Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,468 members, 7,830,363 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 08:21 PM

What Part Of The Bible Has Been Twisted By People For Selfish Gains? - Religion (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / What Part Of The Bible Has Been Twisted By People For Selfish Gains? (23501 Views)

How To Know That The Bible Has Expired / What The Bible Has To Say About Ebola Virus & Its Solution / "The Bible Has Many Seeming Contradictions Within Its Pages" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Part Of The Bible Has Been Twisted By People For Selfish Gains? by Afam4eva(m): 4:13pm On Oct 13, 2013
lorretta u: without being told Afam,you know it's difficult for you to submit to someone who abuses you.
I'm not being sentimental here.just stating facts. Where there is love,the woman is ALL too happy to submit.I'm saying from my own personal experience.
Where the man and the woman are in it not for persnal satisfaction or selfish interest.both working towards the other's happiness.

I'll definitely be crazy not to submit to a man who makes me his priority.what exactly would I be rebelling against
His love for me?
His good leadership in the home?
His most mature and insightful ways of handling problems?
No I don't think so.

Rebellion only comes as a means of the victim trying to escape oppression.
If he isn't oppressing me,rebellion doesn't get into the equation.
And submission comes willingly,lovingly and most romantically.
Of course it's difficult to submit to someone who abuses it but the bible didn't describe any any way out. You should just continue submitting to your husband no matter what. Marriage is for better for worse and the bible explains the only reason why you should divorce your husband and abuse is not part of it.
Re: What Part Of The Bible Has Been Twisted By People For Selfish Gains? by lastmessenger: 4:28pm On Oct 13, 2013
zealed64: "A woman must not wear men's clothing, nor a man wear women's clothing, for the LORD your God detests anyone who does this." (Deuteronomy 22:5).

They don't read other verses of that same chapter, also some have twisted that verse 5 so bad as-- women do not wear trouser(4getting we have male & female trousers)

Now look at other verses of that same DEUTERONOMY 22--

"Do not wear clothes of wool and linen woven together." (Deuteronomy 22:11).

"Do not plant two kinds of seed in your vineyard; if you do, not only the crops you plant but also the fruit of the vineyard will be defiled." (Deuteronomy 22:9).

"Do not plow with an ox and a donkey yoked together." (Deuteronomy 22:10).

WHY AREN'T THEY PREACHING WITH THOSE VERSES?
guy u are 2much.i keep asking why that part is emphasized why leaving out the rest.girls can wear trouser but in all motive matters alot.
Re: What Part Of The Bible Has Been Twisted By People For Selfish Gains? by Alfoasegh: 4:36pm On Oct 13, 2013
Touch not my anointed ....

