Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,081 members, 7,811,028 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 09:09 PM

That Akwa -ocha Must Leave On - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / That Akwa -ocha Must Leave On (21498 Views)

Ogwashi-uku Carnival Taking Akwa-ocha Beyond The Ordinary / Igwe Ocha – Not Port Harcourt / Learn French Live On Nairaland!!! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

That Akwa -ocha Must Leave On by CarnivalWoman(f): 12:22am On Oct 17, 2013
Akwa –Ocha Pride of the ANIOMA people,it is the native attire worn by people of Anioma and as the name implies means ‘’Cloth that is white or better still white cloth ‘’ it is the traditional cloth worn and used by the ANIOMA speaking tribe of Delta –state otherwise known and referred to as ‘’Delta -Igbo, it is worn mostly during important occasions such as:

• Traditional titled ceremonies
• Cultural Festivals
• Marriage ceremonies
• Burial
• National and state ceremonies
and any other occasion that is considered special

CONVENER / CONCEPT DEVELOPER:
Anthonia Dooshima Oguah ,

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: That Akwa -ocha Must Leave On by CarnivalWoman(f): 12:33am On Oct 17, 2013
Carnival Woman: Akwa –Ocha Pride of the ANIOMA people,it is the native attire worn by people of Anioma and as the name implies means ‘’Cloth that is white or better still white cloth ‘’ it is the traditional cloth worn and used by the ANIOMA speaking tribe of Delta –state otherwise known and referred to as ‘’Delta -Igbo, it is worn mostly during important occasions such as:

• Traditional titled ceremonies
• Cultural Festivals
• Marriage ceremonies
• Burial
• National and state ceremonies
and any other occasion that is considered special

AKWA -OCHA FASHION SHOW COMING SOON

CONVENER / CONCEPT DEVELOPER:
Anthonia Dooshima Oguah

AIMs : To sustain the legacy of weavers and encourage the interest to weave for commercial purpose as well as promote and awaken the interest and usage by the people of Anioma and the world in general for ethic recognition

Mission : To contribute to the promotion of the Anioma Identity worldwide

The Akwa-Ocha Fashion show is the first in the history of Anioma region, it is a fashion show that is inspired by the desire to sustain its legacy both in the act of weaving the attire and in the minds of the wearer. Akwa-Ocha is simply ‘’White Cloth’’ it is the native attire worn predominantly by the Enuani people of Delta –state Nigeria.
Akwa-Ocha has been in existence for centuries , however it is gradually losing its value, recongnition and interest among the Anioma people who are the original weavers and wearers the reason for this uncommon dislike cannot be explained, this is what informed the desire of the convener of the fashion show, Anthonia Oguah to help propagate the need to revive the fast fading use of Akwa-Ocha by the people of Anioma to occasions as a way to redeem it.

Re: That Akwa -ocha Must Leave On by CarnivalWoman(f): 12:44am On Oct 17, 2013
[quote author=Carnival Woman][/quote]

Re: That Akwa -ocha Must Leave On by odumchi: 4:28am On Oct 17, 2013
Nice. The akwa ocha is also considered regalia in parts of Anambra and Rivers. The Ogbaru people (from which Osadebe hails) also celebrate it. They're spread throughout Ogbaru, Oshimili, and Ndoni LGAs.
Re: That Akwa -ocha Must Leave On by CarnivalWoman(f): 12:22pm On Oct 17, 2013
Interesting to hear that there is / are some other Igbo community that wears the Akwa-Ocha apart from the Delta-Igbo Enuani people. This is news to me and to my crew on the Akwa-ocha legacy project, would will be nice if you send us pictures of the people of Ogbaru during any function of theirs wearing the Akwa-ocha similar to our's in Delta Igbo, please help us. Thank you for sharing this vital info with us. (And thanks also to the Carnival woman who shared the story of Akwa-Ocha with you all , otherwise we would not have know your information as well , .. we learn everyday )

Re: That Akwa -ocha Must Leave On by Nobody: 1:51pm On Oct 17, 2013
Omg I've been looking for this material- it's name and fabric. My mum had it back then. I was asking my sisters recently if they recall the dress, and they were looking at me morosely. Anyway thanks for the thread.

