Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,542 members, 7,823,373 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 09:15 AM

National Carrier To Be Unveiled By Month End – Minister - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / National Carrier To Be Unveiled By Month End – Minister (1938 Views)

President Buhari Vows To Storm Niger Delta With Military Force By Month End / National Carrier To Begin Operations With 50 Aircraft / National Carrier To Commence Operations In September 2013: Aviation Minister (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

National Carrier To Be Unveiled By Month End – Minister by Nobody: 10:43pm On Oct 10, 2013
The Minister of Aviation, Princess Stella Oduah, has disclosed that necessary procedure involved in the unveiling of the nation’s national carrier would be ready before end of October.

The minister said all arrangements have been concluded but awaiting

final approval from President Goodluck Jonathan on implementation of policies on the carrier.

Oduah disclosed this at a press conference organised by the ministry on Wednesday in Abuja.

She added that the Federal Government had also spent about N9 billion for security measures in the nation’s airports.

She said, “I am happy to announce to you that we are very done with the national carrier and I will tell you very soon when we get the final approval. I guarantee you before the end of the month.”

On airport rehabilitation, the minister said a reasonable sum which is contained in the budget of the ministry had been spent on the airports, but about N648 million was spent on the General Aviation Terminal of the Nnamdi Azikwe International Airport, Abuja.
http://thenationonlineng.net/new/national-carrier-to-be-unveiled-by-month-end-minister/
Re: National Carrier To Be Unveiled By Month End – Minister by Nobody: 10:54pm On Oct 10, 2013
This is some good news in the sector.

I hope she is also considering better security checks for all classes of airlines.

Meanwhile I love how focused she is on her job despite disruptions from disgruntled elements.

Talk about "brushing them haters off your shoulders." smiley

4 Likes

Re: National Carrier To Be Unveiled By Month End – Minister by israel007: 10:56pm On Oct 10, 2013
Hope it's true. Not just true but cheaper not just cheaper, safe!

FFK will soon tweet that he wants to become a conductor

2 Likes

Re: National Carrier To Be Unveiled By Month End – Minister by DonMagicJuan: 10:56pm On Oct 10, 2013
nnenna.1:

I hope she is also considering better security checks for all classes of airlines.

Meanwhile I love how focused she is on her job despite disruptions from disgruntled elements.

Don't mind them and their bad belle.

If care is not taking come 2019 GEJ will hand over the the affairs of the Nation to her.

Make abokis and agbereos go knack head for ground
Re: National Carrier To Be Unveiled By Month End – Minister by enyi1: 10:57pm On Oct 10, 2013
those calling for her resignation are enemies of progress and should bow their heads in shame!

2 Likes

Re: National Carrier To Be Unveiled By Month End – Minister by Nobody: 10:57pm On Oct 10, 2013
nnenna.1:

That is certainly critical in the aviation industry. I hope there won't be any loopholes in airport security.
Re: National Carrier To Be Unveiled By Month End – Minister by gregg2: 10:58pm On Oct 10, 2013
Femi Fani Kayode and other haters are simply jealous that this woman's towering performance far outshines theirs. Madam, pls don't be distracted. You remain the best Aviation Minister.

6 Likes

Re: National Carrier To Be Unveiled By Month End – Minister by Nobody: 11:01pm On Oct 10, 2013
israel007: Hope it's true. Not just true but cheaper not just cheaper, safe!

It's true. The consultants for the Aviation ministry advised the FG to start the airline with an IPO (Initial Public Offer) of N200bn. The FG initially wanted to have a 25% stake in the airline, but sources say they (FG) are no longer interested in owning any stake in the airline.
Apparently, the airline will be 100% privately owned; with Nigerian citizens being able to buy shares in the national carrier.
Re: National Carrier To Be Unveiled By Month End – Minister by donphilopus: 11:01pm On Oct 10, 2013
enyi1: those calling for her resignation are enemies of progress and should bow their heads in shame!
did i hear you mention Progress??
Re: National Carrier To Be Unveiled By Month End – Minister by Nobody: 11:01pm On Oct 10, 2013
CFCfan:

That is certainly critical in the aviation industry. I hope there won't be any loopholes in airport security.

Very true. I suggest tight controls on all checks and harsh penalties for negligence.

