Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,296 members, 7,829,685 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 10:30 AM

No Nigerian Citizenship For British By Marriage - Politics (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / No Nigerian Citizenship For British By Marriage (24407 Views)

Nigerian Citizenship Eligibility With Regard To Elected Offices / Nigerians Running For British Parliamentary Seats / Asari Dokubo Adopts Benin Republic, Dumps Nigerian Citizenship. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: No Nigerian Citizenship For British By Marriage by coolguyz(m): 3:53pm On Feb 12, 2009
o su mi ooooooooo embarassed embarassed embarassed
Re: No Nigerian Citizenship For British By Marriage by Plum70: 5:00pm On Feb 12, 2009
Is it not a shame that there is no such route to citizenship in the UK as well? You have to be resident in the UK in order to be granted citizenship!
Even within UK immigration law there is a provision for couples (where one is British) who have been married for 4 years or more (having lived outside the UK for thistime) to apply for Indefinite Leave to Enter straight away, foregoing any residential requirements. This makes sense for genuine marriages and encourages facilitated integration and naturalisation in my opinion.
I dont understand what the problem is with most of those criticising Nigeria for having her own laws as a sovereign nation.
I am merely voicing my opinion. No crime in that!
the same people are the ones that would tell you they want to be proud to be Nigerias; but they want Nigeria to do everything they see wherever they go. Nigeria has a right to make laws to suit her own purpose and if such a law requires residency before citizenship for foreigners, what is your problem with that?
Pure babble ignored.
You are always quick to kill Nigeria for being different habaaaaaaaaa
Again babble ignored.  I am not 'killing' Nigeria as you so aptly put it. However, I feel that the residential requirements (15 years) set out in the Nigerian Constitution for foreign spouses of Nigerian nationals wishing to naturalise via marriage is in some ways unrealistic. Suppose my professional commitments require that I am domiciled/resident in another country or another continent for protracted periods? Should the law then work against me/my spouse or should certain concessions not be put in place to accommodate (to a reasonable degree) the varying circumstances of multinational couples?

I certainly feel that the blanket-type requirements are indirectly meant to ensure that most foreigners do not attain Nigerian nationality legally. The illegal route is a whole different ball game which I will not spend my precious time debating!

The fact remains that my husband feels more and more connected to Nigeria with or without a Nigerian passport. This will have to do for now.
Re: No Nigerian Citizenship For British By Marriage by JJYOU: 5:05pm On Feb 12, 2009
how many years for passport wey dem they sell for 10k? you see why lawlessness will always be nigerian
Re: No Nigerian Citizenship For British By Marriage by JustGood(m): 5:12pm On Feb 12, 2009
Perhaps you are hard of understanding. . .

Even within UK immigration law there is a provision for couples (where one is British) who have been married for 4 years or more (having lived outside the UK for thistime) to apply for Indefinite Leave to Enter straight away, foregoing any residential requirements. This makes sense for genuine marriages and encourages facilitated integration and naturalisation in my opinion.

ILR is not the same as citizenship. AGAIN, Nigeria has a right to decide what law to enact without copying any other Nation!

Pure babble ignored.

Good. Go and change laws in your country, wherever that may be and let us babble in nigeria.

Is the 4-yr requirement in the UK not too much? who decides what length of time is realistic.
Abeg no be by force to become Nigerian. Many Nigerians also find American conditions very stiff.
Re: No Nigerian Citizenship For British By Marriage by Plum70: 6:38pm On Feb 12, 2009
JustGood:

