Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,014 members, 7,821,555 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 02:56 PM

Bad Business Practice: Spectranet Sudden And Forceful Shutdown Of Old Modems - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Bad Business Practice: Spectranet Sudden And Forceful Shutdown Of Old Modems (537 Views)

Nigeria’s Oil Fields Face Shutdown Amid Price Slump / Nigeria Wants To Shutdown South African Businesses Over Xenophobic Attacks / Are Nigerians Bad Business Managers As Politicians (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Bad Business Practice: Spectranet Sudden And Forceful Shutdown Of Old Modems by viperman: 8:42am On Oct 12, 2013
So i've been a user of this internet service providers service for a long while now and for the last two months they announced they would soon start rolling out new Devices on the latest 4G LTE technology as a new product and that we old users could bring our old modems to exchange for the new faster ones anytimes we so choose with an additional trade-in payment of N8,000(as the new modem costs N18,000). I Visited their centre then(about 8weeks back) and they said they weren't ready yet...that when they were they'd send out notifications t alert their subscribers that they have started selling the new modems and those who are interested in trade-ins could ALSO come exchange their old modems for the new ones.
However, on Wednesday(9th of october) evening(as i later got to know) they decided to just forcefully, suddenly and insensitively shutdown all users using the old modems that they've been selling to people even till last month without proper notification that they'd shut it down as opposed to the practice that we were to CHOOSE if to upgrade the modems or not....even with our paid subscriptions currently running by the day and we have no access to it. I personally had mails to send to send to clients who requested pictures of vehicles they wanted to purchase from me and i couldn't till the following day using my phone as hotspot. At that time the client was no longer interested. Thinking the Spectranet was having a downtime. However, when this 'downtime' lasted over 24hrs i visited their centre in surulere only to see a large crowd of people screaming and cursing at them for forcing people to come pay extra for their so-called new modems when the old ones could still run on the same network.

My questions are:
1. Should such business practice be allowed in this country?
2. Why should a company, for the sake of making profit, force its existing subscribers who still have their subscription running to come exchange old devices for new ones at an additional cost by shutting down the subscribers internet service without proper prior notifications making people lose businesses in the process?
3. Can they be sued for this?

(1) (Reply)

Venture Capital In Nigeria / Want To Fuel Your Business? Join This Whats App Group / FG Successfully Hands Over Eko Distribution Coy To New Owners

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.