Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,991 members, 7,817,919 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 11:00 PM

ASUU Strike: Market Women Storm National Assembly In Protest - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / ASUU Strike: Market Women Storm National Assembly In Protest (568 Views)

Another Nationwide ASUU Strike? / Market Women Protest ASUU Strike At National Assembly / ASUU Strike (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

ASUU Strike: Market Women Storm National Assembly In Protest by Ideasroole: 6:06am On Oct 15, 2013
Traders under the aegis of National Market Women Association, Monday, stormed the National Assembly in protest, demanding that the Academic Staff Union of Universities, ASUU, call off its strike of over 100 days.
The protesters, who had been at the Ministry of Education and Office of the Head of Service, arrived the Assembly complex at 11.30a.m.
President-General of the group, Mrs Felicia Sani, who led the more than 200 protesting women, said: “We are tired of seeing our children at home. We want our children back in school. Enough of this cheap blackmail.
“We all know what they do with our year-one daughters in the university. We equally know that they sell handouts and handbooks.
“Is this not worse than corruption of the highest order?”When asked why she did not criticise the Federal Government for failing to reach an agreement with ASUU, Mrs Sani said: “Which agreement? How do you expect lecturers in state universities to earn same salaries as Federal ones? That is impossible.
“We are not educated, but you do not expect a hotel in my village to cost same price as a hotel in Abuja.
“They are located in different places. So how can a state university lecturer earn same salary with his federal counterpart?
“We are begging them for the last time. If we come out again we may have to chase them out of this country and replace them with so many jobless Nigerians.”http://www.informationng.com/2013/10/ASUU-strike-market-women-storm-national-assembly-in-protest.html
Re: ASUU Strike: Market Women Storm National Assembly In Protest by RINE1: 6:09am On Oct 15, 2013
I comment my reserve and reverse my comment
Re: ASUU Strike: Market Women Storm National Assembly In Protest by djeezy(m): 6:13am On Oct 15, 2013
Protesting in a country where the government have little or no regard for education. The government is just recalcitrant and obstinate. The strike is not having any effect on them, a protest will hardly make much effect. It's a nice feat anyway. Nigerians now travel to Ghana for education and I keep asking myself, how many Ghanians are in Nigerian universities? You might not find any. If our govt don't step up, we'll aways be lagging.
Re: ASUU Strike: Market Women Storm National Assembly In Protest by Akshow: 6:15am On Oct 15, 2013
nice one. Na small small e go de happen till we get there. when dem push us to d wall we go turn face them d oga at d top.
Re: ASUU Strike: Market Women Storm National Assembly In Protest by DesChyko1(m): 6:32am On Oct 15, 2013
Good motive, Bad motivation. From her speech, she's unsure of whom they're actually angry against. For it seems they just went to lend support to the FG, not even bothering ASUU, who're the her point of attack.. It's like trying to open a bottle of coke at the wrong end with a cork opener.

(1) (Reply)

ASUU Sets 4 Months' Salaries, Implementation As Conditions For Ending Strike / 2013/2014 PTDF Overseas Scholarship Aptitude Test Candidates, Let's Meet Here / FG UG BEA Scholarship Aspirants Lets Meet And Share Important Info.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 9
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.