Perhaps you are hard of understanding. . .
ILR is not the same as citizenship. AGAIN, Nigeria has a right to decide what law to enact without copying any other Nation!
Pas du tout Chouette! It's more your literacy I question! Please reread my text (if you can) - I simply said that the residential waiver available to foreign spouses of Brits who have been married for over 4 years while residing outside the UK FACILITATES integration and naturalisation. In other words it encourages such people to settle and naturalise in the UK without having to jump through (IMHO) unrealistic hoops.
Good. Go and change laws in your country, wherever that may be and let us babble in nigeria.
Now i'm more convinced that you can't read! I am Nigerian you dim wit! undecided
Is the 4-yr requirement in the UK not too much?
'out' of the UK not 'in', Geez!
who decides what length of time is realistic.
Ever heard of public consultations? Referenda?
Abeg no be by force to become Nigerian
No arguments here!  wink
Re: No Nigerian Citizenship For British By Marriage by joyerika: 12:55am On Apr 13, 2009
But can your British wife work in Nigeria without a visa?
Re: No Nigerian Citizenship For British By Marriage by ikennahill: 9:15am On Aug 22, 2009
The embassy did what the law said, so why crucify them,Nigeria is still a country, even somalia still have some rule,you will still need visa to go to the country,etc,pls follow the real way not short cuts.let the babe live for naija for the stipulated year and apply.Na so e be for everywhere.she will get residency status before citizenship.
Re: No Nigerian Citizenship For British By Marriage by nex(m): 1:52pm On Aug 22, 2009
A foreign woman married to a Nigerian cannot be a citizen of Nigeria except she renounces her citizenship to her original country. No dual citizenship for people of non-Nigerian descent.
Re: No Nigerian Citizenship For British By Marriage by MadMax1(f): 3:21pm On Aug 22, 2009
becomrich.:

Anyone married to a nigerian becomes a nigeria citizen. this is what the nigeria constitution says. The problem is the nigeria immigration do not know the rule. like thier oga, they do not read constitution

Actually the constitution says if a Nigerian MALE marries a non-Nigerian female, she may apply for citizenship. A Nigerian WOMAN married to a non-Nigerian, according to your lopsided constitution, cannot confer citizenship status on her husband. Found this out the hard and unfunny way.
Re: No Nigerian Citizenship For British By Marriage by nex(m): 3:27pm On Aug 22, 2009
@Mad_Max

and for the woman to get the Nigerian citizenship, she must first relinquish her citizenship.
Re: No Nigerian Citizenship For British By Marriage by agathamari(f): 6:35pm On Aug 22, 2009
I was told that you an get "stay" kinda like a greencard but no citizenship and you have to wait 10 years before you can be issued a nigerian passport but i do kow a german lady who just got one of the new nigerian passports and she got married 8 months ago.  i guess it all depends on how much bribe money you are wiling to pay
Re: No Nigerian Citizenship For British By Marriage by agathamari(f): 5:50pm On Aug 23, 2009
becomrich.:

who told you people that. She does not need to relinquish her citizen.

the us asks that you denounce your citizenship before you can become a US citizen but it doesnt mean that you are no longer a citizen of the other country just that you are putting your new county before your old. you can still be a dual citizen (know many) and even have citizenship in 3 or more countries (went to school with a girl who hd citizenship in 4 countries including the us and she was an imigrant and an army brat)
Re: No Nigerian Citizenship For British By Marriage by TheSeeker(m): 6:56pm On Aug 23, 2009
Imagine Nigeria rejecting people to be her citizen. Exactly what are they proud of? Don't get it wrong, I'm a proud citizen of Nigeria but I don't see any reason for their strictness when in fact the approach to getting a passport is loose. I know a lot of non-Nigerians who possess Nigerian passports; so what's the big deal about? There's nothing money can't achieve in Nigeria. In fact, people register for passports and send to other people abroad. Nonsense.

I'm a citizen to three countries (have 3 passports) and there's nothing wrong with Nigeria allowing others have access to being citizens when certain requirements are met. But live in Nigeria for at least 15 years? That's crazy! Who will do that? Can they, the rule setters, live in Nigeria for 15 years straight without jogging up and down overseas?

Stupid leaders won't give my country dignity.
Re: No Nigerian Citizenship For British By Marriage by deb(m): 4:29pm On Aug 24, 2009
Do you understand the true meaning of citizenship?
Yes, things are tough in Nigeria today, but who knows what tomorrow will bring?
If we continue to regard or treat our own country with contempt and rudeness, what do we expect from the outsiders?
So, because Nigeria isn't among the best countries on your list, therefore, Nigerian citizenship should be given freely to everybody?

