Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,882 members, 7,817,594 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 03:13 PM

Things You Should Never Say To Your Boss - Business (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Things You Should Never Say To Your Boss (25825 Views)

Seven Phrases You Should Never Say To Your Employees As A Leader / 17 Things Successful People Never Say / What To Say To Your Prospects In Multilevel Marketing To Convince Them (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Things You Should Never Say To Your Boss by nickz(m): 3:03pm On Oct 10, 2013
never tell you boss,"How much do you pay for bonuses? Or "how many female staffs are in this office tongue" angry angry
Re: Things You Should Never Say To Your Boss by ibitomisi: 3:05pm On Oct 10, 2013
how will i tell my boss am here for the money? when he already knew am not here for paper.
Re: Things You Should Never Say To Your Boss by Nobody: 3:18pm On Oct 10, 2013
jay bee:
A smart interviewer will then do a follow-up question along the line of:

How would you stay motivated if we fail to match your expectation monetarily since money is the key determinant factor in your chosen career

Jaybee?!! shocked shocked! who carry you commot from sexuality?? undecided undecidedSo you know book like this? grin grin
Re: Things You Should Never Say To Your Boss by jaybee3(m): 3:20pm On Oct 10, 2013
tchidi:

Jaybee?!! shocked shocked! who carry you commot from sexuality?? undecided undecidedSo you know book like this? grin grin
chei see my life biko
Re: Things You Should Never Say To Your Boss by Nobody: 3:24pm On Oct 10, 2013
when you work for indians, these are exactly the things u should learn how to say everyday

1 Like

Re: Things You Should Never Say To Your Boss by lanrei(m): 3:26pm On Oct 10, 2013
I need a clean seconhand mini laptop for 20k anybody interested should call me on 07039641623
Re: Things You Should Never Say To Your Boss by simdam500(m): 3:31pm On Oct 10, 2013
1. 'I Am Just Here for the Money'

In China, it is very common for a lot of employees to work just for the money. This means they will leave if you fail to give them a raise or if their peers start to make a lot more money than they do. Our interview process has filtered this as much as possible but if we hear through the "grapevine" that the person is just doing the job for the money we will let them go very quickly.

- Derek Capo, CEO and Founder, Next Step China

say these to ma boss and you are off in the next 5sec
Re: Things You Should Never Say To Your Boss by Tinkybabe(f): 3:32pm On Oct 10, 2013
jay bee:

How would you stay motivated if we fail to match your expectation monetarily since money is the key determinant factor in your chosen career

Yes,I'm here for the money but experience also birth wealth(wealth of knowledge).The experience I get from working with you would propel me to my money-making land.With that in mind,I would stay motivated cheesy cheesy cheesy

(I was messing around with the initial post-it's just amazing how the most sincere ans-"I'm here for the money" is loathed by interviewers/recruiters)
Re: Things You Should Never Say To Your Boss by deols(f): 4:00pm On Oct 10, 2013
The best job is the one that you enjoy. If it pays well, double blessing.
Re: Things You Should Never Say To Your Boss by jaybee3(m): 4:01pm On Oct 10, 2013
Tinkybabe: Interviewer: So why do you want to work with us?

Me: In all sincerity,it's because of the money But I understand that nothing good comes easy hence I decided to gain knowledge and skills that would help me achieve this. Your company happens to provide the right platform for me to exhibit these skills and put my knowledge into use thereby make money .

I was only being sincere,would it be fair if I'm turned away?

Here is a much better spin if you are to incorporate money as one of the determinant factor in wanting to work for them.

