Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,749 members, 7,817,079 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 03:38 AM

UNICAL Hosts Universities Debating Championship - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / UNICAL Hosts Universities Debating Championship (7823 Views)

UNILAG Wins All Nigerian Universities Debating Championship 2015 / Unilag 2014 2nd All Nigeria Universities Debating Championship Postponed. / Nigeria 2013 Pan-african Universities Debating Championship, PAUDC Result (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

UNICAL Hosts Universities Debating Championship by Tolexander: 1:34pm On Oct 16, 2013
A championship expected to foster the intellectual capacity of students and prepare grounds for budding student politicians in Nigerian universities will be hosted by the University of Calabar (UNICAL), an official said.

The Dean of Students Affair of UNICAL, Prof. Eyong Ubana Eyong, made the plan known during an interactive session with newsmen in Calabar on Tuesday.

The First All Nigeria Universities Debating Championship billed for Oct 20 through Oct. 26 will precede the Sixth Pan-African Universities Debate championship which the university will also host from Nov. 29 to Dec. 8, Eyong said.

He said the debate was an all students affair to promote the culture of debate in tertiary institutions, where the culture of listening, dialogue and acceptance of superior argument to change the course of action were encouraged.

He said that the theme of the debate would be “Corruption, Insecurity and National Development’’, to reflect Nigeria’s current challenges.

Also, Mr David Ejim, a student debater, said the debate would be recorded and streamed on the social media for students at home due to the current strike by members of the Academic Staff Union of Universities.

Ejim, who will feature in the tournament for UNICAL Debating Club, said the institution was hoping to host to win.

He said that the debate was part of the development of young people in Nigeria.

He said that 11 universities out of the 102 universities in Nigeria had registered for the tournament, which would use the British Parliamentary Debate format to encourage critical thinking and discourse.

In his speech, Mr Franklin David, the Chief Adjudicator for the debate, said each of the participating institutions would present two debating teams and one adjudicator at the championship.

He said the idea was to help the students in critical thinking and tolerance of opinion.

“In Nigeria we are used to criticising policies of government and politicians, but in this debate we will also not only criticise but proffer solutions. (NAN)
- See more at: http://www.vanguardngr.com/2013/10/unical-hosts-nigeria-universities-debating-championship/#sthash.xYqMmpfv.dpuf
orisun

4 Likes

Re: UNICAL Hosts Universities Debating Championship by jaryeh(m): 2:01pm On Oct 16, 2013
My friend told me it would make frontpage,i never believed until I saw it.

All thanks to ASUU for making it possible(first to comment). If una see ASUU president make una help me greet am o.

en en

@topic.
Shey na this one we dey talk abi make oga Jonah answer ASUU make man pikin go school.

Nairalanders,make una no vex jare,na wetin ASUU don cause be this.

2 Likes

Re: UNICAL Hosts Universities Debating Championship by Oyetboy(m): 4:23pm On Oct 16, 2013
Ok
Re: UNICAL Hosts Universities Debating Championship by Nobody: 4:24pm On Oct 16, 2013
Re: UNICAL Hosts Universities Debating Championship by Rajosh(m): 4:24pm On Oct 16, 2013
#TEAM A.B.U#

1 Like

Re: UNICAL Hosts Universities Debating Championship by dagbokoncept(m): 4:25pm On Oct 16, 2013
How can one register?
Re: UNICAL Hosts Universities Debating Championship by Nobody: 4:25pm On Oct 16, 2013
Re: UNICAL Hosts Universities Debating Championship by Mexyz(m): 4:25pm On Oct 16, 2013
Not bad.....i want to be part of uniben's team o.
Re: UNICAL Hosts Universities Debating Championship by petreli08: 4:26pm On Oct 16, 2013
Lucky 2 b on d front page
Re: UNICAL Hosts Universities Debating Championship by Seyixyz: 4:26pm On Oct 16, 2013
Abeg,who mess 4 here
Re: UNICAL Hosts Universities Debating Championship by Rastamann: 4:26pm On Oct 16, 2013
He said that the theme of the debate would be “Corruption, Insecurity and National Development’’, to reflect Nigeria’s current challenges.

Hmnnn, if no be say dis corruption sef no get shame, wetin Nigerians don talk, say and do because of am, dis corruption for don vex tete commot for Nigeria!