To me, this is a sign of complete disrespect towards our nation and our people. I wonder if it is a lack of understanding causing this unnecessary disrespect towards our country or folks just don't care. Well, whatever it may be, one thing is certain, our offhand disdainfulness towards our country will not benefit us in any way, but further salvage our already bombarded image.

It will only be sensible for all to chillout and recognize the fact that people will only treat us the manner we've chosen to present ourselves.

There are tons of Africans and others that see something special in Nigeria and Nigerians.

Please tell them perverts!
Re: No Nigerian Citizenship For British By Marriage by na2day2(m): 12:45am On Aug 25, 2009
Mad_Max:

Actually the constitution says if a Nigerian MALE marries a non-Nigerian female, she may apply for citizenship. A Nigerian WOMAN married to a non-Nigerian, according to your lopsided constitution, cannot confer citizenship status on her husband. Found this out the hard and unfunny way.

what a sexist constitution embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed
Re: No Nigerian Citizenship For British By Marriage by Abrantie: 1:52am On Aug 25, 2009
Why does she want to be a Nigerian citizen? Even Nigerians don't want to be citizens. And you mean to tell me you couldn't bribe anybody at the NIGERIAN IMMIGRATION, to push her citizenship application through? LOL.
Re: No Nigerian Citizenship For British By Marriage by bilymuse: 10:24am On Aug 25, 2009
Why does she want to be a Nigerian citizen? Even Nigerians don't want to be citizens. And you mean to tell me you couldn't bribe anybody at the NIGERIAN IMMIGRATION, to push her citizenship application through? LOL.

tire me o, see me see trouble.
trouble dey sleep yanga go wake am
Re: No Nigerian Citizenship For British By Marriage by ogaadimma: 8:26am On Sep 12, 2009
[size=8pt][/size]
As a dual citizen living in the UK, I know that we all feel it would be nice for our spouse to have Nigerian citizenship.
The most important thing is for you kids to have dual nationality.
Your wife cannot get citizenship except she lives in Nigeria. Thats what the Nigeria High commission told me and it makes a it of sense.
Also a Nigerian nationality will help you save cost of visa and also the cost of time and travel each time you want to visit Nigeria with your spouse.
If you get the passport through illegitimate means, you will suffer because, the same wife will report you when you fall out of favor with her.
You see, if your child has UK citizenship and you take the child to live in Nigeria, no one can force you to return the child because Nigeria didnt sign the treaty about return of children.
If your Wife is a Nigerian citizen, she will be able to effectively challenge you in a Nigerian court for custody and you know, she may have the upper hand because, she can influence many people to support her including some dubious law enforcers in our dear country.
I am at a point where I want to return home and because my spouse is non Nigerian, I am stuck in a limbo.
I must go because Iam tired of living in a country where men have few rights where children are concerned.
Having a wife and child here in the Uk has been one of the ways Nigerian men have been given a criminal record and their lives distroyed.
I would be very careful if I were you.
Get your wife a multiple visa if shes travelling often to Nigeria or do your applications by recorded delivery.
And go home as soon as you can.
You will thank me one day for this advise.
Im taking to everyone who lives abroad and has kids, go home when you and wifey are still in good terms, the marriage will fail, its a matter of time and societal/family pressure.
But also let your dear wife know that if she becomes a Nigerian citizen, she might not receive diplomatic assistance from the Uk Embassy while she is in Nigeria and should any problem occur.
The advantage to you is that they wont help her if she has problem with you.
But, all in all, its not useful execept she wants to live in Nigeria.
Good luck and hope you all know that my comments are not a form of legal advise or immigration advise, Iam not qualified to give legal advise, you must contact a solicitor or citizens advise bereau or any concerned embassy if you need a correct opinion.
I will not be held liable if you use this information or if you choose to act in any way because of this information.
I had to write all these disclaimers because, the country we live in is a country governed by laws and technology, these all contribute to the stress and high rate of depression and mental health problems facing many of us who live here.
Did you know that your own wife can call the police and tell them you raped her even if its not true, you are in soup and could go to jail for a long time?
Your wife may have an affair and when you find out and challenge her, she will alledge domestic violence or rape and you will spend many years in court and pay tens of thousands of £s to lawyers and end up losing your kids and even going to jail for 3 to 5 yrs?
Be careful what you do with women out here, dont even slap her back if she slaps you, you will go to prison for sure.
And dont beat your kids or anyone.
Dont shout at your wife.
If Police are called, dont say oh my God, they could have you done up for religiousity and sectioned in mental home.
These are things you hear and learn when you fight over who will keep the kids.
Dont even go to divorse court and contest, you will be skinned alive financially.
And you my brother wants to give your wife a weapon to fight you?
A Nigerian passport .
Let her come and live in Nigeria for 10 yrs.
As a Nigerian wife, there is a special visa which she can easily get, they will never refuse her visa.
And another thing, get the form and apply for the citizenship so the embassy can formally refuse her a citizenship, that refusal letter may help you in future.
Re: No Nigerian Citizenship For British By Marriage by ogaadimma: 8:44am On Sep 12, 2009
Anyone can work in Nigeria.
There ship loads of Chinese, other Africans, British, Americans, Polish, LEBANSE and Koreans working in NIgeria, not to mention the thousands of Southafricans flocking in at the moment.
Nigeria is busy deporting the illegal ones.
Look, if you want to live in Nigeria, then, go live there, and learn the language, you will become a citizen one day.
But getting a citizenship for fun is not allowed anywhere in the world.
To be quite honest, if you are a black person, who will ask you for your nationality in Nigeria?
No one.
but if youre white, of cause, you will be asked or aksed every single second.
In Nigeria, its cool to be white even if youre a crackhead.
So, if youre looking to find a place wheer you will be treated better than youve ever been treated, go live in Nigeria if youre white.
But, the Nigerian passport? No
Re: No Nigerian Citizenship For British By Marriage by mrsb(f): 9:47am On Sep 16, 2009
Non-Nigerians married to Nigerian men can get green passports - quite a few hoops to jump through but its easily done. Must be living in Nigeria and do not need to renounce own citizenship. An african american women I know just got one.

