Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,606 members, 7,812,988 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 01:46 AM

Strike: How FG, ASUU Faceoff Can Be Resolved By Atiku - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Strike: How FG, ASUU Faceoff Can Be Resolved By Atiku (644 Views)

Nigerian Dad Slams Atiku's American University Over Child's Report Sheet (pics) / Another Nationwide ASUU Strike? / Atiku, Others Sign Petition To End ASUU Strike (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Strike: How FG, ASUU Faceoff Can Be Resolved By Atiku by ifeanyija(m): 9:12pm On Oct 10, 2013
A former vice-president, Alhaji Atiku Abubakar has
proffered solution to the lingering strike by Academic
Staff Union of Universities, ASUU, the Federal
Government and the varsity lecturers should sign a
faith agreement that would be endorsed by the
National Assembly and a Federal Court.

He also reminded the striking lecturers that the funding of education cannot be shouldered by the Federal Government alone, adding that ASUU is fighting for nothing “aside from being paid better salaries.”

Atiku, who owns a private university in his home state
of Adamawa, made the proposition via his twitter
account page yesterday.

“The first move should be to sign a good faith
agreement, supported by an act of parliament or
federal court, binding both parties to set negotiations
with targets toward meeting demands from both sides
of the disagreement, while immediately suspending
the strike for the sake of the students,” said Atiku.

“In the last couple of weeks, I have been working with
my office publicly and privately to find a way of
resolving the stand-off between ASUU and the Federal
Government including the launch of an online petition
requesting the immediate end of the strike.”

He added that “With my experience dealing with
strikes while in government, I have first hand insight
to some of the issues on debate, but ASUU and the FG
can disagree and find solutions without making
Nigerian students suffer in the process”.

While urging ASUU and FG to consider a common
ground in fighting for qualitative education, the
former vice-president noted that the path to
qualitative education in the country is a two-way
street hence the need for give and take.

On the state of government-owned universities which
he appeared to be dissatisfied with the little or no
groundbreaking researches going on there, Atiku
argued that “government officials will not (and should
not) descend from their Abuja offices to come design
growth plans of universities. If a university is working
on significant, groundbreaking research, it has the
moral right to approach the FG to request for special
funding.”

www.informationng.com/2013/10/strike-how-fg-ASUU-faceoff-can-be-resolved-by-atiku.html
Re: Strike: How FG, ASUU Faceoff Can Be Resolved By Atiku by kourhage: 9:23pm On Oct 10, 2013
Easier said than done. Why did he no commit himself to this when ASUU went on strike during Obj tenure as president. Mek him pack well abeg. Oga jona we don tire u beta answer we lecturers before we deny you 2mao. Scratch our back now ooo. Well those that are still thinking of voting based on sentiments should use dis as an example. God bless Nigeria
Re: Strike: How FG, ASUU Faceoff Can Be Resolved By Atiku by ogunteluwo(m): 9:40pm On Oct 10, 2013
My question to ASUU are; where is the school's revenue( school fees) going into? Is it the govt or the school. What are the other source of income to the school? What are the plans held ahead of the upcoming income imparting from the F.G? In what way are THEY going to improve this education of an issue through this revenue?
My questions to the F.G are; what are the necessary things expected of them to do to this sector? In what way do THEY provide other source of income to this sector for them not to overdepend on F.G? Instead of using this up as politics matter.

1 Like

Re: Strike: How FG, ASUU Faceoff Can Be Resolved By Atiku by wasak(m): 10:00pm On Oct 10, 2013
exactly what I've been saying. the change cannot occur @ once. both sides should sign an agreement to be endorsed by an act of the Parliament.
as such. It becomes justiceable quest on the part of ASUU. and a legally binding agreement on the government.
pls save us ds waste of time!!!
Re: Strike: How FG, ASUU Faceoff Can Be Resolved By Atiku by DrArewa(f): 10:59pm On Oct 10, 2013
Ppl stil tlk abt ASUU??...torh

(1) (Reply)

2014/2015 Jamb UTME Official Update! / APPLY: 2014 Google Summer Trainee Engineering Program (step) / ASUU STRIKE: No Amount Of Threat Of Forceful Reopening Of Universities Will End

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.