1 Like

Re: What Part Of The Bible Has Been Twisted By People For Selfish Gains? by akandea(m): 5:01pm On Oct 13, 2013
Deuteronomy 18:1-5 ; Tithes to the Levites by the other tribes of Israel since they have no possessions.
Today Pastors claim they are the Levites of today even when some are civil servants, artisan and the likes. So my question to them is which tribe do I belong to? I'm sure I will be in Judah tribe not Reuben!
Also what sort of tithes are you paying, yearly ,three years tithes? Deut 26:1-15
Re: What Part Of The Bible Has Been Twisted By People For Selfish Gains? by Msgamble: 5:04pm On Oct 13, 2013
Afam4eva: I think the original books of the bible should be shown to us written in Hebrew or whatever language it was written in. I think a huge part of the bible has being lost in translation. Those who translated it to English for the first time may have translated based on their understanding of the scripture, so invariably, we may be swallowing someone's shallow understanding of the bible. Not to forget that right now we have different versions of the bible whose supposed aim is to break down the bible but they could also be broken down based on what the writers understand and not what the original writer or God intended for people to understand. That's why churches and denominations have different belief system different from each other.
Well, visit Vatican city(their libary/archive inside d basillica) where 'original text' as written in hebrew(amraic) over 1800yrs old are safely stored(although some claimed Pope n worker is d only ppl allowed in so as to prevent buglar n descretion)
Re: What Part Of The Bible Has Been Twisted By People For Selfish Gains? by Msgamble: 5:05pm On Oct 13, 2013
Afam4eva: I think the original books of the bible should be shown to us written in Hebrew or whatever language it was written in. I think a huge part of the bible has being lost in translation. Those who translated it to English for the first time may have translated based on their understanding of the scripture, so invariably, we may be swallowing someone's shallow understanding of the bible. Not to forget that right now we have different versions of the bible whose supposed aim is to break down the bible but they could also be broken down based on what the writers understand and not what the original writer or God intended for people to understand. That's why churches and denominations have different belief system different from each other.
Well, visit Vatican city(their libary/archive inside d basillica) where 'original text' as written in hebrew(amraic) over 1800yrs old are safely stored(although some claimed Pope n worker is d only ppl allowed in so as to prevent buglar n descretion)
Re: What Part Of The Bible Has Been Twisted By People For Selfish Gains? by ugo4u: 5:06pm On Oct 13, 2013
Deut.22:5
Re: What Part Of The Bible Has Been Twisted By People For Selfish Gains? by Msgamble: 5:14pm On Oct 13, 2013
well, Vatican archives still has original text(over 1800yrs old) written in hebrew n aramiac..kindly visit/pay pilgrimage to Vatican city(although some claimed only d Pope n libary staff av access to prevent buglar n thieves-cos we heard of cases where thieves broke into d archives)
Re: What Part Of The Bible Has Been Twisted By People For Selfish Gains? by creativemusic: 5:18pm On Oct 13, 2013
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: What Part Of The Bible Has Been Twisted By People For Selfish Gains? by akandea(m): 5:21pm On Oct 13, 2013
1 chron 16:22, "touch not my anointed and do my prophet no harm".
Re: What Part Of The Bible Has Been Twisted By People For Selfish Gains? by alexleo(m): 5:30pm On Oct 13, 2013
DrummaBoy:

Again, the people who are most guilty of twisting Paul's writings are those who advocate tithing today!

Lies upon lies.

1 Like

Re: What Part Of The Bible Has Been Twisted By People For Selfish Gains? by Cmfrt001(f): 5:30pm On Oct 13, 2013
To me there are may scriptures like that of the birth of Jesus
Re: What Part Of The Bible Has Been Twisted By People For Selfish Gains? by ALASADONALD: 5:57pm On Oct 13, 2013
all the same but never give because any pastor asked you to give. give because u want to give. during peter, all the money that members were bringing to the apostle were again share among the same members. that was y ananias and saphira died cos after sharing from people's own, they hide their own. when pastor breach with these couple, they jump the place that money brought to church was share for the same members and concentrate on the lie they told. brothers, church offering and tithes are not for pastor but the church which are the member.

the bible say, bring all ye tithe and offering so that there may be meat in my house. the meat is for any one that come to the house but not pastors alone. do you know if a chuch generate N100million and share that amount to members according to their needs, poverty will vanished and Christianity will have its real meaning? there will be robers, kidnaping etc.

whatever the case, give no minding what they do with it but let you intention be on God.

1 Like

Re: What Part Of The Bible Has Been Twisted By People For Selfish Gains? by abiolaope: 6:56pm On Oct 13, 2013
They have changed the lords prayer to sooth their interest. "AND FORGIVE OUR SINS AS WE FORGIVE THOSE WHOEVER SIN AGAIST US" is now changed to ''AND FORGIVE OUR DEBT AS WE FORGIVE THOSE WHO OWED US DEBT''
Re: What Part Of The Bible Has Been Twisted By People For Selfish Gains? by baron2000(m): 7:06pm On Oct 13, 2013
DrummaBoy: 'Touch not my anointed and do my prophets no harm'

A scripture used to justify the fact that pastors, regardless of how thieving they are, must not be criticized. They forget that that scriptures, found in Psalms, refers to the whole people of Israel. Thus, in application today, it must be the whole church and not just a privileged few.

