Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,459 members, 7,819,674 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 08:37 PM

Lecturers At Kogi Polytechnic Charge For 'handouts' - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Lecturers At Kogi Polytechnic Charge For 'handouts' (6096 Views)

Okada Man Kills Student In Kogi-Polytechnic Because Of N10 / Kogi Polytechnic Renamed After Prince Abubakar Audu / Salary Scale Of Lecturers In Nigerian Universities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Lecturers At Kogi Polytechnic Charge For 'handouts' by Gizborne: 2:32pm On Oct 09, 2013
Education was declared a basic right of an individual by the United Nations years ago, and while others around the world took this as a challenge, the Nigerian state is still struggling to make that a reality even for 50% of its population. That notwithstanding, coupled with the defiant nature of the people against what might seem to bring them down, many toil day and night defiling the course of nature in the process just to get quality education which is almost a taboo in this part of the world. This was what prompted students from various part of the country in a quest for quality education to find themselves trooping in through the front gate of the Kogi state polytechnic, Lokoja. One need not explain the level of poverty and neglect the Nigerian populace struggle with, it’s so ridiculous that paying the school fees of wards is celebrated as a great feat in some families. After all the fights and strides to gain admission, and funding the very expensive process, some wicked individuals have sworn to even make that process more tedious by adding to the long list of bills to pay in the guise of providing study materials otherwise known as “hand outs” to students at exorbitant rates.

The students of the Kogi state polytechnic, Lokoja will put up with all the below par treatment from the host community, the brutality of hooligans, the deplorable state of infrastructures etc but won’t be subjected to a 21st century kind of slavery by selfish, greedy and heartless lecturers who instead of effectively managing the minimal resources for the gain of all will engage in the shameless act of demanding extra fare from students and parents trying to earn a decent future for themselves. Investigations reveal that lecturers charge up to 2000naira for some few paged note in a country where the average man live on below $1 per day. It’s quite unfortunate that the same lecturers who would threaten fire and brim stone if their pay delays for a day engage in this kind of gruesome act, the same set of people who will criticize every move of government and label political office holders corrupt are here making life unbearable for young Nigerians who we call the leaders of tomorrow.

Against this backdrop, I’m saying it’s time to rise, it’s time to stand up for what’s right, it’s time to tell these modern day robbers to their face to stop this insanity before it gets out of hand. It’s time for the authorities to keep this kind of attitude in check, encourage equity and fairness and punish offenders to keep others out. Nobody will accept double taxation from government, students shouldn’t suffer same. Add a voice to this campaign; I’m sure there are other institutions that are experiencing this too. Japheth J. Omojuwa said “the quest for change is not a switch, it’s a marathon” let the race begin!

http://giz-pen..com/2013/10/kogi-poly-where-lecturers-still-charge.html
Re: Lecturers At Kogi Polytechnic Charge For 'handouts' by loverboi(m): 3:19pm On Oct 09, 2013
Yess oo, its annoying, imagine u buy handouts of an average of 2,000 and u offer 13 courses dats 26,000
Front page pls, let's stop this madness
Re: Lecturers At Kogi Polytechnic Charge For 'handouts' by Jensenelizz(m): 1:38pm On Oct 10, 2013
Man must chop na grin
second to comment
Re: Lecturers At Kogi Polytechnic Charge For 'handouts' by DexterM(m): 1:39pm On Oct 10, 2013
We hope on God to save Nigeria.
Re: Lecturers At Kogi Polytechnic Charge For 'handouts' by sharubutu(m): 1:40pm On Oct 10, 2013
Don't worry; we'll kill them all very soon. That's why some of us are at the for front of the campaign for revolution in this country. So many things are wrong!
Re: Lecturers At Kogi Polytechnic Charge For 'handouts' by ndukwejoe(m): 1:41pm On Oct 10, 2013
i condemn this illegality with every ounce of strength in me.
Re: Lecturers At Kogi Polytechnic Charge For 'handouts' by Jensenelizz(m): 1:43pm On Oct 10, 2013
@op Guy dey dere make pant dey wear u...our naija lecturer re too greedy,even if gov pay them #10million salary dem go still charge 2k for handouts
Re: Lecturers At Kogi Polytechnic Charge For 'handouts' by Nobody: 1:44pm On Oct 10, 2013
There is no hand outs in my school but we are forced to buy textbooks authored by Adam and Eve
fighting for the student my fat black bom bom
Re: Lecturers At Kogi Polytechnic Charge For 'handouts' by Odunharry(m): 1:44pm On Oct 10, 2013
very bad...some teachers still commit professional misconduct...abeg they shud be reprimanded..
Re: Lecturers At Kogi Polytechnic Charge For 'handouts' by vaderemi: 1:46pm On Oct 10, 2013
God will revive this country and take her to the rigthful state one day
Re: Lecturers At Kogi Polytechnic Charge For 'handouts' by bisi16(m): 1:51pm On Oct 10, 2013
what! so outdated.. they need a change of vc
Re: Lecturers At Kogi Polytechnic Charge For 'handouts' by Nobody: 1:58pm On Oct 10, 2013
VERY SILLY HABIT...

