Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,167,066 members, 7,867,019 topics. Date: Friday, 21 June 2024 at 09:47 AM

Nigerian Random Facts! you didn't know - Nairaland / General (21) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Nigerian Random Facts! you didn't know (29589 Views)

Some Disturbing Facts You Probably Don't Know About DEATH. / Random Photos Of Some Beautifully Decorated Areas In Lagos / 10 Random Facts About Yourself (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) (23) (24) ... (32) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Random Facts! you didn't know by Fulaman198(m): 11:21pm On Oct 11, 2013
Kingmojo:

I don't know why, but that's what most people think. Once you are from the north and Muslim you are automatically considered Hausa. Like there aren't other tribes up north. Do we have fulanis in Ghana.

Fulani are in every West African country
Re: Nigerian Random Facts! you didn't know by Nobody: 11:25pm On Oct 11, 2013
Fulaman198:

Correct, and even Upper Volta (Burkina Faso) you will find Hausa. That's a good question that you pose though. I hear that Ghana detests Fulani people.

I don't know about that, because Ghana is not really tribal. If there is tribal conflict it tends to be online and it mostly Ashanti's and ewes. I read on ghaanaweb about some northern communities in Ghana having problems with Fulani herdsmen. Apart from that I don't think people will hate fulanis in Ghana because of they are fulanis.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Random Facts! you didn't know by Fulaman198(m): 11:27pm On Oct 11, 2013
Kingmojo:

I don't know about that, because Ghana is not really tribal. If there is tribal conflict it tends to be online and it mostly Ashanti's and ewes. I read on ghaanaweb about some northern communities in Ghana having problems with Fulani herdsmen. Apart from that I don't think people will hate fulanis in Ghana because of they are fulanis.

I understand
Re: Nigerian Random Facts! you didn't know by Nobody: 11:29pm On Oct 11, 2013
Fulaman198:

Fulani are in every West African country

For real, I will do more research on it. I heard in Liberia and Sierra Leone the fulanis over there are originally from guinea and they don't have indigenous Fulani tribe.

I didn't know about Fulanis in Ghana but about 15% of burkina pop is Fulani.

I read that Fulas can be found in Eritrea too.

What is the largest tribe in west Africa ? I think it goes like this

1. Hausa
2.yoruba
3. Fulani
4. Igbo
5. Akan

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Random Facts! you didn't know by Fulaman198(m): 11:33pm On Oct 11, 2013
Kingmojo:

For real, I will do more research on it. I heard in Liberia and Sierra Leone the fulanis over there are originally from guinea and they don't have indigenous Fulani tribe.

I didn't know about Fulanis in Ghana but about 15% of burkina pop is Fulani.

That is correct the Fulani in Liberia and Sierra Leone are originally from Guinea and they are referred to as Foutajaloore Fulbe. Burkina Fulani are referred to as Maasinkooré Fulbe.
Re: Nigerian Random Facts! you didn't know by sopufischer: 11:34pm On Oct 11, 2013
Re: Nigerian Random Facts! you didn't know by Obrafour(m): 11:34pm On Oct 11, 2013
GhanaWeb:
Bizarre Xenophobia from Kumasi,
300 Year Stay In Ghana Does Not Make
You A Ghanaian-Immigration

