Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,929 members, 7,835,105 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 04:27 AM

This Uk Sef - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / This Uk Sef (3797 Views)

Desperate To Travel? Watch This (uk Border Force) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

This Uk Sef by 8ball(m): 11:16am On Jul 03, 2008
I have had cause to read a lot of informative reviews from this forum and have come to understand that the UK isn't as nice as so many people would put it,the killings in London,the massive emmigration levels,high cost of living in the genera etc etc .It surprises me yet that a lot of naija guys n babes still make this place their number destination in the quest for the proverbial golden fleece,Wouldn't know why sha

Funky baby,Pataki,SeanT21, having been closing in on your posts for quite awhile now and being impressed with them all.I need your opinion on his pertinent issue to informatively address what is gradually degenerating to a UK craze in naija

ONE LOVE
Re: This Uk Sef by ty4real(m): 10:32pm On Jul 03, 2008
8ball:

I have had cause to read a lot of informative reviews from this forum and have come to understand that the UK isn't as nice as so many people would put it,the killings in London,the massive emmigration levels,high cost of living in the genera etc etc .It surprises me yet that a lot of naija guys n babes still make this place their number destination in the quest for the proverbial golden fleece,Wouldn't know why sha

Funky baby,Pataki,SeanT21, having been closing in on your posts for quite awhile now and being impressed with them all.I need your opinion on his pertinent issue to informatively address what is gradually degenerating to a UK craze in naija

ONE LOVE

That is because owo iya Charly is still in vogue and well coveted and until the money finally crashes,expect more people to keep desiring to come into the UK grin grin grin(just my opinion sha)
Re: This Uk Sef by Akolawole(m): 10:57am On Jul 04, 2008
It has nothing to do with the strenght of the currency.

I think its because of "home-away-from-home". As at 1999, over 1 million Nigerians live in UK.

And with just 6 hours flight, it was even closer to home than South africa.
Re: This Uk Sef by landis(m): 11:41am On Jul 04, 2008
well I dont like UK and I cant live there.

Last time, the train broke down in tunnel between Liverpool and mile-end.

It was hot, 99 standing 45 sitting. It was a hell. I remembered Molue and I said atleast that drives on the surface.

I went to see some friends in Dangeham, the rooms were damn too small, the house not better than Isale Eko.

One thing that could be done is for our 'press/people' also show the terrible side and people we run away.

The roads in Malaysia is better than roads in UK.
Re: This Uk Sef by mellow(m): 11:49am On Jul 04, 2008
Seconded
Re: This Uk Sef by funkybaby(f): 12:02pm On Jul 04, 2008
landis:

well I don't like UK and I can't live there.

Last time, the train broke down in tunnel between Liverpool and mile-end.

It was hot, 99 standing 45 sitting. It was a hell. I remembered Molue and I said atleast that drives on the surface.

I went to see some friends in Dangeham, the rooms were damn too small, the house not better than Isale Eko.

One thing that could be done is for our 'press/people' also show the terrible side and people we run away.

The roads in Malaysia is better than roads in UK.

@landis
Lol. You sef. grin Its not that 'bad bad'. Every city has its good and bad parts. So you didnt see anything good about UK?

@8ball
I think the value of the pounds sterling is a major factor although some people do not want to accept this. I had this arguement with my cousins a while back and they told me to sharrrapp. That the tax deducted from individual earnings and the 'difficulty' in 'earning' the pounds kind of rubbishes its high exchange value to the naira.

Another thing is maybe parental/family influence. For example, if a respected uncle made it 'big' in uk, thanks to good career choice, british degree, etc, it is only normal for parents to encourage their kids to study in UK as well.

Lets face it, there's 'prestige' attached to acquiring a british degree. Especially in a country like Nigeria where most employers are 'degree crazy'.
Re: This Uk Sef by EloSela(f): 2:15pm On Jul 04, 2008
Akolawole:

I think its because of "home-away-from-home". As at 1999, over 1 million Nigerians live in UK.

I think that there are less than half a million Nigerian born individuals in the UK and most of them are in London. Where are you getting your figures from?
Re: This Uk Sef by landis(m): 2:34pm On Jul 04, 2008
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/shared/spl/hi/uk/05/born_abroad/countries/html/nigeria.stm

I think the value of the pounds sterling is a major factor although some people do not want to accept this. I had this arguement with my cousins a while back and they told me to sharrrapp. That the tax deducted from individual earnings and the 'difficulty' in 'earning' the pounds kind of rubbishes its high exchange value to the naira.

with high tax rate of about 38% for those at high-end income, there could be nothing left end of the month.