3 Likes

Re: UNICAL Hosts Universities Debating Championship by okiuso(m): 4:26pm On Oct 16, 2013
nice development!

1 Like

Re: UNICAL Hosts Universities Debating Championship by Nobody: 4:28pm On Oct 16, 2013
Haba! Only 11 schs participating. Which way naija!

1 Like

Re: UNICAL Hosts Universities Debating Championship by Lilpapi(m): 4:28pm On Oct 16, 2013
This is a welcome development for Nigerian student
Re: UNICAL Hosts Universities Debating Championship by ibitomisi: 4:28pm On Oct 16, 2013
The first guy here, didn't read it at all.. Just wanna leave the space.. You didn't do well... Has my school registered? I doubt.... Will i ever be chosen? I doubt...... Where is my hoe jare.. Tomorrow works begin at my father's farm

3 Likes

Re: UNICAL Hosts Universities Debating Championship by udytex: 4:29pm On Oct 16, 2013
It's of no use to me...cus it won't call off ASUU strike na!
Re: UNICAL Hosts Universities Debating Championship by Sermwell(m): 4:29pm On Oct 16, 2013
G
Re: UNICAL Hosts Universities Debating Championship by Nobody: 4:29pm On Oct 16, 2013
Team OAU... Oba Awon Universities.

1 Like

Re: UNICAL Hosts Universities Debating Championship by bionicdude(m): 4:30pm On Oct 16, 2013
hope ASUU strike won't be on by den.so we can go and cheer dem to victory.Let me say hi to all d malabites and malabresses at home due to ASUU

1 Like

Re: UNICAL Hosts Universities Debating Championship by vinkolo: 4:32pm On Oct 16, 2013
What is UNICAL? Google replied error 404

1 Like

Re: UNICAL Hosts Universities Debating Championship by Nobody: 4:34pm On Oct 16, 2013
ASUU strike is turning out to be a blessing in disguise.

Ideas are just weighing In here and idea to arrest boredom grin
Re: UNICAL Hosts Universities Debating Championship by mylifeisagift(m): 4:36pm On Oct 16, 2013
Hmmmmmm
Can't wait
Re: UNICAL Hosts Universities Debating Championship by jhydebaba(m): 4:36pm On Oct 16, 2013
If na to steal money now it'll be 103 over 102, to come for debate it's just 11 over 102.

Wetin concern me sef
Re: UNICAL Hosts Universities Debating Championship by mcdokwe(m): 4:37pm On Oct 16, 2013
Lost myflair
Re: UNICAL Hosts Universities Debating Championship by Sllowppoisoon: 4:37pm On Oct 16, 2013
Students brain in dormant-mode...dz no time for any debate undecided
Re: UNICAL Hosts Universities Debating Championship by mcdokwe(m): 4:38pm On Oct 16, 2013
Wish I can get back to my best
Re: UNICAL Hosts Universities Debating Championship by Caleboha(m): 4:38pm On Oct 16, 2013
Veracity and acceptability of points made will boil down to members of the panel of judges. If they happen to be people in society renowned for their very biased, lopsided, myopic opinion on issues, its a failure already. I'll love to suggest the following panel members: 1. Wole Soyinka 2. Ben Nwabueze 3. Shekarau 4. Femi Falana 5. Any foreigner whi has lived in naija for atleast 20 years.
Re: UNICAL Hosts Universities Debating Championship by Nobody: 4:38pm On Oct 16, 2013
I subscribe to this, though I am melancholy bewildered that only 11 schools will be participating. #Shame. I welcome you all to my school
Re: UNICAL Hosts Universities Debating Championship by infoscope(m): 4:39pm On Oct 16, 2013
ok
Re: UNICAL Hosts Universities Debating Championship by Nobody: 4:39pm On Oct 16, 2013
Wanted to register with the school debating team but got discourage because the adverts were made during exams...best of luck to the participating teams.....i rep malabor till ASUU stops striking.
Re: UNICAL Hosts Universities Debating Championship by kq(m): 4:40pm On Oct 16, 2013
The Great Debaters movie comes to mind...............hmmmm
Re: UNICAL Hosts Universities Debating Championship by RozayGambino: 4:40pm On Oct 16, 2013
does anyone know the time and venue pls?

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

.......... / UNIPORT VC, Prof. Georgewill To Deliver Keynote Address At 2021 Igberetv Awards / Extra year in the University, what can I do ?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.