The Zongo Community in Kumasi are
angry over growing xenophobia and
ethnic discrimination after a leading
member of the community denied a
passport because of his ethnic identity
and origin.
The Ghana Immigration Service (GIS)
was said to have argued that, there is
nothing called Hausa tribe in Ghana and therefore anybody who has his/her
ethnic origin outside Ghana is not a
Ghanaians.
“Being in Ghana for more than 300
years does not make you a Ghanaian”.
This came to light at a well attended
press conference in Kumasi by the
Zongo Community calling on the
government to clarify the position of
members of their tribe in Ghana. The
Chairman of the Zongo Community in
Kumasi, Alhaji S. M. Shariff, told a press conference that they are dreading the ongoing consequences of this year’s voter’s registration exercise, as they fear a problem of citizenship and identity, which they experienced during the population census exercise in 2010, will re-occur again.
The call also follows the recent refusal
by the official of the Ghana Immigraton
Service (GIS) in Kumasi to grant a
Ghana Passport to one Malam Shaibu
Suleimana, because the GIS officials
claim he is a Hausa by tribe and does
not qualify for a Ghanaian passport.
Malam Shaibu, who doubles as the Vice-Chairman of the National Democratic Congress (NDC) in the Subin Constituency in Kumasi, said he was refused a Ghanaian Passport though he fully satisfied the requiements needed for one to be granted a passport. Alhaji
Shariff said, Malam Shaibu then
informed the Sarkin Zongo of his
predicament. The Sarkin Zongo,
according to the chairman tasked some
people to verify the allegation made by
Malam Shaibu Suleimana against the
Ashanti region passport office.
“After the committee found the
information to be true, the Zongo chief
reportedly had a discussion with the
Director of Passport in Kumasi, one Mr.
Sylvester and explained to him that the
Hausas in Ghana are real Ghanaians
whose history date back 300 years ago”. “We want the government to come clear on the citizenship of Hausa people in Ghana in order to put an end to the confusion”, he added they would require the government to
publicly come out to explain the position of Hausa people in Ghana.
“We are Hausa of Ghana and not
Nigeria, Cameroun, Niger, Sudan and
Benin and our forefathers were in the
country even before the state Ghana
was born
, so there should be no doubt
Re: Nigerian Random Facts! you didn't know by Adamskuty(m): 11:43pm On Oct 11, 2013
I thought sanusi is hausa,i know he got some fulani blood in him,but he sees himself as hausa
Re: Nigerian Random Facts! you didn't know by Nobody: 11:43pm On Oct 11, 2013
[quote author=Obrafour][/quote]

Who ever wrote the article is stupid, once you are born in Ghana, you are Ghanaian. Let alone somebody who ancestry go as far back as 300 years.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Random Facts! you didn't know by RoyalPearl(f): 11:44pm On Oct 11, 2013
Hausa, Ewe, Ga etc are all Ghanaian end of story. Just like the Akans in Ivory Coast are Ivorian( not Ghanaian even though they have their ties from Ghana). For the most part people believe this, only few ignorant tribalistic buffoons will say such a thing. Truth is a lot of West African countries may have their roots elsewhere(forefathers) but we are looking at present day and that is what counts the most.

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian Random Facts! you didn't know by RoyalPearl(f): 11:44pm On Oct 11, 2013
Kingmojo:

Who ever wrote the article is stupid, once you are born in Ghana, you are Ghanaian. Let alone somebody who ancestry go as far back as 300 years.
Exactly
Re: Nigerian Random Facts! you didn't know by Obrafour(m): 11:46pm On Oct 11, 2013
Fulaman198:
Correct, and even Upper Volta
(Burkina Faso) you will find Hausa.
That's a good question that you pose
though. I hear that Ghana detests
Fulani people

Ghanaians detests lawbreakers, especially when they are foreigners. The fulani herdsmen/nomads are only interested in the wellbeign of their cattles, most of them send their cows to graze on farmlands. In view of this, anytime there is a confrontation between the farmers and the nomads, Ghanaians call for the re-activation of the Rawlings era Operation Cowleg, where he ordered soldiers to drive away all nomads or have your cattles confiscated.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Random Facts! you didn't know by Fulaman198(m): 11:46pm On Oct 11, 2013
Adamskuty: I thought sanusi is hausa,i know he got some fulani blood in him,but he sees himself as hausa

He might be one of those Fulanis who only speaks Hausa. But Lamido is only a title given to Fulani nobles that are rulers e.g. the Lamido of Adamawa, Lamido Hayatou Galim
Re: Nigerian Random Facts! you didn't know by Adamskuty(m): 11:49pm On Oct 11, 2013
Fulaman198:

He might be one of those Fulanis who only speaks Hausa. But Lamido is only a title given to Fulani nobles that are rulers e.g. the Lamido of Adamawa, Lamido Hayatou Galim
hmm! Cool,but i thought fulanis who speak the fulani language dont see those who can't speak it as fulani
Re: Nigerian Random Facts! you didn't know by Fulaman198(m): 11:52pm On Oct 11, 2013
Adamskuty: hmm! Cool,but i thought fulanis who speak the fulani language dont see those who can't speak it as fulani

It is more of a traditional thing.

