Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,618 members, 7,820,186 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 11:07 AM

The Preservation Of Dialects In Igboland - Culture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / The Preservation Of Dialects In Igboland (5850 Views)

The Dialects Of Ibibio And Where They Are Spoken / A List Of Igbo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. / List Of Yoruba Dialects (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Preservation Of Dialects In Igboland by Fulaman198(m): 10:47pm On Oct 19, 2013
Well gentlemen, understood please carry on I find this thread interesting

1 Like

Re: The Preservation Of Dialects In Igboland by Nobody: 10:51pm On Oct 19, 2013
bigfrancis21:

You're right. The thread should have been in Igbo instead but not everyone writes Igbo well. And like Afam said, we don't want anyone to be left out.

O dikwa ka anyi a ya-ebido subakwa Igbo ebe anunwa. Nwa awka, kedu ife I lo? cheesy

Nsuo Awka ikaa, I gha aghotakwa? grin
Re: The Preservation Of Dialects In Igboland by ChinenyeN(m): 11:50pm On Oct 19, 2013
Afam4eva: What we should be striving for, is to maintain our villages and small towns because those are the places where our dialects can be preserved.

Not necessarily. It isn't necessary to maintain the villages and/or small towns simply to preserve the various lects. In fact, in my opinion, that sort of mentality is counter-productive in the grand scheme of things. It will only serve to perpetuate the stagnation that Igbo language as a whole is currently experiencing. What should first be done is for the lects to be thoroughly captured in writing. This is a responsibility for the individual communities, meaning Aro, Uratta, Echie, Isu, etc. will all be responsible for their own lects. It will be their responsibility to write their own dictionaries and document lexicon associated with their respective socio-cultural/socio-political activities.

Next, they should involve their lects in linguistic studies, papers, books. By this, I do not mean writing "grammar books" and "grammar packets". I mean actual linguistic studies concerned with syntax and etymology. If Igbo speakers don't know where to begin, then they should take a page from Ngwa's example. Beginning as early as the 1950's, Ngwa people have been doing a lot in preserving and perpetuating their speech. If I listed them out, some would either think it too good to be true, or that I am fabricating things. So far, the latest development by Ngwa people is the Ngwa-English dictionary that Odumchi noted earlier on. Also, coming up this year is the Ezumezu Ugwu Afo 2013 to be held at Aba. It is a program for all Ngwa people willing and able to attend, and one of the key objectives of this program is the Ngwa Language Development initiative.

If Igbo as a whole, and local communities in particular, developed this sort of attitude, then there would not be much of a need to maintain villages and small towns for the purpose of dialectal preservation.
Re: The Preservation Of Dialects In Igboland by odumchi: 5:33am On Oct 20, 2013
bigfrancis21:

I'm totally in support of dialect preservation. It showcases the beauty and diversity of the Igbo language. A historian's count of Igbo dialects was over 800. I don't remember the man's name.

Modern Igbo-language musicians use more of central Igbo in their songs. The ilk of Osadebe, Morocco, and other great musicians sang purely in their native dialects. But the trend currently has changed. Sonny Bobo's Owerri songs employs substantial central Igbo, not exclusively Owerri. It is quite rare to find a purely Owerri native song. Flavour n'Abania from Anambra combines both Anambra + central Igbo. And so on. The modern trend nowadays has changed. And I fear that in some years' time, it will be hard to find musicians singing purely in their native dialects.

You're right. There's definitely been a shift - at least among musicians from certain areas. At the same time, a handful of musicians like Bogar Bongo, Koko Nwa Jesus, Shama Melody, Chijioke Mbanefo (Osadebe Jr), and Saro Wiwa are still trying to keep the dialect tradition alive. I'd say that if the trend continues, the only place where artists would definitely still be singing in their raw native dialects languages would be in Delta. Anioma artists are trying.

As for my signature, let Radiollo take a guess first. cool

Afam4eva: But how can anyone expect people who live in cities like Aba or Enugu to maintain the dialects of these places. These cities are cosmopolitan and are filled with Igbos from every length and breadth and Central Igbo tends to take pre-eminence in such places. What we should be striving for, is to maintain our villages and small towns because those are the places where our dialects can be preserved.