The key reasons why it remains popular is because of 'colonial ties' + possibilities of 'fast-deal'

But if you earn N400,000 per month in Nigeria, then it's better than £2500 per month in UK
Re: This Uk Sef by Busybody2(f): 2:59pm On Jul 04, 2008
Akolawole:

. . . As at 1999, over 1 million Nigerians live in UK.

EloSela:

I think that there are less than half a million Nigerian born individuals in the UK and most of them are in London. Where are you getting your figures from?

Wow, thinkingguessing games in session.

Can I play? Please, please, please, thanks, okay, here goes;

I think that there are less than 25,000 Nigerian born individuals in the UK and the most of them are in London. Where are you getting your figures from too? tongue

Next player

See, I told you I have grown up, Aunty Elo. tongue wink
Re: This Uk Sef by ayomifull(f): 3:22pm On Jul 04, 2008
I think some people want to go to UK or any other country for that matter for various reasons depending on individual circumstances. A completely hopeless person in Nigeria wants to jet out just to make ends meet, some wants the quality of life obtainable there (now dont ask me if its available or not), some got tired of living in Nigeria, some wants to obtain overseas degree, some wants to make money and considers abroad a place where its freely given, some just want to live abroad for the sake of it
Re: This Uk Sef by EloSela(f): 6:23pm On Jul 04, 2008
https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/geos/uk.html

The CIA fact book states that the UK has a population of just under 61 million and black people make up just 2%.

2% of 61 mill is a measly 1.2 million black people in the UK made up of those of Caribbean origin or born in the Caribbean and other Africans born in the UK or in Africa.

According to the UK 2001 census there were 485,277 Africans in the UK and 565,876 of Caribbean origin. In fact, according to the BBC, the largest number of Africans born in Africa and currently residing in the UK are Kenyans, not Nigerians.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/shared/spl/hi/uk/05/born_abroad/countries/html/overview.stm

I don't know why Nigerians are attracted to the UK as the climate is not for them, that plus the £ is declining sharply. I think Nigerians looking to progress outside their countries should look to America as there are loads more opportunities to be had there plus the road to success is easier.
Re: This Uk Sef by 8ball(m): 7:28pm On Jul 04, 2008
@ Funky baby

If it was aptness,u just said what it is exactly that is the major attraction to the UK.however,how do we explain our starry eyed bravas and sisters ova here that it ain't so easy to make it there in the UK .That majority of naija guys there really wanna come back to the country and pursue meaningful living

In any case,like u guys succintly put it,every city and indeed country has it's good and bad sides.Intending travellers should carefully consider all these before jetting out to avoid making the mistake of a life time

ONE LOVE,
Re: This Uk Sef by ty4real(m): 11:05pm On Jul 04, 2008
Akolawole:

Your Opinion! grin grin grin grin grin!Owo Iya Charly ni se just my own opinion again grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: This Uk Sef by deor03(m): 12:01am On Jul 05, 2008
With £6/ hour and HEAVY BILLS ,.,.owo iya charley doesn't come that easily
Re: This Uk Sef by lucabrasi(m): 5:33pm On Jul 05, 2008
people mainly make the united kingdom their destination because its english speaking and also compared to the united states its easier to obtain the visas, also its only 6 hours and has a large number of nigerians,nigerian restaurant,market e.t.c so u know its almost like being home, as for the number of nigerians in the uk,i dont see anything near accurate on here yet so i wont even comment people trying to come to uk are not doing anything wrong as migration has been going on since the 1960s the only thing is that i think potential travellers should know the reality of things in the uk and know what to expect
Re: This Uk Sef by Busybody2(f): 10:29am On Jul 06, 2008
EloSela:

https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/geos/uk.html

The CIA fact book states that the UK has a population of just under 61 million and black people make up just 2%.

2% of 61 mill is a measly 1.2 million black people in the UK made up of those of Caribbean origin or born in the Caribbean and other Africans born in the UK or in Africa.

According to the UK 2001 census there were 485,277 Africans in the UK and 565,876 of Caribbean origin. In fact, according to the BBC, the largest number of Africans born in Africa and currently residing in the UK are Kenyans, not Nigerians.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/shared/spl/hi/uk/05/born_abroad/countries/html/overview.stm

I don't know why Nigerians are attracted to the UK as the climate is not for them, that plus the £ is declining sharply. I think Nigerians looking to progress outside their countries should look to America as there are loads more opportunities to be had there plus the road to success is easier.

It is settled then, your imput that Nigerians are under half a million and my imput that Nigerians are only 25,000 are correct then, since Africans population in the UK is just 485,277. This makes only you and I correct, either way.

