Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,468 members, 7,816,092 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 04:33 AM

Video Editing Software - Art, Graphics & Video - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Art, Graphics & Video / Video Editing Software (8937 Views)

Video Editors Hangout: Discussing The Best Video Editing Software. / Best Video Editing Software? / Which Editing Software Is Used For Music Video Editing? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Video Editing Software by tishbite(m): 1:29pm On Jun 08, 2006
Hello all,

I use a Video Studio 7 & 8 software to edit by videos, that is because i bought it with my digital camera.
The software is too heavy for the comfort for my system compared to the type of volume of video files i deal with. I imagined that professional video editors here-present will agree with me that these softwares should be light as long as it is not an OS.

I also can not perform certain tasks like animating moving images, switching of pages etc you all know better.

I believe that with the amount of wealth on this forum, someone can tell me which video editting software is best for me, considering a large amount of work i do and the creation of beauty to the work.

I need something that could save enough space even after editing the clip, because the one i use makes the clip so large and it is not upto a 90mins clip and it would not enter a 700MB CD.

I am very sure and convinced that i can get aid from here.

I need someone to get talking.

Thank you.
Re: Video Editing Software by zPixel(m): 11:15pm On Jun 08, 2006
You can go for adobe premeier and adobe aftereffect
Re: Video Editing Software by extraman(m): 6:19am On Jun 11, 2006
I would like to inform you that video editing is not something you do and try to minimize space on your computer, you have to go all out, get larger hard drives and better system.
Re: Video Editing Software by Seye(m): 4:04pm On Jun 11, 2006
Good Talk. I agree 100%
Re: Video Editing Software by diddy4(m): 4:07pm On Jun 11, 2006
you cannot expect to do video editing and still have a lot of space remaining on your hard drive. if its possible, go get a separate pc with very big memory for video editing that way u wont get bothered about your pc running slow and stuff like that. u can even get an external hard drive. i have one with 300gig. u need many programs for video editing and i am sure none of them will take small disc space. they all require very large disc space for u to explore their full potentials.

1 Like

Re: Video Editing Software by kazey(m): 9:09pm On Jun 11, 2006
Hard drive space and video editing has no relatation.

If someone is editing even just one dvd movie, 3GB space is just fine. So I really don't understand what you guys are trying to say.

If you had said physical memory, yes he needs a minimum of 1GB for video editing, and a good processor power, maybe 2.0GHZ upwards, besides a graphic card of minimum 256MB, after that I don't see where 300GB hard-disk come into equation for example smiley
Re: Video Editing Software by extraman(m): 7:45am On Jun 12, 2006
Good talk here about video editing, I was wondering if there are some serious video editors here, especially those that edit for Nollywood.I have my own firm and thing going on, just looking for strong collaborations and all that, Holla at me via extra144@hotmail.com or via here so we can exchange ideas.
Re: Video Editing Software by tishbite(m): 9:26am On Jun 13, 2006
thanks friends,
i a still waiting to knw which video editing software i could use for editting movies. i discovered that adobe priemere or aftereffect does not give enough classic effects needed in a good video performance. i need your thoughts.
Re: Video Editing Software by kazey(m): 5:53pm On Jun 13, 2006
try Virtualdub, I use it to merge some stuffs, it is opensource. http://www.virtualdub.org/,
Also

Avid's free DV editing software: http://www.avid.com/freedv/

and also maybe checkout http://www.jahshaka.org/.

if you want to do some real editing get Adobe Premiere.

1 Like

Re: Video Editing Software by pajimoh(m): 3:07pm On Jun 26, 2006
Dear friends i think you strain yourselves too much using Adobe why cant you try Pinnacle studio 10 plus it is good. you can capture from your camcorder digitally and you know digital files are always smaller than analog and besides digital capture and save your pixels and you will not loose any colour, and while rendering it will also render and give you choises to make of the kind of stream you like to have as an en product. That is what i use in my studio production.
Re: Video Editing Software by kelvin200(m): 1:59pm On Jul 17, 2006
good day every one, i would like to meet someone that will help me through video editing. i am a good script writer but want to put more to my acquired knowledge. i also hope to produce an animated movie someday. please help.
Re: Video Editing Software by Panache(m): 8:07pm On Jul 19, 2006
Hard Drive space is very important. Also I will suggest that you install a firewire card for faster transfer from camcorder to your computer. I recommend Pinnacle Studio Plus version 10.5 Titanium Edition (PC).  Details:

