Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,311 members, 7,954,248 topics. Date: Friday, 20 September 2024 at 03:22 PM

Passenger Lands Plane After Pilot Collapses - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Passenger Lands Plane After Pilot Collapses (1286 Views)

Malaysian Passenger Plane Shot Down In Donetsk By Ground To Air Missile / Passenger Lands Plane At Humberside Airport After Pilot Collapses / Passenger Lands Plane After Pilot Dies (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Passenger Lands Plane After Pilot Collapses by JMOI: 7:34pm On Oct 09, 2013
The pilot of a light plane who fell ill - forcing his passenger to land it despite having no flying experience - has died.

The brave passenger managed to safely land the plane last night at Humberside Airport in North Lincolnshire with the help of two instructors.

The plane had taken off from a small airfield in Doncaster in the north of England early on Tuesday morning, carrying just the pilot and the passenger. The pilot made a distress call at 6.20pm and shortly afterwards became so ill that the responsibility of landing the plane fell to the passenger, who had never flown a plane before, according to one of the two flight instructors on the ground at Humberside airport who guided him in.

Shaken up, the passenger seized the controls and, after several passes over the airport, landed an hour later while air traffic control talked him down by radio from the tower.

Roy Murray, one of two flight instructors who guided him through the landing, said the man had no flying experience and did a “remarkable job”.

Mr Murray, who works at a flying school at the airport, said: “He made quite a good landing actually.

The pair took off from Sandtoft Airfield, East Yorkshire, when the alarm was raised and airport staff stepped into action.

Mr Murray said he tried to keep the man calm.

He said: “The last thing you want to do is panic... then all sorts can happen.”

He said there were cheers in the airport control room as the plane landed safely on its fourth attempt.

http://observerreports.com
Re: Passenger Lands Plane After Pilot Collapses by weazley(m): 7:41pm On Oct 09, 2013
dis would av been fp matwrial, but no source, so am not placing any comment grin
Re: Passenger Lands Plane After Pilot Collapses by ammyluv2002(f): 7:45pm On Oct 09, 2013
O ga o! lipsrsealed
Re: Passenger Lands Plane After Pilot Collapses by Caracta(f): 8:03pm On Oct 09, 2013
What about the co-pilot?

The guy later died? Eeeyah! sad
Re: Passenger Lands Plane After Pilot Collapses by JMOI: 8:11pm On Oct 09, 2013
Caracta: What about the co-pilot?

The guy later died? Eeeyah! sad
It's a small privet jet so there was no co-pilot
Re: Passenger Lands Plane After Pilot Collapses by Sec5(m): 8:13pm On Oct 09, 2013
It's an act of God
Re: Passenger Lands Plane After Pilot Collapses by Trendy247: 8:13pm On Oct 09, 2013
R
Re: Passenger Lands Plane After Pilot Collapses by Nobody: 8:18pm On Oct 09, 2013
Reminds me of the movie Turbulence 2 only this time there is no freak on the plane..
Re: Passenger Lands Plane After Pilot Collapses by OmichaelO: 8:37pm On Oct 09, 2013
Reminds me of a movie,that the passenger used his PSP gaming experience to fly and land the plane.because the had snake attack

Thumbs up to be man.
Re: Passenger Lands Plane After Pilot Collapses by Marotzke(m): 8:43pm On Oct 09, 2013
JMOI: It's a small privet jet so there was no co-pilot
comprehension problems, there was never a time the plane was called a jet. please not all planes are jets.
Re: Passenger Lands Plane After Pilot Collapses by gidjah(m): 9:57pm On Oct 09, 2013
wao! that's. great an effort,love your courage man,quick response from d watch tower helped matters alot too.
Re: Passenger Lands Plane After Pilot Collapses by ijeoma100: 10:02pm On Oct 09, 2013
Sec5: It's an act of God

No it's not. It's been shown on Mythbusters that it's possible.
Re: Passenger Lands Plane After Pilot Collapses by skyscraperTM(m): 10:02pm On Oct 09, 2013
reminds me of a movie by denzel washington but with sliqht differences|
Re: Passenger Lands Plane After Pilot Collapses by HurlarCEO(m): 10:21pm On Oct 09, 2013
What about the co-pilot?

The co-pilot was the passenger who took overgrin
Re: Passenger Lands Plane After Pilot Collapses by 3ace(m): 10:24pm On Oct 09, 2013
All of una dey watch film gan.
Re: Passenger Lands Plane After Pilot Collapses by israel007: 10:32pm On Oct 09, 2013
If na me, I go don comot all liquid and solid from my body through all the openings.

Guy get liver.

Pilot, RIP o.
Re: Passenger Lands Plane After Pilot Collapses by 3ace(m): 10:32pm On Oct 09, 2013
The plane had taken off from a small
airfield in Doncaster in the north of England
early on Tuesday morning, carrying just the
pilot and the passenger. The pilot made a
distress call at 6.20pm and shortly
afterwards became so ill that the
responsibility of landing the plane fell to
the passenger, who had never flown a plane
before
I don't know how far is Doncaster to humberside but what could they be doing in the air from early morning till 6:30pm when the distress call was made or am I missing something?
Re: Passenger Lands Plane After Pilot Collapses by Nobody: 10:34pm On Oct 09, 2013
gidjah: wao! that's. great an effort,love your courage man,quick response from d watch tower helped matters alot too.
if na naija control tower, d passenger for dey rest in d bossom of d lord by now.
Re: Passenger Lands Plane After Pilot Collapses by IGBOSON1: 10:38pm On Oct 09, 2013
Ogar.monday:
Reminds me of the movie Turbulence 2 only this time there is no freak on the plane..

^^^Reminds me more of the comedy airplane starring Leslie Nielsen......the poor guy that volunteered to land the plane was so petrified that he was literally sweating buckets!

1 Like

Re: Passenger Lands Plane After Pilot Collapses by dominique(f): 10:48pm On Oct 09, 2013
Remarkable feat by the senior citizen. RIP pilot
Re: Passenger Lands Plane After Pilot Collapses by JMOI: 8:39am On Oct 10, 2013
Marotzke: comprehension problems, there was never a time the plane was called a jet. please not all planes are jets.
Ok

(1) (Reply)

New Tanzania President Did This In Just 3 Months / Prince philip husband of quuen elizabeth Is Dead Aged 95 / Nigeria Is A Shithole Country, Donald Trump Is Right.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.