Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,119 members, 7,814,925 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 11:44 PM

Strawberries In Nigeria - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Strawberries In Nigeria (16040 Views)

Where In Lagos Can I Get Strawberries? / Strawberries Vs Blueberry / Where To Get Cantaloupes, Honeydew And Strawberries In Nigeria. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Strawberries In Nigeria by adewaleafolabi(m): 10:16pm On Jul 01, 2008
Simple question Where can i get strawberries in Nigeria and how much do they cost.
Thanks
Re: Strawberries In Nigeria by Gamine(f): 11:53am On Jul 04, 2008
Go to the Palms, shoprite

you will find.

Go to Park n Shop

as for cost, have money sha.
Re: Strawberries In Nigeria by amebo22: 8:13pm On Apr 28, 2009
When I was Jos i usually go to Vom. they a research institute there and i get fresh strawberries dont know if they still do and the cost as of now.
Re: Strawberries In Nigeria by AmakaOne(f): 9:32am On Apr 29, 2009
You can actually grow your own strawberries in a pot or container.

If you're unsure about what a strawberry pot is, they are those urn-shaped pots with a series of small pockets running along the sides. They are generally terracotta, though I've seen them made of glazed pottery as well. You can also find them in a variety of sizes, from very small four-pocket varieties to pots that stand nearly two feet tall and have a plethora of pockets.

Choose a size that matches up with the number of berries you'd like to grow. Keep in mind that a smaller pot will need to be watered much more often than a large one.

Choosing Plants

There are three types of strawberry plants: June-bearing, ever-bearing, and day-neutral. For a strawberry pot, the best types are the ever-bearing and day-neutral varieties. They will provide you with a regular harvest from late spring until early fall. You'll get higher overall yields from day-neutral varieties.
Planting

Planting a strawberry pot is a fairly simple process.

1. Get the pot adequately moist. Terracotta pots will wick all of the water out of your soil unless you moisten them before planting. To do this, simply lay your pot in a tub of water for about an hour. It will soak up water so it won't suck it out of the soil later.
2. Place a piece of window screening or broken flower pot over the drainage hole so the soil doesn't leak out.
3. Fill with soil until you reach the lowest level of pockets. Insert your strawberry plants in these pockets, filling around them with soil. Make sure the crown of the plants is just above soil level.
4. Insert either a one-inch PVC pipe drilled with holes along its length or a cardboard tube from wrapping paper near the center of the pot, but not directly over the drainage hole. You will be using this as a watering pipe to ensure that all of the pockets get adequate moisture.
5. Continue filling to each level of pockets and inserting plants.
6. Stop adding soil when you get to two inches below the rim of the pot. You can add three to four plants in the top of the container, and fill in with soil around them.
7. Water everything in well. Pour water down the tube, on the soil at the top of the pot, and into each pocket (do this slowly so the water doesn't make the soil slosh out.)
8. Place your pot in a spot that gets at least six hours of sun per day.

The type of soil you choose for your strawberry pot should be one that is high in organic matter. Any good, organic potting soil will work. Adding compost, peat, or leaf mold to the mix will make your plants even happier. Also, it's a good idea to mix some blood meal and bone meal into your mix before you plant. These will feed the plant and help them get off to a good start.
Ongoing Care

Basically, you'll be keeping your plants watered and fed for the remainder of the growing season. Test for moisture by sticking your finger into the potting soil up to your first knuckle. If it is dry, you'll need to water. Strawberries are shallow-rooted plants, and start to slow in fruit production if they are allowed to dry out. Fertilize your plants every other week with a diluted seaweed fertilizer to keep your plants producing. Harvest berries as soon as they are ripe, and remove any rotted fruit or yellowing leaves as you see them.
Overwintering Potted Strawberries

Strawberries are perennials, and will produce happily for years. If you want to overwinter them in the pot, you'll need to place the entire pot in a sheltered location such as an unheated garage. If you have some ground available to overwinter in, you can dig the plants out of the pot, place them in plastic pots, and bury these pots into the ground with their rims at soil level. Your plants will overwinter beautifully and you can revive them by potting them up with plenty of rich, fresh soil in the spring.

Growing strawberries in a pot is simple and rewarding, and you can do it even if you don't have any yard to speak of.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Strawberries In Nigeria by spikedcylinder: 5:03pm On Apr 29, 2009
This Amaka girl sef, na food and tech you study for school?