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Pinnacle-Studio-Plus-version-10-5-Titanium-Edition-PC-/sem/rpsm/oid/151023/catOid/-12996/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do
Re: Video Editing Software by Raymand(m): 4:21pm On Jul 20, 2006
I don't think it's a video editing app problem, try changing the file format avi,mpeg etc (don't quite know the lightest) quality may be decreased. And try getting some video compression codecs,

1 Like

Re: Video Editing Software by Raymand(m): 4:29pm On Jul 20, 2006
kelvin200:

good day every one, i would like to meet someone that will help me through video editing. i am a good script writer but want to put more to my acquired knowledge. i also hope to produce an animated movie someday. please help.

I couldn't help reading your post, i think i know a bit about video editing and i have a very powerful video editing software try sending me a clip of your work maybe i could edit it to you taste undecided you can mail me at osmineditor1@hotmail.com
Re: Video Editing Software by TheMaveri: 4:56pm On Jul 20, 2006
Raymand is right. It's not just about how much hard drive/memory space you have, though those are very important to even allow you download and edit. However, when saving the file, or rather exporting your finished edited version, it's up to you to save it in the format you want and the file size you desire. Unfortunately, you can only capture your footage in quality it was shot. It's an average of 3 to 4 minutes of footage per Gigabyte.

If you wanted to put your final edit on a regular CD(not DVD) you can do so by saving the finished file as a VCD format. (In Premiere Pro at least, I'm not sure of other editing software) When you export it as a VCD, it will automatically shrink the file for you. You can also export it as a regular avi, or mpeg etc. Keep in mind that using Windows Moviemaker software(comes standard in most XP versions) you can convert your avi file to wmv, and even set the file size you want it to be. You can look for Sorensen Squeeze also.

My two kobos, hope it helps.

PS:

Tishbite: thanks friends,
i a still waiting to knw which video editing software i could use for editting movies. i discovered that adobe priemere or aftereffect does not give enough classic effects needed in a good video performance. i need your thoughts.

I beg to differ on your statement above. Premiere Pro and Affect Effect are definitively not FCP/Shake or Avid/Combustion, however, they come loaded. It all boils down to who's using them. If you don't know what you're doing, or don't understand how to use them, of course you're not gonna come up with ground breaking editing and special effects. The out of package cookie cutter effects that come standard with them are so cliche and over used anyway. You just need to take time and explore the programs and understand them, then apply your creativity. For instance, I have Lightwav and Maya 7(3D modeling programs) these programs where used in for 90%(Maya) of the effect in the Lord of Ring movies amongst other HOllywood blockbuster. Obviously, they are quite capable of doing great things, however, I don't even know where to start with them. Because I haven't had the time to sit down and learn them doesn't mean they suck, it just means I don't know the programs yet.
Re: Video Editing Software by kheme(m): 5:38pm On Jul 20, 2006
Have you tried Windows Movie Maker?
Re: Video Editing Software by Nobody: 6:34pm On Jul 20, 2006
while not try pinnacle studio its goo, give it a try
Re: Video Editing Software by Christino(m): 7:40pm On Jul 20, 2006
Diddy is right, you need a large hard drive if you really need to work on movies, but as a back up drive. You can store lots of resources and documents you will need, for example you can make 10 different DVDs of a movie and end up choosing one, where do you store each instance? A 30GB will do for your main system. 1GB RAM most definitely, An Athlon 2GHz upwards or a Pentium 2.8 upwards, NVIDIA 256MB 3D Card (VGA)or its equivalent (ATI and co), PINNACLE (sure the best I know), [optionally, get a 60GB Ipod], A good Digicam for DV, Maya and 3D SMAX for effects, Bryce could be good for backgrounds and Poser for some cogent animations. For good sound, get a high grade Sound Card, and dont you forget to get the best monitor available, in short try to get an Apple MAC, you'll enjoy your work.

Video editing needn't cost a fortune. To get a movie workstation, you'll spend lots of money but you can achieve a lot also with a P4 1.8ghz, 512MB, 128MB VGA and 20GB HDD (a desktop so you can install Pinnacle and it's card also).