Personally I have indefinite entry visa and right to work (thanks to Niger Wives) so apart from standing in a different queue at Murtala Mohammed, it makes no difference. Kids get Nigerian passports without question.
Re: No Nigerian Citizenship For British By Marriage by Nijasingh: 1:25am On Nov 19, 2009
In Nigeria. your wife can be given a special immigrant status as a Naija wife. Ask any Naija wives association in Nigeria. After a period she can then get full citizenship, BUT your file go take years to go through the process unless you know the right people!!
Re: No Nigerian Citizenship For British By Marriage by tanimz(f): 4:01am On Nov 19, 2009
TIT FOR TAT!!

so Nigerian embassy get sense. Do me I do you, man no go vex!!
Re: No Nigerian Citizenship For British By Marriage by oyinda3(f): 2:57am On Dec 07, 2009
lol. last time I checked you could become Nigerian citizen by just living there for 1 day. it's really that easy. or maybe i'm exagerrating a bit but still. . . you probably should take your wife to visit nigeria. I mean why would she want citizenship if she's never even been there!
Re: No Nigerian Citizenship For British By Marriage by SEFAGO(m): 3:17am On Dec 07, 2009
^ important question is why does she want nigerian citizenship- is she ready to flash her naija passport in the airport, a passport that scares the hell out of every immigration officer
Re: No Nigerian Citizenship For British By Marriage by Fhemmmy: 3:23am On Dec 07, 2009
i have some question to ask.
Has she asked for the procedure of being a Nigerian and she was shunned?
Has she applied to being a Nigerian and she was refused?
Can anyone just go to any country and cos of the color of their skin now asked for a passport, that, now have decided to be a citizen of such country? No Sir, that is not the way it is done anywhere in the world.
I am not sure how it is done in Nigeria though, but i am sure when u applied to be a citizen of Britain, you just did not walk into the embassy and tell them, you wanna be a passport holder.
We are the one that often complain that with money, we can get away with murder, and now they are doing theirr jobs at the embassy, we are crying foul, i think we make noise only when it is not to our favour.
So oga, tell your wife to find out more on how to be a Nigerian and then, hold a Nigeria passport.

