Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,588 members, 7,816,447 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 11:23 AM

Ways To Prepare For The Death Of Blackberry Phones - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Ways To Prepare For The Death Of Blackberry Phones (1482 Views)

The Untimely Death Of Airtel Nigeria. / Photos Showing The History Of Blackberry! / Etisalat Reduces Price Of Blackberry Plan (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ways To Prepare For The Death Of Blackberry Phones by silica(m): 11:30am On Oct 13, 2013
5 Must Haves for BlackBerry Phone Owners in Preparation for Death of Canadian Phone Maker
By Vittorio Hernandez | October 13, 2013 7:02 PM EST
Whether BlackBerry officials admit it or not, the handwriting is on the wall for the Canadian phone maker which once ruled the mobile phone

Amid reports of almost $1 billion write off due to new models that nobody wants to buy, interested buyers of the company once called Research in Motion, announcement of lay offs by the thousands and poaching by Apple of soon-to-be unemployed BlackBerry staff, where does this leave owners of BlackBerry smartphones?

PC World's Tony Bradley describes the Waterloo, Ontario-based manufacturer as on life support and forecast that 12 months from now, there would be a huge RIP sign on the company.
For companies that rely on BlackBerry for mobile communication and productivity, don't drop yet your gadgets like hot potatoes, Mr Bradley advises.

He instead recommends five things that BlackBerry phone owners must do to prepare for the inevitable demise of the company, and soon, its services.

New mobile platform - To help assess what new platform and model to switch to (Android, iOS, Windows), pinpoint the BlackBerry features and benefits that are important to your business or personally then compare which among the 3 available OS comes closest to providing what BlackBerry can no longer provide soon.
Management of your mobile device - With the BlackBerry Enterprise Service (BES), companies had direct control over their mobile ecosystem and tools to provide, protect and manage BlackBerry gadgets. All that, however, will soon end. Switching to iOS or Android could extend the familiar BES environment via the BlackBerry Mobile Fusion, which is not possible if you opt for a Windows phone. But it's only a short-term transition because you ultimately have to be weaned from the BlackBerry ecosystem and learn to embrace the alternatives.
BBM app to maintain security, reliability and familiarity of current system - BlackBerry is offering the app to ease the transition from BBM to iOS or Android, although the apps are still on hold due to a botched launch.
Data protection - Assess your chosen mobile platform choice to replace your BlackBerry, both on the device and during transfer across the airwaves. One lament of BlackBerry users soon to bury their device is that while the other smartphones could function as good or even better than BlackBerry, it could not match encryption and data security offered by the Canadian company.
Additional apps - Check the apps you use on your BlackBerry device and compare with what's available in your next option. Then search for proper alternative apps.
Expect more speculations as the technology world waits for what would happen to BlackBerry, the company. What company would buy the floundering tech firm would determine what's next for BlackBerry phone owners.

But don't count on your device being a collector's item since there are millions of Q10 and Z10 units sitting in BlackBerry warehouses and retail outlets waiting for someone to have pity and buy them.

To contact the editor, e-mail: editor@ibtimes.com

http://au.ibtimes.com/articles/513427/20131013/5-haves-blackberry-phone-owners-preparation-death.htm#.UlpxrDK9KK0
Re: Ways To Prepare For The Death Of Blackberry Phones by abubaka101: 6:09pm On Oct 14, 2013
RIM has been sold to investors, so expect a more revitalized Blackberry.
Re: Ways To Prepare For The Death Of Blackberry Phones by silica(m): 6:51pm On Oct 14, 2013
abubaka101: RIM has been sold to investors, so expect a more revitalized Blackberry.
my guy am sorry but you seem totally out of touch with your much beloved phone maker. To start with, the company RIM changed its name to Blackberry on the 30th of October, 2013;
secondly, even though several firms have expressed interest in Blackberry, none has actually cystalised.
blackberry had to under right $1 billion to retailers, following the flop of its latest phones which failed to garner enough interest.
the most recently launched phones Z30 was dead on arrival;
finally, the expected launch of the BBM for android and IOS was suspended due to technical issues with the server, further dampening investors interest. the option being considered now is the breakdown of the firm into its various components.
Take heed bros, you've been schooled!

