad And Jesus Have In Common by Nobody: 12:14am On Jul 03, 2006
Logical:

Hmm, the bible says, the bible says. Islam is a religion based on tradition, rather I would say that, Islam is a tradition of itself not a tradition of man.

Misinterpretations can turn into the tradition of man, but untill then , it remains the tradition of itself. So let me guess you are not a catholic?

I am not catholic!

Islam is a "tradition of itself"? That in itself is completely irrational. Was it a tradition of aliens? Is the basis for the hadith and other forms of muslem worship not based on "what the prophet did, said or silently approved of"?
Re: Things Mohammad And Jesus Have In Common by Logical(m): 12:18am On Jul 03, 2006
You know what, we are just going in a cycle, and honestly I do think I am better off letting you think whatever you want to think, because I have discovered that you don't want to reason beyond what you have made yourself to believe.

Hence I am ending this debate, when you are ready to provide tangible proofs to whatever you accuse Islam of, Do let me know. I would be glad to continue, until then, have a nice day.
Re: Things Mohammad And Jesus Have In Common by Nobody: 12:21am On Jul 03, 2006
Logical:

There you go again accusing without a proof? This is more the reason why, I wanted to stop arguing with you, because it is a total waste of time. You keep accusing and accusing, without any proof. And you claim to stand for the truth?

You want to stop not because i am accusing without proof but because you have run short of excuses to give.

First, i have NOT accused, rather i have backed up all my statements with bible quotations to expose your shallow knowledge

2. Which proof do i need save that which is in your hadith which unfortunately has suddenly become questionable to all muslims.

3. The burden of proof does not lie on me, on the christian side i would strive to make you understand the truth. Whether mohammed married a 6 yr old or a 60 yr old is left for you and your ilk to debunk with PROOF!
Re: Things Mohammad And Jesus Have In Common by Gwaine(m): 12:22am On Jul 03, 2006
@Logical,

Logical:

I have learnt something by reading all of your posts in the religion section, and that thing is, I am better of not arguing with you smiley. This is because from what I have discovered, you don't reason beyond what you have been taught or fed with. You don't see beyond the circle of quoting and quoting what the bible says, even though you perfectly know, that the bible is only approved by christians as a valid document.

What are you trying to achieve? Let me guess , are you trying to push Christianity down my throat cheesy , I hope not smiley

This happens to be one more logic that has made sense in recent times - you don't argue with me, my guy!! grin
Especially when your tales are lacking substance. The point is, Prophet Muhammad's claims of Biblical knowledge
should be examined more closely. . . and at the end of the day, I bet he too would have said the same thing as
you did: "Gwaine, I can't argue with you, kai!! So, I can't pull the wool over your eyes. . unless, em . . I settle it
with the sword
!"

Okay, jokes apart, let me remind you of a few things: Yes, I reason beyond what I've received by teaching from
others - my pastor and other friends who continue to challenge my faith. Yes, I quote the Bible as freely and as
often as I can until the Muslim apologists who often abandon the Qur'an and quote the Bible to "prove" that the
Prophet Muhammad and his religion Islam are found on its sacred pages. And yes, I quote and also teach those
Muslim apologists to see how their efforts are at best wasted - especially the new entrants who are wet behind
the ears: abdul fata and QuranSearc. Yes, even though the Bible is approved and believed in as a valid document
by Christians, the Qur'an also confirmed it until the tide turned for Muhammad! (did you forget that, too?).

And what am I trying to achieve?? Pardon?? Haa, of all things, it is not to force or ram my convictions down your
throat. Rather, I'll continue to present these matters to you and the gentlemen who should please, please and
please calm down and take a second look at the claims of the Qur'an where it "confirmed" a library of documents
well in circulation before Muhammad was born! After that, it's up to you to make informed decisions as to who is
the Messiah and Saviour as the same Qur'an statutorily confirmed.

Please, don't end this debate - we shall miss you terribly if you do that  grin, and you know that's not a joke! It's
quite a huge effort on your part to recognise that some people don't want to reason beyond what they have
made up to believe - which happens to be the case with most of our Muslim friends who won't rationally take a
second look at the Biblical verses they quote to try and prove that the Kaa'ba is in Psalm 84!!
Re: Things Mohammad And Jesus Have In Common by Nobody: 12:24am On Jul 03, 2006
Logical:

You know what, we are just going in a cycle, and honestly I do think I am better off letting you think whatever you want to think, because I have discovered that you don't want to reason beyond what you have made yourself to believe.

