Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,554 members, 7,819,963 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 07:38 AM

Power Generation Drops To 900mw - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Power Generation Drops To 900mw (787 Views)

Dark Days Ahead: As Power Generation Drops To 2,841MW / Power Generation Drops By 1,100mw As Egbin Workers’ Crisis Persist / Power Generation Drops By 1,000MW Due To Gas Pipeline Vandalism (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Power Generation Drops To 900mw by dave07(m): 10:08am On Jul 03, 2008
Power supply has declined drastically across the country; with overall power generation capacity hovering around 900 mega watts for the whole country.

At peak performance, the Power Holding Company of Nigeria generates about 3,000MW, which is grossly inadequate and results in constant outages.

However, the general poor state of power supply deteriorated in the past one week with some parts of Lagos said to have gone without power supply for up to five consecutive days.

Abuja has also been badly affected, with power supply to parts of the city now at its lowest levels in years.

A blackout at the Murtala Mohammed Airport, Lagos on Tuesday disrupted flight operations for several hours.

A source in the Power Holding Company of Nigeria who spoke with one of our correspondents in Abuja confirmed that total power generation on Monday by the utility company had declined below 900 mega watts.

According to the source who preferred anonymity, “Only few states have power right now because if all states are to share from the current supply, the system will collapse.”

Our correspondent gathered that the situation was compounded by the fact that AES, the privately owned thermal power company located in Lagos was out of operation.

He said, “AES which normally adds 300MW is undergoing turnaround maintenance. So about 300MW is out.”

The source added that the matter was compounded by the fact that the hydro stations, which were expected to have reached their peak performance following the rains, were yet to do so.

Officials of PHCN told our correspondent in May that the hydro stations would reach their peak performance in July and improve the power supply.

The source further stated that the perennial shortage of gas had continued, even though the Federal Government through the Ministry of Energy had continually claimed that it was addressing it through the Gas Supply Obligations, which it gave to the major oil companies operating in the country.

When our correspondent tried to contact senior officials of the power sector to explain the crisis, they refused to pick their calls and did not reply text messages sent to their phones
source: The Punch Newspaper, Thursday July 3rd 2008.
Re: Power Generation Drops To 900mw by landis(m): 10:15am On Jul 03, 2008
900MW for a population of 150mill people

same country that wants to be 20best economy in 2020??

And Nigerians are not on the street chasing, mobbing all these inept 'rulers'??

Looks like a dead country to me.
grin cheesy grin
Re: Power Generation Drops To 900mw by jaybee3(m): 10:19am On Jul 03, 2008
landis:

landis link=topic=147664.msg2454293#msg2454293 date=1215076516:

grin cheesy grin

grin cheesy grin

dats certainly the way forward. mass protest. never ending strikes, threat to cripple the economy for days then maybe, maybe we might start yielding some results
Re: Power Generation Drops To 900mw by Nobody: 10:50am On Jul 03, 2008
Nigeria is definately moving very fast to where she belongs; "the stone age"
Re: Power Generation Drops To 900mw by izeek(m): 12:58pm On Jul 03, 2008
i haven;t seen anyone o u with a more brilliant idea,
nah to curse up and down una sabi,
proffer a solution and if its not implemented then hala tire, afterall nah me and u be NAIJA.
Re: Power Generation Drops To 900mw by dblock(m): 1:17pm On Jul 03, 2008
We know the solution.

It's up to the leaders to implement it.

Pray for Yar'Adua and the rest of the Government to get a brain, and You will get your power
Re: Power Generation Drops To 900mw by landis(m): 1:28pm On Jul 03, 2008
dblock:

Pray for Yar'Adua and the rest of the Government to get a brain, and You will get your power

common on, you can do better than that.

we both know, it has nothing to do with prayer.

It has to do loving your people as you love yourself.

We simply hate ourselves as NIGERIANS.

We define our happiness when we see other Nigerian suffering. Nothing else!
Re: Power Generation Drops To 900mw by BigB11(m): 1:35pm On Jul 03, 2008
We, Nigerians define our happiness when we see other Nigerian suffering. Nothing else!

When it comes to analysing the true state of mind of most Nigerians, this is the most profound statement so far on this forum.
Re: Power Generation Drops To 900mw by dblock(m): 2:02pm On Jul 03, 2008
Yeah but then how are things going to change, Landis

Humans don't change too easily
Re: Power Generation Drops To 900mw by dblock(m): 2:14pm On Jul 03, 2008
Big B1:

When it comes to analysing the true state of mind of most Nigerians, this is the most profound statement so far on this forum.

That's Quite true, my dad once told me how Nigerians unlike other Africans are hesitant to elevate qualified Nigerians to positions like other Africans do.

The problem of corruption which has become somewhat inherent in our society is as a direct result of people not actually having a problem with the state of the country but with their individual standard of living.

However how do we change this general mind frame, one way is by isolating issues that plague our society from religion, and using religion to our advantage rather than to our demise as it as become in recent times.
Re: Power Generation Drops To 900mw by SkyBlue1: 2:25pm On Jul 03, 2008
Yaradua made a fuss about how the reason for the delay on implementations in the power sector being carried out was because he was awaiting a report. The report is in and it has been a couple of weeks now. So what is the plan now? Please any talk of vision 2020 should be relegated to the joke section of Nairaland for the time being.
Re: Power Generation Drops To 900mw by blacksta(m): 2:40pm On Jul 03, 2008
I thank my God that  i am out of this country Maybe God has forsaken Country - massive corruption on a whole even its citizens are guilty.  Please tell how a country can can change when the citizens are equally as corrupt as their leaders. One vicous circle of going nowhere.  