MTCHEEWWW
Re: Lecturers At Kogi Polytechnic Charge For 'handouts' by Rejoice5000(f): 2:01pm On Oct 10, 2013
and so?? the man no go eat, he no get family?
Re: Lecturers At Kogi Polytechnic Charge For 'handouts' by DisGuy: 2:06pm On Oct 10, 2013
Rejoice5000: and so?? the man no go eat, he no get family?

and what's his salary for? saving?
Re: Lecturers At Kogi Polytechnic Charge For 'handouts' by buccal(m): 2:10pm On Oct 10, 2013
Some even dare to fail the students if they don't buy,they use handouts to award marks and if u don't buy,know that you are taking that course again,its jst so unfair
Re: Lecturers At Kogi Polytechnic Charge For 'handouts' by swhiss: 2:12pm On Oct 10, 2013
bisi16: what! so outdated.. they need a change of vc

supported!....they need a change of RECTOR not V.C please
Re: Lecturers At Kogi Polytechnic Charge For 'handouts' by hayordelevic(m): 2:52pm On Oct 10, 2013
KOGI is a dead state nothing is ever right up till now not even the staff salaries have been paid! Agreed nigeria is bad but kogi state is worse! That's just the sad truth

2 Likes

Re: Lecturers At Kogi Polytechnic Charge For 'handouts' by toptop: 2:54pm On Oct 10, 2013
Dis Guy:

and what's his salary for? saving?
And how much is his so-called salary? These students complaining will not buy text books, yet they detest handout. Ask them how many text books they have and read. These handouts will make life easy for our lazy students.
Re: Lecturers At Kogi Polytechnic Charge For 'handouts' by xtophy(m): 2:54pm On Oct 10, 2013
thank God, my school own no reach 2k, just #1700......
Re: Lecturers At Kogi Polytechnic Charge For 'handouts' by hayordelevic(m): 2:55pm On Oct 10, 2013
Ogar.monday:
There is no hand outs in my school but we are forced to buy textbooks authored by Adam and Eve
fighting for the student my fat black bom bom
Handouts and text books na samething my brother as long as u are forced to buy them
Re: Lecturers At Kogi Polytechnic Charge For 'handouts' by Seth89(m): 2:56pm On Oct 10, 2013
Gizborne: Education was declared a basic right of an individual by the United Nations years ago, and while others around the world took this as a challenge, the Nigerian state is still struggling to make that a reality even for 50% of its population. That notwithstanding, coupled with the defiant nature of the people against what might seem to bring them down, many toil day and night defiling the course of nature in the process just to get quality education which is almost a taboo in this part of the world. This was what prompted students from various part of the country in a quest for quality education to find themselves trooping in through the front gate of the Kogi state polytechnic, Lokoja. One need not explain the level of poverty and neglect the Nigerian populace struggle with, it’s so ridiculous that paying the school fees of wards is celebrated as a great feat in some families. After all the fights and strides to gain admission, and funding the very expensive process, some wicked individuals have sworn to even make that process more tedious by adding to the long list of bills to pay in the guise of providing study materials otherwise known as “hand outs” to students at exorbitant rates.

The students of the Kogi state polytechnic, Lokoja will put up with all the below par treatment from the host community, the brutality of hooligans, the deplorable state of infrastructures etc but won’t be subjected to a 21st century kind of slavery by selfish, greedy and heartless lecturers who instead of effectively managing the minimal resources for the gain of all will engage in the shameless act of demanding extra fare from students and parents trying to earn a decent future for themselves. Investigations reveal that lecturers charge up to 2000naira for some few paged note in a country where the average man live on below $1 per day. It’s quite unfortunate that the same lecturers who would threaten fire and brim stone if their pay delays for a day engage in this kind of gruesome act, the same set of people who will criticize every move of government and label political office holders corrupt are here making life unbearable for young Nigerians who we call the leaders of tomorrow.

Against this backdrop, I’m saying it’s time to rise, it’s time to stand up for what’s right, it’s time to tell these modern day robbers to their face to stop this insanity before it gets out of hand. It’s time for the authorities to keep this kind of attitude in check, encourage equity and fairness and punish offenders to keep others out. Nobody will accept double taxation from government, students shouldn’t suffer same. Add a voice to this campaign; I’m sure there are other institutions that are experiencing this too. Japheth J. Omojuwa said “the quest for change is not a switch, it’s a marathon” let the race begin!

http://giz-pen..com/2013/10/kogi-poly-where-lecturers-still-charge.html

Loverboi, that is lie from the pit of hell. Which Kogi State Poly are you talking about? The one in Lokoja or on Nairaland? Please do verify before posting. Thanks
Re: Lecturers At Kogi Polytechnic Charge For 'handouts' by xtophy(m): 2:58pm On Oct 10, 2013
toptop: And how much is his so-called salary? These students complaining will not buy text books, yet they detest handout. Ask them how many text books they have and read. These handouts will make life easy for our lazy students.

pls, who are u? i am hating u like mad nd i will continue hating d hatred i have 4 u....u beta shut up or else i go ASSOCIATED ur DANAbilty
Re: Lecturers At Kogi Polytechnic Charge For 'handouts' by ibitomisi: 3:09pm On Oct 10, 2013
food foe all people........ handouts should be changed to text books maybe students will see reason why they have to buy..
Re: Lecturers At Kogi Polytechnic Charge For 'handouts' by Tinkybabe(f): 3:11pm On Oct 10, 2013
It is really shameful!
Aren't there rules against such ?and punishment for violators?
Re: Lecturers At Kogi Polytechnic Charge For 'handouts' by DisGuy: 3:12pm On Oct 10, 2013
toptop: And how much is his so-called salary? These students complaining will not buy text books, yet they detest handout. Ask them how many text books they have and read. These handouts will make life easy for our lazy students.