Start with telling them the usual jargons on how you fit into their strategic goals, how you believe your strength/skills will help deliver these set goals
Then slide in the comment along the line of:

I also would like to work for a company that usually rewards hard work with a well remunerated package which usually comes in the form of;
Competitive salary package,
Word class investment in personnel development

2 Likes

Re: Things You Should Never Say To Your Boss by senatorn3c(m): 4:02pm On Oct 10, 2013
den wa abt d positive mr op
Re: Things You Should Never Say To Your Boss by Nobody: 4:14pm On Oct 10, 2013
and I said to my boss, " this is not your personal business" . and he was pushed 7months after I left.

it didn't suck....and I said to my boss, " this is not your personal business" . and he was pushed 7months after I left.

it didn't suck....
and I said to my boss, " this is not your personal business" . and he was pushed 7months after I left.

it didn't suck....
Re: Things You Should Never Say To Your Boss by saintgwizard(m): 4:19pm On Oct 10, 2013
djeezy: Lemme just debunk number 15(that's not my job). I beg to differ with that. If it's not your job it's not your job. In line of professionalism, when you're paid to do a particular job, it should not go beyond what you were paid to do. Because you're paid to serve as a secretary or Lawyer to a coy does not give the boss the impetus to ask you to clean his office or wash some things. WTF, like seriously, what are the cleaners paid to do?? In that wise, you can tell him that's not your job. If he fires you, there's a remedy in the court of law.

A subordinate once told me that, I did the job myself and when it came for outplacement, he was the first I pencilled down his name. He is the only person I ever sacked without feeling bad about it. My point is, there are better ways to present a matter.

1 Like

Re: Things You Should Never Say To Your Boss by victorazy(m): 4:20pm On Oct 10, 2013
djeezy: Lemme just debunk number 15(that's not my job). I beg to differ with that. If it's not your job it's not your job. In line of professionalism, when you're paid to do a particular job, it should not go beyond what you were paid to do. Because you're paid to serve as a secretary or Lawyer to a coy does not give the boss the impetus to ask you to clean his office or wash some things. WTF, like seriously, what are the cleaners paid to do?? In that wise, you can tell him that's not your job. If he fires you, there's a remedy in the court of law.

My brother we got ur point.
I think their should be a relationship btw the boss and the employee. If my boss ask me to clean his office maybe the cleaners are not around or something, I will gladly do it becuz d way u treat ur seniors is d same u will be treated by ur juniors, he/she is ur superior, u need them more dan they need u "we worship God bcuz we need his help" He can command stones to worship Him.
Re: Things You Should Never Say To Your Boss by Anniettieufia(m): 4:25pm On Oct 10, 2013
21:
SIR, I CANNOT DO IT ALONE !

22:
SIR, I KEPT THE MONEY HERE,
I DON'T KNOW WHO TOOK IT .

C.E.O: kingmate resources.
(Wholesales & distributions )
Mike ufia. (Nig).
Re: Things You Should Never Say To Your Boss by bizngr(f): 4:40pm On Oct 10, 2013
Wow! This is incredible. So glad a Nigerian retail won the award. Who says something good can't still come out of this country should think again! Congratulations guys.
Read the full story here. http://www.bizngr.com/entrepreneurs/jumia-won-world-retail-award-becomes-first-african-company-win-award/

The rest of us, let's keep trying. Our hustle will pay off soon.
Re: Things You Should Never Say To Your Boss by Mooye41(m): 5:33pm On Oct 10, 2013
MY OGA AT THE TOP!

Don't be over protective of your boss. The consequence of this might leads to demotion, transfer or even dismissal. We are a living witness to this kind of scenarious in this country.
Re: Things You Should Never Say To Your Boss by IBnatty(m): 5:47pm On Oct 10, 2013
jay bee:

I'll be lyk.. Well, I wouldnt spend time, energy and resources to gain knowledge and skills needed for this job if I hadnt passion for it. What that means is that though I might be doing it for the money but the passion to advance in this area is what will trully keep me motivated.
Re: Things You Should Never Say To Your Boss by childluck(m): 5:58pm On Oct 10, 2013
even my 3yrs old child can not tell me most of these things, as a joke or excuse
how can you now imagine a grown-up, adult, literate maybe, would say these to the boss
Re: Things You Should Never Say To Your Boss by vislabraye(m): 6:26pm On Oct 10, 2013
I broke one of these rules.
I used to work as a teacher years ago for a smaLl school. I taught maths, physics, fmaths and they added computer science. So the proprietor wanted to add Economics to it, then I said " I can't cope". Abi did I say the rite thing ?
Re: Things You Should Never Say To Your Boss by jaybee3(m): 6:56pm On Oct 10, 2013
vislabraye: I broke one of these rules.
I used to work as a teacher years ago for a smaLl school. I taught maths, physics, fmaths and they added computer science. So the proprietor wanted to add Economics to it, then I said " I can't cope". Abi did I say the rite thing ?
You said the wrong thing.