This is also applicable to safety checks on airplanes. We cannot overlook smaller charter planes and aircrafts too.
Re: National Carrier To Be Unveiled By Month End – Minister by enyi1: 11:02pm On Oct 10, 2013
mods, this is good news. Front page pls
Re: National Carrier To Be Unveiled By Month End – Minister by israel007: 11:03pm On Oct 10, 2013
CFCfan:

It's true. The consultants for the Aviation ministry advised the FG to start the airline with an IPO (Initial Public Offer) of N200bn. The FG initially wanted to have a 25% stake in the airline, but sources say they (FG) are no longer interested in owning any stake in the airline.
Apparently, the airline will be 100% privately owned; with Nigerian citizens being able to buy shares in the national carrier.

Wow. That's great. Let's look forward to this and pray for her and our ggreat nation.
Re: National Carrier To Be Unveiled By Month End – Minister by gregg2: 11:09pm On Oct 10, 2013
My advice to her is that she should develop some balls and sack all the bad eggs who may be working to sabotage her effort. She started it, but the same bigots blaming her today started reading tribal sentiments. Even if the NCAA DG Capt Fola Akin is one of the saboteurs he should be fired and his replacement recruited from any part of Nigeria.
Re: National Carrier To Be Unveiled By Month End – Minister by Nobody: 11:13pm On Oct 10, 2013
gregg2: My advice to her is that she should develop some balls and sack all the bad eggs who may be working to sabotage her effort. She started it, but the same bigots blaming her today were reading sentiments. Even if the NCAA DG Capt Fola Akin is one of the saboteurs he should be fired and his replacement recruited from any part of Nigeria.

The NCAA DG cannot be fired by the minister, it's only GEJ that can fire him, because he (GEJ) was the person that hired the DG. The NCAA is among the class of "independent agencies" whose heads report directly to the President. The CBN governor is a good example of such heads.
Re: National Carrier To Be Unveiled By Month End – Minister by Nobody: 11:18pm On Oct 10, 2013
nnenna.1:

Very true. I suggest tight controls on all checks and harsh penalties for negligence.

This is also applicable to safety checks on airplanes. We cannot overlook smaller charter planes and aircrafts too.

True. That's why the NCAA management should do a thorough check on all candidates applying to be it's safety/maintenance engineers.
Re: National Carrier To Be Unveiled By Month End – Minister by gregg2: 11:28pm On Oct 10, 2013
CFCfan:

The NCAA DG cannot be fired by the minister, it's only GEJ that can fire him, because he (GEJ) was the person that hired the DG. The NCAA is among the class of "independent agencies" whose heads report directly to the President. The CBN governor is a good example of such heads.

That is the problem! Then, why are these ignoramus calling for her head? The NCAA DG is directly responsible to ensure aviation safety. Tribalism and Politics are not helping either. I remember when the former NCAA DG, Demuren, was sacked, the FG narrowed the search for his replacement to South West to balance some political interests. Now, see what Capt Fola Akin is offering Nigeria

1 Like

Re: National Carrier To Be Unveiled By Month End – Minister by Nobody: 12:27am On Oct 11, 2013
The new national carrier would likely be allocated the lucrative routes currently plied by Arik. Which begs the question: would the new carrier comprise some of the existing domestic carriers?
There are rumors that Arik would be merged with the remnants of the defunct Air Nigeria, and Aero to form a major part of the new airline.
Re: National Carrier To Be Unveiled By Month End – Minister by manny4life(m): 12:39am On Oct 11, 2013
CFCfan:

CFC, I beg to differ, on the Ministry of Aviation website, NCAA is under the ministry.
Re: National Carrier To Be Unveiled By Month End – Minister by homesteady(m): 12:54am On Oct 11, 2013
Cool! cool I'll love to see FFK face on the day of the unveiling grin
Re: National Carrier To Be Unveiled By Month End – Minister by Nobody: 12:57am On Oct 11, 2013
manny4life:

CFC, I beg to differ, on the Ministry of Aviation website, NCAA is under the ministry.
In a supervisory capacity?
Re: National Carrier To Be Unveiled By Month End – Minister by Nobody: 1:02am On Oct 11, 2013
homesteady: Cool! cool I'll love to see FFK face on the day of the unveiling grin
Lmao grin grin grin
Re: National Carrier To Be Unveiled By Month End – Minister by IGBOSON1: 1:11am On Oct 11, 2013
homesteady: Cool! cool I'll love to see FFK face on the day of the unveiling grin

^^^That'll be an effort seeing as he'd probably be bowing his head in shame! wink

1 Like

Re: National Carrier To Be Unveiled By Month End – Minister by Nobody: 1:15am On Oct 11, 2013
Anyway, I also hope that FAAN would reduce the airplane parking fees from $200/hr to at least $100/hr. That would go a long way in keeping the new airline in business and also lead to a reduction in the air fares foreign airlines charge on their Nigerian routes.

