Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,513 members, 7,812,600 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 03:57 PM

How Unilorin Impact Lives With (cobes) - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / How Unilorin Impact Lives With (cobes) (3835 Views)

How Unilorin Students Will Benefits From Offkrents.com / How Unilorin Pg Test Looks Like / How Unilorin Students Write Exam (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Unilorin Impact Lives With (cobes) by autofreak2020(m): 7:09am On Oct 11, 2013
University of Ilorin has started COBES (Community Based Experience Scheme) since 1977, it started from college of medicine to engineering and technology, communication and information science to faculty of science.
It is student-centred because the students are
encouraged and stimulated to be actively involved in
their own learning process rather than be passive
recipients of information. The students, working with
supervisors tried to work out solutions to problems
encountered at the community by formulation of
hypothesis. Thus it is a problem-solving programme.
The curriculum is oriented to studying medicine in the
community using the community as a teaching
laboratory and learning environment for studying
medicine, science and engineering (community-based ).
The curriculum thus has three pillars: student
centered, community based, and problem
solving. The working principle of the COBES
programme is to create awareness in students
to formulate hypothesis, collect, analyze and
interpret data, suggest solutions and to
evaluate methods thereby ultimately providing
services to the community.
It is mandatory for all 500level to actively participate in the program, students are divided into groups and sent to various communities accross Kwara state to render all kinds of technical services to the community that will benefit the occupants of such community.
All groups must have atleast one students from each of engineering department so as to render technical services to the group with respect to his or her department when the need arises. I am a mechanical engineering student assigned to Idofian community in Ifelodun local government, Kwara state. We have taken our time to identify common problems in the community and sat to delibrate on long lasting solutions to each of the problems and wrote proposal to the university to seek financial grants in other to execute most of the probems.
This program lasted for two weeks and the following are what we 've been able to acheive in just two weeks;
(1). Rehabilitation of one and only community bus-stop, this will enable passangers to relax and stay under shade while waiting for next available bus.
(2). Most drainages that poses serious threats to roads and residential buildings has been cleared and are properly channeled.
(3). We are enbarked on massive water purification and replacement of damaged taps.
(4). Major wells were treated to make it safe for domestic consumption and most of the damaged taps were replaced with new taps.
(5). Installation of gate arround electric power transformer.
We are bent on restoring all the road signs, repainting Zebra crossing, covering all uncovered wells in the community and installing new signs as the need arises.
(6). We painted Oludofian palace for free to give it a new look.
Also, resuscitating major street lights accross the community, going to various school for career-talks and giving technical advise to the occupants as regards how to maintain the existing amenities, the restored and rehabilitated ones.
I urge all other students that were posted to other communities to attest to this by uploading pictures of community projects that they were able to execute during the program.
Finally, this is one of many ways in which BETTER BY FAR university is contributing to our society, we take the lead in society and human development oriented projects while others follows.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Unilorin Impact Lives With (cobes) by autofreak2020(m): 7:37am On Oct 11, 2013

Re: How Unilorin Impact Lives With (cobes) by ebsuguy(m): 8:39am On Oct 11, 2013
other schools are also involved....delsu and d likes of ebsu
Re: How Unilorin Impact Lives With (cobes) by ruffytosin: 10:25am On Feb 07, 2015
Better by Far all d way!!! Love ma sch like chocolate
Re: How Unilorin Impact Lives With (cobes) by oyatmicah(m): 4:50am On Oct 08, 2016
i wan book space to talk later, bt as I don read abt dat unilag guy wey dem expel cos of bashing, i go just come here come read comments
Re: How Unilorin Impact Lives With (cobes) by oyatmicah(m): 4:50am On Oct 08, 2016
i wan book space to talk later, bt as I don read abt dat unilag guy wey dem expel cos of bashing, i go just come here come read comments.

(1) (Reply)

Prepare For 2016/2017 Post UTME ---- Nigeria Universities Tells Students / See What Happened To Unical Fresh Students On Their Matriculation (photos) / 8 Best Ways To Defend Final Year Project With Flying Colours

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.