I would have said, adding an extra subject to my already loaded workload will mean i won't be able to perform at my utmost best whilst delivering the other subjects.

The key thing is you shouldn't be in the business of saying no to your boss instead you should make them understand the impact the decision they are about to make will have on deliverables

1 Like

Re: Things You Should Never Say To Your Boss by captaincaleb(m): 7:26pm On Oct 10, 2013
Have told my boss most of this things and nothing happen and will never happen.......
Nice write up tho!
#peace
Re: Things You Should Never Say To Your Boss by emorse(m): 7:49pm On Oct 10, 2013
captain caleb: Have told my boss most of this things and nothing happen and will never happen.......
Nice write up tho!
#peace
Thats why I said different strokes for different folks. I know someone who was asked during a job test with a food processing company to write an essay on why he wanted the job. His answer was, in summary, "because you produce my favorite food!". Guess what? He got the job. Infact, he had an upper hand during negotiations for pay.
Re: Things You Should Never Say To Your Boss by amnestylaw1(m): 1:29am On Oct 11, 2013
[size=14pt]18) You are Fired, boss![/size][/font]
Re: Things You Should Never Say To Your Boss by ohisola(f): 8:37am On Oct 11, 2013
Lol

1 Like

Re: Things You Should Never Say To Your Boss by bizngr(f): 8:53am On Oct 11, 2013
Guys, check out this link post : 8 Things You Should Not Do Everyday
http://www.bizngr.com/management-tips/8-things-you-should-not-do-every-day/
You would be amazed by how we spend so much time on things that aren't productive.
JMOI: 1. 'I Am Just Here for the Money'

In China, it is very common for a lot of employees to work just for the money. This means they will leave if you fail to give them a raise or if their peers start to make a lot more money than they do. Our interview process has filtered this as much as possible but if we hear through the "grapevine" that the person is just doing the job for the money we will let them go very quickly.

- Derek Capo, CEO and Founder, Next Step China

2. 'You Never Told Me to Do It'

When something important doesn't get done, the worst thing you can say is, "You never asked me to do it." There are few better ways to neglect yourself of that promotion, a raise, or even job security.

- Ken Cauley, President, Advanced Media

3. 'There's Something Wrong'

It's easy to complain about what's wrong. It's hard to come up with solutions to fix the problem. My former manager at LivingSocial said, "Be a problem solver, not spotter," and I've taken this advice to heart in my everyday life. If you see a problem, don't address the situation with what's wrong; address the situation with an answer. If you don't have a real solution, wait until you do.

- Sarah Ware, Markerly

4. 'I Want to Do What's Easiest'

We have a client who had an employee literally explain that he would rather do a particularly menial task than the task that the employer had assigned because it would be easier for him. We were shocked. This is the most explicit way to alert your boss that you don't care about improving your skill set without directly telling him. Never do this if you care about your career!

- Patrick Conley, Founder / CEO, Automation Heroes

5. 'That Takes Up Too Much Time'

Through the years, we have had many operational restructurings that have required large amounts of data to be filtered and edited or re-formatted in some manner. There's nothing worse than an employee who complains about the amount of time required to move the company to the next level.

- Laura Land, CFO / COO, Accessory Export, LLC

6. 'I Could Be Doing Other Things'

Bratty much? Don't complain about your job. If you hate it, quit. If there's something wrong with it, find a way to fix it. If someone or something is really ticking you off, don't project your anger onto others, especially not your boss. If it's a good job, be grateful for it. If you want more out of your job, make it happen. Be diplomatic about it and make it your dream job, or leave.