The reason we know about the Romans and other ancient peoples today is because they were smart enough to leave written records. Without these records nothing would be known about their history, culture, or language. The same goes for the Igbo. The earlier people realize the danger and vulnerability present in leaving their cultures and dialects unrecorded, the better. In creating records (whether digital or textual) of every aspect of our lives, we will be saving a wealth of information for future generations because, whether we like it or not, things change. Today's Igbo dialects probably sound nothing like they did in the year 1850. Unfortunately, we will never know. Why? Because our ancestors had no means of recording them. We, the generation of today, should take advantage of our blessings.
Re: The Preservation Of Dialects In Igboland by Yujin(m): 7:44am On Oct 20, 2013
Afam4eva:
The price we have to pay for Igbo unity.
Simple and short. You cannot eat your cake and have it.
Many dialects will die off while some will remain albeit in the adulterated form in our small & big towns and cities. That is simply evolution.
Re: The Preservation Of Dialects In Igboland by Yujin(m): 7:52am On Oct 20, 2013
Even the Anioma dialects will disappear although not completely and many other Igbo areas outside SE will be reabsorbed into Igboland if and only if we sustain Asusu Igbo- be it Izugbe or a mixture of central Igbo and the host communities' dialect. It is however good to teach ones children ones dialect.
Look into the future.
Re: The Preservation Of Dialects In Igboland by bigfrancis21: 8:24am On Oct 20, 2013
Radoillo:

Nsuo Awka ikaa, I gha aghotakwa? grin

Eeyi! Suo ka m tapialu gi ya kita kita. smiley
Re: The Preservation Of Dialects In Igboland by Antivirus92(m): 10:14am On Oct 20, 2013
Radoillo ivu onye awka?. Avum nwa ivite awka, born and brought up in ivite though not an awka indigene. Kedi onumala gi n'awka?. Nya abukwana ndi amudo,umudioka,umuzocha na amikwo, ndu anwu nine vu ndu nsogbu!

1 Like

Re: The Preservation Of Dialects In Igboland by Nobody: 10:15am On Oct 20, 2013
bigfrancis21:

Eeyi! Suo ka m tapialu gi ya kita kita. smiley

LOL! Rafuvbakana, na Awka anwu aka abachara m onu mma.

I nwete ika umu okolobia Awka na amu m amu ma nsuvba Awka eh... grin
Re: The Preservation Of Dialects In Igboland by bigfrancis21: 10:28am On Oct 20, 2013
Antivirus92: Radoillo ivu onye awka?. Avum nwa ivite awka, born and brought up in ivite though not an awka indigene. Kedi onumala gi n'awka?. Nya abukwana ndi amudo,umudioka,umuzocha na amikwo, ndu anwu nine vu ndu nsogbu!

A ghotakwa m ive niine I delu ebe anwa! cheesy

Nee ife I delu n'asusu onicha:

Radoillo I bu onye Awka? Abu m nwa ifite awka, a mulu m, zuo m n'ifite, mana a buro m nwa awka. Kedu ogbe I n'awka? Nya abukwana ndi amudo, umudioka, umwzocha na amikwo...ndi anwa niine bu ndi nsogbu!

N'ezie, asusu onitsha dikwa iche na asusu awka. Ife di iche dikwa.

Igbo amaka. smiley
Re: The Preservation Of Dialects In Igboland by bigfrancis21: 10:30am On Oct 20, 2013
Radoillo:

LOL! Rafuvbakana, na Awka anwu aka abachara m onu mma.

I nwete ika umu okolobia Awka na amu m amu ma nsuvba Awka eh... grin

LOL! I ya-akaba aru ka o basia I n'onu ofuma, ka I kwulu chim n'asusu I. Ka I bulu akwaa akwulu. cheesy

M nolukwuo ebe umu ikolobia awka na-amu I amu, m ma-esolukwa fa muba I amu o. grin grin
Re: The Preservation Of Dialects In Igboland by Nobody: 10:38am On Oct 20, 2013
bigfrancis21:

LOL! I ya-akaba aru ka o basia I n'onu ofuma, ka I kwulu chim n'asusu I. Ka I bulu akwaa akwulu. cheesy

M nolukwuo ebe umu ikolobia awka na-amu I amu, m ma-esolukwa fa muba I amu o. grin grin

Onye Umuzocha Ogboogu ka gi n'ya n'ekwu. cool Anyi enwerekwe nsogbu, mana onye choo anyi okwu anyi n'ya emejuo ivbe avbo.

