Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,161,398 members, 7,846,674 topics. Date: Friday, 31 May 2024 at 08:53 PM

Professor Gambari Called Niger Delta People Criminals - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Professor Gambari Called Niger Delta People Criminals (991 Views)

Bomb Blast At Gambari Market Maiduguri This Morning (Photos) / Picture South east Rivers State Reject Been Called Niger Delta Or South South / Who owns oil? - This Madness Called Niger-delta Struggle Must Stop (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Professor Gambari Called Niger Delta People Criminals by bilymuse: 10:21am On Jul 01, 2008
Summit: FG, N-Delta leaders' talks hit rocks

A LAST-DITCH attempt by the Federal Government to rally South-South leaders behind it over the planned Niger Delta Summit hit the rocks, Sunday night, in Abuja with the South-South leaders rejecting the talks.

The Niger Delta leaders at the Sunday meeting told the Vice President to advise President Umaru Yar’Adua to shelve the planned summit as the region would neither attend nor have anything to do with the talks to be chaired by one-time External Affairs Minister, Professor Ibrahim Gambari

Leaders ask FG to implement past reports

“They told Jonathan that what Federal Government should do is to set up a body to appraise the various reports that have been submitted on the way forward for the Niger Delta, from the Willinks Commission of 1958 to 2007 and let the body come out with the things to be done or not done from the different reports, and then, the larger house like the stakeholders gathered, could be called to fine-tune and ratify the final report,” source said.

It was gathered that emotions were charged at the meeting when the issue of Gambari’s chairmanship of the rejected summit was raised and speaker after speaker lambasted him for his previous utterances on matters concerning the region.

One of the leaders from Rivers State was particularly angry, saying Prof Gambari referred to him and others, including the late Ken Saro-Wiwa as common criminals, adding that it was by the grace of God that he escaped death.

He queried why such a man who sees Niger Deltans as common criminals would be invited to preside at a meeting where the destiny of the people of the region would be discussed.
The statement by the Northern group, Arewa Consultative Forum (ACF), blaming Niger Delta elders for the militancy in the region did not help matters

source:http://www.vanguardngr.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=11387&Itemid=0
Re: Professor Gambari Called Niger Delta People Criminals by vikiviko(m): 11:06am On Jul 01, 2008
Professor Gambari is not the ideal man for the job.

There are notable Nigerians ;ike Soyinka, Anyaoku, Kukah, etc
Re: Professor Gambari Called Niger Delta People Criminals by luv2talk(m): 2:15pm On Jul 01, 2008
@vikiviko
Bros,you just worse the situation,do these people possess any foreign conflict resolution experience.Gambari serves as a Neutral Mind who will remove chaff from grain and reveal the real image of the masquerade that is tormenting Niger-Delta.He is a man of Honour and respect.
Remember,He was invited from United Nation.i think you should suggest any other person in Nigeria that can withstand his credential, Your response to this will be highly appreciated
Re: Professor Gambari Called Niger Delta People Criminals by oruwe: 3:02pm On Jul 01, 2008
@Vikiviko
Kukah is not a good material for such a job. We all knew the way he was sleeping, winning and dinning in ASO rock with the devil OBJ without ever seeing any thing bad in his eigth years of bad governance. Infact, Kukah is a politician and istaunch member of PDP and one of the OBJ errand boys. We dey see o.
Re: Professor Gambari Called Niger Delta People Criminals by otokx(m): 4:55pm On Jul 01, 2008
All these summit are just a waste of time.
Re: Professor Gambari Called Niger Delta People Criminals by vikiviko(m): 7:38pm On Jul 01, 2008
My worry is the manner at which Yar'adua is going about the whole show, Gambari is not the most qualified for the job.

If you can remember he was the same person that was deceiving the world to understand the rationale and justification for the Abacha govt to have crucified Saro Wiwa.
Re: Professor Gambari Called Niger Delta People Criminals by Nobody: 7:50pm On Jul 01, 2008
another summit, more "reports", no change, same problem. Nigeria keeps running in circles.
Re: Professor Gambari Called Niger Delta People Criminals by noetic(m): 7:56pm On Jul 01, 2008
This is Africa, where leaders are expected to have a great influence on the people. Here I mean traditional or conventional leaders and not political leaders.

