Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,945 members, 7,810,619 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 12:11 PM

6 Geo Political Zones - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 6 Geo Political Zones (53236 Views)

Which Ethnic Group Is The Majority In South South Geo Political Zone / Inec Releases Total Number Of Eligible Voters For 6 Geo Political Zone / Fashola, Obi Disagree On Geo-political Zones, Constitutional Amendment (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

6 Geo Political Zones by vigasimple(m): 9:31pm On Jul 04, 2008
1. First I would like if anyone has an up to date map of nigeria with the 6 geo political zone as it is divided with appopriate boundries (possible to also list states within those zones) to please upload it on this site.

If not, can we break it down as in

a. North west states
b. North central states
c.  North east states
d. South west states
e. South east states
f.  South south states

2. Now that the PHCN is now considering power(as in elecricity) sharing bewteen this 6 geo political zones, at least a timetable of days and hours in fair share should be published. even if each zone has electricity solidly in 12 hours per day at least they can use it during those periods, and put their generators ready for the rest 12 hours.

Now, the full details is still not clear, Are we talking of 12 hours in every 24 hours or in every 7 days or exactly what?

3. That takes us to the next question, If it is 12 hours per day per each zone, when did PHCN and th goverment hope that we can be on 18hours per day ,  then 24 hours, we(as in Nigerians) need a honest workable timeline. or would they just go from 12 hours to 24 hours of previous darkness system. even a quality timetabled  6 hours uninterupted electricty rationing as used to done in Ghana will not be a bad idea as long as everything is consistent.

4.  Finally, somebody has suggested on this forum somewhere before, in order to take pressure of the main capitals like lagos, Abuja and portharcourt, it is high time that the government designate a special zonal headquarters/areas for Trade/business in each of the 6 geo political zones, it can built over 10/20 years but we will have proper regions, and we should avoid using major business towns already known/established. We should simply find somewhere in the middle of each zone to locate where possible. That would aid development and reduce concentration in lagos?abuja and Port harcourt.

I want well meaning Nigerian to discuss the above in a sensible way rather than bashing or name calling as we know of some people on this site who simply do not come up with constructive criticism let alone ideas.

God bless Nigerian and her people.
Re: 6 Geo Political Zones by vigasimple(m): 3:36pm On Jul 05, 2008
The other question I will like to ask the forum is that

HOW COME DID PHCN DID NOT USE RATIONING ALL ALONG WHEN WE HAVE EVEN 1500MW OR 3500MW when we know that those MW are not sufficient for the whole country at the same time or have they being doing it silently taking lights sometimes 1 or 2 weeks at a stretch.

I think they are still being economical with the truth. at 900MW HOW ARE THEY GOING TO ACHIEVE 12 HOURS PER DAY PER REGION?

open to you Nairalanders
Re: 6 Geo Political Zones by blacksta(m): 4:52pm On Jul 05, 2008
U guys are a bunch of dreamers if level of corruption in nigeria was not high maybe the power rationing will work. Please don't hype up your expectations only to be dissapointed. What we need in nigeria are leaders with a vision not rationing a broken system
Re: 6 Geo Political Zones by onyinye2(f): 4:56pm On Jul 05, 2008
blacksta:

You guys are a bunch of dreamers if level of corruption in nigeria was not high maybe the power rationing will work. Please don't hype up your expectations only to be dissapointed. What we need in nigeria are leaders with a vision not rationing a broken system

we need more than a nigerian president with a vision. the president of Zimbabwe had a vision and now look at it. they need a president whose veins dont over flow with vengence or greed. who wants to help his people of today and tomorrow. and they need to lighten his power and create an order of Checks and Balances. in which he is not able to lude money to their private bank accounts. just a thought. undecided
Re: 6 Geo Political Zones by DisGuy: 6:40pm On Jul 06, 2008
All geo political zones should be challenged to generate at least 1000MW each
to add to the already existing MW being generated
Re: 6 Geo Political Zones by vigasimple(m): 10:07pm On Jul 06, 2008
@ Dis guy,

That is the premises of which I thought of before starting this thread.