Plus you need to be imaginative and creative, you can achieve more with little money and be lazy with more money but long hours (or even days) of rendering can make a you a hell of a bore, think with your brain, see with your pocket. The choice is yours. Pinnacle doesn't come cheap anyway.
Re: Video Editing Software by diddy4(m): 9:08pm On Jul 20, 2006
please tell them. imagine someone telling me you dont need a large hard drive. talk of ppl dat dont know what they are doing. if u want the best u need to work for the best.

1 Like

Re: Video Editing Software by Reverend(m): 8:10am On Jul 21, 2006
** CAPTURE YOUR VIDEO UNCOMPRESSED **

You should always choose an uncompressed video format to capture your video to your pc or one with very little compression for edititing. You can always convert your finished file later to a compressed format such as Mpeg2 or Divx (Mpeg4) and this will always ensure the best quality for the final format! For conversion I use Canopus products:-

http://www.canopus.com/home.php

For quality video editing you need a good, fast PC with as much processor power as possible and the maximum allowed RAM and a fast hard drive with plenty of space!

There are no shortcuts, I use an AVID system which is expensive and built for professional broadcasters.

If you are editing as a hobby and do not have lots of $$$$ then the following software:-

Pinnacle Studio 10 - easy to use for novices and has many cool features

Premiere Pro - Professional results, but takes time to learn and understand

DVD-It - for video creation or Tsunami DVD Author for novices

Good luck
Re: Video Editing Software by imomoh24(m): 12:04pm On Jul 21, 2006
I heard somewhere that the filling sysyem of your hard drive does a lot to affect multimedia programs.dont know if its true.but learnt they work better on FAT 16 or 32 filling systems.check it out.And if your system is cloned,when installing windowsXP,it automatically converts the fillings system to NTFS if your hard disk is less than 30gig,unless you choose otherwise.
Alot can go wrong if a program is not properly installed. Just get Adobe Premiere,i've used it and it is easy and fun to work with.
Goodluck
Re: Video Editing Software by belle4u2nv(f): 1:46pm On Jul 21, 2006
go 4 adobe premiere pro 1.5. its it!!!
Re: Video Editing Software by kitaun(m): 9:08pm On Jul 21, 2006
have you tried Nero ?
Re: Video Editing Software by Christino(m): 4:04pm On Jul 27, 2006
Which Nero software?
Re: Video Editing Software by kitaun(m): 8:38pm On Jul 29, 2006
check www.nero.com for details
Re: Video Editing Software by grafikdon: 6:54am On Jul 30, 2006
And the software flame war continues. This software rocks , the other one sucks - -- and we continue to flog a dead horse hoping that it will gallop. Take it from a guy who has used almost all the OTS video editing software(PC) in actual production. There is nothing like the perfect software, each has merits and demerits. Some will meet your needs based on what you are aiming for as long as you are willing to push the envelope while some will be a total waste of your time. I could go ahead and list in a nutshell the merits and demerits of Premiere, Vegas, media Studio, Edius and co but that will be extrememly OT.

I personally use Premiere for editing not because it is the best (nothing like the best) but because of the fact it make timeline scrubbing a breeze, yes I said timeline scrubbing, why? Because 90% of what I do require rigorous audio/video synchronization. Don't get me wrong here, Adobe Premiere has lots of incredible features but the timeline is the only reason I chose it instead of Vegas/Media Studio etc etc. For compositing and effects I use After Effects because of the friendly GUI and hassle free layer manipulation. The only problem I have with After Effects so far is the native color keyer. This feature sucks big time and only works when you have a perfect green/blue screen shot. Now you can't always count on getting the perfect green screen shots because someone will always give you a phuked up green screen shot with poor DV footage full of arifacts and colors bleeding into the foreground actor thinking you are some sort of magician. If AE's native keyer is all you have in this case, YOU ARE SCREWED. With plug ins like Kelite and ultimatteAdvatage, you can hack your way through a bad greenscreen fotage. Combustion dioman keyer and discreet keyer beats AE native color keyer in every sense of it but again, with poor green screen fotta even in combustion, YOU ARE SCREWED.

