Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,402 members, 7,819,428 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 04:04 PM

The Greeks And The Romans - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / The Greeks And The Romans (4269 Views)

(2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Greeks And The Romans by Nobody: 10:50pm On Oct 21, 2013
sorry guys that was funny. grin
@kid good to have you back
Re: The Greeks And The Romans by macof(m): 11:03pm On Oct 21, 2013
KidStranglehold:

Thanks.

1. Okay, now I understand what you mean. wink

True the Kushites were successful at not only preventing the Romans from conquering them, but also preventing the Romans from expanding more into Africa.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=DR6Q2E08xls

2. The Greeks didn't influence Africans or Western Europeans. And you forget the Greeks were influenced by Asians and Africans themselves. They had more contact with Asians and Africans. Heck Europe as a whole was greatly influenced by Asians, even during pre-history.

3. Again the Macedonian empire at its peak never expanded into Europe. Which is my main point.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/15/Diadochi_satraps_babylon.png

They never even conquered the Italy or Iberia. I already know about them conquering Persia and Kemet. But thats not my main point. My point is the Macedonian empire at its peak never extended into most of Europe. So how can one say the Greeks influenced Western Civilization? I never said certain parts of the world weren't influenced by the Greeks, my point was that the Greeks never directly influenced Western Civilization. Again it was the Romans. Also you and other people forget that the Greeks were influenced by both Asians and Africans. The Greeks even acknowledged the Kemet influence in some of their writings. That's why I say the Greeks are a bit overrated...No offense. Yes I know how good the Greeks were, not discrediting that, but you have to remember the Greeks were influenced by other people themselves, so how can the be the most influential people?

4. Never denied that...But the Romans never conquered Persia like the Greeks did.

5. I can say no one in Asia knew about the Romans or Greeks. And yes the Romans certainly did know about the Chinese, because the Romans wanted Chinese silk. If anything, the Chinese contributed way more than the Romans or Greeks...The long list of Chinese inventions is just crazy...Everything from the fork, to cannons, gunpowder, printing, paper, wheel barrow, iron and steel, fireworks, matches, chess, card games, clocks, plows, and hoes, astronomical observatories, circulation of bodily fluids, seismographs, compass, water tight boats, large naval boats, suspension bridges, man made canals, the great wall, wooden pagodas, winnowing fan, oil and gas usage and drilling, sunspots, solar wind, maps, crank handle, bells and drums, water power, belt drive, steam engine, underwater salvaging, beer, fishing reel, stirrups, porcelain, pest control, chemical warfare, umbrella, brandy and whiskey, negative numbers, decimal system, decimal fractions, earth's magnetic field, hot air balloons, rudders, propeller, crossbows, flame throwers, flares, land mines, rockets, and much more.

Its the longest continuing civilization. Oldest continuous written language as Sanskrit, cuneiform and hieroglyphics are all dead languages, and oldest continuous calendar as Mayans, Aztecs, Indians, and Sumerian calendars died out thousands of years ago.

Most people are ignorant about China, but it has the most interesting and unbroken history spanning 5000 years....And it is the cradle of four of the greatest inventions to have huge impact on the developments of mankind's history: Compass, gunpowder, paper and printing.

But IMO the greatest contribution was the the creation of the Silk Route spanning 8000 km all the way to the port of Alexandria, the Roman Empire and Egypt. It also had a big impact on how trades between East and West were later developed.

IMO thats influence...

6. I stand corrected.

Thanks for ur contribution.
Am now interested in ancient China, I would try to get books to read on them.
I have always loved Japanese and am currently into Shinto.

These Chinese seem cool

On ur assertion of the invention of gun powder maybe in Asia but in Africa it was the fon people of dahomey who the Yoruba learnt firearms and guns from.
Re: The Greeks And The Romans by Nobody: 11:28pm On Oct 21, 2013
there's this nice old e-book on China I found on Project Gutenberg by Wolfram Eberhard. 'A History of China'. I found it was well-written and concise. you might want to check it out.

1 Like

Re: The Greeks And The Romans by Nobody: 12:39am On Oct 22, 2013
@Kails

LOL! Glad to be back.

@macof

You welcome. smiley

Chinese history is just one of my favorite history. I wasn't trying to downplay the Greeks. Trust me I know the Greeks contributed to a lot of things, but they were also influenced by other people.

True. But the first people in Africa to use gunpowder were the people of the Kanem empire. They learned it from the Ottomans and this was way before Christian Europeans set foot in Africa.
Re: The Greeks And The Romans by Nobody: 12:50am On Oct 22, 2013
KidStranglehold: @Kails

LOL! Glad to be back..

smiley smiley

you have a way with words man. that line had me cracking up! grin

(1) (2) (Reply)

The Satanic Cult That Rules The World / The Oldest Monarch Between Nnewi/ Anaedo and Onitsha/Obosi is ? / The Greatest Black City Of The Ancient World - Thebes - City Of A Hundred Gates

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.