O ndu be nne m ochie vbe pa nsogbu nine du n'Awka n'ishi. Nne m ochie shi Umudioka. grin
Re: The Preservation Of Dialects In Igboland by bigfrancis21: 10:45am On Oct 20, 2013
Radoillo:

Onye Umuzocha Ogboogu ka gi n'ya n'ekwu. cool Anyi enwerekwe nsogbu, mana onye choo anyi okwu anyi n'ya emejuo ivbe avbo.

O ndu be nne m ochie ve pa nsogbu nine du n'Awka n'ishi. Nne m ochie shi Umudioka. grin

Daalu so. Asusu unu dikwa uso. Mana kita bu mbosi izizi m na-afu mgbochiume 'vb' n'asusu Igbo. Mana a makwa m ka esi akpoputa ya. cheesy

Haha. E vukwana nsogbu n'ishi ka ndu Umudioka.cheesy Obala fa dikwa I n'aru. grin
Re: The Preservation Of Dialects In Igboland by Nobody: 10:52am On Oct 20, 2013
LOL. grin

Uvbodu na-edie duka 'fv'. Uvbodukwa na-edie duka 'vb', makana ele eshi akpofutia duka ele ndu Bini shi akpo 'vb' na 'Egharevba'.
Re: The Preservation Of Dialects In Igboland by Antivirus92(m): 11:19am On Oct 20, 2013
bigfrancis21:

A ghotakwa m ive niine I delu ebe anwa! cheesy

Nee ife I delu n'asusu onicha:

Radoillo I bu onye Awka? Abu m nwa ifite awka, a mulu m, zuo m n'ifite, mana a buro m nwa awka. Kedu ogbe I n'awka? Nya abukwana ndi amudo, umudioka, umwzocha na amikwo...ndi anwa niine bu ndi nsogbu!

N'ezie, asusu onitsha dikwa iche na asusu awka. Ife di iche dikwa.

Igbo amaka. smiley
ooh nwanne bigfrancis, i vu onye onitsha. Thank God you are not one of those bini drum beaters. Gbachi radoillo nkiti, ndu umuzocha ogboogu vu nnekwute ndu nsogbu. Ndu achoro nsogbu vu ndu ivite, umujagwo,umike, umueri,nkwerre wdg. Ndu anwu nine m deli na izizi vu ndu nsogbu. Akam cheteli ive m na va jeli mgbe m na agu akwukwo na igwebuike. Mana radoilln di cool oo...lol...
Re: The Preservation Of Dialects In Igboland by Nobody: 11:26am On Oct 20, 2013
Antivirus92: ooh nwanne bigfrancis, i vu onye onitsha. Thank God you are not one of those bini drum beaters. Gbachi radoillo nkiti, ndu umuzocha ogboogu vu nnekwute ndu nsogbu. Ndu achoro nsogbu vu ndu ivite, umujagwo,umike, umueri,nkwerre wdg. Ndu anwu nine m deli na izizi vu ndu nsogbu. Akam cheteli ive m na va jeli mgbe m na agu akwukwo na igwebuike. Mana radoilln di cool oo...lol...

LOL! Rafugodu akuko ndu Umuike na ndu Umuere. Ka m gbene agbana vba n'anwu. Hehehe.
Re: The Preservation Of Dialects In Igboland by Antivirus92(m): 11:42am On Oct 20, 2013
Radoillo:

LOL! Rafugodu akuko ndu Umuike na ndu Umuere. Ka m gbene agbana vba n'anwu. Hehehe.
udo!
Re: The Preservation Of Dialects In Igboland by bigfrancis21: 12:21pm On Oct 20, 2013
Antivirus92: ooh nwanne bigfrancis, i vu onye onitsha. Thank God you are not one of those bini drum beaters. Gbachi radoillo nkiti, ndu umuzocha ogboogu vu nnekwute ndu nsogbu. Ndu achoro nsogbu vu ndu ivite, umujagwo,umike, umueri,nkwerre wdg. Ndu anwu nine m deli na izizi vu ndu nsogbu. Akam cheteli ive m na va jeli mgbe m na agu akwukwo na igwebuike. Mana radoilln di cool oo...lol...

grin

A bughi m te onye Onicha(ka m suo ka ndu Nsukka!). A bu m Onye Enugwu-Ukwu. Mana m na-asu Onicha ofuma.