1 Like

Re: That Akwa -ocha Must Leave On by CarnivalWoman(f): 4:30pm On Oct 17, 2013

Re: That Akwa -ocha Must Leave On by NRIPRIEST(m): 7:12pm On Oct 17, 2013
Akwa ocha is very popular in Anambra,especially,the titled men and women like. It is a symbol of purity and dignity. Most men with the revered Agbalanze title of Nze n' Ozo will wear Akwaocha,women with the Odu title will definitely wear Akwaocha,men of Nze n' Ozo will wear it and a widow during mourning will switch from Akwa ojii to Akwaocha after some months. In most shrines in Igbo land you will likely see the Akwaocha wrapped around the sacred tree. The kings of the Igboland are known for their Akwaocha robe. So,I don't think the Akwaocha is culture is exclusive to Ndi Anioma. Daalu.

1 Like

Re: That Akwa -ocha Must Leave On by Abagworo(m): 8:12pm On Oct 17, 2013
NRI PRIEST: Akwa ocha is very popular in Anambra,especially,the titled men and women like. It is a symbol of purity and dignity. Most men with the revered Agbalanze title of Nze n' Ozo will wear Akwaocha,women with the Odu title will definitely wear Akwaocha,men of Nze n' Ozo will wear it and a widow during mourning will switch from Akwa ojii to Akwaocha after some months. In most shrines in Igbo land you will likely see the Akwaocha wrapped around the sacred tree. The kings of the Igboland are known for their Akwaocha robe. So,I don't think the Akwaocha is culture is exclusive to Ndi Anioma. Daalu.

Its true and is worn by Nze n'Ozo in Imo State too with red cap, eagle feather and elephant tusk to complement. I guess its a part of the core Igbo culture. The outlying parts of Igboland don't have it as they have Ekpe and Oha culture.
Re: That Akwa -ocha Must Leave On by CarnivalWoman(f): 11:43pm On Oct 17, 2013
Thank You all for sending in your comments which is very informative , however help us with pictures of the Akwaocha you have described lets see if we are all on the same page with regards to the Akwa-ocha being described in here. This is for clarification as we educate the public please help get your Eastern Akwaocha. Dalu nu

Re: That Akwa -ocha Must Leave On by Abagworo(m): 12:32am On Oct 18, 2013

1 Like

Re: That Akwa -ocha Must Leave On by bigfrancis21: 12:43am On Oct 18, 2013
Re: That Akwa -ocha Must Leave On by Abagworo(m): 12:48am On Oct 18, 2013

Re: That Akwa -ocha Must Leave On by CarnivalWoman(f): 8:49am On Oct 18, 2013
Nice effort but as you can see in your picture these dancers are wearing plain white cloth and not Akwa-Ocha that the ENUANI people (Delta ANIOMA Igbo are wearing ) with all due respect compare yours and what we have show cased in here as Akwa-Ocha. thank you for trying.
Re: That Akwa -ocha Must Leave On by Nobody: 10:28am On Oct 18, 2013
Indeed. What the Anioma call Akwa Ocha is a distinctively patterned cloth... not just any white fabric.

2 Likes

Re: That Akwa -ocha Must Leave On by Abagworo(m): 3:28pm On Oct 18, 2013
Radoillo: Indeed. What the Anioma call Akwa Ocha is a distinctively patterned cloth... not just any white fabric.

That white george tha Ozos tie during "ahia ozo" and their lolos tie to cover their breast which is also called "akwa ocha" is it not same thing? In more recent times the title is usually inscribed on the material. I believe it serves different purposes for the central Igbo area from what it does for Anioma but it doesn't exist in the fringes of Igboland like Southern Imo, Abia and Ebonyi.

1 Like

Re: That Akwa -ocha Must Leave On by NRIPRIEST(m): 5:26pm On Oct 18, 2013
Radoillo: Indeed. What the Anioma call Akwa Ocha is a distinctively patterned cloth... not just any white fabric.

I guess the Op meant a distinct particular design of Akwaocha which the Enuanis are known for. However,we must not forget the tradition which brought rise to the Akwaocha and the subsequent designs.

Anioma ekeneem unu.
Re: That Akwa -ocha Must Leave On by NRIPRIEST(m): 5:30pm On Oct 18, 2013
By the way,I love the way the drummers look...very Igboid and original.

Nri di uso.