1 Like

Re: National Carrier To Be Unveiled By Month End – Minister by manny4life(m): 1:27am On Oct 11, 2013
CFCfan:
In a supervisory capacity?

Yep, I discovered the revelation few days ago when I was looking on NCAA information. Unfortunately you would expect NCAA to be an independent agency, but I guess Nigeria does things differently.
Re: National Carrier To Be Unveiled By Month End – Minister by manny4life(m): 1:28am On Oct 11, 2013
CFCfan: Anyway, I also hope that FAAN would reduce the airplane landing feed from $200/hr to at least $100/hr. That would go a long way in keeping the new airline in business and also lead to a reduction in the air fares foreign airlines charge on their Nigerian routes.

Landing fees is by the thousand pounds, why is Nigeria charging by the hr? An airplane lands in less than a minute, so why by the hour?
Re: National Carrier To Be Unveiled By Month End – Minister by Nobody: 1:33am On Oct 11, 2013
manny4life:

Landing fees is by the thousand pounds, why is Nigeria charging by the hr? An airplane lands in less than a minute, so why by the hour?
Oops.. I meant parking fees.
Re: National Carrier To Be Unveiled By Month End – Minister by Nobody: 1:38am On Oct 11, 2013
manny4life:

Yep, I discovered the revelation few days ago when I was looking on NCAA information. Unfortunately you would expect NCAA to be an independent agency, but I guess Nigeria does things differently.

I'm surprised too. I thought the Civil Aviation Act of 2006 granted the NCAA political independence just like the CBN.
The 'supervisory' function can create a loophole for the minister to interfere in d decision-making of the NCAA.
Re: National Carrier To Be Unveiled By Month End – Minister by manny4life(m): 1:41am On Oct 11, 2013
CFCfan:

I'm surprised too. I thought the Civil Aviation Act of 2006 granted the NCAA political independence just like the CBN.
The 'supervisory' function can create a loophole for the minister to interfere in d decision-making of the NCAA.

Well, you can see for yourself

THE MINISTRY:

The Nigerian Federal Ministry of Aviation is a ministry of the Nigerian Government that regulates air travel and aviation services in Nigeria. The ministry is responsible for formulation and management of the government's aviation policies in Nigeria. It is directly responsible for overseeing air transportation, airport development, maintenance, provision of aviation infrastructural services and other needs. The ministry is headed by a Minister appointed by the President, assisted by a Permanent Secretary, who is a career civil servant. The Ministry is responsible for parastatals such as the Nigerian College of Aviation Technology.

VISION:
To be the best Aviation Industry in Africa and one of the best in the world

MISSION:
To build a safe, secured and efficient aviation industry focused on making Nigeria a hub that meets International Standards and Best Practices for the African continent

Parastatals under the Federal Ministry of Aviation:

Nigerian metrological agencies
Nigeria college of aviation technology
Nigerian airspace management agency
Federal airport authority of nigeria
[size=14pt]Nigeria civil aviation authority[/size]
Accident investigation bureau

http://www.nigeria.gov.ng/2012-10-29-11-06-51/executive-branch/89-federal-ministry-of-aviation/112-federal-ministry-of-aviation
Re: National Carrier To Be Unveiled By Month End – Minister by manny4life(m): 1:42am On Oct 11, 2013
CFCfan:
Oops.. I meant parking fees.

Oh okay...
Re: National Carrier To Be Unveiled By Month End – Minister by manny4life(m): 1:44am On Oct 11, 2013
That conflicts with this, so what do we believe.

Nigerian Civil Aviation Authority is the regulatory body for aviation in Nigeria. It became autonomous with the passing into law of the Civil Aviation Act 2006 by the National Assembly and assent of the President of the Federal Republic of Nigeria. The Act not only empowers the Authority to regulate Aviation Safety without political interference, but also to carry out oversight functions of Airports, Airspace, Meteorological Services, etc as well as economic regulations of the industry.
Nigeria has recently successfully passed the ICAO Security follow-up Audit of May 2006 and the ICAO Universal Safety Oversight Audit in November 2006. Nigeria is now preparing for the American FAA IASA Category 1 Certification.
The country has more than 25 airports, 30 airlines, 590 pilots, 19 flight engineers, 258 air traffic controllers (ATC), 677 aircraft maintenance engineers, 1,103 cabin crew and four aircraft dispatchers.

(1) (2) (Reply)

PDP WARNS REMI TINUBU : “prepare To Vacate Your Seat” / Flood Wreaks Havoc In Ebonyi, Abakaliki (photo) / The Crimes Of President Jonathan

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.