If things are broken down and regionialised. Every region will be in a hurry to ensure that 'their people' and businesses have power.

Until we device a means for what works and what does not work we are fooling ourselves.

We are pretty sure we need about 60,000 MW which equates to 10,000MW per each geo political zone.

So, if  every region build say 1500MW each year over 10 years consistently we would have enough to meet the present and future growth, because as we develop, more energy will be require. So 1500MW for each region over 10 years will be 90,000 in 10 ,years.

Building the power system is not the only issue but maintaince contract for 10 years with adequate cross checking and severe penalty for such 'checkers' if they are compromised in their duties. Those cheking must be video recorded as they going about it and called several independent experts appointed randomly by possibly memebers of the public from registers and members of the public to be there on those inspections and videos to show Nigerians.

Even though it may be technical but once the whole thing is explained in laymans language, ordinary people are not stupid.
Re: 6 Geo Political Zones by landis(m): 7:19am On Jul 07, 2008
We are pretty sure we need about 60,000 MW which equates to 10,000MW per each geo political zone.

each 6region should be be free to handle their own project. South West surely need more power than say North East: it is almost empty there.

But power is not our problem. This is just effect of our problem like everything else.

Our key problem is our Politics. Given our nature, we should not be practice presidential system of government.

We should rather have 6-presidents from each of the six regions. We should practice collegiate system: equality of all region

1. Each of the 6 Presidents must agree on Policy otherwise its dead; no policy is detrimental to any region.
2. In any year, based on alphabetical order; there would be one-main president; to receive visitors and sign on behalf of others: no killing for elections
3. Each region can remove its President at any time if 1million signature collected
4. Presidential election would be done based on regions: so if you rig wrong guy, your region only surffer not whole of Nigeria.
5. After 6years, all the batches would go and never come back.
6. Each of the President must speak 1 language from all of the 6 regions.
Re: 6 Geo Political Zones by vigasimple(m): 9:52pm On Jul 08, 2008
landis:

each 6region should be be free to handle their own project. South West surely need more power than say North East: it is almost empty there.

But power is not our problem. This is just effect of our problem like everything else.

Our key problem is our Politics. Given our nature, we should not be practice presidential system of government.

We should rather have 6-presidents from each of the six regions. We should practice collegiate system: equality of all region
1. Each of the 6 Presidents must agree on Policy otherwise its dead; no policy is detrimental to any region.
2. In any year, based on alphabetical order; there would be one-main president; to receive visitors and sign on behalf of others: no killing for elections
3. Each region can remove its President at any time if 1million signature collected
4. Presidential election would be done based on regions: so if you rig wrong guy, your region only surffer not whole of Nigeria.
5. After 6years, all the batches would go and never come back.
6. Each of the President must speak 1 language from all of the 6 regions.

Most of what you said highlighted above has some merit to it but 6 VP rotating to become President for a period of 2 years will be much better. The only reason  for the Vp of each region becoming President is to break the 'hold' by our Northern ownership of the office of the Presidency.

There is also the 2 Houses of Parliament who have also become thorn in the side of the President sometimes rightly sometimes wrongly especially threathening impeachment to extract monies from the Presidency and also stealing stealing that both the Presidency and legislature enjoy with the nations inadequate and mismanaged misprioritised nations resources.

I hope we can all begin to find meaningful idea to improve our Govt and our country.

May God continue to bless Nigeria and her people.
Re: 6 Geo Political Zones by chidichris(m): 3:33pm On Jul 09, 2008
nigerians believe and work on vission so please author tell us, which vission are we sharing with you? vission 2020,2030 or 2050 power sharing of 12 hrs per day or 18 hrs per day?
why don't you ask yourself, how many hours per day are we having at the moment?
i wonder when all nigerians will get tired of all these day dreams and unfulfilled vissions.
Re: 6 Geo Political Zones by landis(m): 4:36pm On Jul 09, 2008
@vigasimple
Most of what you said highlighted above has some merit to it but 6 VP rotating to become President for a period of 2 years will be much better.