1 Like

Re: Ways To Prepare For The Death Of Blackberry Phones by Babalegba(m): 6:59pm On Oct 14, 2013
Just why do nigerians envy BB owners so much..
Re: Ways To Prepare For The Death Of Blackberry Phones by abubaka101: 10:19pm On Oct 14, 2013
silica:
my guy am sorry but you seem totally out of touch with your much beloved phone maker. To start with, the company RIM changed its name to Blackberry on the 30th of October, 2013;
secondly, even though several firms have expressed interest in Blackberry, none has actually cystalised.
blackberry had to under right $1 billion to retailers, following the flop of its latest phones which failed to garner enough interest.
the most recently launched phones Z30 was dead on arrival;
finally, the expected launch of the BBM for android and IOS was suspended due to technical issues with the server, further dampening investors interest. the option being considered now is the breakdown of the firm into its various components.
Take heed bros, you've been schooled!
First thing: Am an Android use.
Second: The date is not yet October 30th, as of the time of this post.
Third: RIM agreed to sell the company to a consortium of investors for nearly $5bn, the same week the company scheduled for the release of BBM on Android and IOS.
That same week RIM lost a lot of money in the stock market and cut over 3000 jobs, this happenend just a day to the launch of BBM on IOS and Android.
You've now been tutored, so humour me, I love a good arguement.
Re: Ways To Prepare For The Death Of Blackberry Phones by Nobody: 11:35pm On Oct 14, 2013
Are we still on dis?? I use a bb,u use android,sooo? All dis childishness cos of d phnes pple use shud stop!
Re: Ways To Prepare For The Death Of Blackberry Phones by psalmdave(m): 11:52pm On Oct 14, 2013
Babalegba: Just why do nigerians envy BB owners so much..
and they still remain the only pingers
Re: Ways To Prepare For The Death Of Blackberry Phones by Genuflect(m): 1:48am On Oct 15, 2013
It ain't RIM no more nao. It's Blackberry nikkaz. Update!
The only reason I own a BB is because of the cheap internet on it. That's a huge plus if you ask me. Until I can buy 3GB of data with 1k on my Android, I ain't disposing the BB just yet. The BB still thrives in the third world even though it's old news in the first world
Re: Ways To Prepare For The Death Of Blackberry Phones by oseiwe(m): 5:53am On Oct 15, 2013
^^^Genuflect has spoken....
Re: Ways To Prepare For The Death Of Blackberry Phones by walcolm(m): 8:15am On Oct 15, 2013
Genuflect: It ain't RIM no more nao. It's Blackberry nikkaz. Update!
The only reason I own a BB is because of the cheap internet on it. That's a huge plus if you ask me. Until I can buy 3GB of data with 1k on my Android, I ain't disposing the BB just yet. The BB still thrives in the third world even though it's old news in the first world

Which BlackBerry model do you use ?
Re: Ways To Prepare For The Death Of Blackberry Phones by Genuflect(m): 11:28pm On Oct 15, 2013
walcolm:

Which BlackBerry model do you use ?
Curve 7. Why you ask tho?
Re: Ways To Prepare For The Death Of Blackberry Phones by walcolm(m): 2:49am On Oct 16, 2013
Genuflect:
Curve 7. Why you ask tho?

You should try the z10
Re: Ways To Prepare For The Death Of Blackberry Phones by walcolm(m): 2:50am On Oct 16, 2013
psalmdave: and they still remain the only pingers

Yeah right...thats why all you android and iPhone users are breaking your heads to get BBM on your platform
Re: Ways To Prepare For The Death Of Blackberry Phones by Genuflect(m): 4:00pm On Oct 26, 2013
walcolm:

You should try the z10
Naaah. I'm ok with my Curve 7. BB is too slow for my liking. The Z10 is still gonna end up being slow and laggy. So why dispense all that cash on that? I'm a geek so I use an S4. My BB is only for browsing and shi
walcolm:

Yeah right...thats why all you android and iPhone users are breaking your heads to get BBM on your platform
Lol. The BBM is arguably the best chatting app so it's only right andy and iPhone users rush to it. I don't really fancy bbm tho. I'm not much of a chatter
Re: Ways To Prepare For The Death Of Blackberry Phones by walcolm(m): 7:05pm On Oct 26, 2013
Genuflect:
Naaah. I'm ok with my Curve 7. BB is too slow for my liking. The Z10 is still gonna end up being slow and laggy. So why dispense all that cash on that? I'm a geek so I use an S4. My BB is only for browsing and shi

If you're a geek, you won't make the assumption that the BlackBerry 10 will be slow. You would check them out

I use a gs3 and a BlackBerry z10. You're not the only geek around
Re: Ways To Prepare For The Death Of Blackberry Phones by Genuflect(m): 11:39am On Oct 27, 2013
walcolm:

If you're a geek, you won't make the assumption that the BlackBerry 10 will be slow. You would check them out

I use a gs3 and a BlackBerry z10. You're not the only geek around
It's not an assumption. I've seen the z10 and I know a few owners. It's not for geeks. Is it the app store we want to talk abt? Or the fact that it's not that user friendly? It's functionality is not up to par and I still hate that it takes long just to boot. I don't take my bb serious. It's just for the net. Finish
Re: Ways To Prepare For The Death Of Blackberry Phones by walcolm(m): 4:19pm On Oct 27, 2013
Genuflect:
It's not an assumption. I've seen the z10 and I know a few owners. It's not for geeks. Is it the app store we want to talk abt? Or the fact that it's not that user friendly? It's functionality is not up to par and I still hate that it takes long just to boot. I don't take my bb serious. It's just for the net. Finish

You clearly don't know what you are talking about. That you see it from a distance doesn't mean you know anything about it. I know lots of people who use BlackBerry 10 devices and less than 10% are geeky.