In the name of peace for the "niger-delta" some people call themselves leaders and have been attending confrences, residing in 5 star hotels, collecting monies in form of royalties, support and sponsor militancy and some participating in illegal oil bunkering. why have these leaders not found an imminent solution all this while? why another conference?

I have no doubt in my mind that just like Gambari said with the exclusion of Ken saro-wiwa these guys are criminals.
another waste of money at the detriment of the common man.
Re: Professor Gambari Called Niger Delta People Criminals by bilymuse: 7:16pm On Jul 02, 2008
the government, Gambari inclusive, who loot the public treasury to the tune of N240 million daily are a bigger criminals
Re: Professor Gambari Called Niger Delta People Criminals by obiem(m): 9:15pm On Jul 02, 2008
I never believe in any of these their conferences or truth commission or whatever name they choose to call it. It won't work. The solution is simple; develop the niger delta period. For Prof Gambari to say that is very wrong as he has lost my respect. He should choose his words next time, if there would ever be one.
Re: Professor Gambari Called Niger Delta People Criminals by doyin13(m): 9:37pm On Jul 02, 2008
Abi ooo. Most of you have hit the nail on the head.

Another summit after all the previous ones.

Enough is Enough abeg
Re: Professor Gambari Called Niger Delta People Criminals by bilymuse: 8:57pm On Jul 03, 2008
l believe Niger delta people would be making fool of themselves if they attend the summit.
Re: Professor Gambari Called Niger Delta People Criminals by Radiant(f): 11:03pm On Jul 03, 2008
Always speaking big grammar yet nothing to show. Let's just say Nigeria is a carousel.
Re: Professor Gambari Called Niger Delta People Criminals by noetic(m): 11:08pm On Jul 03, 2008
Radiant:

Always speaking big grammar yet nothing to show. Let's just say Nigeria is a carousel.
grin grin grin
Re: Professor Gambari Called Niger Delta People Criminals by cescky(m): 11:30pm On Jul 03, 2008
luv2talk:

@vikiviko
Bros,you just worse the situation,do these people possess any foreign conflict resolution experience.Gambari serves as a Neutral Mind who will remove chaff from grain and reveal the real image of the masquerade that is tormenting Niger-Delta.He is a man of Honour and respect.
Remember,He was invited from United Nation.i think you should suggest any other person in Nigeria that can withstand his credential, Your response to this will be highly appreciated

so what? ever heard of emeka ayoku, the main issue is the fact that the people whom the issue affect the most are not interested in gambari being in charge of what ever meeting,
indirectly the so called reconcilation has even hit a brick wall before it has started
vikiviko:

My worry is the manner at which Yar'adua is going about the whole show, Gambari is not the most qualified for the job.

If you can remember he was the same person that was deceiving the world to understand the rationale and justification for the Abacha govt to have crucified Saro Wiwa.

abeg tell them ooo,if u ask me am begining to suspect this our president(same ol same)
this gambari isnt even from miles near niger delta ,some thins going on in that aso rock(according to our beloved presidor the best persons qualified to head his various cabinets are between ony the states of sokoto to kaduna) ie when he was asked on tv why all his cabinet members are from the north
God dey.
Re: Professor Gambari Called Niger Delta People Criminals by Lady2(f): 2:47am On Jul 04, 2008
Quite frankly Gambari is neutral and was appointed by the United Nations, so those of you quick to jump on Yar'Adua please hold it. The UN had a say in it.

But if the Niger-Deltans are unwilling to work with Gambari then another person needs to be found, because forcing Gambari on them will only make matters worse.

Personally I doubt that the so-called leaders of Niger Delta really do care for the people. They are looking for their own interests. I was all for Kofi Annan, and do hope that he will eventually be chosen. Maybe then we will see whether these Niger-Deltans are criminals or really care for the people.

(1) (Reply)

My Understanding Of Ojukwu’s Role And The Emergence Of Biafra. / Who Is Pdp Candidate In Imo State- Ohakim Or Ararume? / Yar Adua Not In Saudi Hospital

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.