Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,409 members, 7,861,153 topics. Date: Saturday, 15 June 2024 at 03:53 AM

An Open Letter-Why Bribe? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / An Open Letter-Why Bribe? (888 Views)

OPEN LETTER: Why I Don’t Trust Jonathan – El-rufai / REVEALED: Jonathan, PDP Embark On Election Extension Campaign, Bribe TV Stations / See You In 2019: An Open Letter By A Pained Woman To Buhari - Sahara Reporters (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

An Open Letter-Why Bribe? by Ericomoto(m): 11:16am On Oct 14, 2013
WHY BRIBE?

Why bribe? This question is almost rheotorical, to a people and a country like mine (Nigeria) where the word “Bribe” is almost what puts food on some peoples table. Ask a Policeman, a Business man, a Lecturer, a Politician, a Student, a Lawyer, a Doctor, large and small scale companies, government and private establishments; even a clergyman and the church you will get almost the same chorused response as “Why not bribe”. It is almost a way of life to get or achieve your desire timeously without following the normal process by going through the back doors.

Our present decadent society is so engulfed with this heinous act that it has almost become an instinctive part of us, it goes by different names: Settlement, Family support, See me, Egunje, Tips etc. All these localized and stylized names show how accepted and almost cultural the act has been. Corruption is not all about bribery alone but bribery is a very significant part of corruption; simply put the bedrock of it. I said that because a people who appreciate a token gift so much and can sacrifice their integrity for it will end up becoming a corrupt people and nation. What I usually ask myself is; do we actually or basically have justifications for taking bribes? I quickly learnt from different categories of people that the economic situation of the country, unemployment and poverty are the acclaimed basis for extortion and giving of bribes. The giver employs the psychological fact that the taker will not be able to resist the offer probably because the taker sees it as a way to enhance making ends meet. But, what baffles me is that even the high and the mighty, the rich and wealthy whom we might think are well to do still get themselves involved in this act no matter how small the offer. Oliver Twist always asks for more because our wants are insatiable. This almost made me to conclude that the problem is psychological and cultural because our society is so much materialistic and we can sacrifice anything to amass stinking wealth anyhow.

The main reason why people offer or give bribes is to gain that undue advantage and the reason why people extort or take bribe is for personal gratification, an inordinate ambition to get undue enrichment. For instance, motorists offer bribes to police officers to avoid delays at checkpoints because of loopholes in his driving or vehicle documents while the police officers claims his monthly take home salary cannot take him home. Students offer “settlements” in the forms of material thing or even sex from female ones to their unscrupulous lecturers who have forgotten that they are to instill not only academic excellence but also moral excellence of which the larger society expects a feedback. What about the shady politicians, who offer a token amount for the electorate to sell their proverbial birthrights in their votes. All these to mention but a few happens everywhere cutting across all classes, ages, status, establishments etc. The other day, I was at PHCN, the electricity supply company to complain about the unreasonable estimated bills being issued to me after the fact that nobody even stays in my flat as I am always on the road to labour for my daily bread. I was made to understand that I have to grease somebody palm before it can be done. I had to threaten to petition the company and go to court before they could take me serious. This is one out of thousands of cases; I could have given in to the demand to save time but pay more off record to get things done.

As a nation, we stand to lose so much rather than gain anything from bribery and corruption; our integrity is punctured, our international image is dented and our identity as a nation is reduced and ridiculed. This act if not well managed becomes our culture and a tradition that is passed down to our generation unborn because right now some of us are born into it and living with it and God forbid we pass it down to our offspring then we are done for. This phenomenon is telling on us as nobody wants to do things the right way anymore. Our youths are now lazy and unready to work hard, they believe that money can do everything; they engage in exams malpractices, cheating, waywardness etc and when bribery to gain their desire fails, they take succor in hooliganisms, gangsterism, alcoholism, robbery and other fraudulent practices.

Bribery is immensely negative and illegal! Can it be avoided? Can it be eradicated or at least reduced to its barest minimum? My answer is yes, there is hope for eradication of bribery and extortions. Firstly, the government must set up a very potent and active legislation to stamp out bribery by not dealing with offender with kids gloves and no sacred cows to the laws, set up a watch dog policies where giver can report an extortionist and vice versa. Further more, the government must intensify efforts at improving the general well being of its citizenry because a hungry man is an angry man, if the economy of the country is better, little token will not appeal to people to shift their grounds on righteousness. Let there be strong orientations to change our perception concerning issues of bribery over the print and electronic media. Another way out of it is to employ our religious leaders to make it a point of duty to hammer on it because all of us practice at least a religion that is absolutely preaching against bribery, corruption and other vices in the society by principle. Lastly, let us all search our conscience and make a strong resolution to live by example and shun bribery for the betterment of our society. It can be done; oh yes! It can be done.

I dream of a nation where someone will ask that glorious question, Why Bribe? And everyone will equally chorus that there is no need for it. The journey starts from you and me and from right now. We must work harder to make our nation and Africa better.
Re: An Open Letter-Why Bribe? by Omexonomy: 11:21am On Oct 14, 2013
How i wish LASU lecturers with their kokonut head will read this.

1 Like

Re: An Open Letter-Why Bribe? by coolrose(m): 9:27pm On Oct 15, 2013
Nice one bruv. Tell them.

(1) (Reply)

Reasons Why I’m Facing The Wrath Of Jonathan And His Wife – Amaechi / An Open Letter To The I.G Of Police FRN By Victims Of Police Extortion. / Trouble In Goan Paradise As Africans Beaten And Harassed

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.