He may be a Fulani ethnically (by blood), but in the eyes of other Fulbe, he is just a Hausa man. I refer to those people as Hausanized.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Random Facts! you didn't know by Nobody: 11:56pm On Oct 11, 2013
Royal^^Pearl^^:
Hausa, Ewe, Ga etc are all Ghanaian end of story. Just like the Akans in Ivory Coast are Ivorian( not Ghanaian even though they have their ties from Ghana). For the most part people believe this, only few ignorant tribalistic buffoons will say such a thing. Truth is a lot of West African countries may have their roots elsewhere(forefathers) but we are looking at present day and that is what counts the most.

That's why I think Africans needs to gets their acts together and build roads and railroad to eliminate these barriers. The British and the French were very smart and knew that these barriers were going to be a thorn in our fresh when they drew up these boundaries.

When u realize this u realize that it is really pointless fighting about who is better because we didn't we really have a choice in being from whatever nationality that we come from. I am ghanaian by chance, just like onila, Sybella are nigerian and Ivorian by chance. Sybella could have easily been Ghanaianand Onila could have been easily a Cameroonian

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian Random Facts! you didn't know by Adamskuty(m): 11:59pm On Oct 11, 2013
Fulaman198:

It is more of a traditional thing.

He may be a Fulani ethnically (by blood), but in the eyes of other Fulbe, he is just a Hausa man. I refer to those people as Hausanized.
since fulani is the 4th largest ethnic group in nigeria,it will be advisable if the language is taught in schools alonside igbo,hausa and yoruba,i have many fulani friends who speak only hausas but some speak the fulani language (but very little of it) .

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Random Facts! you didn't know by Adamskuty(m): 12:00am On Oct 12, 2013
Kingmojo:

That's why I think Africans needs to gets their acts together and build roads and railroad to eliminate these barriers. The British and the French were very smart and knew that these barriers were going to be a thorn in our fresh when they drew up these boundaries.

When u realize this u realize that it is really pointless fighting about who is better because we didn't we really have a choice in being from whatever nationality that we come from. I am ghanaian by chance, just like onila, Sybella are nigerian and Ivorian by chance. Sybella could have easily been Ghanaianand Onila could have been easily a Cameroonian
nice write up grin u so right!

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Random Facts! you didn't know by RoyalPearl(f): 12:09am On Oct 12, 2013
Adamskuty you have really changed shocked shocked
Re: Nigerian Random Facts! you didn't know by Fulaman198(m): 12:12am On Oct 12, 2013
Adamskuty: since fulani is the 4th largest ethnic group in nigeria,it will be advisable if the language is taught in schools alonside igbo,hausa and yoruba,i have many fulani friends who speak only hausas but some speak the fulani language (but very little of it) .

It is taught in Adamawa state as well as Gombe. It is taught in other northern states as well. Yola is one of the biggest areas to learn Fulfulde (the proper name of Fulani language). I speak the Mbororo dialect which is pure Fulfulde.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Random Facts! you didn't know by Adamskuty(m): 12:12am On Oct 12, 2013
Royal^^Pearl^^:
how? grin i have always being myself
Re: Nigerian Random Facts! you didn't know by RoyalPearl(f): 12:15am On Oct 12, 2013
Adamskuty: how? grin i have always being myself
Lol have not seen this "nice side" before lol well at least wrt Ghanaians. It's nice
Re: Nigerian Random Facts! you didn't know by Nobody: 12:16am On Oct 12, 2013
Royal^^Pearl^^:

I don't blame him, e fights are so fun and addictive, sometimes we all get caught up and take it to level that is hateful, prejudice and downright ignorant.