Why is he selling it then if he wants to make life easier? why cant the lecturer make sure his Oga at the top has a fully stocked up library at the Institution instead of chasing money- if the lecturer wants money to feed his family he can apply for well paying jobs elsewhere
Re: Lecturers At Kogi Polytechnic Charge For 'handouts' by speeder(m): 3:47pm On Oct 10, 2013
Does that surprise you? In the polytechnic I just finished from, Nuhu Bamalli poly, it is compulsory to buy hand out. They'l use the excuse that if we don't force you, you will never study" is it your business?
Re: Lecturers At Kogi Polytechnic Charge For 'handouts' by GSKing: 5:02pm On Oct 10, 2013
Whats this topic doing in front page? Is this suppose to be news or did it just start in kogi state? Just because it doesnt happen in ur faculty doesnt mean its nt happening in other faculties or schools! Get over it.
Re: Lecturers At Kogi Polytechnic Charge For 'handouts' by toptop: 5:04pm On Oct 10, 2013
xtophy:
pls, who are u? i am hating u like mad nd i will continue hating d hatred i have 4 u....u beta shut up or else i go ASSOCIATED ur DANAbilty
Don't wound yourself hating me. This is just a forum. Express your opinion and don't take anything personal. While i am not holding brief for the hand-out venture lecturers, i painfully see the handout as a necessary evil in the system of that school. Handout is the only thing that can work in such backward intellectual terrain. Meanwhile, face your book as a student and stop hating. Before you start hating your books also.

2 Likes

Re: Lecturers At Kogi Polytechnic Charge For 'handouts' by loverboi(m): 5:14pm On Oct 10, 2013
Seth89:

Loverboi, that is lie from the pit of hell. Which Kogi State Poly are you talking about? The one in Lokoja or on Nairaland? Please do verify before posting. Thanks
Seth89:

Who b dis slowpoke, are u in kogi poly at all? Which level and dept r u?
Am sure u'r part of those who pay sch fees and sit down at home, if not u'l knw hw tins r?
Re: Lecturers At Kogi Polytechnic Charge For 'handouts' by Dreal1247: 5:39pm On Oct 10, 2013
I THINK ITS GOOD TO OPEN A FORUM WHERE ALL THE MISDEEDS OF THE LECTURERS AND SCHOOLS SHOULD BE REPORTED. RECENTLY, SOME POLICE OFFICERS WERE RELIEVED OF THEIR DUTIES BECAUSE THEY WERE CAPTURED WITH CAMERA COLLECTING ILLEGAL MONEY(BRIBE) ON THE HIGHWAY. I KNOW THAT WHEN ABOUT TEN OF THE LECTURERS ARE DEALT WITH, OTHERS WILL CAUTION THEMSELVES. IF THEY ARE REALLY HELPING THE STUDENTS, LET THE HANDOUTS BE GIVEN TO THEM EITHER FREE OF CHARGE OR MASTER COPY BE GIVEN TO THEM IN WHICH CASE, THEY HAVE TO PHOTOCOPY BY THEMSELVES:-):-) IF U ARE IN SUPPORT, LIKE THIS.

2 Likes

Re: Lecturers At Kogi Polytechnic Charge For 'handouts' by Nobody: 6:14pm On Oct 10, 2013
Hmmm.... This one is small. I know a lecturer that can raise N50,000 from his students in 2 days if he wants too.
Re: Lecturers At Kogi Polytechnic Charge For 'handouts' by Olumeme: 7:09pm On Oct 10, 2013
Its not a crime if lecturers give note to the students but its bad if he forces them to buy!
My sisters in d sch have been complaining abt it, sometimes she collect up to 12,000 from home for this!
If police officers can b sacked for taking bribe den those in this act should also b sactioned, coz its corruption!
and all this same lecturers will b lamenting if their renumerations are not paid.
Imagine a class of 400 students pay 2k for a particular handout, dats a whopping 800k...dats fraud!
In my own sch FUTMINNA, its forbidden for any lecturer to sell any form of material in d class, he cam giv it to d course rep to make photocopy for his students or direct d students to the stand, I haven't spent more than 200 on handouts coz a page photocopy goes for N2.50
Where r d human right activists on dis forum!

(1) (2) (Reply)

Delta State University, Agbor Campus Admission / Federal College Of Orthopaedic Technology Igbobi Lagos / Nlng Undergraduate Scholarship 2013/2014: How To Apply

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.