Okay, game over then, we won on the basis of the census of 2001,not the current one undecided   

Enjoy your short-lived victory till you come back with a current figure from the current census.
Re: This Uk Sef by Cristalz(f): 10:46am On Jul 06, 2008
Most Nigerians in the UK are Yoruba. Whats the attraction,i wonder undecided
Re: This Uk Sef by Busybody2(f): 1:45pm On Jul 06, 2008
Cristalz:

shocked shocked shocked interesting. You Yoruba Yoruba people oya come and testify
Re: This Uk Sef by DisGuy: 2:41pm On Jul 06, 2008
lucabrasi:

people mainly make the united kingdom their destination because its english speaking and also compared to the united states its easier to obtain the visas, also its only 6 hours and has a large number of nigerians,nigerian restaurant,market e.t.c so u know its almost like being home, as for the number of nigerians in the uk,i don't see anything near accurate on here yet so i wont even comment people trying to come to uk are not doing anything wrong as migration has been going on since the 1960s the only thing is that i think potential travellers should know the reality of things in the uk and know what to expect

i think most of them refuse to take it on board or as the Nigerians we are, we believe if you are not rushing back home then there must be 'something' there!

Cristalz:

another guess, can i play? Most Nigerians in the UK are southerners cheesy
Re: This Uk Sef by lucabrasi(m): 4:36pm On Jul 06, 2008
Dis Guy:

i think most of them refuse to take it on board or as the Nigerians we are, we believe if you are not rushing back home then there must be 'something' there!

if you ask me i think its our own fault,when people ask me what its like i tell them straight up and then pray for them or curse whicever way they want to see it that by the special grace of GOD,they will collect at worse 1 week visa even 3 days to see things for themselves and then self judge grin
nigerians will save the whole year just to oppress people for 2 weeks,without any charity work or anything meaningful
Re: This Uk Sef by femigirl(f): 5:08pm On Jul 06, 2008
London,is  hard  work.

I  remember years  ago someone  said  to me  if  you  can make  it  in  London, you can make it  anywere.

The  advantages of London  are as  follows, 
It is  very  diversity lot of  people  from  different  walks of  life.
You  have Peckham,Dalston, Brixton which create a  sense  of  community.

Calling  cards-cheap international cards what  would  nigerians  do  with out  corba, nigeria tel, unity
You have the NHS,  don't knock  when I lived  in the  US that  when I apperiate  it.
The  government helps  you  out  when you  fall on  hard times.
You can fly  to  anywere in  the  world from London
Free  transports  for  the  under  18 and  over  65
Free schooling
Opportunities  are  there  for  everyone  to  take

Disadvantages,

High  cost  of  living-  house price  to buy  and  rent  sky  high
Transport  cost- they are  having  a  laugh
London life is  destorying  famlies,parents are  overworked.
Petrol  cost is  high
We  are not in our  motherland
Gun crime  is  on the  up

Nigerian  in UK needs  to stop  showing  Nigerians  at  home  that  it  easy because let  face it, it  is not.There  a credit  crunch on.
Re: This Uk Sef by DisGuy: 6:28pm On Jul 06, 2008
Nigerian in UK needs to stop showing Nigerians at home that it easy because let face it, it not.There a credit crunch on.

All over this site I haven't seen anyone specifically saying/showing it's easy to live in the UK or anywhere else,

lucabrasi:

if you ask me i think its our own fault,when people ask me what its like i tell them straight up and then pray for them or curse whicever way they want to see it that by the special grace of GOD,they will collect at worse 1 week visa even 3 days to see things for themselves and then self judge grin
nigerians will save the whole year just to oppress people for 2 weeks,without any charity work or anything meaningful

some people wont know until they experience it so whatever you tell them is just part of the whole equation
people don't really praise the UK out of proportion
Re: This Uk Sef by DisGuy: 6:30pm On Jul 06, 2008
Even with all the negative threads about UK, how many threads do you read
about people abandoning their visa applications?
Re: This Uk Sef by manmustwac(m): 6:55pm On Jul 06, 2008
i think the reason why most people say that England is not easy is because a lot of people here are doing menial jobs to survive. Jobs which only pay like 5.52p to 8.00 an hour like cleaning, security, working in Mac Donalds, Tesco's Labouring work etc

Then to add to that u need to pay your house rent, charge the light, feeding expenses, and probably send money back home
Re: This Uk Sef by femigirl(f): 8:51pm On Jul 06, 2008
manmustwac

Let  start off  by  saying  what  are  you talking about. What  has  the  job  you do  got  to do  with anything. Even the Queen is  feeling  the pressure  of  the  credit  crunch.

I  tell you straight, I  was  born  in the UK(lived  and  work in Nigeria, USA and  other  Europe counties) and  I  have a  very good job in top FTSE  company. I  work  hard and  I  have  been  bless  by God.  I  no get problem of visa.