1 Like

Re: Strawberries In Nigeria by amebo22: 5:07pm On Apr 29, 2009
spikedcylinder:

This Amaka girl sef, na food and tech you study for school?
You forgot to mention Agriculture, lol, gurl its in good faith
Re: Strawberries In Nigeria by MrCrackles(m): 5:08pm On Apr 29, 2009
Strawberries in Naija? shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked

Can someone tell me when Jesus came down?! shocked grin
Re: Strawberries In Nigeria by amebo22: 5:10pm On Apr 29, 2009
MrCrackles:

Strawberries in Naija? shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked

Can someone tell me when Jesus came down?! shocked grin

Yes sir and i have always had it fresh, not to the extent of planting it myself though but Jos has awesome weather conditions and you can grow stuff like strawberries , apples, etc with out geneticall engineering it and u actually feel the natural taste.[
Re: Strawberries In Nigeria by Pepeye(f): 5:12pm On Apr 29, 2009
AMAKAONE:

You can actually grow your own strawberries in a pot or container.

If you're unsure about what a strawberry pot is, they are those urn-shaped pots with a series of small pockets running along the sides. They are generally terracotta, though I've seen them made of glazed pottery as well. You can also find them in a variety of sizes, from very small four-pocket varieties to pots that stand nearly two feet tall and have a plethora of pockets.

Choose a size that matches up with the number of berries you'd like to grow. Keep in mind that a smaller pot will need to be watered much more often than a large one.

Choosing Plants

There are three types of strawberry plants: June-bearing, ever-bearing, and day-neutral. For a strawberry pot, the best types are the ever-bearing and day-neutral varieties. They will provide you with a regular harvest from late spring until early fall. You'll get higher overall yields from day-neutral varieties.
Planting

Planting a strawberry pot is a fairly simple process.

1. Get the pot adequately moist. Terracotta pots will wick all of the water out of your soil unless you moisten them before planting. To do this, simply lay your pot in a tub of water for about an hour. It will soak up water so it won't suck it out of the soil later.
2. Place a piece of window screening or broken flower pot over the drainage hole so the soil doesn't leak out.
3. Fill with soil until you reach the lowest level of pockets. Insert your strawberry plants in these pockets, filling around them with soil. Make sure the crown of the plants is just above soil level.
4. Insert either a one-inch PVC pipe drilled with holes along its length or a cardboard tube from wrapping paper near the center of the pot, but not directly over the drainage hole. You will be using this as a watering pipe to ensure that all of the pockets get adequate moisture.
5. Continue filling to each level of pockets and inserting plants.
6. Stop adding soil when you get to two inches below the rim of the pot. You can add three to four plants in the top of the container, and fill in with soil around them.
7. Water everything in well. Pour water down the tube, on the soil at the top of the pot, and into each pocket (do this slowly so the water doesn't make the soil slosh out.)
8. Place your pot in a spot that gets at least six hours of sun per day.

The type of soil you choose for your strawberry pot should be one that is high in organic matter. Any good, organic potting soil will work. Adding compost, peat, or leaf mold to the mix will make your plants even happier. Also, it's a good idea to mix some blood meal and bone meal into your mix before you plant. These will feed the plant and help them get off to a good start.
Ongoing Care

Basically, you'll be keeping your plants watered and fed for the remainder of the growing season. Test for moisture by sticking your finger into the potting soil up to your first knuckle. If it is dry, you'll need to water. Strawberries are shallow-rooted plants, and start to slow in fruit production if they are allowed to dry out. Fertilize your plants every other week with a diluted seaweed fertilizer to keep your plants producing. Harvest berries as soon as they are ripe, and remove any rotted fruit or yellowing leaves as you see them.
Overwintering Potted Strawberries

Strawberries are perennials, and will produce happily for years. If you want to overwinter them in the pot, you'll need to place the entire pot in a sheltered location such as an unheated garage. If you have some ground available to overwinter in, you can dig the plants out of the pot, place them in plastic pots, and bury these pots into the ground with their rims at soil level. Your plants will overwinter beautifully and you can revive them by potting them up with plenty of rich, fresh soil in the spring.