I love getting in e fights with Nigerians but from now on I will keep my argument pg13
Re: Nigerian Random Facts! you didn't know by Adamskuty(m): 12:19am On Oct 12, 2013
Fulaman198:

It is taught in Adamawa state as well as Gombe. It is taught in other northern states as well. Yola is one of the biggest areas to learn Fulfulde (the proper name of Fulani language). I speak the Mbororo dialect which is pure Fulfulde.
good! I know very little about all these,lol
Re: Nigerian Random Facts! you didn't know by RoyalPearl(f): 12:19am On Oct 12, 2013
Kingmojo:

I don't blame him, e fights are so fun and addictive, sometimes we all get caught up and take it to level that is hateful, prejudice and downright ignorant.

I love getting in e fights with Nigerians but from now on I will keep my argument pg13
Maybe during soccer it's nice for you boys but honestly am sick of the whole thing. Prefer it when we can rather learn from one another such as like now, instead of spending all day and night fighting about rubbish lol. I remember the was a thread about Ghanaian guys(100 pages of fighting). I do not think you were on Nairaland yet but it was kinda funny though
Re: Nigerian Random Facts! you didn't know by Adamskuty(m): 12:21am On Oct 12, 2013
Royal^^Pearl^^:
Lol have not seen this "nice side" before lol well at least wrt Ghanaians. It's nice
just because one always engage in e-wars doesn't mean he/she isn't nice in real life,i'm actually the quiet type,i hardly talk grin
Re: Nigerian Random Facts! you didn't know by Fulaman198(m): 12:22am On Oct 12, 2013
Adamskuty: good! I know very little about all these,lol

Adamawa dialect is known as Fombina dialect, but within that, you have the non-nomadic Fulani who speak an Adamawa dialect (Jalingo included) that has some Hausa influence. The Mbororo dialect of the Fulani language is more pure, because it is the nomadic language that is more unadultered. The Wodaabe Fulbe (Wodaabe Fulani speak this variant), and other Mbororos living in Nigeria, Chad, Cameroon, Central African Republic as well speak the Mbororo Fombina dialect.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Random Facts! you didn't know by Nobody: 12:24am On Oct 12, 2013
Royal^^Pearl^^:
Maybe during soccer it's nice for you boys but honestly am sick of the whole thing. Prefer it when we can rather learn from one another such as like now, instead of spending all day and night fighting about rubbish lol. I remember the was a thread about Ghanaian guys(100 pages of fighting). I do not think you were on Nairaland yet but it was kinda funny though

I was there front and center. I was one of the main culprit, me and Cameroonpride.
Re: Nigerian Random Facts! you didn't know by RoyalPearl(f): 12:25am On Oct 12, 2013
Adamskuty: just because one always engage in e-wars doesn't mean he/she isn't nice in real life,i'm actually the quiet type,i hardly talk grin
Lol that's true. Seriously!!! Well it's always the quiet types that are most crazy i've heard smiley
Re: Nigerian Random Facts! you didn't know by RoyalPearl(f): 12:26am On Oct 12, 2013
Kingmojo:

I was there front and center. I was one of the main culprit, me and Cameroonpride.
Yeah i think we all went hard even me. Where is Cameroonpride? I miss him
Re: Nigerian Random Facts! you didn't know by Nobody: 12:28am On Oct 12, 2013
Royal^^Pearl^^:
Yeah i think we all went hard even me. Where is Cameroonpride? I miss him

Yeah u and onila went at each other. You bringing out the monkey with the rainbow fart. Too funny
Re: Nigerian Random Facts! you didn't know by Adamskuty(m): 12:31am On Oct 12, 2013
Royal^^Pearl^^:
Lol that's true. Seriously!!! Well it's always the quiet types that are most crazy i've heard smiley
smiley tongue

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) (23) (24) ... (32)

10 Unique Things That Are Common In Lagos / INEC Official, Three Other Female Dead Bodies Found In Room In Anambra / How To Post On Nairaland

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.