Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,189 members, 7,818,615 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 07:53 PM

Stop Cleaning Inside Your Ears: It’s Bad For You - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Stop Cleaning Inside Your Ears: It’s Bad For You (1348 Views)

This Will Make You Stop Cleaning Inside Your Ears. / This Will Make You Never, Ever Want To Clean Your Ears Again / Is Milk Bad For Your Health? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Stop Cleaning Inside Your Ears: It’s Bad For You by femi4: 9:14pm On Oct 09, 2013
Everyone always says you should wash
behind your ears. But what about inside
your ears? You should pretty much never clean those, and trying sends more people to the hospital every year with cotton swab–induced injuries than show up with wounds from razor blades,
according to Real Clear Science. Here’s
the basic problem:

For the most part, swabs merely condense and impact the earwax further into the ear canal, where it can cause pain, pressure, and temporarily poor hearing.

“There’s no need to clean your ears with a cotton bud,” writes Dr. Rob Hicks. “The ear has its own internal cleaning mechanism. Fats and oils in the ear canal trap any particles and transport them out of the ear as wax. This falls out of the ear without us
noticing.” Besides, ear wax isn’t dirt. It’s supposed to be there, says the American Hearing Research Association:

First, one should realize that wax isn’t
all that bad. It keeps your ear dry and
helps prevent infection. Thus, you don’t
want to eliminate wax; you want to
keep it from blocking your ears.

The Telegraph says:
“In most circumstances, wax is actually
beneficial to the ear,” says Simon Baer,
a consultant ear, nose and throat
surgeon at the Conquest Hospital in
Hastings. “It causes foreign bodies to
adhere to it, preventing them from
going further into the ear, and it has
anti-bacterial properties. Removing it is
like taking the wax off the surface of
polished wooden furniture. It makes the
delicate underlying skin of the ear more
susceptible to infection.”

Of course, some people have way too
much earwax, but that’s rare. Certainly
not common enough to support the huge
earwax removal industry. The Wall Street
Journal writes:

Some 12 million Americans visit medical
professionals annually for earwax
removal. Millions more have it done at
spas and ear-candling parlors, which
theoretically suck out earwax with a
lighted candle. North Americans also
spent $63 million last year on home ear-
cleaning products, from drops to
irrigation kits, according to market
research firm Euromonitor International.

Removing wax yourself can be
dangerous, though. Thousands of people
go to the hospital every year because of
those pesky cotton swabs. So not only is
it doing nothing for you, it’s actually
perhaps hurting.

blogs.smithsonianmag.com/smartnews/2013/01/stop-cleaning-inside-your-ears-its-bad-for-you/

Re: Stop Cleaning Inside Your Ears: It’s Bad For You by Preceedo(m): 9:47pm On Oct 09, 2013
Joke Of the day. Ahahahahaahah
Re: Stop Cleaning Inside Your Ears: It’s Bad For You by Nobody: 10:18pm On Oct 09, 2013
i dey clean my ear as i dey read this topic..

1 Like

Re: Stop Cleaning Inside Your Ears: It’s Bad For You by passionate88: 6:26am On Oct 10, 2013
Na wetin we no go hear from these people?. Me dey clean my ear wit biro cover sef

1 Like

Re: Stop Cleaning Inside Your Ears: It’s Bad For You by ryom(m): 10:52pm On Oct 12, 2013
The ears are self cleansing. You don't need to clean them. The old saying is "nothing smaller than your elbow should go in your ears".
Re: Stop Cleaning Inside Your Ears: It’s Bad For You by dominique(f): 12:42pm On Oct 13, 2013
I agree with op. The wax traps dirts and prevents injury and infection to the inner ear but I'm so darn addicted to cleaning the ears embarassed
Re: Stop Cleaning Inside Your Ears: It’s Bad For You by Emmyk(m): 5:43pm On Oct 13, 2013
Yeah. The Wax is actually good. But too much cleaning of the ear is bad. Atleast once or twice a week.

How would you feel, seeing the oily thingy flowing down someone's ear near you? smiley
Re: Stop Cleaning Inside Your Ears: It’s Bad For You by Chrisbless13: 10:24pm On May 31, 2020
Partner with a Nigerian Forum Website and get the privilege of being paid each time you share a post on your facebook or watch videos, view a post on the website, create a post and login to the website. You can start today with a one time registration fee of N500 and stand d chance to earn over 20k everyday Ask me how”.

(1) (Reply)

Are People Who Dont Shave Their Pubic Region Often Seen As Dirty? / Giant 110kg Tumour Removed From Man Who Could Not Move For 20 Years-photos / NOSE Blockage Pls HELP

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.