They will not be VP but 6-Presidents. All the 6 are EQUAL. And they must ALL agree to a policy.

It has to be collective decision. And not 1 'super-president' make all decion for us.

Yep. 2years each sounds better.
Re: 6 Geo Political Zones by vigasimple(m): 10:17pm On Jul 09, 2008
chidichris:

nigerians believe and work on vission so please author tell us, which vission are we sharing with you? vission 2020,2030 or 2050 power sharing of 12 hrs per day or 18 hrs per day?
why don't you ask yourself, how many hours per day are we having at the moment?
i wonder when all nigerians will get tired of all these day dreams and unfulfilled vissions.

This vision that vision is simply another name for National planning strategy.

Since our independence, the only one that was seriously pursued was the one mapped out by General Gowon and the one by Gen. Murtala specifically regarding FCT as the new capital of Nigeria which was incidentally started by OBJ as the Military Head of state.

The OBJ second coming and now Yar A'dull 2020 vision are so dubious that even primary school kids know that it has no prayers of succedding especially the way they mismanage the nations rescources.

Imagine Yar A'dull flying to Germany anytime he has some 'cold/flu and other dubious untruthful ailment' . If a President cannot even build an hospital in his own country to treat succesfully the sort of illness that he himself is suffering from. He has no chance of building hospital to treat others.

We should ideally be on our 5th national planning stage. 1960/63- 1970/73 from independence.

2.  1970/73- 1980/83   3. 1980/83 - 1990/93   4. 2000/03 - 2010/13    5. 2010/13- 2020/23

Due to military intervention we have not succesfully completed one out of those 5th periods.

Yar A'dull is currently trying to do the amalgalmation of the 4th and the 5th culminating in the 2020 vision with the so called 7 point agenda.

It is more likely to fail because of our political set up especially with a clueless President like
Yar A'dull.

Nigeria needs a sure willed power President with GOd's given wisdom to lead us so that he can inspire and motivate the country around a clearly defined, timelined action plan and stop this useless soundbite of 2020 vision without electricity to power our homes, business and economy. 

without power there is no chance of any meaningful progress.

May God give us a progressive leader.
Re: 6 Geo Political Zones by KnowAll(m): 12:12pm On Jul 10, 2008
[size=12pt]Nigeria is federation, why cant each state produce its own power, it just dosent make sense centralising power in a federal system[/size]
Re: 6 Geo Political Zones by vigasimple(m): 12:58am On Jul 13, 2008
KnowAll:

[size=12pt]Nigeria is federation, why can't each state produce its own power, it just dosent make sense centralising power in a federal system[/size]

Even each local govt can produce its own electricity/power. so state can do equally, but because of economies of scale, regions will do well and be cost effective, of course some of the apparatus may be stationed in each state or local govt for efficiency.
Re: 6 Geo Political Zones by presido1: 7:44am On Jul 13, 2008
landis:

@vigasimple
They will not be VP but 6-Presidents. All the 6 are EQUAL. And they must ALL agree to a policy.
It has to be collective decision. And not 1 'super-president' make all decion for us.
Yep. 2years each sounds better.
It will be difficult to work that way, EU is an example.
Why can't we go back to parliamentary system.
Re: 6 Geo Political Zones by vigasimple(m): 4:20pm On Jul 14, 2008
confederacy as in Canada may be the answer.

The federal govt should only be responsible for National security as in Defence. Immigration etc.

Nigeria has develop when we used to have strong regions. A westerner or easterner or south south person or their leaders will be held solely responsible if their region does not develop.

The federal system is meant for mediocres to survive and milk the country especially some uneducated and educated illiterates who have been leading our country in the wrong directions for so many years.