Hence I am ending this debate, when you are ready to provide tangible proofs to whatever you accuse Islam of, Do let me know. I would be glad to continue, until then, have a nice day.

As usual, you take the cowards way out because you have exhausted your shallow knowledge. Go and listen more at friday prayers and come back.

No one has accused Islam of anything, the topic if i am right says "things mohammed and Jesus have in common". I have tried my possible best to let you know they have ABSOLUTELY NOTHING in common. you on the other hand have made me see that the bible i carry is a "hoax", "deceptive" and misinterpreted. So much for those accusing!
Re: Things Mohammad And Jesus Have In Common by Logical(m): 12:30am On Jul 03, 2006
davidylan:

As usual, you take the cowards way out because you have exhausted your shallow knowledge.

Exactly smiley Because from your understanding cowards are those who choose to argue based on facts laid down, if that is so I agree to your definition of being a coward.

davidylan:

Go and listen more at friday prayers and come back.
Besides you don't need to be provocative at your ending to get your points across. We could always have a nice conversation without your hatred revealing itself childishly. wink
Re: Things Mohammad And Jesus Have In Common by Nobody: 12:32am On Jul 03, 2006
Logical:

Exactly smiley Because from your understanding cowards are those who choose to argue based on facts laid down, if that is so I agree to your definition of cowardice.

Besides you don't need to be provocative at your ending to get your points across. wink

Sorry for the wrong use of words. Apologies aplenty.
Re: Things Mohammad And Jesus Have In Common by mlksbaby(f): 7:55am On Jul 03, 2006
Logical:

It helps if put in right context with the chain of narrations that support a specific report, in giving us the glimpse of the nature and enviroment, besides how the life of the first muslims was like, and hence sometimes can be used in making  decisions based on the contextual refrences.

@Logical,

I deeply appreciate your answers to my enquiry. Thank you.
Re: Things Mohammad And Jesus Have In Common by donnie(m): 8:35pm On Jul 06, 2006
I heard on the news yesterday of some pwoplw who were murdered , i think in Iraq for wathcing the world cup on-line. There ahad been a law passed prohibbiting people from watching any movie or prog. online.
Re: Things Mohammad And Jesus Have In Common by TayoD(m): 9:03pm On Jul 06, 2006
Donnie,

It actually happened in Somalia.  See:  http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/5150118.stm
Re: Things Mohammad And Jesus Have In Common by belloti(m): 10:34am On Jul 07, 2006
The shooting in somalia was a criminal thing. the culprits were arrested and would be prosecuted in line with islamic laws that forbids any wrongful killing of innocent people.
Re: Things Mohammad And Jesus Have In Common by ajia23(m): 12:35pm On Jul 07, 2006
Besides, the worldcup matches were banned because they were ads of alcoholic drinks aired along with the matches. Alcoholic drinks are forbidden in Islam. However, a better way to combat that problem may be to screen those ads out of the footage. This may not be possible in Somalia presently because of the lack of inrastructure, hence I understnnd the ban.
Re: Things Mohammad And Jesus Have In Common by 4getme1(m): 12:37pm On Jul 07, 2006
What really drives people into such kinds of acts against their own fellows - especially in this age?   It's a bit worrisome that we have more and more of these shootings by some Muslims at other Muslims for harmlessly social activities. One week it was the shooting an Iraqi coach and two tennis players team for wearing shorts; and we've not quite recovered from that before we get to digest another sad story about people being killed for just watching a football match?

Criminal as these spate of shootings are, could there be any possible underlying religious ideology behind it? I was browsing the news online and came across this not-so-smiley report above the harrassments of Muslims by their fellow Muslims in Iraq. As the story goes, it seems that some people just take it upon themselves to do and undo whatever they feel like, in the name of a religious attachment. Excepts of the Telegraph report titled "Pack up or die, street vendors told":

- 'As the purveyors of nothing spicier than the odd dash of hot chilli sauce, Baghdad's falafel vendors had never imagined their snacks might be deemed a threat to public morality.

Now, though, their simple offerings of chickpeas fried in breadcrumbs have gone the same way as alcohol, pop music and foreign films - labelled theologically impure by the country's growing number of Islamic zealots.

In a bizarre example of Iraq's creeping "Talibanisation", militants visited falafel vendors a fortnight ago, telling them to pack up their stalls by today or be killed.