What about thé app store ? What happened to it ? Almost 300k apps in less than a year of launching the OS and you're here making noise. Apple and android had less than 10k apps one year after they were launched
Re: Ways To Prepare For The Death Of Blackberry Phones by Genuflect(m): 8:33pm On Oct 28, 2013
walcolm:

You clearly don't know what you are talking about. That you see it from a distance doesn't mean you know anything about it. I know lots of people who use BlackBerry 10 devices and less than 10% are geeky.

What about thé app store ? What happened to it ? Almost 300k apps in less than a year of launching the OS and you're here making noise. Apple and android had less than 10k apps one year after they were launched
Uhn? Seen it from a distance The fudge. I've seen what it can do. I've operated it and I've seen its prowess. How can you even compare BB10's appstore to that of iOS and Andy?? Are u ok? Andy is open source. Cool apps popping up everyday. iOs still holds the title tho. And you dare to mention BB when we're talking apps? I doubt u're a geek. Geeks don't use BB. You said it yourself, less than 10% of those using it are geeks. Most Z10 are even try to port Google Play Store on their BB. Guy use your Z10 but don't compare it to the greats
Re: Ways To Prepare For The Death Of Blackberry Phones by walcolm(m): 6:20am On Oct 29, 2013
Genuflect:
Uhn? Seen it from a distance The fudge. I've seen what it can do. I've operated it and I've seen its prowess. How can you even compare BB10's appstore to that of iOS and Andy?? Are u ok? Andy is open source. Cool apps popping up everyday. iOs still holds the title tho. And you dare to mention BB when we're talking apps? I doubt u're a geek. Geeks don't use BB. You said it yourself, less than 10% of those using it are geeks. Most Z10 are even try to port Google Play Store on their BB. Guy use your Z10 but don't compare it to the greats

loooolllll...you're totally obtuse....75% of all the apps available on Google play now work on BB10 devices...BB10 is the only OS that can boost of being able to do that. if you add that to the 300k apps available for BB10 only....how far behind is BB10 in terms of apps?

on BB10 being used by people who are non-geeks, that was to counter your mumu argument about the OS being un-user friendly....

you have only seen BB10 devices from a distance and you don't know sh1t about them...you don't know jack about how they work and what they can do...so hold on to your android and stop blabbing about what you don't know
Re: Ways To Prepare For The Death Of Blackberry Phones by Youngpo413: 6:42am On Oct 29, 2013
Uselesssss thread,useless argument here and there,nonsens.e

3 Likes

Re: Ways To Prepare For The Death Of Blackberry Phones by Genuflect(m): 8:38pm On Oct 29, 2013
walcolm:

loooolllll...you're totally obtuse....75% of all the apps available on Google play now work on BB10 devices...BB10 is the only OS that can boost of being able to do that. if you add that to the 300k apps available for BB10 only....how far behind is BB10 in terms of apps?

on BB10 being used by people who are non-geeks, that was to counter your mumu argument about the OS being un-user friendly....

you have only seen BB10 devices from a distance and you don't know sh1t about them...you don't know jack about how they work and what they can do...so hold on to your android and stop blabbing about what you don't know
Duhh why would I buy BB10 only to come and port Android Apps. Naahhh we don't get down like that. The BB10 devices are what evn caused the demise of the Blackberry company. It's a cheap imitation of the iPhone, it just can't measure up. I don hear, since you know me very well and know that I don't know jack about the Z10. Dey there dey jonz. And of course I'll hold on to my android. Better to use the best than the third best
Re: Ways To Prepare For The Death Of Blackberry Phones by Nobody: 10:37pm On Oct 29, 2013
And I was thinking of getting a bb z10.
Btw guys, you can get a US number for calls and sms at http:// www.usacallsms.com
Re: Ways To Prepare For The Death Of Blackberry Phones by tundeg82: 3:48pm On Oct 30, 2013
hi, guys i have been following nairaland and would like to say you guys are doing an awesome job...if you want a phone with best of both worlds why not get the z10 or rather os10 from blackberry....bb os10 runs android apps nicely and you still have the functionality of the bb as a business tool.its an option anyway..and u dont have to be a geek to use it...

(1) (Reply)

Please Help: How Can I Change My Phone Number On 2go. / How To Completely Opt Out Of The Airtel 2G Data Plan / WIN ITEL SMARTPHONES And RECHARGE CARDS IN ‘LIGHT THE it1556 PHONE’ PROMO

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.