I suggest you download and trial versions of Premiere, Vegas, Edius pro (From Canopus) I'd say Avid express pro but Avid's been way too stringent with their products, I am not sure there is a demo available. Take them on a spin and figure out which ones fulfils the most important things you need with minimum short falls or short falls you can live with. luckily Video edting appz are not half as complex as Compositing apps, you will have enough time to explore them to the maximum before making a decision. Don't be led astray by the software zealots. About Three years ago everyone was jumping the Maya/max bandwagon and some didn't even know what they want. I calmly viewed my options and considered what i really wanted. At the end of the day, I had to settle for Lightwave because at that time it was the best option for me as a newbie. Been using that ever since until i tried Softimage XSI. It blew the socks off my feet and I had to add it to the tool set. Now it goes like this: Model in Modo, animate in XSI and render in Lightwave. Why did bring up this case in a video editing software thread? Because it helps to underline the concept of 'use your head, chose wisely and don't close your eyes and flow with the crowd'

Good luck dude.

And before I forget, get yourself KING KONG hard drive, you going to need it and while you are at it , go grab LOTS of RAM, you heard that? LOTS OF RAM. Don't ask me why but you will be glad you did.

1 Like

Re: Video Editing Software by Seun(m): 10:35pm On Nov 18, 2006
What video editor do you know that can work with just[b] 512mb of memory[/b]? (Apart from Windows Movie Maker?)
Re: Video Editing Software by grafikdon: 2:27pm On Nov 19, 2006
@Seun Ulead Video Studio runs smoothly on a system with 512 MB of RAM. I tried it on such a system before and It was almost running faster than the speed of light, the rendering of a 1 GB mpeg 2 file on that software was twice faster than the more expensive Adobe Premiere.

Here's the link:

http://www.ulead.com/vs/features_plus.htm
Re: Video Editing Software by TmeD0(m): 4:51pm On Jun 12, 2008
You don't need ample HD space to edit a video?  You gotta be kidding!  Aside from ample memory (at least 1GB for basic editing) you do need every HD space you can get.  Importing the video from your camcorder requires ample HD space depending on the file format your camcorder uses.  And when you're done editing and you want to make your movie, regardless of the software you're using, the movie file is again stored in a temp directory (ya need space for that too) while it's being transcoded/encoded before burning it to disk.  

I recently came came across a free video editing software from Pinnacle called VideoSpin that can import a .mod file format that most proprietary hybrid camcorders use these days.  So far, Nero is the only one I've seen that is compatible with that file format; Adobe Premiere Pro could not recognize that file format.  Anywayz, just thought I'd mention it incase anyone has had any problem with the .mod file format.  By the way, VideoSpin is compatible with the file format incase anyone's interested.  Peace!
Re: Video Editing Software by A2J(m): 2:00pm On Sep 05, 2008
@zPixel
You can go for adobe premeier and adobe aftereffect

Adobe After Effects is not for video editing, it is mainly for adding effects to your clips, wouldn't see why adobe will have two video editing software on its shelves.

Adobe Premier = video Editing

After Effects = Adding Effects
Re: Video Editing Software by omobolaluv(f): 12:55pm On Sep 09, 2008
Hi extraman,
how are you doing today, well if you will need a colaborate here in Nigeria, i think i have one that i can recomend for you, newly open studio with all what you will need for edditing, and all you can maill him on this shittueleedris@yahoo.com or call him oon this +2348022093158 also for other that will like to work with him, you can also contact him with the same mail annd phone number, the studio is situated in lagos. estate,
[b][/b]
Re: Video Editing Software by moonraker(m): 6:58am On Oct 26, 2008
try the nero suite, very very easy to use and light

someone said and i quote, yu do not need 300gb hd.

technically, this is correct. its all depends on the type of camera yu have

and also yur import mode.

for example i have a HDX-1 sony Hi Def camorder and i shoot in HD at a resolution of 1920X1200 with 5.1ch.

obviously, we are talking abt 1080p uncompressed. a 1hr shoot will cost me 2gb of space. in my case, i would be needing 1 terabyte of harddrive

so well, my point is that its all depends on imput and output

thank you

(1) (2) (Reply)

I Need Someone To Design Flyer For 500naira 4me / Whats The Cost Of Opening An Average Photo Studio? / Picmix For Any Java Phone

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.