1 Like

Re: That Akwa -ocha Must Leave On by ezeagu(m): 8:25pm On Oct 18, 2013
I always thought refashioning these materials into wedding dresses or t-shirts is sort of like cutting up a sari or kimono and making a tracksuit out of them. I feel like if you're going to go traditional, and not just ankara, then go the whole way.

There's also a cloth known as akwa mmiri which I think is just the general white one.
Re: That Akwa -ocha Must Leave On by Ikenganri(m): 4:33am On Oct 19, 2013
At op, i think akwa ocha is akwa ocha despite the pattern. Akwa ocha literally means white cloth in igbo language. So the pattern on is irrelevant or do you have another motive ?
Re: That Akwa -ocha Must Leave On by CarnivalWoman(f): 2:51pm On Oct 19, 2013
The modus operandi dear friends is that Akwa-Ocha as used by the ANIOMA people of Delta-State is not JUST white cloth, the Enuani people refer to their patterned white cloth as AKWA-OCHA as indicated in all pictures displayed. What others refer to as Akwa-ocha seem's like an ordinary white cloth that can be bought off the market. AKWA-OCHA in Delta-state is beyond a white piece of cloth, in Delta AKWA-OCHA is taken seriously , Woven neatly in hand-made , tasking and very expensive. It can not be bought off the shelves but on demand just like the beautiful AKWETE

Take a look once again at what we the Enuani people (Ndi-ANIOMA ) know as Akwa-Ocha, you can also see in the second picture the process of making the Akwa-ocha (similar to the labor involve in weaving Akwete ....pls investigate this at your pleasure ) Indeed, Akwa-ocha in Delta state is Unique gentlemen , however I appreciate this discussion so much as it has enabled me to dig further into the Divine Akwa-Ocha of my origin . Feel free to share more culture related discussions whenever as I am here to learn . God bless us all To God be all the Glory.

Photos Courtesy: OGWASHI-UKWU CARNIVAL , OFAAC , NDI-ANIOMA and UMU-ANIOMA WORLDWIDE ..

1 Like

Re: That Akwa -ocha Must Leave On by Swithoni: 11:36am On Nov 24, 2013
I'm so impressed,I'm from Isi-Uzo lga in Enugu state but my town Neke according to oral tradition emigrated from Ogwashi-ukwu in Delta state..My fiance is from Ndokwa,is the Akwa Ocha allowed culturally in our traditional marriage as ild love to wear it lastly..
Re: That Akwa -ocha Must Leave On by CarnivalWoman(f): 7:08pm On Nov 27, 2013
Yes Akwa-Ocha is allowed for use during traditional marriage in Delta Igbo including Ndokwa and any where else in the world since it is a form of dressing . Thank you for stopping over the page you are appreciated. Take a look at how this couple wore theirs on their traditional marriage day

Re: That Akwa -ocha Must Leave On by CarnivalWoman(f): 10:53pm On Nov 09, 2015
CarnivalWoman:
Yes Akwa-Ocha is allowed for use during traditional marriage in Delta Igbo including Ndokwa and any where else in the world since it is a form of dressing . Thank you for stopping over the page you are appreciated. Take a look at how this couple wore theirs on their traditional marriage day

1 Like

Re: That Akwa -ocha Must Leave On by CarnivalWoman(f): 1:38am On Nov 10, 2015
[quote author=CarnivalWoman post=39856475][/quote]

Re: That Akwa -ocha Must Leave On by CarnivalWoman(f): 2:20am On Nov 10, 2015
[quote author=CarnivalWoman post=39858969][/quote]

Re: That Akwa -ocha Must Leave On by CarnivalWoman(f): 1:46am On Aug 21, 2023
CarnivalWoman:
Thank You all for sending in your comments which is very informative , however help us with pictures of the Akwaocha you have described lets see if we are all on the same page with regards to the Akwa-ocha being described in here. This is for clarification as we educate the public please help get your Eastern Akwaocha. Dalu nu

Re: That Akwa -ocha Must Leave On by CarnivalWoman(f): 1:47am On Aug 21, 2023
[quote author=CarnivalWoman post=125249029][/quote]

(1) (Reply)

Dark Skinned Biracial People / Ikeja Royal Families Unveil Tajudeen Muritala As New Monarch / Are You From Urhobo,in Urhobo,or Can Speak Urhobo Please Reply

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.