Your entire generation is forever blessed.... Amen!!!
Re: What Part Of The Bible Has Been Twisted By People For Selfish Gains? by pianogirl(f): 7:11pm On Oct 13, 2013
Afam4eva:
Of course it's difficult to submit to someone who abuses it but the bible didn't describe any any way out. You should just continue submitting to your husband no matter what. Marriage is for better for worse and the bible explains the only reason why you should divorce your husband and abuse is not part of it.
In reference to the bolded..Like seriously,are you kidding me?So tell me,If you have a sister who is being emotionally and physically abused by the husband to the extent that it has become a matter of life and death..Will you advise her to remain in the marriage and keep submitting to him until he finally beats her to death?Common sense should tell you otherwise.
For instance, If there is a conflict between what her husband wants and what God has instructed in the Bible, whose will do you expect the woman to submit to? Her husband's will or God's will?
Scripture does not define submission as a mindless obedience to a husband’s every wish
or demand so don't expect a woman to be submitting to her husband no matter what..Remember she is also subject to God as a higher authority over the husband. I think you are the one who is twisting and misinterpreting things here.

1 Like

Re: What Part Of The Bible Has Been Twisted By People For Selfish Gains? by oofiliaaron(m): 7:17pm On Oct 13, 2013
Handsomeemmy: According to Apostle peter in his second letter as recorded in the book of 2 Peter 3:16

2 Peter 3:16
English Standard Version (ESV)
16 as he does in all his letters when he speaks in them of these matters.There are some things in them that are hard to understand, which the ignorant and unstable twist to their own destruction,as they do the other Scriptures.

So the question is what part do you think has been twisted by individuals, pastors etc for their own gains?
. The day of worship; the sabbath. It has been moved from saturday to sunday.
Re: What Part Of The Bible Has Been Twisted By People For Selfish Gains? by SalC: 7:22pm On Oct 13, 2013
abiolaope: They have changed the lords prayer to sooth their interest. "AND FORGIVE OUR SINS AS WE FORGIVE THOSE WHOEVER SIN AGAIST US" is now changed to ''AND FORGIVE OUR DEBT AS WE FORGIVE THOSE WHO OWED US DEBT''
Try owe such people, you will be as good as dead.
Re: What Part Of The Bible Has Been Twisted By People For Selfish Gains? by Nicepoker(m): 7:32pm On Oct 13, 2013
lorretta u: That part of the bible that says 'women submit to your husband' has been always totally abused by men.

They delibrately leave out that part that says 'husbands love your wives as jesus loves his church'
Meaning you should love your wife to point of sacrificing urself is need be for her.and in return,she'll submit to you.

Now who wouldn't submit to someone who's primary care and concern is for her well being?

women and marriage na wa o
Re: What Part Of The Bible Has Been Twisted By People For Selfish Gains? by chy22(m): 7:33pm On Oct 13, 2013
Twisting the bible is one thing but must times these pastors are very smart that they try to mislead their members with out them knowing it indirect twisting of the bible.

I prefer to call it systemic omissions, a situation where these pastors intentionally reads only one verse instead of the whole chapter, or reads only one sentence or line instead of the whole verse in the bible, which then allows them to pass the wrong massage across to their members.

The second one is numerous amount of pamflets, booklets, bulletins and books these pastors write that allows them to carry out these systemic omissions mentioned above again with maximum delusion to their members.

The questions are, how will a pastor that calls him or her self God's servant prefer to read only one verse or one sentence from a bible chapter, even when they know that members might not put it into context.

Second is why have Christians decided not to read the bible but prefer reading pamflets,booklets and bulletins written by their pastors for the sole purpose of delusion.

Not till we Christians read the bible our self and stop relying on pastors translation of God's words only then can we really see these pastors for what they are.
People needs to stop been lazy and read the bible for them selves after all we all have got holy Spirit by our side and we can equally make the right choices between wrong and good by our selves.