I have  seen a difference in London over the  last 15 years and  trust me my friend  it getting worse.

People are still  coming  to UK  in there  thousands and  I wish them luck.  Let  them come,  it  good.  My dad  help so many  people  (family and  friends ) come to the UK. The  reason  he  use  to do this was  he  said  let  them come and work and help there  own  family. After all his name is not  Bank of  England. When  you  send  money  to people,they rely on you too much.
Re: This Uk Sef by lucabrasi(m): 9:41pm On Jul 06, 2008
Dis Guy:

All over this site I haven't seen anyone specifically saying/showing it's easy to live in the UK or anywhere else,

some people wont know until they experience it so whatever you tell them is just part of the whole equation
people don't really praise the UK out of proportion
yes but my own emphasis is on when most londoners get back to nigeria,they dont tell the truth,whats the point of working yourself to near death to buy clothes and shoes for like ten people?or make it an obligation to spend thousands everyday on alcohol when you know you r coming back to suffer for it?
i know boys who live in a shared flat and drive bangers here and have audi tt,mercedes benz e.t.c in lagos,and no other investment also most people are fond of showing they v arrived rather than telling it as it is,why dyu think people will work all hours,save as much as possible or get involved in all sorts of scams just to go to nigeria for 3 weeks,paint the town red and then back to balancing up again
Re: This Uk Sef by TOH(f): 9:53pm On Jul 06, 2008
Free transports for the under 18 and over 65
Free schooling

Re: This Uk Sef by DisGuy: 10:28pm On Jul 06, 2008
lucabrasi:

yes but my own emphasis is on when[b] most londoners get back to nigeria,[/b]they don't tell the truth,whats the point of working yourself to near death to buy clothes and shoes for like ten people?or make it an obligation to spend thousands everyday on alcohol when you know you r coming back to suffer for it?
i know boys who live in a shared flat and drive bangers here and have audi tt,mercedes benz e.t.c in lagos,and no other investment also most people are fond of showing they v arrived rather than telling it as it is,why dyu think people will work all hours,save as much as possible or get involved in all sorts of scams just to go to nigeria for 3 weeks,paint the town red and then back to balancing up again

I don't believe you! how exactly do you know what most Londoners do when they go on HOLIDAY, people usually spend more than necessary when they are on holidays anyway, you don't exactly gather everyone around and tell them you are a student doing part-time work do you?

I know of illegal/legal immigrants working their butt off, living in shared flats here who own houses in nigeria sending their kids to private universities, are they also showing off?

I understand some people do scams run to nigeria to blow their money but they are also thousands working legitimately, saving for their HOLIDAY in nigeria, its good for the economy right?
Re: This Uk Sef by EloSela(f): 10:38pm On Jul 06, 2008
Busy_body:

Enjoy your short-lived victory till you come back with a current figure from the current census.

The 2001 UK census is the current/latest one Thicko! grin
Re: This Uk Sef by dudu19(m): 11:12pm On Jul 06, 2008
I wonder why the topic about UK? why not the US. Does anyone know any country around the whole world where u can say life is very easy? There are always adv and disadvantages about western countries, even the united states is at its worst at the moment, no thanks to the credit crunch with their economy experiencing high unemployment rates in years, families unable to meet up with their mortgage repayments, loads of financial organisation ve gone bankrupt and minimum wage is under $8 an hour an equivalent of £4 an hr cry cry so what the fuss aquiring a visa to a western world does not guarantee your success when you reach, so what s all the crap about this topic. Am sure if we nigerians can make our motherland a better place to live, there wont be any cause for this topics. Anyway sha, I would rather live in a single bedroom and at least enjoy the basic amenities than living in my daddy's mansion and everybody around me is suffering and smiling. cry grin
Re: This Uk Sef by TOH(f): 11:30pm On Jul 06, 2008
If you made a topic about the US, I am wiling to bet you wont find people screaming on her behalf because frankly we don't care.

Too many UK fiends around here however. They actually take criticism, constructive or not against the UK so much to heart, you'd think you were bahsing their family

Btw $8/hr stretches more than 6 pounds/hr
Re: This Uk Sef by dudu19(m): 11:56pm On Jul 06, 2008
@TOH did u read ma post properly, well i supposse u live in the US and i was only siting examples, life is not always what we people think it is. I do ve lots of american friends outside this forum and am not tryin to get at anybodys family. I'm aware that living in the uk is very expensive but there are so many other benefits ordinary residents enjoy that not many of the other so called western world can offer. Am a typical nigerian and i do believe we can make our country a better place.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

President Jonathan Applies For 2014 Us Visa Lottery / Tourism Potential Of Cross River State Of Nigeria / Can Anyone Here Get Me Mongolia Invitation Letter ?urgently

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.