- Danny Wong, Co-founder, Blank Label

7. 'I Promise to Do That'

Don't ever tell your boss you're able to do something if you know you may not be able to deliver. It is better to be honest, ask for advice and have a proactive attitude. If you fail to deliver, then it has negative repercussions for the business, which is taken much more seriously.

- Christopher Pruijsen, Co-Founder / Partnerships, Afrostart.io

8. 'It's Too Difficult'

I get fired up when someone is paralyzed and doesn’t complete a task because it’s difficult or because few others have done it. We’re a disruptive company that has to innovate, that has to do things few have done before us. One of my advisors here has a quote: “If it were easy, everyone would be doing it.” We won’t win if we don’t think big.

- Marcos Cordero, Chief Gradsaver, GradSave, LLC

9. 'I Agree to Disagree'

Whether it is said explicitly or passive-aggressively, this mindset has no place in startup culture. Those who have this mindset should either found their own startups or go work in big corporate America where this goes unnoticed. At a startup, you're either all the way in or all the way out.

- Danny Boice, Co-Founder & CTO, Speek

10. 'I Don't Have an Opinion'

The people who just sit and nod their heads are the ones who are expendable. If you want to make an impression as a valuable member of the team, offer your insights. No one ever agrees with his boss 100 percent all the time, so make your opinion known if you have something worth saying.

- Nick Friedman, President, College Hunks Hauling Junk and College Hunks Moving

11. 'I Can't'

I don’t want to hear excuses ever! We focus on hiring can-do, positive, creative employees with passion, drive and determination.

- Kuba Jewgieniew, Founder and CEO, Realty ONE Group

12. 'I'm Not Optimistic'

The most important thing for any team member is to stay optimistic. Being a pessimist and doubting the future of the company is a real downer. There is nothing wrong with being realistic; however, people who are melancholy suck the life out of an early-stage company and cannot last long.

- Raoul Davis, CEO, Ascendant Group

13. 'I'm Clocked Out'

There is nothing more discouraging to an entrepreneur than when an employee says he is not willing to go the extra mile because he isn't "clocked in." We remind our employees that they work for a young company and they are in control of their own careers. Acting within the status quo never gets you to the top!

- Darren Solomon, President, Kid Ventures

14. 'That's Not My Responsibility'

It’s critical that everyone feels invested in the success of all areas of the business. Everyone should be willing to pitch in, even if what’s required isn’t part of their normal day-to-day activities.

- Robert J. Moore, Co-Founder and CEO, RJMetrics

15. 'That's Not My Job'

Your responsibilities aren't limited to what was listed in your original job description -- especially at a startup. Unless your boss is asking you to do something illegal or unethical, you should do it.

- Mary Ellen Slayter, Founder/Managing Director, Reputation Capital

16. 'I Don't Like Working for Other People'

An employee actually told me that he didn't like working for other people. That person doesn't work for me anymore!

- Andrew Angus, CEO, Switch Video

17. 'I'm Not Working Hard'

I never want to know that someone who works for me isn’t working hard. People can disagree with me, and I’m fine to hear criticism. I’ll never lose respect for anyone because he disagrees with me or because they failed. I don’t want to know if someone is giving less than their best effort or that someone lied. I have high expectations of people when it comes to their work ethic.

- Dries Buytaert, Co-founder and CTO, Drupal

Source Here
Re: Things You Should Never Say To Your Boss by Artlove(m): 11:17am On Oct 11, 2013
Oga ur wife wanted 2 see me!!!
Re: Things You Should Never Say To Your Boss by badmeat(m): 3:06pm On Oct 11, 2013
I'm the boss,I call the shots,grin

(1) (2) (Reply)

Lagos To Convert Computer Village, Ikeja To Residential Area / Naira Hits ₦1,000/$ Ahead Of CBN Sale To BDCs / Ecobank May Shut Down 70 Branches Nationwide

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.