The ultimatum seemed so odd that, at first, most laughed it off - until two of them were shot dead as they plied their trade.

"They came telling us, 'You have 14 days to end this job' and I asked them what was the problem," said Abu Zeinab, 32, who was packing up his stall for good yesterday in the suburb of al Dora, a hardline Sunni neighbourhood.

"I said I was just feeding the people, but they said there were no falafels in Mohammed the prophet's time, so we shouldn't have them either.

"I felt like telling them there were no Kalashnikovs in Mohammed's time either, but I wanted to keep my life."

Why Baghdad's falafel vendors should be blacklisted while their colleagues are allowed to continue selling kebabs or Western-style pizzas and burgers remains a mystery.'

------------------------------------------------------------------

Not all Muslims condone these developments, and it's a great thing to hear more and more of them speaking up to counter this state of affairs. One cannot blame it on the Prophet Muhammad himself; although I think those in authority in such Muslim communities should not just allow things to play out unnoticed. In the case of the Somali shooting incident, we would like to see action follow the promise of those in authority to bring the sinister perpetrators to book.
Re: Things Mohammad And Jesus Have In Common by ajia23(m): 12:51pm On Jul 07, 2006
4get_me:

What really drives people into such kinds of acts against their own fellows - especially in this age?  It's a bit worrisome that we have more and more of these shootings by some Muslims at other Muslims for harmlessly social activities. One week it was the shooting an Iraqi coach and two tennis players team for wearing shorts; and we've not quite recovered from that before we get to digest another sad story about people being killed for just watching a football match?

Criminal as these spate of shootings are, could there be any possible underlying religious ideology behind it? I was browsing the news online and came across this not-so-smiley report above the harrassments of Muslims by their fellow Muslims in Iraq. As the story goes, it seems that some people just take it upon themselves to do and undo whatever they feel like, in the name of a religious attachment

What you have said here is akin to saying, why did pope urban order the church to kill muslims and other christians in the name of fighting a religious war? Or why would Hitler kill the Jews, or why would Stalin inspite of confessing christianity kill over 30 million Russians who confessed christianity and other persuasions because they opposed his  beliefs? Are all these actions sanctioned by a religious ideology?

If you think the answer to the questions above are obvious, you should be able to apply it to the muslim situation as well
Re: Things Mohammad And Jesus Have In Common by 4getme1(m): 1:59pm On Jul 07, 2006
ajia23:

If you think the answer to the questions above are obvious, you should be able to apply it to the muslim situation as well

Oh, really? Then you're suggesting that I assume that the fellows who proclaim themselves Muslims should get your thumbs up for going about and ending people's jobs and lives for merely selling falafel for a living? Or they should be given more feathers to their caps for shooting sportsmen just for wearing shorts?
Re: Things Mohammad And Jesus Have In Common by belloti(m): 3:51pm On Jul 07, 2006
Logical:

I really cant figure why it took you so long to realise this. Anyway, i am happy you finally got fed up with the useless dilly dallying. This is not about providing explanations, its basically crusaders antics vainly trying to portray Islam in bad lights. We are muslims and we dont care how bad you feel about that. Let everyone paddle his own canoe and when we finally die one day we all answer to the Lord Almighty.
Re: Things Mohammad And Jesus Have In Common by Nobody: 4:02pm On Jul 07, 2006
belloti:

I really can't figure why it took you so long to realise this. Anyway, i am happy you finally got fed up with the useless dilly dallying. This is not about providing explanations, its basically crusaders antics vainly trying to portray Islam in bad lights. We are muslims and we don't care how bad you feel about that. Let everyone paddle his own canoe and when we finally die one day we all answer to the Lord Almighty.

I can't help laughing when i read posts like this.
Since when did Allah suddenly become refered to as "Lord Almighty"?
I thot muslims just went straight to the laps of 72 virgins? why answer to God?
Let everyone paddle his own canoe? The mujahideens in Afghanistan did not think of that when they threatened to kill the christian convert did they?
Portraying Islam in bad light? Does terrorism, pedophilia, religious intolerance and murder in the name of God count as "good" light?
Re: Things Mohammad And Jesus Have In Common by belloti(m): 5:53pm On Jul 07, 2006
Davidylan, please leave us alone oh

cheesy grin undecided lipsrsealed

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Points To Assist A Declining Marriage / The Story Of Prophet Luut / Ten Misconceptions Among Muslims

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 122
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.