Strong regional govt is the key so that by using economies of scale can pull together needed resources to develop. Awolowo did it in the old western region and Zik made his imapct in the old Eastern region.

There is some patrotism and national  identity in developing your region as oppossed to the so called 'national cake' which is just been shared and export to foreign bank accounts.
Re: 6 Geo Political Zones by vigasimple(m): 11:32pm On Jul 28, 2008
6 geo political zone map please- can someone upload it
Re: 6 Geo Political Zones by landis(m): 9:34am On Jul 29, 2008
Strong regional govt is the key so that by using economies of scale can pull together needed resources to develop. Awolowo did it in the old western region and Zik made his imapct in the old Eastern region.

the problem with that is that CENTRAL still have alll the power. And we saw how this was used in western region: Akintola + Ahmadu Bello.

What we need not power-sharing but equal power.

each region MUST have equall power and they all must agree to everything or it goes to VOTING.
Re: 6 Geo Political Zones by Abagworo(m): 3:31pm On Jul 29, 2008
Nigeria needs economy zones devoid of ethnic,geographical and political sentiments.These zones should be separate from the six existing zones.
Re: 6 Geo Political Zones by vigasimple(m): 4:14pm On Jul 29, 2008
Abagworo:

Nigeria needs economy zones devoid of ethnic,geographical and political sentiments.These zones should be separate from the six existing zones.

You have just nail the thing on the head.

However, you cannot separate those zones from their political base.

The 6 zones I have in mind is an establishment of a big bussiness zone in the middle of each 6 geo political zones so that business and trades will flourish and decisions will be made locally. it will relieve Lagos, Abuja and portharcourt and businesses will be local to people.

Also transport link like rail, airports and road network linking these business zones will make it more viable than all those small lands called states when all the governors do is take federal allocation and distribute it among party stalwart, their friends, families and good night to everybody else.

The business zones should be privately run like a business to make profits as in a PLC.

Whether or not our so called 'servant leaders' has the vision is another matter because the only song they have learn to sing is 2020 Vision and 7 point agenda. if you press them properly they will tell you that it is what they have been told to say to the people.
Re: 6 Geo Political Zones by Akochi04: 6:13am On Feb 10, 2009
Vigasimple,

I have attached a JPG with the zones - it is from a paper (titled "NIGERIA: COMPLETING
OBASANJO’S LEGACY" by Richard L. Sklar, Ebere Onwudiwe, and Darren Kew) also attached. 'hope it helps.

Akochi04

Re: 6 Geo Political Zones by Looklike2: 3:12pm On Feb 10, 2009
vigasimple, what 6 zone are you talking about. nigeria constitution does not have 6 zone. it is the imagination of we igbos and our leaders.

I hate when igbos talke like this.

what zone. how do you expect to share equal position or money with others zone in nigeria, who are all are at least 2 times more populated than we igbos,

I think our leaders should stop talking the nonsense. even me igbo. i do not believe in it. I hate when politician are looking for position and what to talk about zone,

if we want to have region let have regions.

but it would not be this useless zone,

what i think is more better. is souuth east zone. since the useles yorubas people want to leave. we remove them. so we have

south east

south
middle belt
north east
north west.
and we remove all this useless yorubas,

this is the only way an igbo man can be president after yar adua.
Re: 6 Geo Political Zones by grafikdon: 10:02pm On Feb 10, 2009
Nigeria@1 aka loolalike, If you want to move to Benin Republic, go ahead but do not log in here masquerading as an "Igbo man". It's repulsive, very cheap and tasteless prank and you need to stop it. Do you not see how transparent that prank of yours is? I believe you are an adult, so conduct yourself as one.
Re: 6 Geo Political Zones by Becomrrich: 10:17pm On Feb 10, 2009
grafikdon, because I caught you doing the wrong thing. So everybody online is now me. Get a reality check.