BTW, you are calling Nigeria names and yet, your so called oyinbo wife would like to be a citizen of such nation and you are holding a passport of such nation ?
I begggggg
Re: No Nigerian Citizenship For British By Marriage by paddylo1(m): 3:31am On Dec 07, 2009
^ important question is why does she want nigerian citizenship- is she ready to flash her naija passport in the airport, a passport that scares the hell out of every immigration officer

perhaps she has come to realize that the only true wealth a person can have in this world, is a sense of deep roots and culture

and that is the only true inheritance u can pass on to your kid

maybe u will realize that someday too. . .hopefully u will not be too old to do something about it then

a lot of ppl on here make me laugh,u married your oyibo wife now u feel she and u can flout the laws of the land with impugnity

i hope u read the wise words of the dude (oga adimma) above

when u are done chasing that pound or euro,will that person still be next to u taking care of u 20 -30yrs from now?

perhaps then u will be in a position to value nigeria more
Re: No Nigerian Citizenship For British By Marriage by oyinda3(f): 3:33am On Dec 07, 2009
@ SEFAGO, apparently it's easier and cheaper to travel to and fro if u have the passport than having to pay all these fees for visas and stuff. but it doesn't seem to me that the wife has traveled much to naija, if at all. if she does, she would have the passport by now because it is sooo easy to get. lol

and also, maybe she just wants the citizenship and not necessarily just the passport. I mean it's nice to have your husband's citizenship as well.  plus she's white and has dual citizenship so she probably will have less of a difficult time than an indegenous nigerian with immigration officers and such.

but i am sure when u applied to be a citizen of Britain, you just did not walk into the embassy and tell them, you wanna be a passport holder.

rotfl
Re: No Nigerian Citizenship For British By Marriage by na2day2(m): 4:06am On Dec 07, 2009
SEFAGO:

stup1d question!  lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Re: No Nigerian Citizenship For British By Marriage by Nobody: 4:08am On Dec 07, 2009
Who da hell wants a Nigerian citizenship grin grin

SEFAGO:

ROTFLMAO grin grin grin
Re: No Nigerian Citizenship For British By Marriage by SEFAGO(m): 4:37am On Dec 07, 2009
stup1d question!

well na2day, i sorry bros if i vex u or if ur wife vex u, which ever one- but i think loving a country isnt a good reason for getting a nigerian passport- why do people get the passport of a country, to obviously get the benefits of having the citizenship of that country. What benefits can she derive in nigeria, no one would consider african or nigerian anyways? Does she want to start a business there? does she want to move there permanently?
Re: No Nigerian Citizenship For British By Marriage by Fhemmmy: 4:41am On Dec 07, 2009
SEFAGO:

well na2day, i sorry bros if i vex u or if your wife vex u, which ever one- but i think loving a country isnt a good reason for getting a nigerian passport- why do people get the passport of a country, to obviously get the benefits of having the citizenship of that country. What benefits can she derive in nigeria, no one would consider african or nigerian anyways? Does she want to start a business there? does she want to move there permanently?

It is obvious that there is more to the story that we dont know.
I am sure she is looking for the passport to probably be able to get some contract, or maybe the husband wanna use the woman as front for them to get some of the national cake, which there is nothing wrong in that as long as they are willing to do the right thing.
Re: No Nigerian Citizenship For British By Marriage by na2day2(m): 4:51am On Dec 07, 2009
SEFAGO:

well na2day, i sorry bros if i vex u or if your wife vex u, which ever one- but i think loving a country isnt a good reason for getting a nigerian passport- why do people get the passport of a country, to obviously get the benefits of having the citizenship of that country. What benefits can she derive in nigeria, no one would consider african or nigerian anyways? Does she want to start a business there? does she want to move there permanently?

maybe u shld read oyinda's post and stop living in that myopic world of urs. it is not every1 that just goes to collect another nation's wealth, others like to just relate for a totally different reason and i got tons of folks i personally know that i can give to u as an example.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Amaechi Is Our Member, The Senate Belongs To APC Not PDP – Ndume / Adamawa APC Welcomes Nuhu Ribadu Back To APC(photos) / Obioma: NECO Debunks Rumour Of Assassination, Says He Died Of Heart Failure In M

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 93
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.