1 Like

Re: What Part Of The Bible Has Been Twisted By People For Selfish Gains? by Nobody: 7:43pm On Oct 13, 2013
Afam4eva:
now you're kidding.
Re: What Part Of The Bible Has Been Twisted By People For Selfish Gains? by dantitiki(m): 7:51pm On Oct 13, 2013
"Jesus Christ turned water into Wine" - Alcoholics
Re: What Part Of The Bible Has Been Twisted By People For Selfish Gains? by Afam4eva(m): 7:54pm On Oct 13, 2013
piano_girl:
In reference to the bolded..Like seriously,are you kidding me?So tell me,If you have a sister who is being emotionally and physically abused by the husband to the extent that it has become a matter of life and death..Will you advise her to remain in the marriage and keep submitting to him until he finally beats her to death?Common sense should tell you otherwise.
For instance, If there is a conflict between what her husband wants and what God has instructed in the Bible, whose will do you expect the woman to submit to? Her husband's will or God's will?
Scripture does not define submission as a mindless obedience to a husband’s every wish
or demand so don't expect a woman to be submitting to her husband no matter what..Remember she is also subject to God as a higher authority over the husband. I think you are the one who is twisting and misinterpreting things here.
Is it about what i think or what the bible says? Personally i don't follow everything that's in the bible. If as a man, i start having some serious problems with my wife, i will file for a divorce cos i like my sanity. So, no, i won't encourage my sister to remain in an abusive relationship but the bible is clear on issues like that.
Re: What Part Of The Bible Has Been Twisted By People For Selfish Gains? by slimmingcare(f): 8:18pm On Oct 13, 2013
HMMM
Re: What Part Of The Bible Has Been Twisted By People For Selfish Gains? by InvertedHammer: 8:47pm On Oct 13, 2013

/
Tell you what. Mathew 7:7 is an overstatement--

“Ask, and it will be given to you; seek, and you will find; knock, and it will be opened to you"

Nobody is opening anything without money exchanging hands these days. Emphasis mine!

/
Re: What Part Of The Bible Has Been Twisted By People For Selfish Gains? by Julbu(m): 9:07pm On Oct 13, 2013
Exodus 20:8-11.there is no place in the whole bible that says sunday is the day of worship.
Ask ur pastors to show u in the bible the bible text that support sunday worship.saturday is the only biblical supported day!
Re: What Part Of The Bible Has Been Twisted By People For Selfish Gains? by tonte(m): 9:31pm On Oct 13, 2013
Good to know nobody is talking about my favorite verse Isaiah 4:1 "And in that day [b][/b]seven[b][/b]women shall take hold of one man saying, we shall wear our own apparel nd eat our own bread only to be called by thy name so we may not be mocked as old Maidens"

That's God talking about me, 7 women, all to me, and I won't have to spend on dinner or shopping, cos they would eat their own bread and wear their own apparel don't we just love the Lord

1 Like

Re: What Part Of The Bible Has Been Twisted By People For Selfish Gains? by tchigofigo(m): 9:35pm On Oct 13, 2013
calculusx: My Conern is must my tithe be in cash? What if im a Farmer,can't i do 10% of my monthly farm product. Someone shld pls shed more light on this.
of course u can..but, if it were 2 be so, then d church wil b filled wit items like.,goats, cows, birds, catfish, pepper, garden eggs, aloe vera, palm nuts, etc.,i'm sure u wont wan'o pastor such churches.,it's easier n safer in cash.,dts if u choose to tithe
Re: What Part Of The Bible Has Been Twisted By People For Selfish Gains? by tchigofigo(m): 9:48pm On Oct 13, 2013
oofiliaaron: . The day of worship; the sabbath. It has been moved from saturday to sunday.
yea.,by a roman emperor.,a pagan, emperor constantine..,321 AD at d Council of Laodecia.,wn he wantd to unite d roman empire-d papal n pagan rome..,they (with d church), agreed to use sunday, d day of d SUN god, revered by d pagans..,(visit d 'History of the church'-encyclopaedia britannica to knw mre...).,now i'l ask, hu wld u obey? GOD or Man?
Re: What Part Of The Bible Has Been Twisted By People For Selfish Gains? by critique101(f): 10:12pm On Oct 13, 2013
shocked undecided
Re: What Part Of The Bible Has Been Twisted By People For Selfish Gains? by babino22: 10:13pm On Oct 13, 2013
Money answereth all things

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Corruption Now Official In Nigeria – Bakare / Pastor Penuel Mnguni Feeds Congregation With Dog And Frog Meat To Heal HIV / Joshua Iginla Visits Manger Where Jesus Was Wrapped & Kept After Delivery (Photo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.