Go look for work my brother. You see yesterday have gone. Today is going and the only thing you can call your own is tomorrow. Stop wasting your time. In the USA, you can find work. I can help you. if you want to set up your own business. reach me at Egbeomoodua@hotmail.com
Re: 6 Geo Political Zones by grafikdon: 11:25pm On Feb 10, 2009
The guilty are afraid. . .
Re: 6 Geo Political Zones by Becomrrich: 11:29am On Feb 12, 2009
grafikdon , i do not want to exchange words with you.

On the issue of 6 zone. The nigeria constitution does not recognized the 6 zone. And we the yoruba people do not recognized too.

You can not have equity in the zone, when the south west have nearly as 4 times the population of the south east.

And not only that what moral justification is it. That the south east would have 5 state , while an area with nearly 4 times its population would have 6 state.  Or moral is it that the former mid west state which have close to about the same population like the south east have 2 while you have 5. Some people are saying we should even be talking of reducing the south east state.

I am not a person that mix word. And i do believe the igbo and thier leader should be careful the way they make statement of equity.They should recognized that there is NOway , that is possible. And instead of decieving thier people. THey should come out and tell them the truth.

I have said the best for the igbos to be elected into the office of president is to support yorubas joining the republic of benin or wait till 2047 to be president.

I am about to share in the next 48 hours the satellite pictures of igbos. So anyone in doubt should  verify.

And on the issue of the north. They have that decision to make either they want to be minority in nigeria or let the yorubas go. I have better pictures now. And many of you would have the chances of listening to my voice. And I bring to you video form of the satellite picture of nigeria. And would give you the science behind the technology.

And i would say this would put any doubt to rest. And it is time for the north to make that decision. IF they fail to make that decision right. The next generation of northerner would be minority. We would see that the international community would do the right thing .   And i tell you that if Yar adua is return back to power under a nigeria with the yorubas still inside. It would be assumed he rigged the election and the international community may put sanction on nigeria. And remember you have $50 billion at risk.  I think we have to make critical decision to the future of nigeria children. And I believe president Yar adua should make that ccritical decision now before the election and before it is too late.

Like the census,  the election were rigged.  And it is only a sick nation, would have mr makama and prof iwu still in office after they have conducted falsified polls and census.
Re: 6 Geo Political Zones by Becomrrich: 4:02pm On Feb 13, 2009
you run.
Re: 6 Geo Political Zones by Bialegend(m): 12:05pm On Feb 14, 2009
Looklike2:

vigasimple, what 6 zone are you talking about. nigeria constitution does not have 6 zone. it is the imagination of we igbos and our leaders.

I hate when igbos talke like this.

what zone. how do you expect to share equal position or money with others zone in nigeria, who are all are at least 2 times more populated than we igbos,

I think our leaders should stop talking the nonsense. even me igbo. i do not believe in it. I hate when politician are looking for position and what to talk about zone,

if we want to have region let have regions.

but it would not be this useless zone,

what i think is more better. is souuth east zone. since the useles yorubas people want to leave. we remove them. so we have

south east

south
middle belt
north east
north west.
and we remove all this useless yorubas,

this is the only way an igbo man can be president after yar adua.

Ewu Igbo wannabe, and you really want to live in the same country with the hausas? Which ethnic group in your makeshift nigeria is more populated than the Igbos? Name it and show us how they are. Idiots like you will swallow the rigged census as reality. Can you imagine the propaganda map above? Such was drawn by the nigerian/british propagangists to show you how small the Igbo land mass is, and it's a pity that such idiotic map will catch the slow reasoning of people like you. I have my own original map of the makeshift nigeria and igbo land mass is far greater and bigger than all of other ethnic groups in my own map. Everyone can draw his own map you know. You think only you nigerians can draw a map?

(1) (Reply)

Femi Otedola, Babangida, Jonathan & Yaradua Story / FG Shortlists Four INEC Commissioners To Succeed Jega / Buhari And Tinubu Pictured In Presidential Jet As They Leave For Abidjan

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.