LOL. N'ezie, Radoillo di nwayoo. Isi julu ya oyi. wink
Re: The Preservation Of Dialects In Igboland by bigfrancis21: 12:22pm On Oct 20, 2013
Radoillo: LOL. grin

Uvbodu na-edie duka 'fv'. Uvbodukwa na-edie duka 'vb', makana ele eshi akpofutia duka ele ndu Bini shi akpo 'vb' na 'Egharevba'.

Udo! Ya gazielu gi ofuma.
Re: The Preservation Of Dialects In Igboland by Nobody: 12:25pm On Oct 20, 2013
grin grin grin It's like I'll open an Awka thread one of these days. A bit of history, a bit of culture. grin grin

1 Like

Re: The Preservation Of Dialects In Igboland by Antivirus92(m): 3:58pm On Oct 20, 2013
bigfrancis21:

grin

A bughi m te onye Onicha(ka m suo ka ndu Nsukka!). A bu m Onye Enugwu-Ukwu. Mana m na-asu Onicha ofuma.

LOL. N'ezie, Radoillo di nwayoo. Isi julu ya oyi. wink
enugwu-ukwu na umunri, umu nnem. Agbulu afu ka m si.
Re: The Preservation Of Dialects In Igboland by Antivirus92(m): 4:09pm On Oct 20, 2013
Radoillo: grin grin grin It's like I'll open an Awka thread one of these days. A bit of history, a bit of culture. grin grin
o ga-adi interesting. Ka anyi karia maka ndu baanyi.
Re: The Preservation Of Dialects In Igboland by bigfrancis21: 7:48pm On Oct 20, 2013
Antivirus92: enugwu-ukwu na umunri, umu nnem. Agbulu afu ka m si.

N'ezie. Akuko ifo na-ekwu na diokpa mulu Enugwu-ukwu bu diokpala Nri. Nya melu na Ofor Nri ji wee di na bee ayi, Enugwu-ukwu, n'obu ayi.
Re: The Preservation Of Dialects In Igboland by bigfrancis21: 7:49pm On Oct 20, 2013
Antivirus92: o ga-adi interesting. Ka anyi karia kalia maka ndu baanyi.

grin
Re: The Preservation Of Dialects In Igboland by Fulaman198(m): 8:20pm On Oct 20, 2013
I like what I'm seeing. A page full of Igbo and not English.

1 Like

Re: The Preservation Of Dialects In Igboland by Antivirus92(m): 8:58pm On Oct 20, 2013
bigfrancis21:

grin
chai, bigfrancis, ina akpa mmadu ochi.
Re: The Preservation Of Dialects In Igboland by bigfrancis21: 11:04pm On Oct 20, 2013
Fulaman198: I like what I'm seeing. A page full of Igbo and not English.

Daalu nwanne! cheesy

Hope you understood that?
Re: The Preservation Of Dialects In Igboland by bigfrancis21: 11:04pm On Oct 20, 2013
Antivirus92: chai, bigfrancis, ina akpa mmadu ochi.

grin
Re: The Preservation Of Dialects In Igboland by bigfrancis21: 11:05pm On Oct 20, 2013
Re: The Preservation Of Dialects In Igboland by ChinenyeN(m): 11:35pm On Oct 20, 2013
Radoillo: grin grin I think I might have an idea what it says. Chinenye's own though....I'm totally clueless.
It's an old Ngwa proverb, and you know how coded/cryptic old proverbs can be. Anyway, are you familiar much with Ngwa?
Re: The Preservation Of Dialects In Igboland by Nobody: 11:56pm On Oct 20, 2013
ChinenyeN:
It's an old Ngwa proverb, and you know how coded/cryptic old proverbs can be. Anyway, are you familiar much with Ngwa?

I used to think I was...until I came to nairaland and realized that what I used to call Ngwa (i.e, Urban Aba dialect) is actually a 'watered-down' version.
Re: The Preservation Of Dialects In Igboland by ChinenyeN(m): 6:55pm On Oct 21, 2013
Urban Aba dialect is not even a watered down version of Ngwa. It's actually what some of us on NL have dubbed "SCI" (Southern Central Igbo), which is the spoken standard that can be found in major southern Igboland urban areas, like Owerri and Umuahia. It does not bear much of a semblance to the actual Aba la Ohazu clan dialect.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Meaning Of Dawodu / A Woman Combining Her Maiden With Her Husbands Name / Wishing You All A Very Merry Christmas And A Wonderful New Year!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.