Facts

1. One plant ( called the Logannet power station) out of many in the UK generates at full capacity 2400 mw of electricity more than the combined generation of Nigeria.  

2. 15% of electricity of the UK comes from a renewable source ( wind, solar) sooner or later they would not need your oil and gas anymore -

I can guarantee you that by the year 2020 we will still be darkness  all long as you keep recycling those so called self centered, clueless leaders.

A country where so called legislators are also contractors  think about it.  

I have never seen a country where people are so comfortable with abnormalities -  come on people!!!!!!!!  year 2008 we can't even generate electricity when other nations are moving forward.  very primitive
Re: Power Generation Drops To 900mw by BigB11(m): 3:01pm On Jul 03, 2008
However how do we change this general mind frame, one way is by isolating issues that plague our society from religion, and using religion to our advantage rather than to our demise as it as become in recent times.

My man, do not let us continue to deceive one another; the solution to our problem is very simple.

Modify our constitution; starting from Oct 30, 2008, allow any convicted corrupt individual to be publicly executed at his or her home town.
After executing 2 or 3 people, I promise you that corruption will be immediately eradicated. (Nigerians do not like to die)
This is the only solution that will clearly and quickly deliver the birth of new Nigeria.

Anything else, will be absolute waste of time, waste of money and the continuation of original sufferings of the citizens in Nigeria. And I also guarantee everybody that in 20 years' time Nigerians will still be in the darkness and we will all still be talking about restoring things back to normal.

Trust me!
Re: Power Generation Drops To 900mw by BigB11(m): 3:17pm On Jul 03, 2008
That's Quite true, my dad once told me how Nigerians unlike other Africans are hesitant to elevate qualified Nigerians to positions like other Africans do.

I'm sorry, this information is absolutely incorrect.
You go and double check again and I promise you that it wouldn't take you too long to discover that the Qualified Nigerian Professionals are the worst group of people in Nigeria today.

No need to look for cheap excuses, we've tried this style for many years with zero accomplishment.
It is time to come out clean and realize that Nigerians in general (all classes, all ages, all tribes and all levels) are directly responsible for the rapid disintegration of this country.

I will not list examples at this point.
Re: Power Generation Drops To 900mw by BigB11(m): 3:37pm On Jul 03, 2008
We, Nigerians define our happiness when we see other Nigerian suffering. Nothing else!

This is why we tend to quickly judge one another
This is why we tend to compare all our phantom accomplishments to others
This is why we do not trust one another
This is why we tend to reduce the number of our Nigerian friends
This is why we see more 419 scams in our society
And this is the main reason why corruption is still living healthy and pretty much very vibrant in our society today.

Our mighty materialistic culture needs to be revisited and revamped; it is clearly killing our people and our country.
Re: Power Generation Drops To 900mw by abdurrazaq(m): 5:00pm On Jul 03, 2008
landis:

We define our happiness when we see other Nigerian suffering. Nothing else!
This is because we have stop seeing ourselves as ONE (may be we never accepted ourselves as one) and EQUAL. Hausa/Igbo/Yoruba/Ibibio/Tiv and others will always be happy to prove superiority over each other
Re: Power Generation Drops To 900mw by dave07(m): 5:33pm On Jul 03, 2008
I thank my God that i am out of this Maybe God forsaken Country - massive corruption on a whole even its citizens are guilty. Please tell how a country can can change when the citizens are equally as corrupt as their leader. One vicous circle of going nowhere.

Facts

1. One plant ( called the Logannet power station) out of many in the UK generates at full capacity 2400 mw of electricity more than the combined generation of Nigeria.

2. 15% of electricity of the UK comes from a renewable source ( wind, solar) sooner or later they would not need your oil and gas anymore -

I can guarantee you that by the year 2020 we will still be darkness all long as you keep recycling those so called self centered, clueless leaders.

I can guarantee you that God has not forsaken the land and thank God for those of us still there and by His grace we will surely sing at last.
we are in a very trying period in the nation and surely we would come out of it. The same God who did not allow Abacha to finsh us all before taking him away and who also recently delivered a state from the control of the 'garrison commander' will definitely make a way for us.
HOW DID WE GET HERE?
Loss of a sense of value, break down of law and order culminating in high and un paid bills, vandalization, lack of visionary leaders, energy wastages, corruption, etc.
i believe we have flogged and even overflogged this issues on nairaland, what we have all failed to do so far is to engage in result-oriented discussion that someone out there can build on and use as a workbench to achieve something for us.
the leadership evolved from us, they are nigerians too. majority today would do worse if entrusted with power!
but let the re-orientation start with the people, let's redefine values, let's come to understand that the glories of the developed nations today are precipitated on the sweat and suffering of past heros.
Re: Power Generation Drops To 900mw by dave07(m): 5:47pm On Jul 03, 2008
what do we have?
lots of young and aspiring intellectuals, with enough potentials to take on the world.
myriads of elect/elect craftmen, technicians, technologists and engineers who also possess the abilities of the asians to turn around any economy.
plenty of resources, abundant solar, coal and gas which is presently being flared off in the niger delta.
scrap metals which look so useless to us but indians and other asians have been converting to exportable steel and material under our nose,
Iam sure we can do a lot!

(1) (Reply)

Current Proceedings In Zimbabwe / Dead Corps Member Found In Oba’s Shrine / 100 Nigerian Immigrats Die Off Spanish Coast.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.