Growing strawberries in a pot is simple and rewarding, and you can do it even if you don't have any yard to speak of.

thx for the info

1 Like

Re: Strawberries In Nigeria by MrCrackles(m): 5:13pm On Apr 29, 2009
amebo22:

Yes sir and i have always had it fresh, not to the extent of planting it myself though but Jos has awesome weather conditions and you can grow stuff like strawberries , apples, etc with out geneticall engineering it and u actually feel the natural taste.[

Niceone, good to know it can actually happen in Naija! grin
Re: Strawberries In Nigeria by AmakaOne(f): 5:39pm On Apr 29, 2009
amebo22:

You forgot to mention Agriculture, lol, gurl its in good faith

food and tech grin

LOL una no well at all!! grin
Re: Strawberries In Nigeria by dominique(f): 4:53pm On Apr 30, 2009
IMO, i dont think the soil type and weather here can support the growth of strawberries undecided
Re: Strawberries In Nigeria by mamagee3(f): 7:37pm On Jul 20, 2009
They are strawberries in Lagos
Re: Strawberries In Nigeria by mamagee6(f): 12:20am On Aug 28, 2009
You can get them in Lagos, I don't know how much it costs.
Re: Strawberries In Nigeria by Fhemmmy: 4:03pm On Aug 28, 2009
,mama-gee:

You can get them in Lagos, I don't know how much it costs.

I will be careful eating such.
Re: Strawberries In Nigeria by mamagee6(f): 6:35pm On Aug 28, 2009
, In case of Diarrhoea. grin grin
Re: Strawberries In Nigeria by Fhemmmy: 9:47pm On Aug 28, 2009
,mama-gee:

, In case of Diarrhoea. grin grin
Yes oh.
Re: Strawberries In Nigeria by usmanktg2(m): 10:35pm On Sep 18, 2014
really wanna plant it
Re: Strawberries In Nigeria by wakes: 9:59pm On Aug 03, 2015
Re: Strawberries In Nigeria by Mariecakes(f): 7:47am On Aug 04, 2015
Strawberries are everwhere.. In ikotun here tho n it comes in pack, there's a big back for 1k, 1k5, small pack for N500 n above Depending on how big each strawberry is..check your local market first , b4 embarking on a long journey.... you should find wherever you see lots of fruit on display
Re: Strawberries In Nigeria by dominique(f): 8:33pm On Aug 06, 2015
Mariecakes:
Strawberries are everwhere.. In ikotun here tho n it comes in pack, there's a big back for 1k, 1k5, small pack for N500 n above Depending on how big each strawberry is..check your local market first , b4 embarking on a long journey.... you should find wherever you see lots of fruit on display

Hope you're not mistaking grapes for strawberries. I'm yet to see strawberries on roadside markets like grapes.
Re: Strawberries In Nigeria by Mariecakes(f): 10:11pm On Aug 06, 2015
dominique:

Hope you're not mistaking grapes for strawberries. I'm yet to see strawberries on roadside markets like grapes.
STRAWBERRIES not grape ders dis woman in front of alimosho local government offices, she sells all types of fruits (expensive tho) except it's out of stock n even @ nite outside the main market, yu will see these Mallams selling @ cheaper prices In ikotun I dnt know about other areas
Re: Strawberries In Nigeria by dominique(f): 4:14pm On Aug 07, 2015
Mariecakes:
STRAWBERRIES not grape ders dis woman in front of alimosho local government offices, she sells all types of fruits (expensive tho) except it's out of stock n even @ nite outside the main market, yu will see these Mallams selling @ cheaper prices In ikotun I dnt know about other areas

That's a cool neighbourhood you have there. All I see around me are grapes
Re: Strawberries In Nigeria by ezychris(m): 4:43pm On Aug 15, 2015
Mariecakes:
Where in Ikotun do u stay bro? I stay in Ijegun and Abaranje, mostly abaranje
Re: Strawberries In Nigeria by Mariecakes(f): 6:40pm On Aug 15, 2015
ezychris:

Where in Ikotun do u stay bro? I stay in Ijegun and Abaranje, mostly abaranje
Sis not bro, Arida
Re: Strawberries In Nigeria by ezychris(m): 7:33am On Aug 29, 2015
Mariecakes:
Sis not bro, Arida
Sorry dear, my apologies
Re: Strawberries In Nigeria by ceaz4r(m): 6:50am On Mar 23, 2016
Re: Strawberries In Nigeria by merit1988(f): 11:00pm On Mar 07, 2018
Pls I need strawberries urgently

1 Like

Re: Strawberries In Nigeria by laura8: 11:06pm On Mar 08, 2018
merit1988:
Pls I need strawberries urgently
Jos..plateau state... U can get in any quantity�
Re: Strawberries In Nigeria by imhere: 8:03am On May 20, 2019
Strawberry farming is very lucrative. It is one of the few fruits that requires less effort with huge returns. It starts fruiting 3 months after planting. The fruits can be harvested 2-3 times a week......
https://www.enibest.com.ng/all-posts/business/strawberry-farming/

(1) (Reply)

What Is Your Favourite Food? / Panla Fish - What Is The English Name / Goat Meat - Are You Among The Very Many That Hate It

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.